PDA

View Full Version : PC

Alan
22nd October 2009, 14:15
No, nothing to do with computers.

I have just been on a conference in Cebu where the subject was ' Should Western Political Correctness be extended worldwide?'

Of course, my interest was aroused as to how this subject should be approached - particularly in a country where female subservience is still predominant amongst the poverty stricken societies.

Added to this, I was eager to hear what would be expounded as far as our own 'European Restrictions on Free Speech' would be concerned. I mean, are the Philippines going to insist on 'straight bananas?' Are Filipino children no longer allowed to sing 'Baa baa black sheep?'

I'm sure that you know where I'm coming from - so, my question is thus - what are YOUR views on 'Political Correctness?'

Maybe this thread might be a 'BIGGIE' - but, please, no aggro or falling out eh? We have had so many bannings lately that I fear that soon there will be none of us left.

Peace, love and lust.

Al.:)

P.S. My new big, red chopper is throbbing between my legs every day when I go to work. (Sorry, is that not PC anymore?)

JimOttley
22nd October 2009, 14:47
No, nothing to do with computers.

I have just been on a conference in Cebu where the subject was ' Should Western Political Correctness be extended worldwide?'

Of course, my interest was aroused as to how this subject should be approached - particularly in a country where female subservience is still predominant amongst the poverty stricken societies.

Added to this, I was eager to hear what would be expounded as far as our own 'European Restrictions on Free Speech' would be concerned. I mean, are the Philippines going to insist on 'straight bananas?' Are Filipino children no longer allowed to sing 'Baa baa black sheep?'

I'm sure that you know where I'm coming from - so, my question is thus - what are YOUR views on 'Political Correctness?'

Maybe this thread might be a 'BIGGIE' - but, please, no aggro or falling out eh? We have had so many bannings lately that I fear that soon there will be none of us left.

Peace, love and lust.

P.S. My new big, red chopper is throbbing between my legs every day when I go to work. (Sorry, is that not PC anymore?)

Western Political Correctness! definitely no!

It's gone too far, people can't joke, can't relax.

Yes there are boors who will speak uncomfortably at any time but lets get back to a situation where the good people deal with the bad by expression of their own views rather than trying to follow some constantly changing code of correctness.

Morality and the way you treat others comes from the home, it's how you are brought up, that means there will always be a great variety of views on all subjects.

It could be said that Western PC has come about precisely because of this process of discussion; problem is that at this time I don't agree with all of it, there are always good aspects and bad aspects.

Ach such big subject don't really know where to start, "PC" is such an all encompassing subject it infiltrates every part of our lives now.

Take one small aspect, as a photographer this affects me, it is not PC to take pictures in a public park in the UK any more because of huge hysterical overreaction by large vocal parts of the community.

Why?

Probably because it has been in the media's interest for many years to publish stories that play on the fears of a great many ordinary people to the point where a hysterical feedback loop generates a PC "opinion" that a man taking a photograph in a public place where children may play must be a paedophile.

Yes some of them will be but the numbers are so tiny that the rights of the many are being curtailed for little gain.

Bad example probably because I am sure it will raise a lot of hackles.

I think the idea that there is one correct PC is the problem, the values of a society are what they create from the sum total of their history and their people it's what gives the world the wonderful variety that makes it a place worth living in.

Too big a subject, my brain hurts :Cuckoo: :doh :ARsurrender: :D

Jim

Dedworth
22nd October 2009, 15:06
I believe British Political Correctness is far more odious than most Western Political Correctness

Sophie
22nd October 2009, 15:11
Well, in my opinion, it's good to try to be politically correct sometimes or as much as possible, it keeps you from offending other people
and it minimizes social offense to anyone in respect to gender, racial, cultural, physical and age-related biases and prejudices......

JimOttley
22nd October 2009, 15:12
I believe British Political Correctness is far more odious than most Western Political Correctness

That's probably true, and yes my comments are probably based on that :D I forget that we are not all of the west! :D

KeithD
22nd October 2009, 15:16
You don't need PC, just treat people the same way you expect to be treated.

If some people get upset by something you say, hard luck, we are human, and that is what makes us unique.

Alan
22nd October 2009, 15:27
Western Political Correctness! definitely no!

It's gone too far, people can't joke, can't relax.

Yes there are boors who will speak uncomfortably at any time but lets get back to a situation where the good people deal with the bad by expression of their own views rather than trying to follow some constantly changing code of correctness.

Morality and the way you treat others comes from the home, it's how you are brought up, that means there will always be a great variety of views on all subjects.

It could be said that Western PC has come about precisely because of this process of discussion; problem is that at this time I don't agree with all of it, there are always good aspects and bad aspects.

Ach such big subject don't really know where to start, "PC" is such an all encompassing subject it infiltrates every part of our lives now.

Take one small aspect, as a photographer this affects me, it is not PC to take pictures in a public park in the UK any more because of huge hysterical overreaction by large vocal parts of the community.

Why?

Probably because it has been in the media's interest for many years to publish stories that play on the fears of a great many ordinary people to the point where a hysterical feedback loop generates a PC "opinion" that a man taking a photograph in a public place where children may play must be a paedophile.

Yes some of them will be but the numbers are so tiny that the rights of the many are being curtailed for little gain.

Bad example probably because I am sure it will raise a lot of hackles.

I think the idea that there is one correct PC is the problem, the values of a society are what they create from the sum total of their history and their people it's what gives the world the wonderful variety that makes it a place worth living in.

Too big a subject, my brain hurts :Cuckoo: :doh :ARsurrender: :D

Jim

Yes Jim - I am with you.

That's probably true, and yes my comments are probably based on that :D I forget that we are not all of the west! :D

Also true - but, as in my original posting, the meeting I attended was with some Euro politicians who were 'arguing' the merits of Asians joining the ideals of Europeans with regard to this focus. Could it work over here?

I, personally am confused - professionally I should agree - personally I think it's a load of c**p!

Sophie
22nd October 2009, 15:30
You don't need PC, just treat people the same way you expect to be treated.

If some people get upset by something you say, hard luck, we are human, and that is what makes us unique.

good point :xxgrinning--00xx3:

scott&ligaya
22nd October 2009, 15:47
the problem with this and other subjects is that it tends to focus on the extremes of behaviour which then become our accepted normal view beacause we do not get to hear from the vast silent majority who just go about their lives and do not get caught up in the debate.

keith has it spot on here treat as you expect to be treated

as an example of what I mean

local large central mosque in major UK city start using PA system to call the faithful to prayer. Local majority non muslim population complain about the noise. In turn the mosque users assert that church bells on a Sunday are doing just the same calling people to prayer and guess what.......... no more church bells.

I do struggle sometimes to remind myself that I am in England. Can you imagine this happening in reverse in Dubai!!! I don`t think so

paulgee
22nd October 2009, 19:46
Speaking personally, the lack of a UK style political correctness is one of the attractions of being in the Philippines.

I presume also you do not need a helmet for your big red chopper, if that would be your choice! Happy throbbing ........

Cheers, Paul