PDA

View Full Version : Sending money home

classygirl
8th January 2010, 16:16
Hello Everybody,

Happy New Year to all!!!!I need some advise pls,I would like to send some money home and wanted to ask some advise of what is the best way to do that.I am looking for a reliable,fast delivery and best rate way of doing this.Thanks again and wishing you all a nice weekend.Ciao...

maria_and_matt
8th January 2010, 16:25
we use pnb, if you relatives have an acct with pnb its minutes. www.pnbeurope.com

Bluebirdjones
8th January 2010, 16:27
you live in the London region....

PNB is the best option, for transfer fee & delivery time.

You just need to pop in once & set up the account .... then it's all
eeezy-peezy lemon sqeezy on the 'phone

:xxgrinning--00xx3:

lizaphil
8th January 2010, 20:27

yup,i used PNB online its good :xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

estherboaz
8th January 2010, 23:40
i am using BPI.the online transaction is fast and efficient.i opened BPI Star account and transfer money via bpi expressonline.the transfer fee is 5 pounds for 200-50,000 pounds

johncar54
9th January 2010, 09:33
Open an account with Nationwide Building Society and get a CASH CARD.

Send the card to a relative in Phil, call them and give them the PIN.

If they go to an ATM with the VISA symbol they will be able to draw,. No charges to you or in Phil and the very best excavation rates (a fraction less than the inter-bank rate)

I have an on line facility. When I want to send money, I transfer the amount to the 'Phil' account (I have three accounts). We call Phil and immediately they can draw the money.

I don't think anyone can beat that, but if you can let us all know.

joebloggs
9th January 2010, 15:01

If they go to an ATM with the VISA symbol they will be able to draw,. No charges to you or in Phil and the very best excavation rates (a fraction less than the inter-bank rate)

I have an on line facility. When I want to send money, I transfer the amount to the 'Phil' account (I have three accounts). We call Phil and immediately they can draw the money.

that depends on if your wife/gf has a visa yet:Erm:,

good thing about PNB is they send you a statement showing you've sent money to your wife/gf in the phils which can be used as good evidence your in a 'genuine relationship' :xxgrinning--00xx3:

darren-b
9th January 2010, 15:10
that depends on if your wife/gf has a visa yet:Erm:,

good thing about PNB is they send you a statement showing you've sent money to your wife/gf in the phils which can be used as good evidence your in a 'genuine relationship' :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Doesn't make any difference as your statements will show which ATM the money was withdrawn from.

One reason why we don't do it this way is that Nationwide won't let me open a cash card account anyway. Though I am also surprised to see an ex-policeman recommend sending an ATM card in your name through the post to the Philippines to be used by someone else.

bornatbirth
9th January 2010, 15:16
Doesn't make any difference as your statements will show which ATM the money was withdrawn from.

One reason why we don't do it this way is that Nationwide won't let me open a cash card account anyway. Though I am also surprised to see an ex-policeman recommend sending an ATM card in your name through the post to the Philippines to be used by someone else.

:Erm: that why he's an ex policeman :icon_lol:

can't see what his former job as got to with making life easier for himself and his wifes family.

joebloggs
9th January 2010, 15:28

:Erm:

a statement addressed to you, showing someone has used a card in the phils :NoNo:

you cannot compare that to a statement showing my name and address, the name and the address of the person in the phils you sent the money to :doh

i've used PNB statements for all my visa apps and not one problem :rolleyes:
thou other remits statements might be just as good :D

johncar54
9th January 2010, 15:42
Not sure what the comments, about me (ex police officer) sending a card to Phil, mean.

I did say it was a CASH CARD so it can only be used to draw cash from an account which is in credit, and I also said I have an account which I use exclusively for that purpose.

Thus, I transfer the sum I want to send and only that sum is available for withdrawal.

Also, one does not need to have a Visa (credit) account, just a CASH CARD, as it is not possible to use it for any transaction other than drawing cash from the designated account.

If I have missed something please tell me.

Thanks,
John

PS. Classygirl, was talking about sending money home so I guess she will not need to prove to anyone what she sent and to whom.

joebloggs
9th January 2010, 16:05
I did say it was a CASH CARD so it can only be used to draw cash from an account which is in credit, and I also said I have an account which I use exclusively for that purpose.

i thought of using a cash card, but what if they lost the card or the card wouldn't work any more, i would have to get and wait for a replacement card, then send it to the phils..that would probably never happen, but

also i take it, i would need to change my current account to Nat West one, if i wanted to transfer money instantly from one nat west account to the Nat West Cash Card account, if not then it could take 3 or so working days for the money to clear from a non Nat west account to the Nat West Cash card account, while using PNB the money is in the account in the phils next day if i phone using a debit card.

johncar54
9th January 2010, 16:14
i thought of using a cash card, but what if they lost the card or the card wouldn't work any more, i would have to get and wait for a replacement card, then send it to the phils..that would probably never happen, but

also i take it, i would need to change my current account to Nat West one, if i wanted to transfer money instantly from one nat west account to the Nat West Cash Card account, if not then it could take 3 or so working days for the money to clear from a non Nat west account to the Nat West Cash card account, while using PNB the money is in the account in the phils next day if i phone using a debit card.

Joe. I was talking about Nationwide not Nat West. I don't think they give their customers the good deal which one gets with Nationwide. As I said the exchange rate is the best one could hope to get, no charge at all and instantly available cash in Phil.

Of course if a card got lost then one would need to get it replaced. If one lives in UK that would be easier than for me in Spain.

I have used the CASH CARD system for over 3 years, once had to send the the new card out.

Before I met my wife, I had a Thai gf. I gave her a CASH CARD which she too used for about a year without any problems.

I have never had any problems.

joebloggs
9th January 2010, 16:21
Joe. I was talking about Nationwide not Nat West. I don't think they give their customers the good deal which one gets with Nationwide. As I said the exchange rate is the best one could hope to get, no charge at all and instantly available cash in Phil.

Of course if a card got lost then one would need to get it replaced. If one lives in UK that would be easier than for me in Spain.

I have used the CASH CARD system for over 3 years, once had to send the the new card out.

Before I met ,my wife, I had a Thai gf. I gave her a CASH CARD which she too used for a bout a year without any problems.

:yikes::doh:icon_lol:
sorry thats what i mean't , little joe is giving me a hard time .. :cwm24:

what i posted its still true, i would need to change my current account to a nationwide one, or you will have to wait 3 or so days for the money to transfer from your current account to your Cash card account if your current account is not a nationwide one?

johncar54
9th January 2010, 16:27
:yikes::doh:icon_lol:
sorry thats what i mean't , little joe is giving me a hard time .. :cwm24:

what i posted its still true, i would need to change my current account to a nationwide one, or you will have to wait 3 or so days for the money to transfer from your current account to your Cash card account if your current account is not a nationwide one?

I guess so, but if urgent you could pay money into the account, I would think.

I changed my account from Midland Bank as it was at the time to Nationwide, maybe 25 years ago. Best thing I ever did. Just wish the Spanish bank gave the high quality of service Nationwide do and for free !

classygirl
9th January 2010, 16:58

Thanks alot!I live in Britol but maybe when I go to London I could open an account.Could I do that online once I have an account with them?Have a great weekend!

classygirl
9th January 2010, 17:00
i am using BPI.the online transaction is fast and efficient.i opened BPI Star account and transfer money via bpi expressonline.the transfer fee is 5 pounds for 200-50,000 pounds

Thanks alot, by the way did you open the BPI Star account here or back home?Cheers,enjoy your weekend.

classygirl
9th January 2010, 17:04

Thank you very much,I'll go and check about this one.Have a nice weekend!!!

IainBusby
9th January 2010, 17:15
Thanks alot!I live in Britol but maybe when I go to London I could open an account.Could I do that online once I have an account with them?Have a great weekend!

If your going to go to London, it would probably be best to try and set up the online remittance account at PNB while your there because they want some proof of ID (usually a good quality scan of your passport) which has been verified by a professional person, so if you took your passport there with you they could probably be able to authorise the account without doing that. BTW, their regular account requires a minimum £50 balance but you don't have to have a bank account with them to set up an online remittance account.

You could just fill in the online form https://clarahost.clara.net/www.pnbeurope.com/ssl/onlinereg/onlineregistration.htm and then they will get in touch and ask you to send proof of ID which has been verified.

Iain.

johncar54
9th January 2010, 17:18

That's not bad, unless you compare it with Nationwide, which is free and you also need to aware of the exchange rate which you are getting. That is the way banks and other money changers fool people.

Do your sums. Check the interbank rate for the day and work out how much in Pesos that is for amount you want to send. Then see what you get in Pesos after you have paid the fee and got a lower exchange rate. It can be a surprise.

maria_and_matt
9th January 2010, 17:33
i still think nothing can beat PNB their rates are good, if the recipients PNB acct is ATM it is literally within minutes.

estherboaz
9th January 2010, 19:34
Thanks alot, by the way did you open the BPI Star account here or back home?Cheers,enjoy your weekend.

i opened the BPI star account in London

estherboaz
9th January 2010, 19:35
That's not bad, unless you compare it with Nationwide, which is free and you also need to aware of the exchange rate which you are getting. That is the way banks and other money changers fool people.

Do your sums. Check the interbank rate for the day and work out how much in Pesos that is for amount you want to send. Then see what you get in Pesos after you have paid the fee and got a lower exchange rate. It can be a surprise.

thanks for your suggestion but im already happy with BPI

classygirl
10th January 2010, 18:15
Thank you very much to all who shared their advises with me.I really appreciate it.Cheers and take care!!!:BouncyHappy:

johncar54
1st April 2010, 07:39
Re my advice to use Nationwide Cash CArd.

They have now announced that in June they will abolish the Cash Card.

Please see:-

http://filipinaroses.com/showpost.php?p=213971&postcount=1

And then please write to Nationwide's CEO (address in the post).

Even if you are not affected, many of us are and most of us here are here to help others and that is what we do best. An email will do just that.