PDA

View Full Version : Under old system

fatedtoloveyou
20th October 2009, 19:20
Im not under tier 4 but my school told me that Im only entitled to work 20 hours/week. Under the old system I can work 40 hours/week. So can I work 40 hours/week coz Im under the old system? thanks

joebloggs
20th October 2009, 19:53
work is permitted for up to 20 hours each week rising to full time hours during holiday periods under the old or new rules for students

fatedtoloveyou
20th October 2009, 19:59
its different...other school it allows student to work more than 20 hours per week if youre under the old system. not unlike tier 4 its limited.

joebloggs
20th October 2009, 20:18
you were never allowed to work more than 20hrs, but on some nvq courses some did, because nvq is mostly work experience, thats why the gov changed it so you have to spend time in a class room now..

fatedtoloveyou
20th October 2009, 20:25
im nvq so i can work 40 hours because others work more than 40 hours.

James Hubbard
21st October 2009, 05:56

That's a logical fallacy.

Assumption 1) I am an accountant
Assumption 2) Other accountants lie and steal
Assumption 3) It's OK for me to do so.

Not the case, because between Assumption 2 and assumption 3 you need to make the logical leap from "doing" something to it being "ok to do" the thing.

So remove Assumption 2b, and your conclusion is logically not valid.

However.

I once knew a chinese student, let's call him "Mr Dong" (as that is his name)

1) He is only allowed to work 20 hours
2) He worked more than 20 hours
3) He left country for a holiday
4) He wasn't allowed back into country again
5) It's because of his work time being above what he's allowed.

So ... in closing, all I'll say is ... you want to take the risk?

vbkelly
21st October 2009, 06:09
That's a logical fallacy.

Assumption 1) I am an accountant
Assumption 2) Other accountants lie and steal
Assumption 3) It's OK for me to do so.

Not the case, because between Assumption 2 and assumption 3 you need to make the logical leap from "doing" something to it being "ok to do" the thing.

So remove Assumption 2b, and your conclusion is logically not valid.

However.

I once knew a chinese student, let's call him "Mr Dong" (as that is his name)

1) He is only allowed to work 20 hours
2) He worked more than 20 hours
3) He left country for a holiday
4) He wasn't allowed back into country again
5) It's because of his work time being above what he's allowed.

So ... in closing, all I'll say is ... you want to take the risk?

agree! but some student visa people their intention to coming here is to work work and work, they don't use the purpose of their visa as long as they are here in the uk

James Hubbard
21st October 2009, 06:18
agree! but some student visa people their intention to coming here is to work work and work, they don't use the purpose of their visa as long as they are here in the uk

As soon as the inspectors get a whiff, then the aforementioned will be out on their :butthead: . . . if you get a student visa on false pretenses, it'll be a black mark against you for the rest of your life! Not worth it. To work, you get a work permit. It is a courtesy to students that they are allowed to work 20 hours. They should just say "thank you. I'll take it" instead of being greedy! :doh

vbkelly
21st October 2009, 06:28
hopefully the tax people are blind and don't see them working many hours.

James Hubbard
21st October 2009, 06:36
hopefully the tax people are blind and don't see them working many hours.

well, to be frank, if people abuse the system, they deserve to be caught. :doh

vbkelly
21st October 2009, 06:54

agree!:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

joebloggs
21st October 2009, 07:33
Im not under tier 4 but my school told me that Im only entitled to work 20 hours/week. Under the old system I can work 40 hours/week. So can I work 40 hours/week coz Im under the old system? thanks

applicants for study permits may take part-time or holiday work but must not engage in the following:

* Work for more than 20 hours a week during term time (except in vacation periods), unless it is a work placement and part of a study program and the educational institution agrees.
* Conduct business, be self-employed, or provide services as a professional sports person or entertainer.
* Work full-time in a permanent job.

so you cannot work 40 hrs

darren-b
21st October 2009, 08:01
As soon as the inspectors get a whiff, then the aforementioned will be out on their :butthead: . . . if you get a student visa on false pretenses, it'll be a black mark against you for the rest of your life! Not worth it. To work, you get a work permit. It is a courtesy to students that they are allowed to work 20 hours. They should just say "thank you. I'll take it" instead of being greedy! :doh

The problem is the system is it still doesn't do enough to ensure international students can actually afford to study here, and many agencies don't help by suggesting as a NVQ student you can work full-time and earn a decent income. I am not saying it is the case here but you are then left with students who need to work full-time not because they are greedy but to live and pay back any expenses it cost them to get the visa.

joebloggs
21st October 2009, 08:15
the confusion caused by how many hours you can work should be ended for those on NVQ courses,

as for those on VV's or for people who are claiming asylum work paid or unpaid is WORK, and the 20hrs limited should be applied to those on NVQ's to.

pennybarry
21st October 2009, 14:38

That means 20 hrs legal + 20 hrs cash on hand(illegal):omg:
The choice is yours, take the risk or stay legally.
But be very very careful!:doh

How to report those abusing the system dear James? :Rasp::Help1:

James Hubbard
21st October 2009, 16:09
How to report those abusing the system dear James? :Rasp::Help1:

Would you like to report, or do you mean hypothetical?

Generally, the inland revenue have skilled investigators whose job it is to sniff out this stuff.

If you want to report them, call HM revenue and customs and complain, they'll take it from there . . . I think

something like that.

I'm no accountant, so don't quote me!:ARsurrender:

darren-b
21st October 2009, 17:39

Generally, the inland revenue have skilled investigators whose job it is to sniff out this stuff.

If you want to report them, call HM revenue and customs and complain, they'll take it from there . . . I think

something like that.

If someone is being employed illegally (ie not as per the terms of their visa) the BIA provide an email addresses you can email the details to.

cheesewiz
21st October 2009, 18:45

student not allowed to work morethan 40 hours unless during school holidays. The money you are going to spend for your visa, school fee, accomodation etc think million times if your purpose it just to work bec you can't survive here for only 20 hours work and if you work morethan that you are in big trouble, IMO.

September
21st October 2009, 19:19
Dont insist the 40 hours, or you will have nothing and if you caught even 5 hours you will get nothing but sent back to phil. Follow the law/rules

darren-b
22nd October 2009, 06:36
I dont think students should be allowed to work at all, if they can not afford to study here then they should not come... UK and European students have more of a right to work in term time and if these jobs are taken by overseas students it is not fair......... Times are hard now and it has to be jobs for UK passport holder first,, then EU passport holders.....I think there should be a major overhaul of what students can do... Most of the problems come from pakistan, and the amount of fake schools in the UK has grown..... If they are told that they can not work under any circumstances, and have to have at least 10k in there bank accounts... the work will be available for UK students, its hard enough for them, they have to pay back loans etc....and the foreign students go home, and never pay back the loan,s its a completly unfair playing field

The new system requires you to have somewhere in the region of 10K in your account for 30 days prior to applying, but the there is no real checks to see if you can actually afford to spend that money or if it is just borrowed. Upping the amount may reduce the number applying, but not stop the problem.

Stopping international students working totally would just make it more likely for some students to work illegally.

pennybarry
22nd October 2009, 07:37

something like that.

I know how to report to HM Revenue.
How about overstayer?
I need to google it.:icon_lol:

So you're an engineer? :Rasp::Rasp::Rasp:

darren-b
22nd October 2009, 07:53
I know how to report to HM Revenue.
How about overstayer?
I need to google it.:icon_lol:

So you're an engineer? :Rasp::Rasp::Rasp:

To save you googling it...

http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/contact/contactspage/191679/

Reporting an illegal immigrant or other offence
If you know someone is breaking immigration laws, for example by being in the United Kingdom illegally or by employing an illegal immigrant, you can email us to give us information about it. We may not be able to acknowledge your email but we will pass it on to the local immigration team in the appropriate part of the country. Where appropriate, they will investigate and take action.

To enable us to send your information quickly to the local immigration team closest to the offence you are reporting, please help us by putting the specific place (for example Croydon) or the specific postcode (for example CR0) in the subject line (title) of your email. Please also try to give us as much information as possible about the immigration offence (for example names and addresses), to help our investigation.

We treat all personal information as confidential. This means we will not tell the person involved that you contacted us. It also means that we will not be able to tell you what was done as a result of your information.

Email: UKBApublicenquiries@ukba.gsi.gov.uk

pennybarry
23rd October 2009, 10:40
To save you googling it...

http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/contact/contactspage/191679/

Reporting an illegal immigrant or other offence
If you know someone is breaking immigration laws, for example by being in the United Kingdom illegally or by employing an illegal immigrant, you can email us to give us information about it. We may not be able to acknowledge your email but we will pass it on to the local immigration team in the appropriate part of the country. Where appropriate, they will investigate and take action.

To enable us to send your information quickly to the local immigration team closest to the offence you are reporting, please help us by putting the specific place (for example Croydon) or the specific postcode (for example CR0) in the subject line (title) of your email. Please also try to give us as much information as possible about the immigration offence (for example names and addresses), to help our investigation.

We treat all personal information as confidential. This means we will not tell the person involved that you contacted us. It also means that we will not be able to tell you what was done as a result of your information.

Email: UKBApublicenquiries@ukba.gsi.gov.uk

Wow! this is great! :xxgrinning--00xx3:
I add to my favourites.