PDA

View Full Version : I am annoyed.

Alan
10th January 2010, 12:38
Hanna and I went to Park Mall Cebu this afternoon. We were in the brand new department store and we met one of Hanna's classmates from her college in Dumaguete - a girl who had also qualified as a Care Giver.

She is working as a cashier in the store and - although the minimum salary in Cebu is P267 a day, she is being paid P180 for an 8 hour day!!!!!!!!
This is preposterous!!!!!!!!! I cannot believe it - I am so annoyed!!!!!!!

Al.:cwm23:

Sim11UK
10th January 2010, 12:50
I was told, that many young people only earn 75-80 php a day??
This is on Mindanao, I can't verify it, but it's appalling. :NoNo:

lenboy
10th January 2010, 13:05
Hanna and I went to Park Mall Cebu this afternoon. We were in the brand new department store and we met one of Hanna's classmates from her college in Dumaguete - a girl who had also qualified as a Care Giver.

She is working as a cashier in the store and - although the minimum salary in Cebu is P267 a day, she is being paid P180 for an 8 hour day!!!!!!!!

Yes i totally agree in what you are saying !! and also they seem to treat there own kind with contempt and very little respect for the employees !!

And like you my partner is also from Cebu area !!

regards Len

fred
10th January 2010, 13:27
The annoying part is that they are only offered 6 month contracts so that the company can avoid the law requiring full time perks.. This is standard practice in malls like Robinsons and SM..
The rich get rich..

Arthur Little
10th January 2010, 17:42
:iagree: ... WHOLEHEARTEDLY ... with the views of each and every one of the contributors to Al's thread! It's a downright disgrace, the way these employees are being treated by the businesses they work for.

aromulus
10th January 2010, 19:21
Unfortunately, for many of them, it is matter of either taking that, or nothing......:doh
And being annoyed or appalled on their behalf, doesn't pay for anything at all....:NoNo:

With such a huge pool of cheap manpower at disposal, the employers have no fears of any industrial actions what so ever, and thus pay the workers what they want to pay..... Zilch.:omg:

Things will have to be changed slowly from government level to guarantee decent employment conditions for a better way of life, for the working population.

KeithD
10th January 2010, 19:40
You have to realise that we still have plenty of people in this country paid about £20 for a hard days work.

Sim11UK
10th January 2010, 19:48
You have to realise that we still have plenty of people in this country paid about £20 for a hard days work.

That's very true, infact I can pretty much tell you, I know of people being paid less than that.

pocahontas
11th January 2010, 13:26
life is not really easy its all about dealing of obstacles though we know what we should do to keep us going is to think positive whish is normally not easy to do.. but thats life.

pennybarry
11th January 2010, 19:59
That is below the basic wage and that is illegal. http://www.nwpc.dole.gov.ph/pages/ncr/cmwr_table.html

But if they will tolerate their employers to do that, they will continue their wrongdoing.

In the province that hard to get jobs, employers used to take advantage with workers. :NoNo:

If part timers student OJT's (On the Job Training)
You are allowed to pay allowances or can pay below minimum wage.

dave63
11th January 2010, 20:50

My wife works as a chemical engineer in Cebu. what she earns a month is about the same as a shop assistant earns here a WEEK!!

Doc Alan
11th January 2010, 21:08
It's difficult to make comparisons because of course the cost of living is less in the Philippines, here in UK the national minumum wage being £5.80 (say 435 pesos)/hour for age 22 and over ; £4.83 (say 360 pesos)/hour for ages 18-21; and £3.57 (say 270 pesos)/hour for age under 18. I understand that it's a fact of life in Philippines that "cam modelling" may be the only work available for 18-30 year old girls who earn from nothing (if there are no "online" clients) to 2000 pesos for eight hours' work. This is not what the majority of them chose to do; it may help them pay for studies and support their families.

triple5
11th January 2010, 21:39

Illegal immigrants :Erm: Surely Brits know they can earn more on benefits :icon_lol:

lavander
12th January 2010, 00:34
Things will have to be changed slowly from government level to guarantee decent employment conditions for a better way of life, for the working population

Sir,

I hate to admit but I don't think this will happen with the kind of people we have in our government at the moment...

The only hope i can see is that the new generation will bring things to its proper perspective moreso on welfare of its people and the country...
Perhaps 20yrs from now.. :D

...well every country has its own dillema i guess :)

fred
12th January 2010, 03:27
It's difficult to make comparisons because of course the cost of living is less in the Philippine

That of course is true but inflation here has a mind of its own!!
2 years ago a kilo of onions was around 50php a kilo..Now here in Bohol they are 110.00php..I picked up a medium sized potato yesterday and then quickly dropped it when I saw the 55 Peso price tag..You can see why the sari sari stores open up garlic bulbs and hang up individual cloves in tiny plastic bags just so they are more affordable to those on 80PHP A DAY in Panglao nature resort!!

joebloggs
12th January 2010, 09:22
My wife works as a chemical engineer in Cebu. what she earns a month is about the same as a shop assistant earns here a WEEK!!

that's probably the same amount as a resident doc earns in the phils after 9yrs at uni :cwm24: