PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone think of some small items to send?

South-east boy
14th November 2009, 11:04
I am waiting for a balikbayan box to be delivered for me to send to Phils, but I think I'm going to have a bit of spare space in it. I was wondering if anyone can think of some items that are not too big, not too heavy and are not too expensive (as I've already got the presents and am just trying to fill the box up!). Maybe something that is not available there or not easy to get, things that would be very appreciated or something that is relatively cheap for us here to what it is there.

Thanks! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

darren-b
14th November 2009, 11:09
Chocolate always seems to be appreciated.

South-east boy
14th November 2009, 11:15
Chocolate always seems to be appreciated.

That's already sorted! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

darren-b
14th November 2009, 11:22
That's already sorted! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

You can never send enough chocolate :)

South-east boy
14th November 2009, 11:33
You can never send enough chocolate :)

:icon_lol:

dave63
14th November 2009, 11:54
Medicines. I have found small and useful items to send:D

South-east boy
14th November 2009, 13:02
Medicines. I have found small and useful items to send:D

That's a good one as I think Sean (Northener) mentioned that he had trouble finding certain ones and my Suzie hadn't taken anything when she had wisdom toothache.

Any in particular? Obviously things like paracetemol etc.

KeithD
14th November 2009, 13:34
....I was wondering if anyone can think of some items that are not too big, not too heavy and are not too expensive .....
A 1p stamp :xxgrinning--00xx3:

kimmi
14th November 2009, 20:12
That's a good one as I think Sean (Northener) mentioned that he had trouble finding certain ones and my Suzie hadn't taken anything when she had wisdom toothache.

Lemsip/Nurofen/creams..Teabags..jewellery:Erm::Erm::D

maria_and_matt
14th November 2009, 20:58
lipstick, lip gloss :icon_lol:

Dedworth
14th November 2009, 21:21
Coffee, Hot Chocolate

SteveUK
14th November 2009, 22:04
Jelly babies
biscuits
nail varnish (especially the sparkly stuff)
pre paid credit cards. (send pin by SMS or e-mail)
newspaper cuttings of local stories
envelopes and writing material for letter sending (building evidence)

alicat
14th November 2009, 22:39
xmas pudding
marmite
loads of chocolate

liane
15th November 2009, 03:37
Perfume and chocolates:xxgrinning--00xx3:

dave63
15th November 2009, 09:48
Minced up me:omg:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would do anything to go back there:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

Dedworth
15th November 2009, 10:21
Toothpaste

pennybarry
15th November 2009, 10:29
Soap
Shampoo
Toothpaste
second hand toys for children
more and more additional chocolates.

Dedworth
15th November 2009, 15:00

Strepsils.

I've just remembered another favourite - Shortbread biscuits

South-east boy
16th November 2009, 02:23
Thanks for all the ideas!

Chocolates/sweets -I already have 2kg's worth! :icon_lol:

Make-up -I must have bought her a complete new set!

I bought a 240 box of teabags + some with mango which I have already sent her before.

I bought some paracetemol & cold/flu/decongestant tablets and found out that you can now only buy 2 items of them at a time! I also bought some sore throat sweets, savlon type cream and Blistese lip cream.

Bought some shower cream stuff and will probably get some shampoo, but not quite which to get as there seems to be so many types for women! :icon_lol:

Already have some jewellery.

Already have some fancy soaps!

Thinking of getting some Christmas crackers and also that German/Austrian Stolen cake.

Might also get some toothpaste, shortbread and nail varnish.

I think I could fit quite a few 10 stamps in there, but don't know what she'd do with them! :icon_lol:

What about Milk powder like Coffee-mate?

South-east boy
16th November 2009, 02:26
Minced up me:omg:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would do anything to go back there:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

I don't think they'll be enough room in there for you as well as me! :icon_lol: If only I could travel there as cheap as the box! :icon_lol:

darren-b
16th November 2009, 08:12
Chocolates/sweets -I already have 2kg's worth! :icon_lol:

2 Kgs? Not enough.... When we travel out there my wife buys more than that at dutyfree as an afterthought (we already have loads in our suitcases...).

South-east boy
16th November 2009, 21:56
Well, just found out that the Balibayan box will take 8-9 weeks, so that's no good anymore! Said 4-5 weeks on the website + pick up time and a week before it goes.

Am getting quotes with courier companies, but I've noticed that the prohibited items include no liquids -so that's shower cream and hair shampoo that's no good - will I get away with nail varnish? Also says no drugs/medicines, so I guess that means I can't send any paracetemol/cold/flu tablets etc? Toothpaste isn't really liquid, so I should be able to get away with that I would have thought.

Dedworth
16th November 2009, 22:36
Which outfit gave the dud website info ?

South-east boy
16th November 2009, 22:54
Which outfit gave the dud website info ?

Probably slightly my fault as when I said 4 weeks to Philippines customs I thought that meant that it was virtually ready to be picked up. Should have asked them when I phoned them last week really! Says this on the Forex website "Boxes will normally leave a week after it has been collected from you. From then it will take about 4 weeks to arrive at Philippine Customs. At about this time only will our search be updated. " They said it goes to Manila first, then has to go onto Cebu, but it seems like it must take quite a while from customs to arrive at Cebu, unless being near Christmas things are a lot slower as it's so busy?

Dedworth
16th November 2009, 23:05
Probably slightly my fault as when I said 4 weeks to Philippines customs I thought that meant that it was virtually ready to be picked up. Should have asked them when I phoned them last week really! Says this on the Forex website "Boxes will normally leave a week after it has been collected from you. From then it will take about 4 weeks to arrive at Philippine Customs. At about this time only will our search be updated. " They said it goes to Manila first, then has to go onto Cebu, but it seems like it must take quite a while from customs to arrive at Cebu, unless being near Christmas things are a lot slower as it's so busy?

Yeah its too late for Xmas. Why don't you still send it & give her something to look forward to in Jan. I guess the DHL's etc are strict about liquids 'cos its going by air.

South-east boy
17th November 2009, 00:01
Yeah its too late for Xmas. Why don't you still send it & give her something to look forward to in Jan. I guess the DHL's etc are strict about liquids 'cos its going by air.

Well, the thing is her Birthday is December 8th (I was originally thinking of using a courier before I knew about the balikbayan boxes), so I wasn't so keen on the things being later than her Birthday, but I really don't want to miss Christmas as well. There are some things specifically for Christmas and for the rest of the family too. Looks like I should be able to get the courier price in the £60's (the balikbayn was £40) so not too bad and I found another company that will do medicinal stuff (non liquid of course)etc as long as the value is under £250. Still won't do liquids though which means that I'm going to have to buy her Mum some other present!