PDA

View Full Version : Fiancee Visa Advice Needed

ap70
3rd January 2010, 13:15
Hello

I was hoping for some advice as I am bit confused as to the best way to proceed.

My name is Andrew and I live London, I am a British citizen. I am currenly 39. I met a Filipino girl, Marissa 3 years ago in Hong Kong, she is currently 33.

I was on my way to Australia and spending a couple of days in Hong Kong. Marissa was on a two week holiday from the Philippines.

We have a fabulous time in Hong Kong and stayed in touch. I visited Marissa in the Philippines in March 08, where we had a fabulous time and became a couple.

We then decided to apply for a tourist visa for Marissa to visit the UK, Marissa applied in December in 08, the application was refused because Marissa did not submit her supporting documents (which she had, she was advised by her aunt that she need to hand these over in an interview).

I then visited Marissa in February/ March 09 in the Philippines again we had a fabulous time and decided we did not want to be apart.

When i returned to the UK, I seeked legal advice. I was advised most probably the best way forward was to go for a Fiancee Visa. At this time i did not own my own property, i rented a house with friends in London.

So I decided if Marissa and I were to live together I needed my own porperty, so I have managed to buy a great flat in London. This to took quite a while to complete and getting a mortgage was very challening.

I moved into the flat in October, and I am now trying to sort my finances out so we can apply for the fiancee visa, I am looking for Marissa to apply in March.

On New Years Eve I met a guy who used to work for the British Embassay in New Zeland, he had not worked in the visa department, but PR. He advised me that we have less than 1% chance of getting a Fiancee Visa for Marissa he advised me not to go for it. He said that the Filippines is treated as a high risk area by British Immigration, and they would believe me, but it would be very hard for Marissa to convince them of her feelings and the relationship.

He advised the best way to go forward is for me to go and live with Marissa in the Philippines for a year, which is not really and option at the moment.

Please can somebody advise is the Fiancee visa virtually impossible to gain for Marissa? Or do we you think we have a good chance of success?

Thanks

Andrew

joebloggs
3rd January 2010, 14:42
On New Years Eve I met a guy who used to work for the British Embassay in New Zeland, he had not worked in the visa department, but PR. He advised me that we have less than 1% chance of getting a Fiancee Visa for Marissa he advised me not to go for it. He said that the Filippines is treated as a high risk area by British Immigration, and they would believe me, but it would be very hard for Marissa to convince them of her feelings and the relationship.

He advised the best way to go forward is for me to go and live with Marissa in the Philippines for a year, which is not really and option at the moment.

Please can somebody advise is the Fiancee visa virtually impossible to gain for Marissa? Or do we you think we have a good chance of success?

the guy talking out of his :butthead:

as long as you have somewhere to live without overcrowding, you have some savings and a job and you have evidence your relationship is genuine your chances are at least 90% of getting a fiancée visa,

hardly anyone on this forum is refused a fiancée or a spouse visa :doh

but i would go and see her again b4 you apply, if the last time you saw her was in march last year:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Bluebirdjones
3rd January 2010, 18:26
totally with JB..... the "Embassy" guy who spoke to you is an :xxgrinning-smiley-0

.... obviously that's why he works in the PR dept !

One more visit to the Philippines by you would be the icing on the cake, although
perhaps not even neccessary.

Make sure you are collecting all "evidence" ..... call records, recorded delivery
letters, and money transfers (if any).

As the relationship has been over a number of years, your chances of a successful
fiancee visa application are VERY VERY high.
(also in your favour, is her visit to HK .... she abided by the visa conditions)

ap70
3rd January 2010, 18:58
Thank you for your advice, that is good news.

I do have savings, but I am not sure I have enough to go to the Philippines and apply for the visa (I am planning to use a lawyer as well), as buying the flat has taken a lot of my disposable income away, but i still have enough to support the both of us comfortablly.

Ideally I would like to go the Phillipines in March and then Marissa can submit her application then.

She is geniuine, she owns and runs a clothes shop in Cavite and owns her own house which she has had for 10 years. Her business was not declared until a year ago, could that be an issue? Also she does not have a bank account. I have also met her aunt, cousin and younger sister.

She has been abroad before to Dubai, Indonesia and China as well as Hong Kong, where her sister lives.

Andrew

joebloggs
3rd January 2010, 20:04
Thank you for your advice, that is good news.

I do have savings, but I am not sure I have enough to go to the Philippines and apply for the visa (I am planning to use a lawyer as well), as buying the flat has taken a lot of my disposable income away, but i still have enough to support the both of us comfortablly.

Ideally I would like to go the Phillipines in March and then Marissa can submit her application then.

She is geniuine, she owns and runs a clothes shop in Cavite and owns her own house which she has had for 10 years. Her business was not declared until a year ago, could that be an issue? Also she does not have a bank account. I have also met her aunt, cousin and younger sister.

She has been abroad before to Dubai, Indonesia and China as well as Hong Kong, where her sister lives.

Andrew

you'll need 6 bank statements - non overdrawn and if you've got £3k+ of savings in it that will increase your chances of success, if you haven't got £3k+ then ask family and friends to loan you the money, or use a credit card and transfer £3k to your current account. BUT DO NOT SEND THE BANK STATEMENT SHOWING THE MONEY GOING IN YOUR ACCOUNT :NoNo:, so start collecting the 6 bank statements once the money is in your account and its not shown going in your account on your statement.

you don't need a lawyer, from what i can see yours is a pretty straight forward app like most on here, unless you've haven't told us something :rolleyes:

the problem is you will not have seen your g/f for 1yr and seeing her again should increase your chances further.

good your g/f has money sure include evidence of what ever money/saving & property your g/f has, but your the sponsor and it's up to you to prove you can support her with her not needing public funds.

the refused visit visa should not effect her visa app at all.

so start collecting evidence of your relationship, sort the savings side out, get 6 of your latest pay slips and bank statements, and with evidence you own your property and evidence it will not be overcrowded and you shouldn't have a problem

good luck :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Bluebirdjones
3rd January 2010, 20:10
Your visa application will be SUCCESSFUL....

The fact that she's been overseas on many occasions, abided by the visa requirements,
and not overstayed is almost a cast-iron guarantee !

Make sure you highlight these overseas trips on the application form,
if needbe even include a seperate sheet of A4 listing the visits.
(Also think about including any old passports that have the relevant visa stamps
in them)

I'd suggest not visting again, but include a covering letter about your house/flat purchase
taking priority .... ie somewhere more appropriate/acceptable for Marissa to live takes
precedent over a 2 week holiday.

And NO need to employ a lawyer/solicitor to do all this .... easily done by yourself.
Almost all of us here went that route successfully..... and we're always here
with any advice or thoughts on the application form.

joebloggs
3rd January 2010, 20:18
I'd suggest not visting again, but include a covering letter about your house/flat purchase
taking priority .... ie somewhere more appropriate/acceptable for Marissa to live takes
precedent over a 2 week holiday..

its a fiancée visa, not a spouse, if they were married then it should not be a problem, but 1yr is a long time not to have seen your g/f your intending to marry :Erm:

but if your evidence of your relationship is good you shouldn't have a problem as bluebirdjones has already said :xxgrinning--00xx3:

IainBusby
3rd January 2010, 21:01
the guy talking out of his :butthead:
I agree.

you have evidence your relationship is genuine

Strictly speaking you only have to prove that you have actually met in person and if this application was being made in Pakistan (arranged marriage) that would be perfectly acceptable. So if you have evidence that your relationship is somewhat more than this, then you should have no problem. Something that will help you is that they will have it on record that she had earlier applied for a visit visa in December 2008 (more than a year ago) which was supported by you, this will prove that your relationship has been ongoing for quite a long time now.

Iain.

ap70
3rd January 2010, 21:22
Thanks guys for your help. Really appreciated, I will keep you updated how I get on.
My main sounds loke it will be my savings, I currently have about £1k, it will take me about 4 months to get to 3k through my own means.

Andrew

somebody
3rd January 2010, 21:31
Thanks guys for your help. Really appreciated, I will keep you updated how I get on.
My main sounds loke it will be my savings, I currently have about £1k, it will take me about 4 months to get to 3k through my own means.

Andrew

Hi Andrew

Sounds like you have most of the boxes ticked you have met, you have a geniune relationship with loads of pictures together in different locations.

You have a place to live which the ECO if you show your in constant contact with your Mahal meant although you could not visit as much as you like phill you are doing all the right things:xxgrinning--00xx3: Many people in your situation with the recession..

In the time your saving dont forget to visit here and read as much as you can we are a lot cheaper than a lawyer but living examples than it can be done:xxgrinning--00xx3:

joebloggs
3rd January 2010, 21:34
I agree.

Strictly speaking you only have to prove that you have actually met in person and if this application was being made in Pakistan (arranged marriage) that would be perfectly acceptable.

that's :xxgrinning--00xx3:, but the more visits he does. the greater his chances of her getting a fiancée visa, and like i said 1yr is a long time without seeing g/f, who you intend to marry within 6 months :rolleyes:

I currently have about £1k, it will take me about 4 months to get to 3k through my own means.

Andrew

you can save £500 a month ? well if that's so, do a simple budget showing you're incomings and out going and showing you have £500 a month spare. ( thou maybe you could use your credit card or borrow from friends to help you try and keep as much money in your account as possible while you collect your bank statements. but don't over do it, like try and save 90% of your wage each month, the embassy would be suspicious :doh

in fact there is no minimum figure you need to support your fiancée, but a figure of about £100 a week after you've paid rent and community charge as an bear minimum. but the more you have the better :xxgrinning--00xx3:

ap70
3rd January 2010, 21:54
Unfortunatly, i can not save that amount, but i am going to sell 5 days of holiday back to the company. We also receive our bonus in February, which will help me along the way.

Arthur Little
3rd January 2010, 22:21
:welcomex:, Andrew. Nine months ago, I might have dismissed the notion of applying for a *tourist visa on the basis of the perceived low success rate. However, in more recent times, *such applications from a surprisng number of people on this forum were, in fact, approved. And, frankly, I would've thought Marissa stood a fair chance ... given her unblemished record for returning to the Phils after visiting other countries in the past.

Sadly, it was not to be. But, :iagree: with my co-forumers that the fiancee route is probably her best bet ... especially as you've since bought your own place, and appear to be well-settled in terms of providing accommodation for when she eventually DOES come across here.

I would suggest, therefore, that you start the ball rolling by following their advice as regards the separate requirements. Good Luck! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

ap70
9th January 2010, 00:03
Thank you all for your advice.

This is what i am planning now. I am going to visit Marissa in March/April for 2 and half weeks.

I am going to transfer 3k from an interest free credit card into my bank account.

We will then aim to appy for the Fiancee Visa in July/August, after having had 3k+ in my bank account fior 6 months +.

Do they check your credit rating? Can they tell if you are borrowing the 3K?
Is this a good route to take?

Thanks

Andrew