PDA

View Full Version : UK Driver in the Philippines

Fitzy
25th October 2009, 11:20
Hi.

I have a full UK driving license for the UK and am thinking of hiring a car in the phils.
Do I need a different License to drive there please, like an EU one???

Many thanks....

James Hubbard
25th October 2009, 11:22
Hi.

I have a full UK driving license for the UK and am thinking of hiring a car in the phils.

Many thanks....

Legally - you're fine with your UK licence for the first 90 days. (after that, u just transfer to a filipino one)

in practise, I left my driving licence back in England before I came here - forgot to bring it . . . and I have been driving here for the last year - with no worries at all :D

darren-b
25th October 2009, 11:33
Legally - you're fine with your UK licence for the first 90 days. (after that, u just transfer to a filipino one)

I thought legally you were meant to have a International Driving Permit as well. Cheap and easy to get from the Post Office.

in practise, I left my driving licence back in England before I came here - forgot to bring it . . . and I have been driving here for the last year - with no worries at all :D

I've never been asked to see mine either on the many times I've hired a car.

No worries unless you get caught.. Just make sure you have enough money if you don't want to see the inside of a Philippines prison...

Fitzy
25th October 2009, 11:35

Really James??

That's great mate, thanks:xxgrinning--00xx3:
So you are living there??
Whereabouts mate??

Cheers.

Phil..

James Hubbard
25th October 2009, 11:35
I thought legally you were meant to have a International Driving Permit as well. Cheap and easy to get from the Post Office.

Actually mate, you don't need that. Just your UK license is fine for 90 days.

James Hubbard
25th October 2009, 11:37
check this out (click here) (http://www.expat-blog.com/en/guide/asia/philippines/1055-obtaining-a-philippines-driving-licence.html)

"Visitors from the UK to the Philippines can officially use their UK driving licence for up to 90 days (although, if they are renting, a 1 year international driving licence is also recommended)"

James Hubbard
25th October 2009, 11:38
Really James??

That's great mate, thanks:xxgrinning--00xx3:
So you are living there??
Whereabouts mate??

Cheers.

Phil..

I live in Negros Oriental (60 miles from Dumaguete) and about 8 hour drive from Cebu city.

darren-b
25th October 2009, 11:48
Actually mate, you don't need that. Just your UK license is fine for 90 days.

check this out (click here) (http://www.expat-blog.com/en/guide/asia/philippines/1055-obtaining-a-philippines-driving-licence.html)

"Visitors from the UK to the Philippines can officially use their UK driving licence for up to 90 days (although, if they are renting, a 1 year international driving licence is also recommended)"

Try looking at the AA/RAC websites, or even the form from the Green Flag website http://www.greenflag.com/downloads/idp_app_form_green.pdf

2. Where is an IDP required?
Under the 1949 Geneva Convention certain countries require an IDP to be held at all times if you plan to drive in that country.
Required:
• Philippines

Take your choice which you believe....

Fitzy
25th October 2009, 11:49
I live in Negros Oriental (60 miles from Dumaguete) and about 8 hour drive from Cebu city.

That's great mate. Am flying out to Cebu 29 Nov, then the next day to Ozamiz City to meet my new girl.
Am so excited.
It seems I can get an International permit from the Post Office for 5 pound, 50!
Will do that tomorrow to be on the safe side.
They drive on the wrong side of the road there????:D

Sophie
25th October 2009, 11:55
That's great mate. Am flying out to Cebu 29 Nov, then the next day to Ozamiz City to meet my new girl.
Am so excited.
It seems I can get an International permit from the Post Office for 5 pound, 50!
Will do that tomorrow to be on the safe side.
They drive on the wrong side of the road there????:D

LOL, no fitz, you drive on the wrong side of the road here, lol :D:D:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:
And i agree, it's best to get an international license to be sure :xxgrinning--00xx3:

James Hubbard
25th October 2009, 11:57
LOL, no fitz, you drive on the wrong side of the road here, lol :D:D:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:
And i agree, it's best to get an international license to be sure :xxgrinning--00xx3:

talk to the hand sophie! lolz
. . .

yeah, better get it to be on the safe side dude. . . .

. . .

although, if you don't get it, just make sure you got a few thousand peso in your wallet at all times, you should have no problem as EVERYONE has a price in the philippines, and you can get almost anything by making some palms greasy! :D:yikes::yikes::yikes:

Fitzy
25th October 2009, 12:04
Hehehehehehe, i thought that wd stir something.

Thanx everybody..

Great forum:D

James Hubbard
25th October 2009, 12:05
Hehehehehehe, i thought that wd stir something.

Thanx everybody..

Great forum:D

sophie is just wrong mate :Cuckoo: the brits drive on the correct side . . . we do everything right :D:rolleyes::yikes:

Sophie
25th October 2009, 12:14
talk to the hand sophie! lolz

:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

Sophie
25th October 2009, 12:15
sophie is just wrong mate :Cuckoo: the brits drive on the correct side . . . we do everything right :D:rolleyes::yikes:

LOL :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

James Hubbard
25th October 2009, 12:30
LOL :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

glad you agree ms sophie!

Sophie
25th October 2009, 12:39
glad you agree ms sophie!

:Erm: i'll think about it, lol :D:D:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

IainBusby
25th October 2009, 12:46
Hi.

Many thanks....

I don't think you need a different licence, but I do think you need your head tested. :yikes: Are some kind of masochist?

darren-b
25th October 2009, 12:53
I don't think you need a different licence, but I do think you need your head tested. :yikes: Are some kind of masochist?

It depends where you are driving.. I'd avoid driving in Manila, and maybe out in the mountains, but I'll drive everywhere else.

Though if it's your first visit and you are not use to driving in places like the Philippines I agree taxis (or even hire cars with driver) are cheap and may make your time together far more pleasant.

darren-b
25th October 2009, 12:58

In this case it is actually true :) Everyone use to ride on the left side of the road (due to most people being right handed), and it was only the Americans and the French who started to ride on the right side of the road later on.

James Hubbard
25th October 2009, 12:58

Agreed

also agreed with darren . . .

tommyw
25th October 2009, 13:23
How about for motorbikes? What is the legal requirement regarding them?

johncar54
25th October 2009, 13:32
http://www.lto.gov.ph/newdlreq.html is the Land Transport Office of the Philippines Gov. Check out the web site for all matters about Driving

johncar54
25th October 2009, 13:38
History of which side to drive. (but note I beeves in all countries people mount and dismount horse from the left i.e. footpath side in UK)

Wikipedia:-

In 1998, archaeologists found a well-preserved track leading to a Roman quarry near Swindon, England. The grooves in the road on the left side (viewed facing down the track away from the quarry) were much deeper than those on the right side. These grooves suggest that the Romans drove on the left, at least in this particular location, since carts would exit the quarry heavily loaded, and enter it empty[4].

In fact, some, for example C. Northcote Parkinson, believed that ancient travellers on horseback generally rode on the left side of the road. As more people are right-handed, a horseman would thus be able to hold the reins with his left hand and keep his right hand free—to offer in friendship to passing riders or to defend himself with a sword, if necessary.[26]

The first legal reference in Britain to an order for traffic to remain on the left was in 1756 with regard to London Bridge. The Highway Act 1773 contained a recommendation that horse traffic should remain on the left and this is enshrined in the Highway Act 1835.[27]

In the late 1700s, the shift from left to right that took place in countries such as the United States was based on teamsters' use of large freight wagons pulled by several pairs of horses. The wagons had no driver’s seat, so a postilion sat on the left rear horse and held his whip in his right hand. Seated on the left, the driver preferred that other wagons pass him on the left so that he could be sure to keep clear of the wheels of oncoming wagons. He did that by driving on the right side of the road.[26]

Countries that became part of the British Empire adopted the British keep-left rule, although many have since changed. In Canada, the Maritime provinces and British Columbia initially drove on the left, but changed to the right in order to make border crossings to and from other provinces easier. Nova Scotia switched to driving on the right on 15 April 1923.

JimOttley
25th October 2009, 14:41

I quite enjoyed the two times I hired a car over there, I quite liked not getting gouged for tips by taxi drivers and street side assistants wanting to load the bags I had already carried for 10 minutes :D

First time I hired was Easter Sunday and the roads were empty which was just as well as I had never ever driven on the right before :D

AVIS needed my UK licence both parts but nothing else, both times we rented from AVIS at NAIA not cheap though pretty much the same money it would cost you here.

If I ever get to retire there I will definitely buy a second hand car I like the freedom, taxi's are fine but Ana expects to use them, I prefer Jeepney unless I am in a hurry.

Jim

James Hubbard
25th October 2009, 14:51
How about for motorbikes? What is the legal requirement regarding them?

as cars - 90 days on brit license.

or, unofficially, you got money, you can do wot u want

JimOttley
25th October 2009, 15:06
as cars - 90 days on brit license.

or, unofficially, you got money, you can do wot u want

I know a chap that has been driving in Manila for many years he doesn't even have a licence in his home country, just bribes the police any time he gets stopped.

He has a business there and is not short of cash!

Only had to do it once 500 peso bribe when I hesitated at a junction because the road I was about to turn into turned out to be one way, we got away with it because we were taking the kids to hospital at the time, I let Ana deal with the police and the bribe she is good at that :D

Jim

Sophie
25th October 2009, 15:11
I know a chap that has been driving in Manila for many years he doesn't even have a licence in his home country, just bribes the police any time he gets stopped.

Only had to do it once 500 peso bribe when I hesitated at a junction because the road I was about to turn into turned out to be one way, we got away with it because we were taking the kids to hospital at the time, I let Ana deal with the police and the bribe she is good at that :D

Jim
wow, 500 peso bribe? that's a huge bribe jim, lol......the normal rate there is 100 pesos and this crocodiles are so happy for that amount already, lol

Tawi2
25th October 2009, 15:11

Jim
I know a guy over there,curious marital arrangements,in his 50's got a biz on Boracay and in Manila,told me coppers stopped him totally inebriated behind the wheel,waited till he sobered up a bit then took him to a cash machine for an on the spot fine,then let him drive off still under the influence :icon_lol:

somebody
25th October 2009, 17:49
Just dont crash into or injure any filipino or their propety (A good idea in general) heard and read of some true horror stories.

Twenty quid or so a day for a driver and a nice new motor is fine by me I'm on holiday would rathe rlook at the window than play chicken with people looking at dollar signs if they can manage to crash into you.

PS Pinoys seem to be experts at noticing a metizo though even the most darken window day or night i have found.

James Hubbard
25th October 2009, 18:00
PS Pinoys seem to be experts at noticing a metizo though even the most darken window day or night i have found.

I've noticed :NoNo::Brick:

JimOttley
25th October 2009, 18:17
wow, 500 peso bribe? that's a huge bribe jim, lol......the normal rate there is 100 pesos and this crocodiles are so happy for that amount already, lol

That was between them Sophie, two cops and it was Manila, the chap I referred to pretty much confirmed that 500 peso was a safe bet for a westerner. Better to err on the high side than to upset them.

I would agree with Tawi's story about the drink driving I've been told about that too.

Other advice was don't carry your UK licence on you because they will try to confiscate it.

Jim

Fitzy
25th October 2009, 21:26
I thik I'll stick to the Taxis, and Jeepneys.
Masochist I am not:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:
Glad I started the post:BouncyHappy:
I will pop to Terminal 2 at work tomorrow, and apply for one, just for the sake of having it should i need it, lol

Interesting, tho somewhat scary comments, hehehehehehh
Think I'll let someone else drive me:Erm:

BTW

I fly to Ozamiz City end November via Cebu.
Emma, and our family as she puts it have been so very excellent, and kind.
I finally think i got it right at last :-)

bornatbirth
25th October 2009, 21:35
i have driven a few times when in manila and down to tagaytay,to be honest they drive so slow its easy.

i only used my uk license but next time i will get a international one and as a whitey driving,i think they have a cash sign above your head or they have very good eye sight :Erm:

somebody
25th October 2009, 21:43
I thik I'll stick to the Taxis, and Jeepneys.
Masochist I am not:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:
Glad I started the post:BouncyHappy:
I will pop to Terminal 2 at work tomorrow, and apply for one, just for the sake of having it should i need it, lol

Interesting, tho somewhat scary comments, hehehehehehh
Think I'll let someone else drive me:Erm:

BTW

I fly to Ozamiz City end November via Cebu.
Emma, and our family as she puts it have been so very excellent, and kind.
I finally think i got it right at last :-)

Im guessing every area different but the Wifes Area back in Phill is a large town 2 hours or so away from manila often instead of taking one of the families cars or vans(people carrier to me and you) We hire a Driver and car. Nice new car with a good driver who if from the local town Emma would probably know somehow, if its like my Wifes area.

Why is this handy well when you need a car he turns up otherwise he goes and parks up if you need to be dropped off a particular location. Often we bring the Driver along with us and most are happy to act as a second pair of eyes (ie security) for a free dinner and snacks plus the change from the petrol money.

JimOttley
25th October 2009, 21:48
Im guessing every area different but the Wifes Area back in Phill is a large town 2 hours or so away from manila often instead of taking one of the families cars or vans(people carrier to me and you) We hire a Driver and car. Nice new car with a good driver who if from the local town Emma would probably know somehow, if its like my Wifes area.

Why is this handy well when you need a car he turns up otherwise he goes and parks up if you need to be dropped off a particular location. Often we bring the Driver along with us and most are happy to act as a second pair of eyes (ie security) for a free dinner and snacks plus the change from the petrol money.

That's a very good point!

Jim

bornatbirth
25th October 2009, 21:51
may i add after a few days driving my wife and mother inlaw around,i started picking up bad habits :rolleyes: and told them "the good news is im used to driving in the philipines","the bad news my driving is lousy" :D

Fitzy
25th October 2009, 21:52

Thank you, I will ask Emma, and am sure you are right.
On previous visits with my ex, we did exactly that, and invited the driver for dinner, and he was happy, and friendly.

This is the way forward I reckon, and at least I can enjoy a drink or 3:):icon_lol:

Sophie
25th October 2009, 21:59
That was between them Sophie, two cops and it was Manila, the chap I referred to pretty much confirmed that 500 peso was a safe bet for a westerner. Better to err on the high side than to upset them.
Jim

Yeah, i agree with you jim, for a westerner - always over priced, very typical of pinas, sad to say.....

JimOttley
25th October 2009, 22:00
i have driven a few times when in manila and down to tagaytay,to be honest they drive so slow its easy.

If they drove any faster they would destroy their suspension :D

Jim

Sophie
25th October 2009, 22:58

Jim

and also, you cannot drive fast enough there due to traffic which is common in the metro specially, lol

somebody
25th October 2009, 23:03

Jim

Or spill there Drink or snacks as they drive:D

JimOttley
25th October 2009, 23:11
and also, you cannot drive fast enough there due to traffic which is common in the metro specially, lol

Yeah that's the main reason Sophie I agree :)

Actually lack of suspension is not an excuse to put a car off the road in Manila it's only a minor inconvenience to your passengers if your a taxi :D

Jim

somebody
25th October 2009, 23:22
I want one of those bamboo trcycles

bornatbirth
25th October 2009, 23:41
i always wanted a fully modded jeepney like pimp my ride :D

oh also a really beaten jeepey so i could scrape the sides of many cars and 4x4s :icon_lol:

JimOttley
25th October 2009, 23:51
i always wanted a fully modded jeepney like pimp my ride :D

oh also a really beaten jeepey so i could scrape the sides of many cars and 4x4s :icon_lol:

Those things are just steel, they wouldn't even notice the hit :D

I fancy that too!

Jim

Kalboaso
26th October 2009, 13:30
So does anybody have a contact they use for a regular driver that they use when in Manila? I normally use public transport/jeeps/Santrans etc but I am usually accompanied by my wife or in laws. This time I am going to surprise them and just appear there. I would like a private driver rather than a taxi. Oh and I'm going to Sapang Palay, Bulacan....

scott&ligaya
26th October 2009, 14:01
try Avalon car/driver hire just google avalon car hire Manila. Used them several times, always efficient and cars/vans ok, best to get 2/3 year old model as you worry less about getting damaged. They will ask to keep something like passort copy or driving lisence, just make sure it is an unusable copy, you can never be sure in the Phils.

Most expats I know in Palawan tend to have relatively beat up pick ups/ or troopers/pajero type mainly to avoid drawing attention (flash the cash) and again if you bump something no big deal, and you can joust with the multicabs, jeepneys, trikes etc along with everyone else. helps if your wife is from the same town as the city police chief as well!!! and he likes 18 year old Macallan.. Our Pajero is a 95yr with wrapa round nudge bars front and rear as well as light guards. Score so far is three dead dogs, one trike bent and few near misses with multi cabs.

As others have said best take a driver at least 1st couple of times and see how it goes. On holiday it can be nice being driven around.

Kalboaso
26th October 2009, 15:23
:xxgrinning--00xx3: Cheers mucker just what I'm looking for...:D:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

lizaphil
26th October 2009, 15:33
Hi.

Many thanks....

your fine same as my hubby he is using also to hired car in the phil?
so no worries

Fitzy
26th October 2009, 21:41
:xxgrinning--00xx3: Cheers mucker just what I'm looking for...:D:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

Me too, thanks, will do just that:D

johncar54
27th October 2009, 09:54
Why not call a rental company in Phil and ask them ?

I just found this number on the web:-

Avis Car +63 2 718 4064

Kalboaso
1st November 2009, 17:23
try Avalon car/driver hire just google avalon car hire Manila. Used them several times, always efficient and cars/vans ok, best to get 2/3 year old model as you worry less about getting damaged. They will ask to keep something like passort copy or driving lisence, just make sure it is an unusable copy, you can never be sure in the Phils.

Most expats I know in Palawan tend to have relatively beat up pick ups/ or troopers/pajero type mainly to avoid drawing attention (flash the cash) and again if you bump something no big deal, and you can joust with the multicabs, jeepneys, trikes etc along with everyone else. helps if your wife is from the same town as the city police chief as well!!! and he likes 18 year old Macallan.. Our Pajero is a 95yr with wrapa round nudge bars front and rear as well as light guards. Score so far is three dead dogs, one trike bent and few near misses with multi cabs.

As others have said best take a driver at least 1st couple of times and see how it goes. On holiday it can be nice being driven around.

I called Avalon a couple of days back and booked a car with driver for 8 hours for a price of 2000php, plus fuel, drivers food and any tolls/parking etc. Ok I thought. This morning I received an email from stating it will now be 3500php plus any expenses :omg: What are they like!!! I'm sure they just changed the price after they seen my contact details and seen I'm a tourist. There original prices are what's quoted on their website!!!

The search continues...............

johncar54
1st November 2009, 18:03
I just sent this message to Avalon:-

I am a subscriber to a web site for Filipinos and foreigners, There are several thousand subscribers. I think you ought to look at the web page. Someone recommended you, a person booked and then you increased the charge. I think at first you would have found a lot of potential customers, now you will have lost a lot, unless you maybe find you have made an error.

The web site is:- http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php?p=187791#post187791

somebody
1st November 2009, 18:52
I called Avalon a couple of days back and booked a car with driver for 8 hours for a price of 2000php, plus fuel, drivers food and any tolls/parking etc. Ok I thought. This morning I received an email from stating it will now be 3500php plus any expenses :omg: What are they like!!! I'm sure they just changed the price after they seen my contact details and seen I'm a tourist. There original prices are what's quoted on their website!!!

The search continues...............

Sounds like they adding kano tax possibly they also offering a better car and possibly a driver who can speak English?

Always get a local if possible to book its the same even with a international chain hotel get a local speaker to book in a phill name.

Kalboaso
2nd November 2009, 13:35
I received another email from Avalon this morning after I asked them explain why the sudden change of fee. Apparently it is because I asked for the hire to start in the early evening so this is applicable to an extra 1500php!!! As if the driver will be getting a slice of that...
Anyway I've decided to get the Santrans bus from Sta Cruz up to Sapang Palay instead, it's a nice roller coaster of a ride so should get there in one piece :icon_lol::icon_lol: 75php who's laughing now Avalon???:icon_lol::icon_lol:

sheldon1
2nd November 2009, 17:11
i live in negros oriental (60 miles from dumaguete) and about 8 hour drive from cebu city.

hello james, i was just reading that you live in negros. My wife is from there. At the moment we are living in angeles city, but my wife wants to move back to negros. She suggested moving to dumaguete maybe renting a small business. We have kids ready to start school soon.i was just wondfering what your opinions are of the place? Could you recommend it? I have never been there.
Stuart

Tawi2
26th November 2009, 15:57
Dumaguete is excellent,great for kids as your always close to a beach,good department store super-lees(first time I ever went there it was simply called lee-plaza)I cant speak highly enough of Dumaguete,I was there earlier this year and always make a point of stopping there on a trip :xxgrinning--00xx3: