PDA

View Full Version : I need an opinion here.

fatedtoloveyou
15th November 2009, 00:38
I was given a contract as a relief care assistant. It says ad hoc basis or as and when required. Does it mean Its not sure if im going to work or not? There's no specific no. of hours. What do you think guys? As a starting job for me. Is it fine or not?

bornatbirth
15th November 2009, 00:54
well,when a member of staff needs covering or goes sick or on holiday they need a replacement thats where the relief comes in,so you only get payed when you work.

dont you want a full time job?,you would be better off looking for a agency.

fatedtoloveyou
15th November 2009, 01:02
well,when a member of staff needs covering or goes sick or on holiday they need a replacement thats where the relief comes in,so you only get payed when you work.

dont you want a full time job?,you would be better off looking for a agency.

well they said that I can apply for a permanent if available. meaning its not sure if they will give me a work for a week or not?

bornatbirth
15th November 2009, 01:11
you could be a fulltime relief...meaning you will always cover when your needed and only get payed when you work.

for relief work wouldnt you be better off working for a agency as care assistant.

fatedtoloveyou
15th November 2009, 01:15
you could be a fulltime relief...meaning you will always cover when your needed and only get payed when you work.

for relief work wouldnt you be better off working for a agency as care assistant.

im a student visa. I can't work full time. My concern is that I want to work more than 20 hours a week if permitted by my manager. is that possible?

bornatbirth
15th November 2009, 01:23
when i say fulltime..thats means you work 2 shifts of 8 hours a week,everyweek.

unlike relief work where you may only work twice a month.

are you permitted to work more than 20 hours on a student visa?,its best to find out before you apply for a job but as care work always need cover,im sure more shifts will come up.

joebloggs
15th November 2009, 01:24
im a student visa. I can't work full time. My concern is that I want to work more than 20 hours a week if permitted by my manager. is that possible?

you know you're not allowed to work more than 20 hrs :D, it's not up to your manager, it's the law :doh

fatedtoloveyou
15th November 2009, 01:27
when i say fulltime..thats means you work 2 shifts of 8 hours a week,everyweek.

unlike relief work where you may only work twice a month.

are you permitted to work more than 20 hours on a student visa?,its best to find out before you apply for a job but as care work always need cover,im sure more shifts will come up.

im allowed to work 27.5 hours a week my school told me that before. I can't live if my work is only twice a month?

joebloggs
15th November 2009, 01:38
im allowed to work 27.5 hours a week my school told me that before. I can't live if my work is only twice a month?

where do they get 27.5hrs from ? when everywhere i've seen it says 20 ?

fatedtoloveyou
15th November 2009, 01:41
where do they get 27.5hrs from ? when everywhere i've seen it says 20 ?

20 hours/wk plus 7.5/hrs work placement. I hope I can have a work weekly. not just twice a month.

Arthur Little
15th November 2009, 01:43
well they said that I can apply for a permanent if available. meaning its not sure if they will give me a work for a week or not?

On the face of it, it doesn't sound like a particularly reliable source of income. :NoNo: But there again, it's always a start ... "a foot in the door", as it were. And, since care homes tend to have a fairly regular staffing turnover :cwm12: ... due to annual and sick leave [as well as other exigencies likely to crop up from time to time] it presents the ideal opportunity for gaining invaluable on-the-job experience which, in turn, would stand you in good stead when applying for any vacancies that - by the laws of average - are almost certain to arise sooner or later.

It's your choice, though, mate!

fatedtoloveyou
15th November 2009, 01:47
On the face of it, it doesn't sound like a particularly reliable source of income. :NoNo: But there again, it's always a start ... "a foot in the door", as it were. And, since care homes tend to have a fairly regular staffing turnover :cwm12: ... due to annual and sick leave [as well as other exigencies likely to crop up from time to time] it presents the ideal opportunity for gaining invaluable on-the-job experience which, in turn, would stand you in good stead when applying for any vacancies that - by the laws of average - are almost certain to arise sooner or later.

It's your choice, though, mate!

well I have no choice. Its work and I need that right now. as long as im in that care home it doesn't matter for now but im a bit disappointed with that.

Arthur Little
15th November 2009, 01:59
Ah ... when responding to your initial post, I hadn't realised you were here on a student visa. :rolleyes: Hmm ... that COULD change things somewhat, in the light of subsequent replies you've received. However, I'm not sure ... and it might be best if I were to leave it to others more familiar with employment legislation.

darren-b
15th November 2009, 07:58
20 hours/wk plus 7.5/hrs work placement. I hope I can have a work weekly. not just twice a month.

I agree that even by the new rules (which you technically may not be bound by as you applied prior to the 31st March) if the 7.5 hours/week is assessed and is part of the course you are allowed to work up to an additional 20 hours/week during term time.

But as others have pointed out ad hoc is purely that, it could be 20 hours/week, but unless a minimum is specified in your contract it could be 0 hours/week if they don't need you.

cheesewiz
18th November 2009, 23:01
I can't live if my work is only twice a month?

that's why you came here as student bec you can provide for yourself while studying:Erm: student only working to have spare money. that's why we can't blame the govt tightening the rules on overseas students bec a lot of people abusing it.