PDA

View Full Version : Comparing the school (education here) and Philippines

September
19th October 2009, 14:05
As I have intoduce myself before, now I got some issue to ask for you good people, As my boyfriend had divorce and he had a daughter 6 yrs old, fortunately we are close she called me tita, I told her to call me like that and when my bf go to work and I am not busy I volunteer to send her to school as few walks away, as the days goes by I ask her what did the teacher teach you today and she said,"we play":Erm: and that was my question to her everyday I sent her to school and I chat with other mother there and I notice that school is just like a place where they can put thier kids while thier working,

In Philippines, I guess some filipinas will agree to me, isn't it when kids like 5 yrs old they start to teach ABCDEF...and like copy letter and 12345...? how come here nursery look like they just let the kids keep playing and I been managed to ask the 9 yrs old girl whilst I am in the school and I ask her if she know how to tell the time in wrist watch,(analogue type) and she said the teacher have not teach them yet or they havent got that far..

And one thing I notice, I havent seen any one yet even in my boyfriend place of work (office) a person who had a good penmanship,even thier Boss the penmanship is ugly, even the secretary I cant read it (parang kinahig ng manok) and I think again in the Philippines,most of my classmates during school days 95 percent had a good nice penmanship, or maybe teachers keep us keep writing this and that..that is why..? I ask my boyfriend about this and he said because we dont usually write we do everything in computer.

I am not ranting:) just thiking lots of things in my mind whether in the future I just let my future children study in Philippines, as I have bit of in my thought they are good in computer and of course good english as that is thier language. but.....but.....:D

In general, no wonder lots of country they hire to have filipino workers as they say filipino are smart.

GaryFifer
19th October 2009, 14:15
As I have intoduce myself before, now I got some issue to ask for you good people, As my boyfriend had divorce and he had a daughter 6 yrs old, fortunately we are close she called me tita, I told her to call me like that and when my bf go to work and I am not busy I volunteer to send her to school as few walks away, as the days goes by I ask her what did the teacher teach you today and she said,"we play":Erm: and that was my question to her everyday I sent her to school and I chat with other mother there and I notice that school is just like a place where they can put thier kids while thier working,

In Philippines, I guess some filipinas will agree to me, isn't it when kids like 5 yrs old they start to teach ABCDEF...and like copy letter and 12345...? how come here nursery look like they just let the kids keep playing and I been managed to ask the 9 yrs old girl whilst I am in the school and I ask her if she know how to tell the time in wrist watch,(analogue type) and she said the teacher have not teach them yet or they havent got that far..

And one thing I notice, I havent seen any one yet even in my boyfriend place of work (office) a person who had a good penmanship,even thier Boss the penmanship is ugly, even the secretary I cant read it (parang kinahig ng manok) and I think again in the Philippines,most of my classmates during school days 95 percent had a good nice penmanship, or maybe teachers keep us keep writing this and that..that is why..? I ask my boyfriend about this and he said because we dont usually write we do everything in computer.

I am not ranting:) just thiking lots of things in my mind whether in the future I just let my future children study in Philippines, as I have bit of in my thought they are good in computer and of course good english as that is thier language. but.....but.....:D

In general, no wonder lots of country they hire to have filipino workers as they say filipino are smart.

It's not how you write it is what you say. It is said scientists, mathematicians always have terrible writing, only teachers have time to write wonderful. The rest of us are doing practical things, and scribbling notes that only we can understand. Then we type our wonderful stuff in PC these days.

triple5
19th October 2009, 14:19
It is said scientists, mathematicians always have terrible writing, only teachers have time to write wonderful.

Teachers generally have terrible handwriting, you're right though most of us only use a pens these days for scribbling notes.

I agree with you September, at 6 years of age they should be learning ABC, 123 and telling the time.

vbkelly
19th October 2009, 14:22
agree with you sis sept. as i remembered my neice back 1994 and she was 3years old that time the montessori pre-school already teached them alphabet, pronunciation, numbers colors and etc.

September
19th October 2009, 14:23
It's not how you write it is what you say. It is said scientists, mathematicians always have terrible writing, only teachers have time to write wonderful. The rest of us are doing practical things, and scribbling notes that only we can understand. Then we type our wonderful stuff in PC these days.

Good comment, what about when or what age they will start to teach ABCDEF and 12345....:) or telling that the big hand refers to minutes and the small hand refers to hours :)

September
19th October 2009, 14:24
I agree with you September, at 6 years of age they should be learning ABC, 123 and telling the time.

Thanks mate:xxgrinning--00xx3: and thank you very much for the rep.

September
19th October 2009, 14:26
agree with you sis sept. as i remembered my neice back 1994 and she was 3years old that time the montessori pre-school already teached them alphabet, pronunciation, numbers colors and etc.

You are definitely right there as they do published or we watch in tv that two yrs old can work it out how many flags in the world and tell each of them what country was that, :rolleyes:

September
19th October 2009, 14:26
Oh dear, there is a thread who just been closed and proud to be british.

I am proud as well to be filipino

triple5
19th October 2009, 14:28
Hi vbkelly, my ex's daughter went to a montessori school. Really excellent school :xxgrinning--00xx3: Just in a year we noticed a massive difference in her intelligence and also her behaviour.

vbkelly
19th October 2009, 14:29

im glad really

vbkelly
19th October 2009, 14:32
Hi vbkelly, my ex's daughter went to a montessori school. Really excellent school :xxgrinning--00xx3: Just in a year we noticed a massive difference in her intelligence and also her behaviour.

yes you right :xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3: and now my neice is scholar in ateneo de davao university

September
19th October 2009, 14:33

True, even its expensive school, we dont regret paying it, we get what we pay in some sorta things really:xxgrinning--00xx3: now I guess I will send my future child in Philippines :icon_lol: they speak english there anyway and that is one of the most excellent school after ateneo and la salle

James Hubbard
19th October 2009, 15:07

I for one am glad :D it was a great decision. It was going on and on and on:doh

and I'm the one who opened the topic :butthead:

GaryFifer
19th October 2009, 16:38
Good comment, what about when or what age they will start to teach ABCDEF and 12345....:) or telling that the big hand refers to minutes and the small hand refers to hours :)

For me, I think it is parent teacher responsibility. My mom taught me the analogue time and tying laces,letters, numbers before 5. I went to nursery at 2 and a half. Then started school at 4 and half. From then on, I was always the youngest in the year.

I just think some parents could be lazy about teaching their own kids.

James Hubbard
19th October 2009, 16:43
By the time I finished Nursery, I could speak 6 african languages fluently, could tell you what time it was in any time zone just by looking at the sun, and could help PhD students with their research (all voluntary of course).

I was 17,

in the 10 years since graduating from Nursery to Primary school, I forgot it all :rolleyes::butthead:

GaryFifer
19th October 2009, 16:48
I was just looking for the website that discussed this before.

Have a read see what ya think

http://www.georgehernandez.com/h/xzMisc/Philippines/Stereotypes.asp

Filipinos do well with their household income in America

Leo
19th October 2009, 16:50
I have to agree I get lost when I go to parents evening and start talking about the marks they can get in an exam in maths if my daughter gets all the questions correct she will still only get a C grade gone has the old way of marking a paper

September
19th October 2009, 17:00
For me, I think it is parent teacher responsibility. My mom taught me the analogue time and tying laces,letters, numbers before 5. I went to nursery at 2 and a half. Then started school at 4 and half. From then on, I was always the youngest in the year.

Hi Gary, good for you Gary your mother can do it for you, I understand that some mother cant afford to teach thier kids as they need to go work, need to work as life in the UK is tough to expensive, but my humble opinion is,dont you think the reason why we had teacher is because teaching the kids isnt it? And parents or mother is just a follow up when they are already in the house,or some sorta helping bits.

James Hubbard
19th October 2009, 17:03
[QUOTE=September;183942]life in the UK is tough to expensive

sounds like you're in london

September
19th October 2009, 17:10
http://www.georgehernandez.com/h/xzMisc/Philippines/Stereotypes.asp

Filipinos do well with their household income in America

:) That was fair statement, basically true :icon_lol:

September
19th October 2009, 17:10
sounds like you're in london

Nope Sir:)

James Hubbard
19th October 2009, 17:12
Nope Sir:)

Cryptic!

Whereabouts are you? (if you don't mind divulging)!

I love it when people call me Sir!

GaryFifer
19th October 2009, 17:16
By the time I finished Nursery, I could speak 6 african languages fluently, could tell you what time it was in any time zone just by looking at the sun, and could help PhD students with their research (all voluntary of course).

I was 17,

in the 10 years since graduating from Nursery to Primary school, I forgot it all :rolleyes::butthead:

Must be alot of Africans in your school then. Did you complete the animal killing trial like a Spartan?

September
19th October 2009, 17:16
Cryptic!

Whereabouts are you? (if you don't mind divulging)!

I love it when people call me Sir!

East Anglia Sir:xxgrinning--00xx3:

September
19th October 2009, 17:17
Must be alot of Africans in your school then. Did you complete the animal killing trial like a Spartan?

:icon_lol: Sorry, cant help to laugh po

James Hubbard
19th October 2009, 17:19

;) I thought you had missed a great comedy opportunity, but thank Valhalla you came back to it.

Bless you sir.

GaryFifer
19th October 2009, 17:20
Hi Gary, good for you Gary your mother can do it for you, I understand that some mother cant afford to teach thier kids as they need to go work, need to work as life in the UK is tough to expensive, but my humble opinion is,dont you think the reason why we had teacher is because teaching the kids isnt it? And parents or mother is just a follow up when they are already in the house,or some sorta helping bits.

Hey my mom WAS working. Afford? It's free to teach your own kid! You just speak to him, unless it cost money to speak?:Erm:

I guess working moms become too tired to teach their kids, why they have them! :Erm:

I think it is a partnership. I mean teachers are strangers. I don't hand my pride and joy over to a complete stranger and say hey...teach him. You trust teachers really really?:Erm:

GaryFifer
19th October 2009, 17:21
East Anglia Sir:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Ah so you are a Norfolk Broad?

pennybarry
19th October 2009, 17:26

I have no idea how children learns from school here but parents should be the first teacher to their children especially when their kids is on "studies mode mood"
I onced visited a school for children here and all I've noticed is drawings, arts displays on walls.:D
I have also noticed that they have too much short courses.:bigcry:
In Pinas if you took computer eng'g, then you'll know almost everything about PC, here, it's bloody step by step, little by little. It may take 10 years to finish all.:omg:

We call it doctor writings:D
I salute Uk scientists. Isaac Newton, Galileo Galilei, Alexander Fleming :rolleyes:
My hubby too is excellent in science, which is my weakness. :icon_lol:

I am proud as well to be filipino.

So do I?:Rasp:

I agree:D

September
19th October 2009, 19:37
. And at the end of the day you need a job
WE are talking education here ,not finding a job or no job in the Philippines, I know that, we know that

Tawi2
19th October 2009, 19:43
Visit the typical pinoy school and the kids are very,very polite,check them out before school sweeping the yard and the classrooms,they always arrive early in case they get a tardy report :icon_lol:One thing that shocked me was a pinay teacher cutting a kids fringe if she thought it was too long,do that in the UK and your going to be in the papers,on the news,and out of a job :icon_lol:BUT I find kids schooled in the UK are better at adapting to new things,more self assured,and generally a good deal more independant,they figure things out and speak to adults on a one to one,swings and roundabouts :)

somebody
19th October 2009, 22:39

In the UK I have noticed the people with neat handwriting are usually no good with PC's. At my school we had writing practise but it bored me to death:D It was pretty clear even in the early eighties as long as my writing could be understood there were more pressing things to learn.

I cant comment on all classes and areas of the UK. But where I was brought up in lardy dee da surrey most kids were reading before they got to school, the alphabet was drummed into us along with numbers and times tables.
At six or seven my firends and I were creating programs on our Computers playing with science kits wheter Chemistry or electrical. Most of our toys had an educational slant to them. While in phill most of the toys are just simply toys from what I have seen.

Also much of our play was actually learning but we never knew it musical instruments, word games and others aimed at teaching us skills. I can remeber at a very stupidly early age we were being taught basic french but all as part of games.

The Wife and her two siblings went to a very good private school in Phill thanks to the hard work of her family and I went to what I think were very good schools but nothing like the equivalent.

They can write nicely and do pretty projects, but having helped on projects both while in phills and remotely im surprised how quite frankly useless some of the courses and projects were. Using wikipedia and other very dodgy sources was allowed, while most of the projects I did at school were to work in or run a business or what they now call project managment.
The Wife and her siblings do very simple courses which seem to be copying and pasting or doing things step by step.
While the projects i were set at school were very much right we want your ideas and skills to shine though not how you copied the info or found nice clip art.

My Wifes and her friends know little about the world apart form what they learned on Discovery, they dont seem to debate or hold opnions they have formed when we were ten/eleven at Junior school (the list of Unis are some of the cream of manila and jobs they have are all with blue chip companies or overseas.
But at junior school we did have lots of playtime but that from memory was very important in the office the factory or home you spend more time needing learning to adapt to those outside of the family. When we went home at least at my school we had home work from a very young age wheter school created or from my parents. So not much time to play most evenings.

While if my Children had to go to a Phill school Im sure as long as they went to a private fee paying one they would do ok as long as they had trips abroad and learned how to think for themsleves and form their own opnions.

If they were in the UK they would again have to go to a good school also, fee paying would not be such a worry i never went to a fee paying school and most of my School mates and I are in good jobs which we choose and enjoy while earning well above the national average.

A good school is a good school either in the UK or Phill with both needing input from the parents to ensure the children are fully rounded in my view.

GaryFifer
20th October 2009, 01:05
Visit the typical pinoy school and the kids are very,very polite,check them out before school sweeping the yard and the classrooms,they always arrive early in case they get a tardy report :icon_lol:One thing that shocked me was a pinay teacher cutting a kids fringe if she thought it was too long,do that in the UK and your going to be in the papers,on the news,and out of a job :icon_lol:BUT I find kids schooled in the UK are better at adapting to new things,more self assured,and generally a good deal more independant,they figure things out and speak to adults on a one to one,swings and roundabouts :)

Kids in the UK. I was listening to the radio, I'm no kidding I did a double take at how wrapped up these kids are in cotton wool.:NoNo:

Kid calls up the DJ

"I'm celebrating. Oh? Whats your name? Paul. How old are you?9:)
What you celebrating? My mom let me go to the shops on my own!

James Hubbard
20th October 2009, 08:45
The most balanced view I heard here is from "somebody" . . . nuff said!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

September
20th October 2009, 10:20
The most balanced view I heard here is from "somebody" . . . nuff said!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

I second the motion for that, a very sensible reply :xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3: Thanks for that Somebody:)

adam&chryss
20th October 2009, 10:50
i also noticed that... my son started his school at the age of 2, it's bec. he's jealous with his cousins who go to school but not him. he started to speak straight sentences when he was a year and half. by that time he can count and recite the alphabet too.
by the age of 3 they are having proper lessons and when he's 4 he can write and read.
when we went here though he can't speak proper english, i knew he'll catch up with other kids bec. he's bright. to my surprised they don't do proper lessons yet here with that age.
now he speaks english better than me and don't speak tagalog na :NoNo:
well, i'm glad that he studied in PI first before we came here. all his teachers are amazed bec. he can write and read already. i always get good comments how bright he is, from other parents too :xxgrinning--00xx3:

adam&chryss
20th October 2009, 11:04
In the UK I have noticed the people with neat handwriting are usually no good with PC's. At my school we had writing practise but it bored me to death:D It was pretty clear even in the early eighties as long as my writing could be understood there were more pressing things to learn.

I cant comment on all classes and areas of the UK. But where I was brought up in lardy dee da surrey most kids were reading before they got to school, the alphabet was drummed into us along with numbers and times tables.
At six or seven my firends and I were creating programs on our Computers playing with science kits wheter Chemistry or electrical. Most of our toys had an educational slant to them. While in phill most of the toys are just simply toys from what I have seen.

Also much of our play was actually learning but we never knew it musical instruments, word games and others aimed at teaching us skills. I can remeber at a very stupidly early age we were being taught basic french but all as part of games.

The Wife and her two siblings went to a very good private school in Phill thanks to the hard work of her family and I went to what I think were very good schools but nothing like the equivalent.

They can write nicely and do pretty projects, but having helped on projects both while in phills and remotely im surprised how quite frankly useless some of the courses and projects were. Using wikipedia and other very dodgy sources was allowed, while most of the projects I did at school were to work in or run a business or what they now call project managment.
The Wife and her siblings do very simple courses which seem to be copying and pasting or doing things step by step.
While the projects i were set at school were very much right we want your ideas and skills to shine though not how you copied the info or found nice clip art.

My Wifes and her friends know little about the world apart form what they learned on Discovery, they dont seem to debate or hold opnions they have formed when we were ten/eleven at Junior school (the list of Unis are some of the cream of manila and jobs they have are all with blue chip companies or overseas.
But at junior school we did have lots of playtime but that from memory was very important in the office the factory or home you spend more time needing learning to adapt to those outside of the family. When we went home at least at my school we had home work from a very young age wheter school created or from my parents. So not much time to play most evenings.

While if my Children had to go to a Phill school Im sure as long as they went to a private fee paying one they would do ok as long as they had trips abroad and learned how to think for themsleves and form their own opnions.

If they were in the UK they would again have to go to a good school also, fee paying would not be such a worry i never went to a fee paying school and most of my School mates and I are in good jobs which we choose and enjoy while earning well above the national average.

A good school is a good school either in the UK or Phill with both needing input from the parents to ensure the children are fully rounded in my view.

true!!! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

in PI school is all about learning, while here playing is learning.
when i asked my son if he likes the school here. he said yes bec. they are only playing.
in any way school really starts from home. parents are their first teachers :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Sophie
20th October 2009, 11:22

I totally agree :xxgrinning--00xx3:

September
20th October 2009, 13:20
well, i'm glad that he studied in PI first before we came here. all his teachers are amazed bec. he can write and read already. i always get good comments how bright he is, from other parents too :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Very true Adamchryss, at least he got strong foundation, You made it he have strong foundation, and if the future you sent him back to Philippines, he is late to catch up the subject, only thing he had is he is good speak english:cwm34: and little bit of....:rolleyes:

We been invited to a lunch last Sunday, and I discussed it to a british guy marry a filipina nurse and he agreed to me as well, givin the example of filipina nurse and english nurse, but we cant have perfect in everything I guess

adam&chryss
20th October 2009, 13:42
thinking about it also, in PI primary schools only last 2-3 hours a day while here in UK it's 6hrs/day.

in regards to penmanship. we were brought in PI using writing papers or writing notebooks where we have to write following the blue and red lines. here they don't use notebooks and they don't use papers with blue and red lines.

my son has this spelling notebook which they write where the lines are vertically printed :doh i thought my son had mistaken writing on it, he said that's how their teacher asked them to write. which it was proven coz i saw his classmates notebooks as well.

learning in PI is a long process while learning here is like they do it 'shortcut'. for me education here and in PI both have their advantages and dis-advantages.

Jay&Zobel
20th October 2009, 13:55
true!!! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

in PI school is all about learning, while here playing is learning.
when i asked my son if he likes the school here. he said yes bec. they are only playing.
in any way school really starts from home. parents are their first teachers :xxgrinning--00xx3:

I have to agree with adam&chriss. In the PI the system is more of the traditional one Teacher-to-student style of education.
While here in the UK, it's playing while learning. They are more hands-on when it comes to crafts, experiments and the likes.

Hmmm... I might send my child to PI for his basic education hahaha :Erm::D

September
20th October 2009, 14:57
Hmmm... I might send my child to PI for his basic education hahaha :Erm::D
My future plan as well..... and since your child is british nationality, child dont have problem to go back and live and find a job back to UK:xxgrinning--00xx3: