PDA

View Full Version : Can Someone Please Settle An Argument

Arthur Little
24th December 2009, 19:43
Now that the snow appears to be with us [in the UK] for the duration, I feel it's high-time the "dust" is ALSO settled ... with regard to the apparently age-old controversy associated with the "myth" - or otherwise - surrounding the much-dreamed :NEW5:about (by Bing Crosby and his ilk, at any rate) 'White Christmas'.

It's long been MY belief that, if there is ... yes ... even just the slightest smattering of the ghastly stuff on the ground come December 25, then we HAVE what can, justifiably, be called a 'White Christmas'. Well, such a "phenomenon" doesn't occur too often ... not on British soil, at least :NoNo: ... but this year it HAS!

Then there's the other "school of thought" ... whose "students" are influenced by a sense of logic that differs to the extent whereby they're conditioned into reasoning that it's NOT a White Christmas :23_116_6[1]: - unless snow actually falls on the DAY itself!

So, folks, my question is simply THIS: To which "camp" do YOU belong?

IainBusby
24th December 2009, 19:49
I believe (though I'm not absolutely sure) that if you placed a bet on it, to win your bet it would have to snow on Christmas day. Not being a betting man myself, maybe the boss would be the man to say if I'm right or wrong.

adam&chryss
24th December 2009, 20:03
Well Arthur personally I always think its just a white christmas if it snows on the day but that only my opinion!
Here in my part of Suffolk most of the snow has gone anyway so it wont be white, just icy.

I like to see big snowflakes falling on christmas day turning everything white.
It looks beautiful.
But I cant remember the last time that happened where I am.

Tawi2
24th December 2009, 20:03
Argument Arthur?Fisticuffs,headbutting and hairpulling:Erm:Tis the season of peace and goodwill to all men:):ARsurrender:Snow has to fall on christmas day itself for the bookies to pay out :)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/1724707.stm

Tawi2
24th December 2009, 20:07
For it to be official, a flake of snow must be observed to fall at specific sites between midnight on 24 December and midnight on 25 December, even if it is mixed with rain and is not necessarily snow lying on the ground.

William Hill has cut the odds on snowfall in Glasgow from 11/4 to 6/4 and London and Manchester are now quoted at 11/4, with Cardiff the 7/2 outsider.

:santa:

Dedworth
24th December 2009, 21:05
I remember my Dad telling me that it qualified as a White Christmas if snow fell on the roof of the London Weather Centre. I'm not sure if such a building still exists, the Met Office was in Bracknell but it moved to Exeter a few years ago

bornatbirth
24th December 2009, 21:38
if theres snow at any time over xmas is great...makes it feel like a real xmas,after moving south at the age of 7 and now 39,i have never seen a white xmas down here :bigcry: snow is great when your a kid but now its a pain in the :butthead: to drive in :doh

Doc Alan
25th December 2009, 09:44
You've got your answer Arthur, so I'm just replying to wish you and yours a Merry Christmas!

KeithD
25th December 2009, 10:30
Can Someone Please Settle An Argument

The woman's always right! :Cuckoo:

September
25th December 2009, 10:32
The woman's always right! :Cuckoo:

Definitely :angry:

:D:D

johncar54
25th December 2009, 13:56
White Christmas!

The `problem' is I guess we (Brits) all think the song refers to the UK. As has been said above, the chances of a White Christmas in UK (when the ground is sufficiently covered in snow to be white) is seldom seen.

From some research, I read "The song's conjuring up of childhood memories and idyllic New England winters." Thus it appears Erving Berlin was thinking about those parts of the USA where they do usually have a white Christmas.

Any way, which ever it is, I hope you are having a great day, today

nigel
25th December 2009, 22:53
:Erm:

I just want to know who built that large pen:icon_tonguew:s with the snow in Reading...it was knocked down the next day, presumably by a local person who did not find it funny..:Erm:

"I'm dreaming of a white .... pen:icon_tonguew:s!"

:rolleyes:

Arthur Little
26th December 2009, 02:13
maybe the boss would be the man to say ...

... I'd BEEN gonna say, "Over to you, Keith" ... but, on the basis of the responses received, I very much doubt if any bookie would deign to take a chance on ME! :NoNo:

Arthur Little
26th December 2009, 02:26
... indeed, I'd be :REGamblMoney01HL1:

Arthur Little
26th December 2009, 02:31
"I'm dreaming of a white .... pen:icon_tonguew:s!"

:rolleyes:

... Dream on, Nigel! :lol2:

Arthur Little
27th December 2009, 10:22
Well, it DIDN'T snow [here in Perth] :NoNo: on Christmas Day ... but it's SURE made up for it since ...

... TYPICAL! :doh