PDA

View Full Version : Parisian Honeymoon Booked At Last

Arthur Little
10th January 2010, 19:16
Folks ... as many of you will already know, Myrna obtained a Multiple Entry Schengen Visa in November. And, finally, after literally months of "dithering about" :rolleyes: [on MY part] she and I visited a local travel agency last Thursday afternoon. Consequently, I am delighted :BouncyHappy: to "formally" announce that we have arranged to visit the European 'Capital of Love' by Eurostar ... meaning she'll experience at first hand (something which a surprising number of BRITONS HAVEN'T!) the dubious "excitement" offered by a rail journey 'neath the waters of the English Channel ... via the 'Chunnel'.

Of course, en route, we shall first have to travel to *London. But that "small diversion" is, in itself, something else for Myrna to look forward to, since she'll be able to take in at least some of the premier sights for which *this city is famous.

With all that in mind, we plan to leave home on Wednesday March 3rd, fix-up overnight accommodation, and spend the following day sightseeing - courtesy of London Underground 'Rover Tickets' (or similar) - prior to embarking on our MAIN trip ... from St Pancras ... on the 5th.

So ... cameras at the ready (hopefully the snow will have disappeared by then!) ... we intend to make the most of this very special occasion before returning to [a milder] Perth on the 9th.

Dedworth
10th January 2010, 19:20
Hope it all goes according to plan and you both have a great time - weather and wrong type of snow permitting :)

Doc Alan
10th January 2010, 19:40
Arthur and Myrna, that's such good news ! So now I know why you were on the coach when those drunken yobs were causing problems !
It's freezing in Paris right now. In March you can expect average temperatures between 12 degrees maximum and 4 degrees minimum, the highest ever recorded being 23 degrees and lowest minus 10 degrees. Expect 5 hours' sun a day but there are 8 days' rain in the month.
Do try to learn a little French ( I can sell you a phrasebook!!). I was lucky when I visited recently, as my daughter has a degree in French and was working there ; she was my interpreter!
Enjoy !

liane
11th January 2010, 08:44
This is a lovely news :love2:
Hope you'll have a great time together and don't forget to share some pictures :xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

bornatbirth
11th January 2010, 12:14
have a nice time arthur, im sure the weather will be fine! :D

South-east boy
11th January 2010, 15:38
Sounds an exciting trip Arthur. What are u planning to see in London? I went on the Eurostar several years back but only from Ashford to Lille. Hope you have a great time!

justchecking
11th January 2010, 22:24
Have a wonderful trip - hope London's not too cold for the open top bus!

Sophie
11th January 2010, 22:48
Have a safe trip arthur and myrna and enjoy your parisian honeymoon and trip to london :)

mickcant
11th January 2010, 23:32
Hello Arthur,:xxgrinning--00xx3:
I do hope you and Myrna Enjoy your honeymoon in Paris, if you get a chance enjoy the view from the top of the Eiffel tower.
All the very best,
Mick.:cwm12:

lavander
12th January 2010, 00:15
Enjoy and dont forget to bring spare battery and SD card for your cam.. :)

hmmmm Eiffel tower, my dream destination... :D

Arthur Little
12th January 2010, 00:32
hmmmm Eiffel tower, my dream destination... :D

... Myrna's too, funnily enough :) ... and :Erm: ... I've a feeling that THAT renowned edifice will be our first "port" of call! :icon_lol:

Arthur Little
12th January 2010, 00:49
Hello Arthur,:xxgrinning--00xx3:
I do hope you and Myrna Enjoy your honeymoon in Paris, if you get a chance enjoy the view from the top of the Eiffel tower.
All the very best,
Mick.:cwm12:

:68711_thanx:, Mick ... as I've just said in reply to Lavander's mention of the Eiffel Tower being her "dream destination", it's Myrna's also. So you can bet it'll be top of our list! :xxgrinning--00xx3: All the very best to you too, mate.

Arthur Little
12th January 2010, 00:53
Have a safe trip arthur and myrna and enjoy your parisian honeymoon and trip to london :)

:68711_thanx:, Sophie ... you're always so kind ... I'm sure we shall!

Arthur Little
12th January 2010, 01:16
Sounds an exciting trip Arthur. What are u planning to see in London? I went on the Eurostar several years back but only from Ashford to Lille. Hope you have a great time!

:68711_thanx:, Tim. Tell me, in YOUR experience, is Eurostar as good as it's "cracked-up" to be ... ??? :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah:

As for London ... well, the usual haunts, e.g., Buckingham Palace, the Houses of Parliament & Downing Street, Westminster Abbey & St Paul's Cathedral, Madame Tussauds, The Tower and, perhaps even the London Eye - weather and time permitting.

Arthur Little
12th January 2010, 01:31
Have a wonderful trip - hope London's not too cold for the open top bus!

:68711_thanx: Open-top bus ... now, there's a good :idea: ... IF, as you say, it's not too cold in early March!

Arthur Little
12th January 2010, 01:38
have a nice time arthur, im sure the *weather will be fine! :D

*Hopefully, mate ... :68711_thanx:!

Arthur Little
12th January 2010, 01:42
This is a lovely news :love2:
Hope you'll have a great time together and don't forget to share some pictures :xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

:68711_thanx:, Liane ... we'll certainly try to share some photos, :Erm: ... once I've figured out how to upload them onto the site!

jam07
12th January 2010, 01:59
wow! lovely vacation there for you and Myrna. Have a great time! Ingat po kayo! :)

Arthur Little
12th January 2010, 02:14
Arthur and Myrna, that's such good news ! So now I know why you were on the coach when those drunken yobs were causing problems !
It's freezing in Paris right now. In March you can expect average temperatures between 12 degrees maximum and 4 degrees minimum, the highest ever recorded being 23 degrees and lowest minus 10 degrees. Expect 5 hours' sun a day but there are 8 days' rain in the month.
Do try to learn a little French ( I can sell you a phrasebook!!). I was lucky when I visited recently, as my daughter has a degree in French and was working there ; she was my interpreter!
Enjoy !

Alan ... :68711_thanx:! Whilst I can (just about) manage to translate a limited amount of [written] French ... committed to memory from about half a century back ... it's the speed of the spoken language that flummoxes ME! So I guess it's a case of consulting my OWN daughter - who's a BSc in Speech & Language Pathology - and hence, needed French as one of her Highers prior to embarking on her degree course some 22 years ago. Also let's just hope (for Myrna's sake, at least) the "average" early Spring temperatures you mention for Paris prevail this coming March!

Arthur Little
12th January 2010, 02:25
Hope it all goes according to plan and you both have a great time - weather and wrong type of snow permitting :)

:68711_thanx: ... Hope so too, mate! Although I'm "steeped" in BB traditions, I shall ensure we follow the Boy Scouts' motto ... "Be Prepared" on THIS particular occasion! :36_1_26[1]:

Arthur Little
12th January 2010, 02:30
Have a great time! Ingat po kayo! :)

We certainly intend to, Jam ... :68711_thanx:

Arthur Little
12th January 2010, 02:37
Enjoy and dont forget to bring spare battery and SD card for your cam.. :)

We'll certainly do our best ... on ALL counts ... :68711_thanx:, Lavander.

kimmi
12th January 2010, 12:45
Have a safe trip Arthur and Myrna..and of course enjoy and have a good time..:)

Arthur Little
12th January 2010, 12:53
Have a safe trip Arthur and Myrna..and of course enjoy and have a good time..:)

Very kind of you, Kimmi ... :68711_thanx:

Sim11UK
12th January 2010, 21:00
I haven't been to Paris, for twenty odd years, but I remember it being really easy to get about, on the Metro.

Montmatre is a nice area to visit, where all the artists hang out. :)

Arthur Little
12th January 2010, 22:22
I haven't been to Paris, for twenty odd years, but I remember it being really easy to get about, on the Metro.

Montmatre is a nice area to visit, where all the artists hang out. :)

I've only ever been once before myself, Simon ... for 2/3 days during August, 1997 ... less than a fortnight before Diana, Princess of Wales' fatal car accident, in fact. I [think] I might even have SEEN the spot where it subsequently happened ... a "creepy" thought, really! :cwm24:

We shall certainly be taking full advantage of the Metro for getting around and, hopefully, visit Montmatre, as you mention.

scottishbride
13th January 2010, 13:50
Wow! Sounds great! For sure you will both enjoy. I love Paris! It's a city of LOVE... Have a safe journey Kuya Arthur and Ate Myrna.

Arthur Little
13th January 2010, 14:42
Wow! Sounds great! For sure you will both enjoy. I love Paris! It's a city of LOVE... Have a safe journey Kuya Arthur and Ate Myrna.

:68711_thanx:, Melissa. Myrna & I really enjoyed chatting to you on the phone the other evening ... and we hope you'll have a great day out with Ann & Tin when you all meet up.

Arthur Little
23rd February 2010, 23:51
Time flies ... but my good lady & I won't be going anywhere NEAR an airport when we set off next Wenesday morning on the first 'leg' of our long-promised trip to the French Capital. :NoNo: Nor WILL we at ANY stage of the journey, since we're travelling straight to and from the :cwm38: of Paris ... courtesy of Eurostar!

Question IS - how much [spending] money should we take? :rolleyes: I mean ... to make the most of our 3 FULL days' sightseeing ... using the Metro to get around the City's best-known tourist areas - and allowing for main meals. And obviously we're looking at economical ways of doing all this - without stinting ourselves unnecessarily - and discounting the cost of expensive take-home souvenirs. But I DO need to have some :idea: of how much cash to have my bank convert into Euros before I go.

Any suggestions, anyone?

darren-b
24th February 2010, 00:19
Time flies ... but my good lady & I won't be going anywhere NEAR an airport when we set off next Wenesday morning on the first 'leg' of our long-promised trip to the French Capital. :NoNo: Nor WILL we at ANY stage of the journey, since we're travelling straight to and from the :cwm38: of Paris ... courtesy of Eurostar!

Question IS - how much [spending] money should we take? :rolleyes: I mean ... to make the most of our 3 FULL days' sightseeing ... using the Metro to get around the City's best-known tourist areas - and allowing for main meals. And obviously we're looking at economical ways of doing all this - without stinting ourselves unnecessarily - and discounting the cost of expensive take-home souvenirs. But I DO need to have some :idea: of how much cash to have my bank convert into Euros before I go.

Any suggestions, anyone?

You might want to have a look at how much your bank charges for withdrawals abroad, it can be much cheaper than converting money in advance and saves trying to work out how much to convert.

Arthur Little
24th February 2010, 00:41
You might want to have a look at how much your bank charges for withdrawals abroad, it can be much cheaper than converting money in advance and saves trying to work out how much to convert.

Certainly worth looking into ... if my debit card worked okay using the Metrobank ATMs in Mindanao, you'd think it should DEFINITELY be alright in the likes of a City the size of Paris ... thanks, Darren. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Doc Alan
24th February 2010, 00:58
Just to wish you both a good trip :xxgrinning--00xx3: In an earlier post I warned you about the low temperatures to expect ...but maybe after this long winter you might get lucky!:xxgrinning--00xx3:
Very hard to advise about budgeting - the "Cafe Culture" comes at a price! - but worth buying coffees just to sit (outside but shielded from the wind) and watch the fashions ! So many Parisians look like artists, writers, philosophers and composers! Alcoholic drinks, especially cocktails, are very expensive, but they may not interest you. The Eiffel Tower obviously will, and if you're tempted for a romantic meal at "Le Jules Verne" on the second floor, it will cost up to 160 euros for both of you :omg: There's a much cheaper cafe on a higher floor.
Enjoy the Parisian ambience !:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Arthur Little
24th February 2010, 01:45
Just to wish you both a good trip :xxgrinning--00xx3: In an earlier post I warned you about the low temperatures to expect ...but maybe after this long winter you might get lucky!:xxgrinning--00xx3:
Very hard to advise about budgeting - the "Cafe Culture" comes at a price! - but worth buying coffees just to sit (outside but shielded from the wind) and watch the fashions ! So many Parisians look like artists, writers, philosophers and composers! Alcoholic drinks, especially cocktails, are very expensive, but they may not interest you. The Eiffel Tower obviously will, and if you're tempted for a romantic meal at "Le Jules Verne" on the second floor, it will cost up to 160 euros for both of you :omg: There's a much cheaper cafe on a higher floor.
Enjoy the Parisian ambience !:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Many thanks, Alan. A friend of ours had been suggesting that any couple on a moderate [if not exactly 'shoestring'] budget would be wise to give the "Cafe Culture" on the *Champs Elysees (*if I remember correctly) a miss for dining ... although it's worth taking a stroll in its environs - if only to watch the "fashionable set" :beatnik2::beatnik2: indulging themselves!! Certainly, the Eiffel Tower is a MUST ... "top" of our list (to use a pun)! Who knows? ... perhaps even a cruise on the Seine [weather permitting] a visit to Notre Dame & Sacre Coeur ... and, if the time factor allows, maybe a trip out to the Palace of Versailles, which our friend highly recommended.

Notwithstanding, I've availed myself of a handy pocket guide ... and we fully intend to soak up the ambience as far as is practicable in every sense. Le Jules Verne? Well, we'll see ...

Arthur Little
24th February 2010, 11:32
Oh nooooooooooo ... SNOW .... that's ALL we bloody need!! :doh

Doc Alan
5th March 2010, 18:29
Here's hoping Arthur and Myrna's honeymoon is wonderful :xxgrinning--00xx3:
There's going to be a lot of threads to catch up on when they return on 9th March (including my birthday !) :omg:

liane
6th March 2010, 03:54
We're sure to hear wonderful stories from their trip to Paris when they get back:xxgrinning--00xx3:

pennybarry
6th March 2010, 14:50
Wow Arth! Have a nice trip and enjoy romantic capital city of France.
I am very sure that Myrna will enjoy as I did enjoy when I was there.
We went there by a smart car from Kerkrade Holland and we passed Belgium and it took about 6 hours drive. That was a fantastic trip of mine so it's your turn!

aposhark
6th March 2010, 18:42
Hi Arthur,

For some reason I missed this thread and realise that you are now on your honeymoon.

I hope you are having a wonderful, romantic time there.

The Parisians can be a little testing (even for the French who are not from there) but I am sure you are enjoying the ambience and the company of your Mahal :)

All the best........... :smileybigtmouth:

Bon voyage et bon chance :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

keithAngel
6th March 2010, 19:26
Are snails a sort of French Balot:Erm:

Arthur Little
13th March 2010, 12:51
Well thankyou, folks, for your interesting and informative contributions to this thread. Myrna & I have since returned from what turned out to be a marvellous experience for us both. Sure, the temperatures were somewhat lower than we'd have ideally liked ... but, based on the helpful advice we'd been given on the forum, we came well-equipped for this eventuality :36_1_26[1]: - in the shape of a large suitcase crammed full of warm clothes, with a smaller version for carrying various other essentials, plus miscellaneous odds and ends.

So what DID we get up to then? ... bearing in mind that our trip was by way of the [somewhat belated] honeymoon we'd long promised ourselves! :cwm24: OK, well ... leaving aside the :censored: bits ... given that neither one of us is exactly in the "first flush of youth" ... our short sojourn to the 'Romantic Capital of Europe' consisted mainly of sightseeing - comprising (as you'd EXPECT!) such notable landmarks as the Eiffel Tower, L'Arc de Triomphe, Notre Dame Cathedral, Sacre Coeur &c. And a highlight was meeting-up with a long-standing friend of mine - who'd travelled from Brussels (where he's currently employed as a translator with the European Parliament) to spend Monday afternoon with us!

Having had a taste of the lifestyle in continental Europe, Myrna is keen to sample Rome. But if prices in the 'Eternal City' happen to match those of its French counterpart, I'd hazard a guess that we're just as likely to find ourselves "roamin' the streets" ...

Doc Alan
13th March 2010, 14:27
So it's au revoir Paris and maybe ciao Roma :)
When you're "roamin' " the streets of Perth or Auld Reekie (Edinburgh) the weather may be dreich (wet) but at least you can understand the locals:xxgrinning--00xx3:

keithAngel
13th March 2010, 16:30
Well thankyou, folks, for your interesting and informative contributions to this thread. Myrna & I have since returned from what turned out to be a marvellous experience for us both. Sure, the temperatures were somewhat lower than we'd have ideally liked ... but, based on the helpful advice we'd been given on the forum, we came well-equipped for this eventuality :36_1_26[1]: - in the shape of a large suitcase crammed full of warm clothes, with a smaller version for carrying various other essentials, plus miscellaneous odds and ends.

So what DID we get up to then? ... bearing in mind that our trip was by way of the [somewhat belated] honeymoon we'd long promised ourselves! :cwm24: OK, well ... leaving aside the :censored: bits ... given that neither one of us is exactly in the "first flush of youth" ... our short sojourn to the 'Romantic Capital of Europe' consisted mainly of sightseeing - comprising (as you'd EXPECT!) such notable landmarks as the Eiffel Tower, L'Arc de Triomphe, Notre Dame Cathedral, Sacre Coeur &c. And a highlight was meeting-up with a long-standing friend of mine - who'd travelled from Brussels (where he's currently employed as a translator with the European Parliament) to spend Monday afternoon with us!

Having had a taste of the lifestyle in continental Europe, Myrna is keen to sample Rome. But if prices in the 'Eternal City' happen to match those of its French counterpart, I'd hazard a guess that we're just as likely to find ourselves "roamin' the streets" ...

Romes easy Arthur every other person you meet is a cousin of Doms:icon_lol:

aromulus
13th March 2010, 17:12
Having had a taste of the lifestyle in continental Europe, Myrna is keen to sample Rome. But if prices in the 'Eternal City' happen to match those of its French counterpart, " ...

I have visited Paris on a few occasions, and done the touristy thingy, and still have to find out what is so special about it for so many people....:Erm:
As an Italian, I think that the place is terribly overrated and full of arrogant people, which would spray deodorant under their armpits rather than wash them regularly. And that is just the women.....:doh

You won't find many Italians vacationing in France....:rolleyes:

Romes easy Arthur every other person you meet is a cousin of Doms:icon_lol:

It used to be so.....:rolleyes:

But now...:cwm24:

Rome, and indeed the whole of Italy, for the past few years have been spoiled by a large influx of eastern european immigrants, even more that we have here in the UK.
Not forgetting the thousands that manage to come across in boats from northern Africa....:doh

To redress the situation, our esteemed leaders have started forced repatriations, which is working out as a vote winner for Berlusconi....:icon_lol:

Dedworth
13th March 2010, 18:27

There are some good deals to be had with the Luftwaffe they are doing Rome plus a lot of other European cities for £129 return inc everything

http://www.lufthansa.com/online/portal/lh/uk/specials/booking?l=en&specialid=9404&nodeid=2759635

Book by 14 March