PDA

View Full Version : Finally here

Northerner
30th October 2009, 00:44
Guy's

Finally here, in Pinas... :D

First impressions, terrible.. I was tired and upset when I arrived in Manila to find my phone refused to send texts or make calls. And I knew Rizza was getting worried. Also, the taxi between terminals is shockig!

But, when I finally got to Cebu, my second impreesion..

The Filipinos I have met have al been some of the kindest, most generous people I have had the pleasure to meet. Everyone is polite and it seems Rizzas family are very sincere and happy to see me.

MY impression of Rizza so far? Better than I expected!! Far prettier in person and very honest and open to me. :love18::love:

Just need to get an adaptor sowe can post pictures here..Otherwise the laptop is a paperweight!

So far, so good :)

JimOttley
30th October 2009, 01:16
Guy's

First impressions, terrible.. I was tired and upset when I arrived in Manila to find my phone refused to send texts or make calls. And I knew Rizza was getting worried. Also, the taxi between terminals is shockig!

The Filipinos I have met have al been some of the kindest, most generous people I have had the pleasure to meet. Everyone is polite and it seems Rizzas family are very sincere and happy to see me.

MY impression of Rizza so far? Better than I expected!! Far prettier in person and very honest and open to me. :love18::love:

Just need to get an adaptor sowe can post pictures here..Otherwise the laptop is a paperweight!

Arrgghh none of us one remembered to tell you that you have to tune manually and it all depends what your home network is :Brick:

Smart is the network I usually lock on too when I arrive.

Glad you got over the problems in Manila Sean!

Your second impression is the one that matters :xxgrinning--00xx3: have a good time!

Easy to get an adapter :)

Jim

sunshine
30th October 2009, 02:38
Good luck! Enjoy your stay here in PHilippines with your mahal :xxgrinning--00xx3:

liane
30th October 2009, 03:33
Welcome in the Philippines:Hellooo::Hellooo::Hellooo: Enjoy your stay with Rizza- have a great time and get to know each other more!:BouncyHappy::BouncyHappy::BouncyHappy:

Sim11UK
30th October 2009, 05:38
Welcome to the Philippines!

Glad you got here safely...It's a long way hey!
Always prefer to get the free shuttle if I can...I just don't trust taxis, being a 'whitey', on my own, though will use them if I have to & to be fair, there are some honest drivers.

Can't beat meeting in person. :xxgrinning--00xx3: Enjoy the rest of your stay. :)

How are you finding the heat?

jane2009
30th October 2009, 05:59
goodluck..and enjoy

vbkelly
30th October 2009, 09:39
Guy's

if your phone is quad band there's no problem in philippines smart and globe will cover you there depend on where you are, glad your in rizza's hand now enjoy your every single day with her.

pennybarry
30th October 2009, 09:44
We're happy to know you're safe and happy now. Enjoy your stay and goodluck!:BouncyHappy::cwm12:

KeithD
30th October 2009, 09:50
Come back... you're missing the :censored: weather!

bornatbirth
30th October 2009, 10:38
its good to see you arrived and met your gf.

yes,after a loss of sleep on a long flight can really hit you for six,i have had trouble with my mobile before too?

didnt you use a airport taxi?

eagles
30th October 2009, 12:10
welcome to phils northener.. bit a day late... But glad to hear that you appreciated the southern hospitality

Tawi2
30th October 2009, 12:38
Visayas and Mindanao are totally different from Manila N,enjoy your trip :)

islander
30th October 2009, 13:31
WOW! its nice to hear that you finally arrived in Phils. & that you have finally met your girl....

although reading your post makes me miss cebu, huhuhu!

Make the most of your stay & enjoy each other's company!

Jay&Zobel
30th October 2009, 14:46
Yay!! enjoy your holiday. It's All Souls' day & All Saints' day there on 1st&2nd of November, you'll see more & more people and will be traffic everywhere!!! eeekkkkkkk

James Hubbard
30th October 2009, 16:55
Hi Sean mate, just remember all the things I told you on our exchanges.

Hope you're enjoying your time.

As for Rizza, glad to hear that it's better than you expected. Very happy for you.

Just focus on her, her family and the nice people you meet . . . (ignore the crappy stuff)! :D

enjoy mate

maayong bakasyon diri !!!

Leo
30th October 2009, 18:03
glad to hear your enjoying your holiday

Sophie
30th October 2009, 18:08
Guy's

Glad to know you're enjoying there sean, despite the initial bad first impression in manila airport and the shocking taxi's there, lol
I'm sure you're off to an even better days to come with rizza and her family....
Have fun and enjoy :xxgrinning--00xx3:

kimmi
30th October 2009, 18:32
Glad to know that u arrived safe Sean..enjoy ur stay in the Philippines and the company of Rizza..:)

Florge
30th October 2009, 20:07
ohhhh... that's why rizza hasn't been texting me for a while...

have a grand vacation sean... will see you soon eh?... enjoy the sunny weather..

oh my.. i miss the sun.. the beach... the traffic... the all soul's day celebration... *sigh*

oh well.. back to my cleaning chores... lol

lizaphil
30th October 2009, 21:29
Guy's

injoy your stay in cebu,:BouncyHappy:

Ji&Ma
30th October 2009, 21:37
Glad to hear that you are OK and you enjoying your trip well, take care man and all the best to you and Rizza :xxgrinning--00xx3:

whiteraven
30th October 2009, 22:05
hi northener glad to hear you are finally with your mahal.get some sleep and some red horse down ya youll feel a lot better:party-smiley-012::D

somebody
31st October 2009, 00:30
Hello Sir.

Do your self a favour and of course we love hearing about your trip and meeting your Mahal but saviour every mintue of it. The first trip for many is the one where its all laid back and meeting one another, trips after seem to involve paperwork and prepration, planning etc..

IainBusby
31st October 2009, 10:47
Guy's

Hi Sean,
It's just a pity for most of us that when we go to Phils, that we have to pass through Manila, still, I'm glad things have looked up for you since then and your enjoying yourself. I always find that when I go to Phils, it better just to buy a Globe sim card with load and use that while I'm there, It'll save you a fortune. You can get one for about P500 with a P400 load on it.
Cheers,
Iain.

simplyxiao
31st October 2009, 12:39
Glad you arrive safe... just enjoy each others company and treasure every moment together... :)

tiN
31st October 2009, 13:13
Enjoy your stay :Hellooo:

Northerner
31st October 2009, 14:02
Thanks everyone..

Right now I am in Barili. I left the ALTA resort a day early, and to be honest I wish I came here from day one! The people here are very friendly and warm. Although the place I am staying in has little to offer than a bed, shower and aircon - it meets my basic needs! And for 560 PHP per night, who can argue with that!:)

Still not got the adapter for the laptop but I am not too bothered about that yet. I will get it when I can..

Today I had my first interview for the esteemed position of Husband to Rizza! I spoke with her Lola about everything and anything.. And I showed my proper respects too.. Thanks Florge, for the tip!! And yes, see you soon too.. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Rizza has a large family and they were all keen to get a glimpse to see me. Whilst I was talking to her Lola, everyone in the area seemed to pop their head in to say Hi.. :D

We have already picked out our pig for tomorrows Lechon, I will post a before and after picture when I can.. Without the gore!:Erm::D

:smileybigtmouth:

Tawi2
31st October 2009, 14:29
We want gore....we want gore.....we want...........etc,you get the picture :icon_lol:Interview?Was it one of those where your sitting in front of a panel?All quick firing questions at you and your brain freezes?:Erm:

Northerner
31st October 2009, 14:56
We want gore....we want gore.....we want...........etc,you get the picture :icon_lol:Interview?Was it one of those where your sitting in front of a panel?All quick firing questions at you and your brain freezes?:Erm:

My interview was in front of the entire family here in Barili. But only stage 1 of the process!! I have another interview tomorrow and then next week.... I MEET THE PARENTS!!! :yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes:

Tawi2
31st October 2009, 14:58
I always fail those sort of interviews:icon_lol:(Intentionally:icon_lol:).Enjoy your holiday :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Northerner
1st November 2009, 15:17
Well today has been a cool day! The weather in Barili was hotter than I had experienced so far.. But I started the day nice and early.

Rizza is waiting on me, hand and foot.. I try to tell her to stop fussing over me but she insists on making my food, serving my food, ensuring I am comfortable at all times... Ahh, bliss! :rolleyes:

Her family here in Barili have been just as welcoming. The interviews continued today but I am told by some friends I passed!!:D And I have also been welcomed into the family which was surprising but very touching as well.

Today we had Lechon. A great experience as we had a party to go with it with everyone getting together to eat and have a good time on what was a very hot Sunday. There was so much meat it has evolved into the dinner this evening as well as being donated in parts to various family members.. This pig was huge! As for my first taste of Lechon? The meat was perfectly cooked and the skin was very crispy, although a bit too rich for me. I have no idea how some of the others I could see were eating a huge chunk of the skin, my taste buds got overloaded with it pretty quickly..

Bring on the rest of the evening! And I am sure tomorrow will be as good..

:)

pennybarry
1st November 2009, 15:26
Well today has been a cool day! The weather in Barili was hotter than I had experienced so far.. But I started the day nice and early.

Rizza is waiting on me, hand and foot.. I try to tell her to stop fussing over me but she insists on making my food, serving my food, ensuring I am comfortable at all times... Ahh, bliss! :rolleyes:

Her family here in Barili have been just as welcoming. The interviews continued today but I am told by some friends I passed!!:D And I have also been welcomed into the family which was surprising but very touching as well.

Today we had Lechon. A great experience as we had a party to go with it with everyone getting together to eat and have a good time on what was a very hot Sunday. There was so much meat it has evolved into the dinner this evening as well as being donated in parts to various family members.. This pig was huge! As for my first taste of Lechon? The meat was perfectly cooked and the skin was very crispy, although a bit too rich for me. I have no idea how some of the others I could see were eating a huge chunk of the skin, my taste buds got overloaded with it pretty quickly..

Wow! Lechon!!! I like Cebu lechon, I like the skin but there's always worry whilst eating lechon. High blood, cholesterol, but still I like it! I eat only a little not huge lol! :icon_lol:

Enjoy your stay Sean!

Ann07
1st November 2009, 17:14

oh my oh my Rizza is from Barili:D i love Barili i used to work at Sta Ana Academy....Rizza knows the place i bet:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Enjoy the place people there are so nice:xxgrinning--00xx3: go to moalboal beach or kawasan nice there.

Enjoy Sean :D

somebody
1st November 2009, 18:59

Great to hear and sounds like your having the time of your Life. I love Lechon as love roast pork and crackiling back here in the UK:xxgrinning--00xx3:

You do realise when Rizza in UK you have to wait on her hand and foot everyday:D

lizaphil
1st November 2009, 19:08
wow i mis lechon ummmmm
i feel so hangry now
and nice to hear sean you injoy your stay in cebu:xxgrinning--00xx3:

somebody
1st November 2009, 19:08
wow i mis lechon ummmmm
i feel so hangry now
and nice to hear sean you injoy your stay in cebu:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Looks like the bloke next to you in the picture has eaten way to much Lechon:D

lizaphil
1st November 2009, 22:40
Looks like the bloke next to you in the picture has eaten way to much Lechon:D

oo he had lots of air his body :xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

LadyJ
1st November 2009, 22:45
Hi Sean thanks for an update, Im glad that you're having a good time in there with Rizza and family.:xxgrinning--00xx3: And also thanks for making us jealous about the lechon:bigcry::bigcry:

Northerner
2nd November 2009, 03:06
As for waiting on Rizza when she gets to the UK... I already told her this morning I was going to do that! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Lechon was good, we even had it again for dinner later that evening.. I have already been to Kawasan falls, we went on our first day in Barili. As for the people here, they are great people from what I have seen so far.

Rizza is not from Barili. Her father is from her and she has a lot of relatives here. She is from Mindanao, and we are going there tomorrow for a week or so to meet her parents and her mothers family. But she has been in Barili for the last 2 years and yes... She knows the St. Ana Academy :D

Well, today has only just started. Breakfast is coming.. I'll keep you all posted!

liane
2nd November 2009, 03:43
Wow, that's nice to know that you are having a lovely time with Rizza. Enjoy the food and the scenery! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Sim11UK
2nd November 2009, 05:30
Are you passing through Cagayan de Oro...I'll wave if I see you. :Britain:

How about Camiguin, I think you said you were going?...I keep seeing it in the distance & wishing we were going again.

Happy traveling :)

Northerner
2nd November 2009, 06:47
Are you passing through Cagayan de Oro...I'll wave if I see you. :Britain:

How about Camiguin, I think you said you were going?...I keep seeing it in the distance & wishing we were going again.

Happy traveling :)

Not sure if Camiguin is happening now. Probably not! But yes we are passing through CDO. :Erm::)

islander
2nd November 2009, 08:59
you know what! you are just making us jealous with all your trips / exploration in Phils. & even food as well, while we are here facing the dark, frosty, cold & wet weather in UK :NoNo::NoNo::NoNo:

anyway, ENJOY THE REST OF YOUR STAY.... it seems you are! :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

IainBusby
2nd November 2009, 15:04
Not sure if Camiguin is happening now. Probably not! But yes we are passing through CDO. :Erm::)

If your going to be in CDO on a Friday or Saturday night make sure you checkout the night cafe in Divisoria, the main city square, lots of BBQ and live music etc, you'll love it!

monkeyface
2nd November 2009, 17:07
Glad to hear you're having a blast! :D
Can't wait to see pictures of you and your mahal together. :)
Enjoy the rest of your trip! :BouncyHappy:

Northerner
2nd November 2009, 22:29
Those f:censored:g Roosters! 4am and all I hear is cockadoodledooooo.... :doh :icon_lol:

Ahh well, up early for a day of traveling I guess! Today we take a cruise to Mindanao and see how romantic the ferry is.. :Erm: Seems like my accommodation in Valencia is sorted:xxgrinning--00xx3: Staying with the in laws! Talk about going native! My shower will be a pale and my food of choice will be rice with whatever I can get! Tawi2 would be so proud:D:icon_lol:

Although, actually I am looking forward to it. How many visitors to Pinas get to experience life like a Filipino? Not many I think. Towards the end of the trip I will upscale it again and book into a nice hotel in Cebu before I fly out but till then I am happy to rough it a bit. Although, with Rizza fussing over my every move it is unlikely to be uncomfortable in any way..:luv4:

:rolleyes:

Sim11UK
3rd November 2009, 00:32
:rolleyes: Roughing it is the most rewarding way to stay...just hope those cockroaches don't start running over you in the night...Horrible!

I guess you will already have arrived, when you read this, but when the ferry pulls into CDO, all the kids will come out to greet the ship, in boats.
Throw coins & they will dive into retrieve them...It's great to see. :)

Tawi2
3rd November 2009, 13:01
Best thing about the breaking of the dawn is the roosters :) I used to sleep with them right outside my windows,next sunday get your revenge on them and go watch them engaging in gladatorial bouts,tam is ang panimalos :icon_lol:

Ann07
3rd November 2009, 17:58
Sounds like you are really enjoying your stay their Sean with Rizza's family and friends:D:D Thanks for the updates:xxgrinning--00xx3:

I stayed their from 1999 to 2001:D and i enjoyed every moment of it beautiful people :D

Enjoy Sean:)

RuBiX
4th November 2009, 00:44
Enjoy your stay in my beloved city:cwm12::BouncyHappy::Hellooo:
I'll be there soon for Sinulog:Hellooo::BouncyHappy:

Take time to know your Rizza and her family..:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Savour the moment in Philppines with your lovely lady:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Northerner
5th November 2009, 05:00
Thanks Guys.. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Well, right now I am on my second day in Valencia (we arrived early yesterday) and I have met Rizza's parents. They seem pleased with me! Despite being twice the size of their angel:Erm::cwm34::D Oh well...

I am staying in her Grandparents house and I am living like a Filipino as well, except I can't take to the fish.. :NoNo:

Rizza really misses her family as she has been away in Barili and Cebu now for 3 years so we have decided to stay a little longer than planned. Right now I am in the mall at one of the internet cafes. I am pretty sure I am one of the few white people to grace these parts as I get looked at all of the time!! :Erm: Still not sure what to make of it.. Although if a few looks come from mean looking dudes with bulges in their pockets... I am off! :icon_lol: For who knows their intentions:icon_lol::icon_lol:

Everyone of the neighbours seems to pop by to say hello and when we pass by on the tricycle we get a lot of waves.. It truly is an experience!

Should be here another week and then back to Cebu!

:):Erm::rolleyes:

bornatbirth
5th November 2009, 10:50
:icon_lol: everyone will look at you,i noticed i get a lot of guys looking at me :Erm:

the ladies will just look but man stare at me for longer,must be thinking i took one of there ladies :D

its good to see your seeing the real philipines!

marlyn&kenny
5th November 2009, 15:24
Hi Northener and Rizza!
My husband Kenny started coming here the Philippines in 2004, His first experience was a total disaster. His second experience was a total scam! However he never lose hope or faith that not all filipinas are bad.
In 2008,He came to meet me. We had 2 wonderful weeks together and continued our engagement, After 1 year He came back here and on the 30th of oct. We became man and wife , and now very happy and looking forward for a happy marriage life!

Good luck on your Journey... of searching your true love.
Regards,

Jay&Zobel
5th November 2009, 15:26
:icon_lol: i noticed i get a lot of guys looking at me :Erm:
but man stare at me for longer,must be thinking i took one of there ladies :D

Yep they're jealous haha :D:Erm:

Have fun Sean!!! Weather here is a bit horrible today :-(

girl england
5th November 2009, 20:20
enjoy ur holiday

rayofLight
5th November 2009, 22:05
Those f:censored:g Roosters! 4am and all I hear is cockadoodledooooo.... :doh :icon_lol:

Ahh well, up early for a day of traveling I guess! Today we take a cruise to Mindanao and see how romantic the ferry is.. :Erm: Seems like my accommodation in Valencia is sorted:xxgrinning--00xx3: Staying with the in laws! Talk about going native! My shower will be a pale and my food of choice will be rice with whatever I can get! Tawi2 would be so proud:D:icon_lol:

Although, actually I am looking forward to it. How many visitors to Pinas get to experience life like a Filipino? Not many I think. Towards the end of the trip I will upscale it again and book into a nice hotel in Cebu before I fly out but till then I am happy to rough it a bit. Although, with Rizza fussing over my every move it is unlikely to be uncomfortable in any way..:luv4:

.................that is what my bf missed now, the roosters noise, hahaha, 'coz when i am in the philippines we used to talk, early morning in Phil, and night time in Uk.....hmmmmmmmm....anyway enjoy your time in Philippines, just try to visit Malapascua, ''island of Cebu'', to see the coral garden..''wow''....it seems like a man'made landscape, ............

Northerner
6th November 2009, 05:32
Well, had a bit of a scare yesterday. Took my visa card to the ATM and tried to withdraw money (for the second day in a row) and it failed to connect (for the second day in a row..). I had already phoned the bank to ensure they had not blocked my card and they insisted that everything was fine at their end... Oh well (a nice 18 quid phone call).. Tried another ATM machine and hey presto! Cash came out:xxgrinning--00xx3: The wonders of modern technology!

Seems the BDO bank is the bank that likes to say :censored: off.. :icon_lol:

Today I am doing something new! Taking a good walk round Valencia!! Travelling here I got a bit of sunburn and the last 2 days I have been chesty and cought a cold! I think it is the heavy dust on these roads?:Erm: Who knows.. But I am starting to feel better today.. So really the last few days has been spent between the mall and Rizza's family home.

Getting used to the bucket and pale:D Almost seems second nature. But being a bit ill has meant I lost my appetite and I decided today to aid in my recovery I was in need of some comfort food! Namely Pizza:Rasp: Plus I am getting tired of Rice:Erm:

Those Roosters are clearly Evil and knew I was coming! Evil I tell ya, Evil... :icon_lol:

Well, we will see what this week brings....

:xxgrinning--00xx3:

vbkelly
6th November 2009, 10:06
Well, had a bit of a scare yesterday. Took my visa card to the ATM and tried to withdraw money (for the second day in a row) and it failed to connect (for the second day in a row..). I had already phoned the bank to ensure they had not blocked my card and they insisted that everything was fine at their end... Oh well (a nice 18 quid phone call).. Tried another ATM machine and hey presto! Cash came out:xxgrinning--00xx3: The wonders of modern technology!

Seems the BDO bank is the bank that likes to say :censored: off.. :icon_lol:

Today I am doing something new! Taking a good walk round Valencia!! Travelling here I got a bit of sunburn and the last 2 days I have been chesty and cought a cold! I think it is the heavy dust on these roads?:Erm: Who knows.. But I am starting to feel better today.. So really the last few days has been spent between the mall and Rizza's family home.

Getting used to the bucket and pale:D Almost seems second nature. But being a bit ill has meant I lost my appetite and I decided today to aid in my recovery I was in need of some comfort food! Namely Pizza:Rasp: Plus I am getting tired of Rice:Erm:

Those Roosters are clearly Evil and knew I was coming! Evil I tell ya, Evil... :icon_lol:

Well, we will see what this week brings....

:xxgrinning--00xx3:

hahaha roosters my husband love it when its start cockering in the morning you gonna use to it if you stay there a bit longer, enjoy evry single moment of your mahal.

Northerner
9th November 2009, 04:14
Mayoon Guntagg..

Ahh.. Bukidnon.. Where do I begin?

So far the mosquitoes are eating me alive so much that my gracious hosts installed a mosquito net to the bed I am sleepig in, to allow me to sleep without providing food every night to the entire local mosquito population..

We (myself and Rizza) decided to take everyone swimming at a local resort just outside of Valencia called "RR?", which is basically a mini theme park with a few pools for kids and live music. It is really a hotel resort like pontins and from what I could see of the place it would be a great place to take a family. Again, I was the only white person so everyone looked at me with a "huh!!" expression I am so used to now.. So I had a good time and spent the day trying to decipher the random words I recognize when I heard my name amidst the conversation:D:D.. All in all a good afternoon.

I have also noticed what I think is an alien concept here in Valencia. Dog Food! Rizza's grandparents have two dogs, an older dog and a puppy. The puppy seems to be my best friend now as I am the only person who actually treats it to something other than scraps:icon_lol: I got funny looks when I tried to feed the pup a fresh slice of ham not yet tainted by flies or half eaten... Seems I was in the wrong?!?! :Rasp: Ahh, well.. A good insight into how food is prioritized here in the Philipinnes.

Last week in Mindanao this week, then back to Cebu by Saturday morning. I have decided that the Marriot is where I will spend my last few days in the Philippines, hot shower.. No Mosqutoes.. Good Food.. Need to re adjust before I go back to the UK or I might find myself standing in the shower with a bowl in hand...:Erm::icon_lol: Ok.. Poor joke..:rolleyes:

Hopefully when we get back to Cebu I an get some photo's uploaded... :CompBuster:

aposhark
9th November 2009, 11:40
So, has she captured your heart now?

Are you smitten?

Don't get too bored with rice - it will be a staple in your home when she joins you!

A tabo appeared in our bathroom yesterday even though we have a shower (don't ask me)!

Have fun there with your mahal :)

pocahontas
9th November 2009, 12:04
ENJOY ENJOY ENJOY.......though you cant help to stop the hussle's might always come mostly unexpected specially your in the philippines..hehe we are all know that. so be PREPARED.. and as long as your together ,things will turn to be fine and great.. 8-) dont forget PICTURESSSSSSSSSSS8-)

Northerner
10th November 2009, 08:49
Pictures will be a coming.... Hopefully when I get to the Marriott! :xxgrinning--00xx3: Need that laptop charging... :rolleyes:

As for Rice.. I like Rice! Just not every morning, afternoon and evening:NoNo: But to be honest Filipino food is not for me! Or maybe it is what I have tried so far.. :Erm: Although I will see what is on offer Filipino wise in the Marriott:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Sim11UK
10th November 2009, 10:18
Have to agree, most of the food is :censored: awful....sickly sweet.

I'm back in the UK now, cold and miserable...enjoy the rest of your stay. :)

aromulus
10th November 2009, 11:59
What the heck have you been eating, guys...????:Erm:

Never had any problems with food overthere.....:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Crispy pata, lechon kawale, lechon baboy, pancit canton, lumpia shanghai, lapu-lapu, calamares, scallops, seafood galore..... :rolleyes:

Apart from balut and that blood stuff.....:yikes:

Bring it on...........:xxgrinning--00xx3:

aposhark
10th November 2009, 12:11

Crispy pata, lechon kawale, lechon baboy, pancit canton, lumpia shanghai, lapu-lapu, calamares, scallops, seafood galore..... :rolleyes:

I'm with Dom on this 100%
I love Filipino food, in fact all Asian food........
I even like the fried handfulls of small fish that my wife made last week!

Ji&Ma
10th November 2009, 13:22
I'm with Dom on this 100%
I love Filipino food, in fact all Asian food........
I even like the fried handfulls of small fish that my wife made last week!

:iagree: no problem with food there at all :NoNo:
Do you mean anchovies? They are very yummy :Rasp:
Otherwise - fried bangus, any fish generally, seafood - lovely...:xxgrinning--00xx3:

triple5
10th November 2009, 16:05
Same here. I'm a big fan of filipino foods. Tried some croco sisig last time, delicious :)

South-east boy
10th November 2009, 16:50
I look forward to seeing the pics as I've enjoyed reading your blog Sean. Wish I could have gone with you as my Suzie lives near Cebu. Hope the mozzies have left you alone a bit?!

Sim11UK
10th November 2009, 17:45

Yes I agree, lapu-lapu, shrimps & the rest of the seafood etc. is lovely, liempo etc. too.

But I still stick to my original view...The bread is so sweet, we had longanisa the other day, which was disgustingly sweet, couldn't eat it.
Corned beef which they seem to love, is stringy & really salty...yuk.
Most of the beef seems to come from Korea, which is chewy & fatty again horrible.

It reminds me of growing up in the 70's, with all that processed meat.
Just remembered Jollibee spaghetti...excuse me, while I :vomit-smiley-011: up. :D

bornatbirth
10th November 2009, 21:09
to be honest eating rice for breakfast,lunch and dinner can at first seem odd but given enough time....i got use to it and it wasnt so bad.

i liked most food there,i only find a few things i didnt like and they do like everything to be sweetened up.

just tell your gf what food you dont like,she will then just get the food you do like :D

Florge
10th November 2009, 21:15
lol... Sean, maybe Rizza has been feeding you some crappy stuff... will give her a word on that... hehehe...

Northerner
11th November 2009, 05:32
For my breakfast this morning I had some spagetti from Greenwhich:Rasp: Rice all of the time does get tiresome! But sometimes a good dish along with it is good..

But Right now Rizza is kind of upset with me... :Erm: I am bored :censored:less with Valencia! She worries if I go out on my own so I end up with a bunch of people with me and the whole term "explore" is so far as alien to these parts as I am.. I understand that there are people walking past me who would kill me for the pesos in my pocket, but I am a big boy (and quite a big boy at that:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:)... But my experience of Valencia is of the mall, a shop here and there and forced by me... the market:Erm: And the biggest discovery I found so far was the stash of porn DVDs in the market:icon_lol: Perhaps we now know why the Filipino population is booming..

Also there is a worrying trend for pharmacy's here not to have stuff! I went to get some cough mixture. Sorry sir we don't have was my reply..How about some strepsils???? wtf.. :doh Another example.. May I have some Asperin? Sorry sir, we don't have!! Headache has gone but the cough remains.. :Brick: Looking forward to Ayala in Cebu, maybe they will have cough mixture. :Erm:

Oh, and there are 3 white people in and around Valencia. We notice each other and look to one another like wounded war vets:icon_lol:

And a beggar here seems to follow me around. I gave him 100 pesos and the following morning he was right there looking as gaunt and starving as the night before.. Except he now follows me from the mall to the department store and thinks that by applying a baseball cap I fail to realize the same person who got some pesos from me a minute or so ago is now on the floor at my feet.. And so he now begs in vain! Not many beggars here as everyone is poor and it is hardly a tourist destination, the words :censored: and hole could apply in some ways. Now before people jump down my throat, yes there are many lovely things about Valencia. But the ugliness is right there in my face, the sight of so many people struggling to get by and the streets are dirty.. The next time I am here it will not be for as long.

:cwm3::Erm::)

D&G
11th November 2009, 07:28

But Right now Rizza is kind of upset with me... :Erm: I am bored :censored:less with Valencia! She worries if I go out on my own so I end up with a bunch of people with me and the whole term "explore" is so far as alien to these parts as I am..

first "tampo" experience i bet ....be prepared for more "tampo" to come! :D:icon_lol:

aromulus
11th November 2009, 08:49
But the ugliness is right there in my face, the sight of so many people struggling to get by and the streets are dirty.. The next time I am here it will not be for as long.

It seems to me that you are finding it very difficult to get over the cultural shock.....:NoNo:

Poverty in Phil is in your face, you cannot escape it, is all around you, from morning till night, it follows you and keeps reminding you it is there all the time, it is endemic.

Despite all the problems caused by this poverty, you cannot stop admiring the Filipinos, for their contagious smiles and resilience, against all the adversities that life and destiny throw at them.

It is your first time overthere, and everything looks and feels strange, out of place, nothing that you can compare it with and so leaves you slightly disillusioned and wanting to put it behind you... Escape it...

You can't.:NoNo:

The sooner you realize that Phil is different, the sooner you will be able to relax to it and enjoy your experience that little bit more.

If you are going to the Ayala centre in Cebu, I can recommend a very good and inexpensive eating place, The "Cafe Laguna" on the basement floor is outstanding.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

D&G
11th November 2009, 09:41
Despite all the problems caused by this poverty, you cannot stop admiring the Filipinos, for their contagious smiles and resilience, against all the adversities that life and destiny throw at them.

The sooner you realize that Phil is different, the sooner you will be able to relax to it and enjoy your experience that little bit more.

amen to that! :xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

wow! it made me appreciate my hunny even more...he never ever whine at all and he seemed alright as long as we're together...must be love eh :love:

Bluebirdjones
11th November 2009, 09:58
Sean
I think many of us here have seen that movie….
I think that as a reaction to the poverty and general dirtiness, many Filipinas want to take their beau somewhere nice… ie the local, newly built, air-conditioned Mall, where to wander aimlessly around (in my opinion) is the norm, and stop & inspect in minute detail every offering in every shop.
To me (and obviously & many, many others) and to you …. it is mind numbingly BORING.
Most Filipinas seem to think that we want a quiet, relaxing time, sitting there drinking coffee etc ….. WE DON’T !

I went to the Philippines to meet my “intended”, and also see and experience the Philippines ….. the good, the bad, and the ugly…….. not to wander from one shopping mall to another. And it’s an INCREDIBLE country !

Mrs BBJ and I now have a “standard” system……. if/when we visit a shopping mall (which is rare these days) I give her a set time & meeting place, then wind her up & let her go !
I usually find a coffee shop & sit & read my book.

I’d suggest that you search the internet (or ask members who’ve been there) to look what is around there ….. make it plain that you want to “explore”, to see outside the City, to visit the natural beauty / historical sites. Go out for the day just you & her, then return at night to eat /talk with the family.

Also….. be upfront with Rizza…. explain that you are there to see her & her family, and understand/see the Philippines, and altho’ the UK is not the Wild West, you have common sense, are street-smart and can look after yourself.
As nice as the Mall is, it is NOT the reason you are there ……

Sim11UK
11th November 2009, 12:00
Also there is a worrying trend for pharmacy's here not to have stuff! I went to get some cough mixture. Sorry sir we don't have was my reply..How about some strepsils???? wtf.. :doh Another example.. May I have some Asperin? Sorry sir, we don't have!! Headache has gone but the cough remains.. :Brick: Looking forward to Ayala in Cebu, maybe they will have cough mixture. :Erm:

It's just possible supplies are low, as a result of all the typhoons. This was the case when I was there. I'm not neccessarily referring to pharmacys, but there were signs stating things were in short supply & it was well documented on the news, a couple of weeks ago.

The Philippines is as you see it, it's not the glossy resorts...The streets are dirty, you feel the heat, you have to be careful where you step, for fear of falling down a hole. Poverty is just everywhere. etc. etc.

If you gave that man 100 pesos, don't be surprised if he follows you back to Manchester.

I think you're just venting your frustrations, we probably all do....I love the Philippines, but sometimes I look around & see things & I hate the Philippines.

triple5
11th November 2009, 13:40
I don't think I've ever given more than 10 pesos to a beggar. 100 pesos! I'm surprised there's not a mob waiting for you every time you step outside. If you're not enjoying valencia why not go somewhere else? Is there a reason you're stuck there? You're on holiday, make the most of it, no sense in staying in a place you don't like.

JimOttley
11th November 2009, 14:54
It seems to me that you are finding it very difficult to get over the cultural shock.....:NoNo:

Poverty in Phil is in your face, you cannot escape it, is all around you, from morning till night, it follows you and keeps reminding you it is there all the time, it is endemic.

It is your first time overthere, and everything looks and feels strange, out of place, nothing that you can compare it with and so leaves you slightly disillusioned and wanting to put it behind you... Escape it...

You can't.:NoNo:

If you are going to the Ayala centre in Cebu, I can recommend a very good and inexpensive eating place, The "Cafe Laguna" on the basement floor is outstanding.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Couldn't agree more :xxgrinning--00xx3:, for me it's all about the people, the beauty of the philippines is in the people (most of them).

I can see how hard it can be to adjust for some folk though.

Jim

JimOttley
11th November 2009, 14:58
Aye Sean, 100 peso is an awful big gift in Cebu, hard not to, but not the best thing to do to be honest, he probably will follow you all the way back to Manchester ;)

Jim

IainBusby
11th November 2009, 18:31
For my breakfast this morning I had some spagetti from Greenwhich:Rasp: Rice all of the time does get tiresome! But sometimes a good dish along with it is good..

But Right now Rizza is kind of upset with me... :Erm: I am bored :censored:less with Valencia! She worries if I go out on my own so I end up with a bunch of people with me and the whole term "explore" is so far as alien to these parts as I am.. I understand that there are people walking past me who would kill me for the pesos in my pocket, but I am a big boy (and quite a big boy at that:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:)... But my experience of Valencia is of the mall, a shop here and there and forced by me... the market:Erm: And the biggest discovery I found so far was the stash of porn DVDs in the market:icon_lol: Perhaps we now know why the Filipino population is booming..

Oh, and there are 3 white people in and around Valencia. We notice each other and look to one another like wounded war vets:icon_lol:

And a beggar here seems to follow me around. I gave him 100 pesos and the following morning he was right there looking as gaunt and starving as the night before.. Except he now follows me from the mall to the department store and thinks that by applying a baseball cap I fail to realize the same person who got some pesos from me a minute or so ago is now on the floor at my feet.. And so he now begs in vain! Not many beggars here as everyone is poor and it is hardly a tourist destination, the words :censored: and hole could apply in some ways. Now before people jump down my throat, yes there are many lovely things about Valencia. But the ugliness is right there in my face, the sight of so many people struggling to get by and the streets are dirty.. The next time I am here it will not be for as long.

Big mistake, if you gave him just a few pesos (coins) then he might still pester you if he seen you around, but I don't think he'd bother following you around the place.

Arthur Little
12th November 2009, 01:54
When I booked the second of my two trips, it'd originally been my intention to stay for the same length of time as I HAD on the first occasion, i.e. 3 weeks. However, having just got married, I was naturally reluctant to leave so soon afterwards. And besides, with Christmas/New Year on the horizon ... and being retired ... it made sense to remain there over the Festive Season ... since it seemed likely to be the only one my new wife and I would spend together in HER homeland.

Once Myrna's visa application had been lodged with the Embassy, I AGAIN extended my stay ... in the vain hope of her being granted Entry Clearance to coincide with my return to the UK so that she could travel back with me. Somewhat ironically, the visa arrived within three days of my departure.

As it happened, my last fortnight in the Phils was fraught with tension and anxiety ... not helped by the overpowering humidity and incessant mosquito bites. I therefore grew increasingly 'wabbit and crabbit' :23_111_9[1]: ... a vicious circle :cwm34: that seemed to co-exist with a gradual worsening of my recurrent hearing problems. Moreover, like Sean, I developed an *aversion to having rice with every meal [perhaps it's *"a British failing"!] and frequently found myself seeking out the nearest McDonalds.

Oh ... and of course, I too, had difficulty in trying to ignore the beseeching looks and outstretched palms ... especially those of the young kids who hung around ATMs, shop fronts and under/overpasses - either with or without their parents.

But for all that, I have nothing but praise and admiration for the Filipino people in general. Their engaging smile :) in the face of hardship and adversity, is a joy to behold - capable of melting the hardest of hearts.

JimOttley
12th November 2009, 03:43
Oh ... and of course, I too, had difficulty in trying to ignore the beseeching looks and outstretched palms ... especially those of the young kids who hung around ATMs, shop fronts and under/overpasses - either with or without their parents.

But for all that, I have nothing but praise and admiration for the Filipino people in general. Their engaging smile :) in the face of hardship and adversity, is a joy to behold - capable of melting the hardest of hearts.

I agree Arthur.

Regards the food, I am actually very fond of rice at every meal, Chicken Tocino with some rice at breakfast is very nice :) I cook like that at home now most of the time.

And although I found it strange at first I actually find myself missing the sweet tasting bread, lightly toasted, with scrambled egg and black pepper that Ana makes me for breakfast sometimes (this'll kill me quicker than anything :D but it makes a nice change)

I really like the food but we are lucky we have 2 and 1/2 good cooks in the family when I am in the Phils, Nanay and Ana are the two and I am the 1/2 as I only cook sometimes but the family really like my take on Asian cuisine :) (I've been single all my life so I had to learn to cook :) and rice has always been big on my menu).

I am sadly going to miss Christmas this year which will be the first time in a long time that has happened :bigcry: but we have to tighten our belts.

Always get bitten by ants or mosquitoes when we are in bed they never seem to touch Ana :D you get used to it eventually :)

I also think that as a westerner you have to look at the place with compassionate eye's but even then you can't help everyone, the problems there are too big.

They are a lovely people and if you don't judge they will take you to their hearts, and for a lonely old Scot like me that is a very precious thing.

Jim

Tawi2
13th November 2009, 00:48
Dirt and squalour in Pinas :Erm:Is there really?I spent a year in India before visiting Pinas for the first time so everything in the islands looked super modern and sparkly compared to downtown Calcutta :icon_lol:Pinoy food?You get used to it,as I always say owts better than nowt :xxgrinning--00xx3: But steer clear of the Malls,never understand westerners who go to Pinas and spend all day moping around a Mall,get yourself a mask and some fins,hit the beach,and try your best to shrug off your 'Chaperones' and go walkabout even for a day on your own :)

Northerner
13th November 2009, 02:57
:Erm: Yeah I was letting off a little steam before.. But as today is my last day in Valencia it seems kind of shallow...

The joy of today is waiting for my salary to go into the bank. Seems it has yet to go in, although it was 1.30am UK time when I checked:cwm34: But hope it goes in soon otherwise Cebu will be a day later.

Once in Cebu, I will get a chance to wander again. Rizza plans to go back to work on saturday so I will have the day to myself... Go and see Alan and explore some more perhaps... :xxgrinning--00xx3:

As for Rice.. I buy a bag of it every month back home, it is a staple part of my diet. But, I also have a lot of other options. That is perhaps the reason I am miffed with it..

Northerner
13th November 2009, 03:26
Another minor gripe.....

The Filipino taste in music:Erm::omg::omg::omg::omg:

Every morning I get to listen to christmas songs from an album that would give Cliff Richard shame if he owned it:icon_lol: A bouncy mix like black lace would be proud to call their own, really it is THAT bad... And it is very popular in the house:Erm: Why I am still trying to figure out...

:D:D:D

jonathan47
13th November 2009, 10:31
Northerner,
i had to laugh at your posts about food and the conditions i feel like i am re living my first trip to the philippines, can i give you a tip take your western brain out and put a western perspective in instead !!! heheh
i used to get so frustrated with the traffic that it can take hours to go get a simple item the poverty all around ... however having been a few times i take a big breath relax and enjoy the beauty of the philipines culture... i have so much respect for filipinos they are so happy big smiles and even if they dont have much will share it with you, the men go to froiegn countries to work spending 9/10/12 months away from there wife or mahal i not sure young men here would make that commitment, i have never seen cleaner houses yes cebu, manila are dirty smelly but get tp the province wow what a place ( the mossies will stop biting you when you been in country for a few weeks and you skin cools down ) !!! i cant help but be effected by the poverty and when as i hope i live there one day i will not be able to live in the community and ignore it i will have to for my own piece of mind help the community in some small way !!!

just my opinion

regards
jonathan

jonathan47
13th November 2009, 10:31
i meant eastern perspective ... woops !!!

triple5
13th November 2009, 11:48
Another minor gripe.....

The Filipino taste in music:Erm::omg::omg::omg::omg:

Every morning I get to listen to christmas songs from an album that would give Cliff Richard shame if he owned it:icon_lol: A bouncy mix like black lace would be proud to call their own, really it is THAT bad... And it is very popular in the house:Erm: Why I am still trying to figure out...

:D:D:D

I guess nobody told you xmas starts in September over there? :icon_lol:

aromulus
13th November 2009, 12:01
I guess nobody told you xmas starts in September over there? :icon_lol:

It seemed to me that the Crimbo tree never came down....:icon_lol:

JimOttley
13th November 2009, 15:13
It seemed to me that the Crimbo tree never came down....:icon_lol:

First year in our condo, she never took it down till I came back in March :icon_lol:

Florge
13th November 2009, 23:01
oh Sean...you must have been a victim of the jologs crowd as far as music is concerned.. lol... jump on a bus... go to Davao.. spend a few days there and I am sure, you'll have a great time!!!

JimOttley
13th November 2009, 23:41
oh Sean...you must have been a victim of the jologs crowd as far as music is concerned.. lol... jump on a bus... go to Davao.. spend a few days there and I am sure, you'll have a great time!!!

There is a lot of good music to be heard in Manila too, the big cities are better at this ;)

Everybody in Britain has an auntie or uncle that has some real horrors in the record collection too :icon_lol:

We have the same Christmas jingles "Muzak" in the house that Sean is getting a bit tired of, it's never ending in the Phils :)

Like everything else there I got used to it, it made the people around me happy so that made me happy too.

On my short visit to Cebu many years ago now, I did find the music in most night spots leaned very much toward reggae and that is one musical form that I am not a great fan of, Manila had more variety but as I say it was a very short visit to Cebu.

Jim

Northerner
15th November 2009, 05:24
Finally back in Cebu:xxgrinning--00xx3:

I arrived at about 5am in the Marriott t o be told they had no rooms, but by 12pm I could check in and there would be no problem. This was fine by me as I had gotten a few hours sleep on the ferry so was happy to explore Cebu for a few hours..

Rizza had to go to work so she went to her boarding house to get ready, taking her brother Michael with her, who had returned with us from Mindanao.

I sat there and waited until breakfast was served at 6am and from about 5.40am I was alone.. And enjoyed the people watching at that hour.. The sexy looking ladies who left via the elevator and walked straight out of the hotel made me smile. Not a sight I expected to see in the Marriott:icon_lol:

Breakfast over I descended onto Ayala and then moved onto SM mall..

I had already arranged to meet Alan and had some tea bags and English Mustard in my case, so after 12pm I went back to the Marriott and got ready.. Getting ready was an experience in itself as I had missed the comfort of a hot shower and was in there for well over an hour..

Off to see Alan.. I arrived outside Alan's apartment and texted him to let him know I was outside. Alan came out and greeted me with his lovely wife Hanna, inviting me inside for a drink and a chat. We spent a good few hours talking about everything Filipino and British and shared our experiences. Alan knows a lot about the Philippines and told me far more in the few hours we spoke together than I had learned in my 2 plus weeks here. Thanks Al:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

Rizza gave me some excuse that she was busy at work so I was alone for the evening. But I went to dinner with Alan and Hanna, before retiring for the evening...

Another gripe... Rizza's Tita had told her not to see me yesterday as she fears I am in some ways a "bad western man"... The Filipino over protectionism strikes again..:doh

Northerner
15th November 2009, 05:40
Rizza, her family and Me

http://filipinaroses.com/picture.php?albumid=257&pictureid=2513

Lechon....

When we picked him out

http://filipinaroses.com/picture.php?albumid=257&pictureid=2510

Later

http://filipinaroses.com/picture.php?albumid=257&pictureid=2511

Much later.....

http://filipinaroses.com/picture.php?albumid=257&pictureid=2512

More to come:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

dave63
15th November 2009, 09:43
Thanks for photos. Reminds me of my lechon in Cebu. yumm yumm. I like the last photo. Is that you on table after mosquitos got to you?:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

Northerner
15th November 2009, 11:13
http://filipinaroses.com/picture.php?albumid=257&pictureid=2516

http://filipinaroses.com/picture.php?albumid=257&pictureid=2515

http://filipinaroses.com/picture.php?albumid=257&pictureid=2514

And more to come when I can:Erm::xxgrinning--00xx3:

Alan
15th November 2009, 11:28
Thanks for your comments Sean - it was fantastic to meet you! Pity we couldn't meet your lovely lady.

Tea bags and Colman's BRILLIANT!!! Had them for brekkies this morning. Mind you - they are an acquired taste - together!!!

We ate at Casa Verde - IT Park. Beautiful food - wonderful service! Casa Verde Robinsons is the original - but to me always too crowded. CV Ayala is too expensive and they only ever seem to have half of the menu available. IT Park for me every time!!!!

Enjoy your hot showers you lucky sod!!!! I would give ANYTHING for a hot shower - as in - I would give my left arm to be ambidextrous!!!

Regards,

Al.:)

Hmmm! Should this have been a PM??

whiteraven
15th November 2009, 12:28
nice pics sean, glad you are having such a good time:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Tawi2
15th November 2009, 12:32
Your a "Bad western man" :Erm: Looks like you enjoyed the trip though,dont you tan :icon_lol:?Whats the next stage?Formal engagement?Your right about some of those ladies in Marriott,I once saw one who looked like aphrodite,Penelope Cruz,and every mans wet dream morphed into one :cwm24: She looked like her dress was spray painted on,or she had been poured into it :cwm24::icon_lol: Happy days :icon_lol: Whens your flight back?Looking forward to it or having mixed emotions about leaving?

RickyR
15th November 2009, 12:33
Good to see your enjoying the Philippines, future visits will become easier and easier and you'll wonder what the fuss is about.
A tip with the food is that if you ask them to prepare the Filipino dishes with fillets of meat or fish, removing fat, bones and skin the meals do become a lot easier to eat and more palatable for our western tastes. Not traditional, but thats how Marvie cooks for me when i'm home. I also tend to buy Japanese Rice, as I prefer it.
I also agree with Aromulus, the Cafe Laguna in Ayala is excellent.

The poverty in the Philippines is quite a shock, but if you really want to see the true povery visit Pasil. I have been down to the Don Bosco a few times, and it makes you realise how lucky we are in life, and a little bit can help.

In Manila the Philippine Community Fund has setup schools and education on the famous Smokey Mountain waste site which is the hope to 6000 people making a living sifting through the garbage. The result is this:

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m38.l1313&_nkw=recycled+juice+bag&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Northerner
15th November 2009, 14:30
Thanks guys.. And yes, I don't tan:NoNo: I have two colours, white and pink!!! That's what happens when your mother was a red head! I missed out on the gingerness, but got the skin. I often joke it is the reason I am attracted to Asian ladies:D:D:D:Erm::)

And another night where Rizza has been ordered to do other things than stay with me:doh The joys of having a Baptist auntie ordering your girlfriend about... Or it might have something to do with my debating skills concerning the bible (as an Atheist) with said Aunties husband:icon_lol: He tried to convert me, so I tried to de-convert him... Over Lechon and Coconut Juice:D

Sooo.... Reckon a few jars of San Mig is on order for tonight. And I know just the place:rolleyes: Then back to the room for some shut eye and an early rise...

JimOttley
15th November 2009, 14:38
Thanks guys.. And yes, I don't tan:NoNo: I have two colours, white and pink!!! That's what happens when your mother was a red head! I missed out on the gingerness, but got the skin. I often joke it is the reason I am attracted to Asian ladies:D:D:D:Erm::)

And another night where Rizza has been ordered to do other things than stay with me:doh The joys of having a Baptist auntie ordering your girlfriend about... Or it might have something to do with my debating skills concerning the bible (as an Atheist) with said Aunties husband:icon_lol: He tried to convert me, so I tried to de-convert him... Over Lechon and Coconut Juice:D

Sooo.... Reckon a few jars of San Mig is on order for tonight. And I know just the place:rolleyes: Then back to the room for some shut eye and an early rise...

Ah that explains the problem :D Had I been your age I may probably have done the same but it's not wise :)

Enjoy your San Mig's Sean :D

Jim

somebody
15th November 2009, 14:41

Just be careful chatting about religion Sean I found it far easier to avoid the subject all together. Im sure your aware like in many parts of the US and unlike in the UK. Open disscussion of the pro's and con's of religion is not high on the agenda.

One wrong word could create a nasty wound which make take forever to heal..

Its the Phillipines where sadly bigtory is very much alive and well. If i sent the book i was given by a realtive on how to be a good husband to you I think you be shocked. The hate towards non belivers and followers of all other religions would probably mean the author would be arrested in the UK:omg:

aromulus
15th November 2009, 14:57
And another night where Rizza has been ordered to do other things than stay with me:doh The joys of having a Baptist auntie ordering your girlfriend about... Or it might have something to do with my debating skills concerning the bible (as an Atheist) with said Aunties husband:icon_lol: He tried to convert me, so I tried to de-convert him... :)

I am afraid that you haven't helped or endeared yourself a lot with an unwinnable religious debate.:doh
You may, actually, have lost any brownie points collected before then...:NoNo:

I sincereley hope to be wrong in my assumption but it sounds as if you will have to work very hard at rebuilding the relationship.:omg:

JimOttley
15th November 2009, 16:19
I am afraid that you haven't helped or endeared yourself a lot with an unwinnable religious debate.:doh

I sincereley hope to be wrong in my assumption but it sounds as if you will have to work very hard at rebuilding the relationship.:omg:

I agree and I should not really have used smiley's in my reply to Sean (just trying to be positive for him) but it's really not a good idea to talk religion in the Phils.

I had the advantage of being brought up Catholic it was one of the first things Nanay ever asked about me, plus even at 45 years old I was still single never married that won me brownie points as well.

Ana and the family know I no longer have conventional Catholic faith and they accept that, but it is only right that one should show respect to their faith.

I really hope you've not done to much damage Sean, best of luck.

Jim

Tawi2
15th November 2009, 16:34
If your sitting in the Marriott twiddling your thumbs theres a very active bar a short walk away across the road from Ayala,or theres always Sunflower Disco,every taxi driver knows it,its infa...erm famous in Cebu :icon_lol: As for religion,be yourself,dont bend for anyone,they should accept you as you are just as you accept them.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

liane
15th November 2009, 16:35
Thanks for sharing the pictures Sean.:)

Looks like you had a nice time there with Rizza though I know life in UK is very much different from here.

Charge it all to Experience!:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

Hope you and Rizza created a strong foundation in your relationship!
Best Wishes :Hellooo::Hellooo::Hellooo:

Leo
15th November 2009, 17:36
hi sean I have been following your posts glad you are having a good time hope you are going to show us some more pictures when you get time

somebody
15th November 2009, 18:28
If your sitting in the Marriott twiddling your thumbs theres a very active bar a short walk away across the road from Ayala,or theres always Sunflower Disco,every taxi driver knows it,its infa...erm famous in Cebu :icon_lol: As for religion,be yourself,dont bend for anyone,they should accept you as you are just as you accept them.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

While i agree you should be proud of what you belive sometimes it pays at least at first to just not mention to much or often.

My Wife is a Catholic but hardly ultra religous outwardly but has a strong faith which i never really saw untill we went to Rome. As do all her friends who are very liberal young Women but still at times show a strong faith not seen normally in Brits.

I strongly dont agree with some of the practises the RC Church have, but my Wife wanting to spend as much of our spare holiday money on trinkets, roseary beads, cards and booklets on some of the Churchs plus lighting Candles for her Lola PO (a born again protestant just for the record as half the family are while the others are RC ) who passed away recently. Was ok by me as it meant so much to her and how did it hurt me?

It simply didn't, in fact I found myself taking more pictures and Videos so she could post so her friends who may never go to Rome and the Vatican have the chance to share. Helping the Wife look for the cheapest places so we could get as many bits as possible, and also some special bits for certain indivudals including one Friend who has joined the Church as a Trainee Father.

I could say not getting involved I dont agree etc, but no one got hurt and how many friends and family got pleasure from a few moments on a Holiday we greatly enjoyed:)

Anyone who finds themselves in a mixed race,culture, religion partnership cant always stand to their guns I think both sides should at least tolerate the others beliefs and understand what it means to them.

Debating with the elders of a family on such an important subject in Pinas is a minefield.

An example was on an early Visit one of my Wifes Lolas Brothers who is a Doctor a good English Speaker and has lived in the US. So i presumed was a worldly open minded man I made a passing comment about all people and of whatever background are equal all religions etc The look said it all, converstaion was changed there and then.

Dedworth
15th November 2009, 19:34

Northerner - I'd cross my fingers and hope it ends in a short dose of Tampo

Northerner
16th November 2009, 01:52
Oooh.. The Religious debate.. Well, I did keep my mouth shut for as long as I could, until it was clear somebody was trying to convert me. Then all those pages of the God Delusion, the End of Faith and God is not Great came to the forefront of my mind. I have no problem with anyone of any faith, so long as they accept me as a person of no faith. And if they don't and assume I am ignorant, then I will speak out.

I too was raised in a devout Catholic family! I have an Aunt who goes to church every day... Why???

Because her son (who we think was gay) killed himself after a nervous breakdown and a lousy life with bouts of depression. That's what happens when a kid who is different is forced into a college to train as a priest:cwm23: And so now she "knows" that her son is in hell after commiting such a sin against the creator.. Perhaps this is one of the reasons I looked twice at my church and thought, hold on..... Plus I did actually read the bible as a kid and could debate my RE teacher even back then:Erm:

Ahhhhhhh.... :doh

fred
16th November 2009, 02:12
If you visit Bohol whilst here...Pop in...I`ll buy you a beer.
(ask Alan for directions!)

Northerner
17th November 2009, 16:54
Another time Fred.. Thanks!

Right now I am in cold and rainy Manchester, making my way home. Trying to think again of a life away from Pinas..

Ahh.. What a time I had though! Amazing in many ways and in other ways a place I am glad I am away from.. But meeting Rizza and spending time with her and her family was worth every penny and every biy of sunburn!

And yes I miss her already............

Tawi2
17th November 2009, 17:07
I just found myself smiling,a wry little grin when you were honest enough to admit in some ways you were glad to be away from Pinas :icon_lol: Its an aquired taste in some ways,depends what you have experienced in the past :icon_lol: That trip sped by like a taxi on a rainy day,glad you enjoyed it,but the question remains,when are you going back :)

Sim11UK
17th November 2009, 17:08
Welcome back...you did it, good for you. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

So how are things between you?...Sorry to be nosey, but in your recent posts, things didn't sound to good & you didn't seem to be enjoying yourself?

If you're missing her, I guess that's a good sign. :)

Ann07
17th November 2009, 17:11
Lovely pics there Sean...Thanks:)

Looks like you had a wonderful time back in PI:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Welcome back heheheh:)

Sim11UK
17th November 2009, 17:12
I just found myself smiling,a wry little grin when you were honest enough to admit in some ways you were glad to be away from Pinas :icon_lol: Its an aquired taste in some ways,depends what you have experienced in the past :icon_lol:

I'd agree with that Tawi, for some it could be a living hell...It's not always an easy ride. :)

Florge
17th November 2009, 17:14
oh Sean! welcome back! thanks or your offline messages by the way... yep.. it's getting colder now... you should've stayed a bit longer in the Phils... hehehe

Northerner
17th November 2009, 17:19
Oh I do miss Rizza... And I know the feeling is shared. It was a tearfull farewell in Cebu only a day ago..

As for Pinas.. I had an interesting last few minutes when I went to the loo at the boarding gate. This guy passed me soap and stuff like a washroom attendant and so I tipped him the last pesos I had in cash. I was then surrounded by his two buddies who wanted some money for the guys!!! Blocking my path and bringing out a clear fight or flight reaction.. I told this kid who stepped in my way for the second time to move the f@#* out of my way, clearly annoyed. Because these guys blocked me in like they were going to mug me!!! Even asking for pounds or dollars!?!

One of the reasons I am glad to be away! But yeah, I miss Rizza...

Tawi2
17th November 2009, 17:26
I think it was feb or march this year I flew into Zamboanga,hadnt been there for ages so I dumped my bags in the Hotel and headed for the port to see if it had changed much,guy stepped out of an alleyway and said "Give me your money" :icon_lol: I am surprised that happened to you in Cebu though,a few years ago I slept in a doorway in downtown Cebu just to try and see it from a homeless persons perspective,got a few odd looks but no hassle whatsoever,the country is changing year on year :) At least you experienced the grass roots :) Its always different from the sterile isolation of a Marriott room or the cleanliness and bustle of a modern mall,you stayed in a typical pinoy house,kudos for that :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Northerner
17th November 2009, 18:12
Oh those turkeys didn't stop me in Cebu, they stopped me in manila. At the gate, after passing all the security and going past the duty free.. I think they were cleaners and thought they could scare me into handing over some cash. Sure, there was three of them but I already decided to not give in to them. Even stroking my right cheek just so I had a hand to cover - just in case!

Getting robbed was something that didn't happen to me in the Phils this time, and yes there will be more times!!! Unless you count those manila taxi drivers, as I could say they robbed me :D

Tawi2
17th November 2009, 18:21
Manila taxi drivers think everyone bar themselves is a total and utter idiot:icon_lol:At least Dick Turpin had the decency to wear a mask when he robbed people :icon_lol:The first time I ever went to Pinas my Taxi driver had a mesh cage around him :Erm:He told me there had been a spate of robberies,taxi-drivers being stabbed for their cash :omg:In hindsight I think maybe it was to protect him from disgruntled passangers :icon_lol:

Northerner
17th November 2009, 18:33
Well, my final cab driver stung me for 250 pesos from terminal 2 to terminal 1, reckoned that was what the meter said!!! So if he does that to all his white customers, I am not too shocked to learn some other Filipino might want to rob him...

Ahh well, back home where I know the tricks.. Got the bus home too.. Why pay a taxi when a bus takes me round the corner!! :D Besides.... Had enough of taxis for a while...

dave63
18th November 2009, 17:53
Welcome back home. I have been following your exploits keenly.Reminds me a lot of my visits, but with no bad taxis,cleaners. But did experience the religion thing! Hope it all did not put you off going again.