PDA

View Full Version : Passport Issuing in Manila

JimOttley
26th October 2009, 02:08
Just received news that from the start of next year it may well be the case that British Passports will not be issued from Manila but from Bangkok instead. (I called them)

We have not collected our daughters passport yet which is why they emailed us.

They said it is not certain but that there is a good chance things are changing.

The email was titled

NOTICE TO COLLECT UNCLAIMED BRITISH PASSPORTS

There will be significant changes in the way we produce and issue passports, which may take place very soon. In line with this, we encourage you to collect unclaimed British passports (belonging to you or your child) at the British Embassy Manila as soon as possible.

Probably does not apply to very many people but just in case.

Jim

LadyJ
26th October 2009, 20:38
Hi Jim thanks for the information.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

walesrob
26th October 2009, 20:52
I find that surprising as they've made the new British Embassy in Taguig the visa processing centre for the whole region (processing visa for Hong Kong, Korea and Japan) with more countries joining later on, and according to news reports, they intend to expand that even more.

I know visas and passports are 2 different things altogether, but surely it would make more sense for the Embassy and Border Agency to do all their work at one centre (i.e. Taguig):Erm:

darren-b
26th October 2009, 21:00
I find that surprising as they've made the new British Embassy in Taguig the visa processing centre for the whole region (processing visa for Hong Kong, Korea and Japan) with more countries joining later on, and according to news reports, they intend to expand that even more.

I know visas and passports are 2 different things altogether, but surely it would make more sense for the Embassy and Border Agency to do all their work at one centre (i.e. Taguig):Erm:

Though it also makes sense to have two regional hubs in that part of the world in case a disaster (natural or otherwise) causes problems at one of them.

JimOttley
26th October 2009, 21:20

I had originally wanted to collect Janna's passport in January but they made it extremely clear that such an option was no longer possible!

As Ana is back in the country anyway I sent her up there today and we now have our daughters passport :BouncyHappy:

I called them because we applied such a long time ago that I did not know where the original receipt was and I was worried they would not release the documents without it.

I asked about the centralisation of Visa's and she said yes that was true but of course she could say nothing about Visa's :NoNo: and she stated that they were moving all passport Issuing for British Citizens in that region to Bangkok.

The wording was "likely to change" and "very soon" so not definite but I was spooked enough to not take a chance.

Could be an issue for ex-pats obviously, either lost passport or close to expiry, luckily I have till 2019 to get a new one :D

Jim

dondi
27th October 2009, 01:49
In my opinion, there are far more British tourists/expats in Thailand than the Phils so it makes sense to locate these types of services to where most of the customers are.