PDA

View Full Version : Any change/s in you?

bless.books
15th January 2010, 02:33
Hello everyone! I have this question for all you ...

If youre a British I mean native, has there been any change/s in you since coming to/living in the Philippines and same question I throw to the Filipnos/Naturalised/Dual has there been any change/s since coming to/living in the UK?

In what aspect of your life - personally, professionally, physically perhaps emotionally or spiritually even? Has your perpective/outlook in life changed? Have you become more artistic? workaholic?

Thanks for sharing ...

bless.books
25th January 2010, 03:00
Hello everyone! I have this question for all you ... If youre a British I mean native, has there been any change/s in you since coming to/living in the Philippines and same question I throw to the Filipnos/Naturalised/Dual has there been any change/s since coming to/living in the UK? In what aspect of your life - personally, professionally, physically perhaps emotionally or spiritually even? Has your perpective/outlook in life changed? Have you become more artistic? Workaholic? Thanks for sharing ...

Change happen all the time, everytime ... nobody wants to admit it?:D:NoNo: Perhaps it's a touchy subject, well it is perfectly fine if you are reluctant to share or maybe I just hit you bullseye. This topic is not refereed to anyone specific. I just realise how things really changed when you've been other parts of the world.

You change ...
your attitude
your taste
your style
yourself ...

prettycai
25th January 2010, 03:07
this is an interesting topic. too bad i have nothing to share yet as i haven't been to UK :)

filipina_owl
25th January 2010, 08:03
I agree with bless books. People change in some ways but just too shy to admit it...But as of me, i cant tell if i've already change since i just came to uk. :D

Steve.r
25th January 2010, 14:31
Yes, I have changed since I have come back from Phil. I am now in a state of depression. I left my girl and a wonderful country behind me. Depression ends when I touch down in Phil again. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

pennybarry
25th January 2010, 17:00
Physically, I changed nothing.:xxgrinning--00xx3::Rasp:
Emotionally, getting more matured! Finally I accept I'm married.:D
Style, baduy pa din.
Taste? I still like ampalaya, talong, smoke fish, bagoong than bacon:icon_lol:.
Simple but rock sometimes. :icon_lol:

Nothing changed really, I just changed my clothes into heavy one. :bigcry:
my sandals into boots:Brick:
and everytime I visit my place in Pinas, my close friends, neighbors said nothing changed, still penny naka-duster sa bahay, mana sa Nanay.:icon_lol:
Two feet still on the grounds.
And definitely:omg: no plans to change my bloody husband.:D

MarBell379
25th January 2010, 17:02
Since my wife arrived in the UK from Philippines I've had to turn my heating up a lot, and get used to some sulking.
She can now tell the difference between 0-5C and 8-12C, whereasa before it was all just 'malamig!!!!!'

islander
25th January 2010, 18:25
Since I arrived here in UK, I have been more mature & have learned to adjust the british culture, language, environment & people's way of life....

Well, nothing really changed much in me physically, except I added more fats in my belly though :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

Jamesey
25th January 2010, 19:19
After living in the Philippines for a year, I accepted that it is OK to eat rice for breakfast. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

joebloggs
25th January 2010, 19:43
After living in the Philippines for a year, I accepted that it is OK to eat rice for breakfast. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

for me its not acceptable to eat rice anytime :NoNo: :vomit-smiley-011:

you can't beat a British spud :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Sim11UK
25th January 2010, 21:51

My wife is eating a lot of potatoes now, since I showed her what one looked like. :xxgrinning--00xx3::D

bless.books
4th February 2010, 04:18
this is an interesting topic. too bad i have nothing to share yet as i haven't been to UK :)

Hello prettycai! Thank you for finding this topic interesting :D ... Oh, you already shared one and it is pretty okay. How about, change/s that happened to you since you became a member here?! :)

bless.books
4th February 2010, 04:26
I agree with bless books. People change in some ways but just too shy to admit it...But as of me, i cant tell if i've already change since i just came to uk. :D

Hello filipina_owl and thanks! Yes, you did and I can think of one and that is your accent or your expression like 'sorry' ... Because we deal with British people (unless you're working with/for Filipinos and Filipino is your primary language) - unknowingly - we acquire the way they talk and utter some of their expressions which isn't bad :D

bless.books
4th February 2010, 04:29
Yes, I have changed since I have come back from Phil. I am now in a state of depression. I left my girl and a wonderful country behind me. Depression ends when I touch down in Phil again. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Hello Steve.r! Oh, that is so so sweet (of you) for your girl :D ... :BouncyHappy: Thanks for sharing ...

Ana_may365
4th February 2010, 12:21
Style, baduy pa din.

and everytime I visit my place in Pinas, my close friends, neighbors said nothing changed, still penny naka-duster sa bahay, mana sa Nanay.:icon_lol:

:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:same2x:xxgrinning--00xx3:

pennybarry
4th February 2010, 12:33
:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:same2x:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Rock on! Anna!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

singkit
4th February 2010, 20:27
I have changed in many ways. There are good ones and I hate to admit...some bad ones.
-First I gained weight. My husband said I have to lose it. My defence, I get contented.
-Next, as a filipino, we are all courteous and polite and one example is by addressing "Sir or Ma'am" to your managers or anyone from your workplace with higher position. I say this all the time but I noticed british people don't like it. They said I made them feel old. Some of them actually irritatingly told me "Stop calling me Sir!". Since then, I just call them by their first names. Sometimes, I feel guilty but now, it just come naturally. I still greet our customers with Sir and Ma'am (old habits are hard to break).
-Oh yes, like Penny and many filipinas here, I wear layers of clothings. I still feel cold even in summer.
-I still love filipino food. But I'm addicted to Fish and Chips!
-My accent never changed. Still the adopted American accent which according to my manager..."What a shame!".
-I'm still looking for filipina friends nearby but I do never learned, most of them I get intouch with never replied to my text messages nor speak to me when they see me (yes...these are women who never like someone like me who's married to a brit guy).
-I watched Britain's Got Talent, X Factor, Strictly come Dancing, which my husband hates. But I still watch it anyway leaving my husband to go on computer.:ARsurrender:
-Too many to mention and space aren't getting enough to continue on and on.
Thanks for posting this thread, you made my fingers tipping on the keyboard again!:)

bless.books
4th February 2010, 22:12
Physically, I changed nothing.:xxgrinning--00xx3::Rasp: Emotionally, getting more matured! Finally I accept I'm married.:D
Style, baduy pa din. Taste? I still like ampalaya, talong, smoke fish, bagoong than bacon:icon_lol:. Simple but rock sometimes. :icon_lol: Nothing changed really, I just changed my clothes into heavy one. :bigcry: my sandals into boots:Brick: and everytime I visit my place in Pinas, my close friends, neighbors said nothing changed, still penny naka-duster sa bahay, mana sa Nanay.:icon_lol: Two feet still on the grounds. And definitely:omg: no plans to change my bloody husband.:D

Hello pennybarry! Thanks for sharing in :D ... nice to hear from you.

bless.books
4th February 2010, 22:16
Since my wife arrived in the UK from Philippines I've had to turn my heating up a lot, and get used to some sulking.
She can now tell the difference between 0-5C and 8-12C, whereasa before it was all just 'malamig!!!!!'

Hello Marbell379!:D I know ... that's one that will really change ... :)

bless.books
4th February 2010, 22:19
Since I arrived here in UK, I have been more mature & have learned to adjust the british culture, language, environment & people's way of life.... Well, nothing really changed much in me physically, except I added more fats in my belly though :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

Hello islander! Nice of you to share. Yes, we all do - lots and lots of adjustment - it's also another thing grow and learn ... :D

bless.books
4th February 2010, 22:20

Hello Jamesey! :):D

bless.books
4th February 2010, 22:23
for me its not acceptable to eat rice anytime :NoNo: :vomit-smiley-011: you can't beat a British spud :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Hello joeblogggs! I have to say, I like both ... :)

bless.books
4th February 2010, 22:27
My wife is eating a lot of potatoes now, since I showed her what one looked like. :xxgrinning--00xx3::D

Hello sim11Uk! Back home, as far as I know - there is only one kind of potato unlike here ... and I love Maris Pipers
:-)

pennybarry
5th February 2010, 08:25
-I still love filipino food. But I'm addicted to Fish and Chips!
-My accent never changed. Still the adopted American accent which according to my manager..."What a shame!".
-I'm still looking for filipina friends nearby but I do never learned, most of them I get intouch with never replied to my text messages nor speak to me when they see me (yes...these are women who never like someone like me who's married to a brit guy).
-I watched Britain's Got Talent, X Factor, Strictly come Dancing, which my husband hates. But I still watch it anyway leaving my husband to go on computer.:ARsurrender:
-Too many to mention and space aren't getting enough to continue on and on.
Thanks for posting this thread, you made my fingers tipping on the keyboard again!:)

Wish you're close to me so I can share you more fish as we live close to harbour.

Wish you to meet a genuine filipina friend. Just be patient as good friends are TOO hard to find. Many are jealous pinays that sometimes they will try to put you down if they are down! It took 2 years for me to find my good friends.
I watch that programs too. I leave him alone in our bedroom and go downstairs watch the program if he will not change the channel! Then after few minutes, he will call me to watch it upstairs.:xxgrinning--00xx3:
Drama! :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

Arthur Little
5th February 2010, 13:25
Well, nothing really changed much in me physically, except I *added more fats in my belly though :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

:icon_lol: ... following a recent [superficial] medical check-up, my Filipina wife has discovered *this, too!! But other than that, she's adjusted very well to life in the UK.

bless.books
6th February 2010, 02:31
I have changed in many ways. There are good ones and I hate to admit...some bad ones. -First I gained weight. My husband said I have to lose it. My defence, I get contented. -I still love filipino food. But I'm addicted to Fish and Chips! -My accent never changed. Still the adopted American accent which according to my manager..."What a shame!".
-I'm still looking for filipina friends nearby but I do never learned, most of them I get intouch with never replied to my text messages nor speak to me when they see me (yes...these are women who never like someone like me who's married to a brit guy).-Too many to mention and space aren't getting enough to continue on and on.

Hello singkit! Thank you for your contribution, quite a long one and was good to hear your experience :D ... My aim is for anyone is to think back and think now - compare- sort of a self-reflection

-First, gaining weight is normal :D, as long as you're happy and contented with it - stay as you are - just consider the health risk 'thing'[.

-Oh same here, I love Fish and Chips! /COLOR]
-Perhaps your manager more like to hear you in British accent :D.
-And making friends, I don't find that easy either ... and I gave up looking ... :D ... there are so many reasons why acquaintances remain as that ... hmmm,

But I hope you find one :D ... you come out to be a nice person and genuine. Just be very careful and be very choosy as well. It takes a long to find a friend, real friend.

Many thanks for sharing singkit and have lovely day!

Florge
6th February 2010, 16:28
hmm.. this is interesting! In my almost 4 months of stay here in UK, I didn't change a lot. I still love rice and I'm thankful that my husband loves it and would prefer rice over potatoes and bread now. I am not back to cooking. I don't cook when I was in Pinas because I have no time. Just go to restaurants for my meals... that's what I miss here... Dining out is expensive that I prefer to cook at home instead.

Like Ate Penny, I have never worn as many clothes.. ever! I am now house-bound as I can't work coz of my visa status.. didn't gain weight though and didn't lose any.. lol...

Don't like Fish and chips though as I find them bland.. or maybe I just bought the wrong one.. My accent is still the same and find some british pronunciation funny...

Haven't found Pinay friends here yet.. only friend I got were the sister-in-law and my hair dresser... which is entirely different from back home as my weekends are so full with meetings/dinner out with friends from school, or officemates, or whoever...

And...I have to be content with doing my own nails.. and no weekly spa trips as well! waaaa...

Oh, the things you give up for love.

bless.books
8th February 2010, 22:29
:icon_lol: ... following a recent [superficial] medical check-up, my Filipina wife has discovered *this, too!! But other than that, she's adjusted very well to life in the UK.

Hello Arthur Little! It's good to know your wife is well adjusted to the life here in the UK :D

bless.books
8th February 2010, 22:44
hmm.. this is interesting! In my almost 4 months of stay here in UK, I didn't change a lot. I still love rice and I'm thankful that my husband loves it and would prefer rice over potatoes and bread now. I am not back to cooking. I don't cook when I was in Pinas because I have no time. Just go to restaurants for my meals... that's what I miss here... Dining out is expensive that I prefer to cook at home instead.

I am now house-bound as I can't work coz of my visa status .. didn't gain weight though and didn't lose any.. lol...

Don't like Fish and chips though as I find them bland.. or maybe I just bought the wrong one.. My accent is still the same and find some british pronunciation funny...

Haven't found Pinay friends here yet.. only friend I got were the sister-in-law and my hair dresser... which is entirely different from back home as my weekends are so full with meetings/dinner out with friends from school, or officemates, or whoever...

And...I have to be content with doing my own nails.. and no weekly spa trips as well! waaaa... Oh, the things you give up for love.

Hello Florge! Thanks for finding my thread interesting ... :D If I remember, you're from Manchester? Wow, has it been 4 months now?

Not gaining/losing weight is good and really good, maintain that! And about friends, you will find one in the long run ... don't you worry ... :D

Florge
9th February 2010, 13:29
Hello Florge! Thanks for finding my thread interesting ... :D If I remember, you're from Manchester? Wow, has it been 4 months now?

Not gaining/losing weight is good and really good, maintain that! And about friends, you will find one in the long run ... don't you worry ... :D

yes bless... I'm in Manchester... my nurse and my dietician told me to lose weight though as I am a bit overweight for my height... oh how I wish I am taller! lol

kenny
9th February 2010, 19:02
I remember that feeling.

abbygirl
9th February 2010, 21:30
I moved here from San Diego, in CA 7 months ago. I don't think I've changed, really. Just adjusted, but still miss things.

I miss a variety of food. Not only not eating Filipino food, or food from other places. His parents do all of the cooking, so, I just eat what I'm given. :rolleyes: But, once I start getting paid from work, I'll get a takeaway when I can. Once we live in our own place, then I'll make all sorts of food! :cwm12:

I've started using UK phrases and words. I have to wear loads of clothes all the time-I even wear socks in the house! I'm used to just wearing tisnelas or even just walking around in shorts, tshirt and no shoes in the house. I'm getting used to wearing a coat, hat and gloves. I always look for the words "waterproof" on shoes and clothes now. I'm getting used to a bus system that doesn't work very well.

The fire's become a best friend, so has the computer. :cwm38:

I don't have any friends here, and I don't have anything in common with anyone. That's the hardest part for me, I think. In San Diego, there's a huge Filipino community-there's even a Goldilocks, and Red Ribbon and Jollibee in the shopping mall! Over there, I was one of many, so, I was able to blend in better. And of course, my friends and family were there, and I was familiar with everything and my surroundings.

Here, I stick out like a caribou at the Royal Palace. Living up in the Northwest doesn't really help. The only other immigrant people here are Polish/ Eastern Europeans, and a few other Southeast Asian and Asian(Indian) people. Everyone else is Caucasian/white.

So, that's me. I've been here for about 7 months, so, I'm still just getting used to everything, I know. Hope that things will just keep getting better! :love2:

pumpkins
10th February 2010, 18:57
hi bless.books, how are you?
for me,i think i have changed.. i am more responsible in a relationship..and in the house :D.. in the philippines,it was just a holiday but since i arrived here in the uk,it is different coz you both starting to live a normal life,a husband and wife living under the same roof.
we are still learning to each other and tell each others mistake.so whatever disagreements we have,we talk about it before we sleep and sort it out so it wont build up that one day you just explode which is not good.
so i hope its not late for me to share about changes in me:):):)

singkit
13th February 2010, 15:56
Wish you're close to me so I can share you more fish as we live close to harbour.

Wish you to meet a genuine filipina friend. Just be patient as good friends are TOO hard to find. Many are jealous pinays that sometimes they will try to put you down if they are down! It took 2 years for me to find my good friends.
I watch that programs too. I leave him alone in our bedroom and go downstairs watch the program if he will not change the channel! Then after few minutes, he will call me to watch it upstairs.:xxgrinning--00xx3:
Drama! :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

Hi, Penny, Thanks for the wishes! :) I hope I'll find a true friend here in UK.
Well, atleast, there's a site like this that keep us together or chat a little while.
Kudos! filipinaroses.com!:BouncyHappy:

Kju&2
13th February 2010, 16:50
Hi everyone! I've been in England for 11 years now.. moved here when I just turned 19 and I must admit it took me 5 years to get used to living here in England and beat the "home sickness" blues. I was lucky enough to get here because of my parents and lucky enough to learn a lot about life and be mature and independent (which I probably wouldn't have learned as efficiently living in the Philippines) but I think I'd still want to go back there to live if given a really good job package. I'm a british citizen now but apart from the upside of being able to travel almost anywhere without a visa - I certainly still don't feel very british. People still tend to look down on me 'cos I'm asian. I have noticed differences in service from white people when you're in a shop for example. Like they'd be all nice, friendly and smiley if the person paying before you was white and then their face would suddenly drop or they give you this fake smile when it's your turn to pay 'cos you're asian. Sorry may seem a bit off topic but what I learned about this is that grass isn't always greener on the other side. I am not saying that all british people are like this but just amazed that at this day and age - some people still think that filipinos are either just domestic helpers, nurses/carers or opportunists who marry white guys in order to get to the UK. Living in the UK has made me appreciate the Philippines more, it made me appreciate the relationship I have with my family and relatives back home and made me appreciate the friends I've still got there even if I don't see them very often. I also gained a little bit of weight since I got here but then my bf loves my curves =D It is very hard to find true friends (filipinos) here in the UK and I have now given up on the idea of finding somebody who has the same interests as me and kind of the same age but atleast we've got this forum which may help us gain some "online" friends / chums

bless.books
13th February 2010, 23:38
yes bless... I'm in Manchester... my nurse and my dietician told me to lose weight though as I am a bit overweight for my height... oh how I wish I am taller! lol

Hello again Florge! If they say so and be good for you, go for it :D ...

bless.books
13th February 2010, 23:39
I remember that feeling.

Hello Kenny! You do as well? :D

bless.books
13th February 2010, 23:52
hi bless.books, how are you? for me,i think i have changed.. i am more responsible in a relationship..and in the house :D.. in the philippines,it was just a holiday but since i arrived here in the uk,it is different coz you both starting to live a normal life,a husband and wife living under the same roof. we are still learning to each other and tell each others mistake.so whatever disagreements we have,we talk about it before we sleep and sort it out so it wont build up that one day you just explode which is not good.
so i hope its not late for me to share about changes in me:):):)

Hello pumpkins! I am well, thank you ... How are you? Really nice to hear you - now you're here and sharing your experience! It's not too late at all.

We all do change in so many ways. And if the UK didn't do much to influence/change you/me/others ways for the better - then that means we didn't grow. Good wishes to you both ... God bless! :D

pennybarry
14th February 2010, 13:00
We all do change in so many ways. And if the UK didn't do much to influence/change you/me/others ways for the better - then that means we didn't grow. Good wishes to you both ... God bless! :D

I think if you are good in the Philippines, there's no much need to change for better. Some people grew up before they married. UK culture is always there and will be respected, but I don't think all of us will be influenced by all their cultures. Proud to be a filipino and I love UK too!

But then there will surely big changes if we have children as time will focus to them and be a housewife. :D
I can still do other things like going out and still bit independent as long as trust and freedom is always there. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

bless.books
14th February 2010, 14:37
I moved here from San Diego, in CA 7 months ago. I don't think I've changed, really. Just adjusted, but still miss things. I miss a variety of food. Not only not eating Filipino food, or food from other places. His parents do all of the cooking, so, I just eat what I'm given. :rolleyes: But, once I start getting paid from work, I'll get a takeaway when I can. Once we live in our own place, then I'll make all sorts of food! :cwm12:

I've started using UK phrases and words. I have to wear loads of clothes all the time-I even wear socks in the house! I'm used to just wearing tisnelas or even just walking around in shorts, tshirt and no shoes in the house. I'm getting used to wearing a coat, hat and gloves. I always look for the words "waterproof" on shoes and clothes now. I'm getting used to a bus system that doesn't work very well. The fire's become a best friend, so has the computer. :cwm38:

I don't have any friends here, and I don't have anything in common with anyone. That's the hardest part for me, I think. In San Diego, there's a huge Filipino community-there's even a Goldilocks, and Red Ribbon and Jollibee in the shopping mall! Over there, I was one of many, so, I was able to blend in better. And of course, my friends and family were there, and I was familiar with everything and my surroundings. Here, I stick out like a caribou at the Royal Palace. Living up in the Northwest doesn't really help. The only other immigrant people here are Polish/ Eastern Europeans, and a few other Southeast Asian and Asian(Indian) people. Everyone else is Caucasian/white.

So, that's me. I've been here for about 7 months, so, I'm still just getting used to everything, I know. Hope that things will just keep getting better! :love2:

Hello abbygirl! Thank you for joining/sharing in your experiences. Since you come all the way from CA, you will find yourself missing CA and what has CA for you compared - not if you come direct from our home - Philippines. And surely, not much change bec whatever big/little changes in you then, that happened in CA :D

Yes, same here, since I cannot greatly cook I really really miss Pilipino Food. Oh don't you worry, things will get better with you here. I know what youre saying " the hardest part of it" ... it's like putting square peg in a round hole :D ... Good luck and all the best!

somebody
14th February 2010, 17:41
for me its not acceptable to eat rice anytime :NoNo: :vomit-smiley-011:

You dont like Rice Pudding:Erm:

eula mackay
14th February 2010, 19:51
i think im still the same person with different approach in decision making. bit more practical and a lot more considerate.

i've always been punctual although before coming to live here i never said much if someones late. now, i make it a point of confirming time and stressing that i only have a few minutes to spare watching the paint go dry. i value my time so much more, i think its very disrespectful if someone is consistently late.

i do try to cut down my co2 emission by car sharing, i walk to the shops and i recycle. something i definitely didnt do before coming to live here.

im a bit more conscious of what i eat and what i feed my husband. very very little frying, loads of greens, low cholesterol, low saturated fat and low sugar. alcohol intake is kept minimal as well. gym 3x a week if possible.

and the biggest change is - i only eat rice once every two weeks :)

bless.books
15th February 2010, 18:07
Hello Everyone! Thank you for your contributions. I have yet to react to Ekks and Eula something :D ... a bit later, eh ... :D

Here, few quotations I wanted to share with you that has something to do with the CHANGE/S

Continuity gives us roots; change gives us branches, letting us stretch and grow and reach new heights. ~Pauline R. Kezer

He who rejects change is the architect of decay. The only human institution which rejects progress is the cemetery. ~Harold Wilson

When you are through changing, you are through. ~Bruce Barton

They must often change, who would be constant in happiness or wisdom. ~Confucius

If nothing ever changed, there'd be no butterflies. ~Author Unknown

We change, whether we like it or not. (I miss to copy who said this, I think it was John F. Kennedy) :NoNo:

To exist is to change, to change is to mature, to mature is to go on creating oneself endlessly. (This one. I miss as well) :NoNo:

ras66uk
15th February 2010, 19:03
hey ppl,
i livd here in phil. now for 14mnths,
we lost our 1st baby, and juz had our 2nd baby healthy! thank jah!
i noticed how evryting here u hav to pay for!medically dat is.
i giv thnx for nhs system in UK , here in phil. if u poor u die, simple as dat... messed up....
and ultimatly we are all the same, one ppl, wit little differences BUT THE SAME, ONE FAMILY, ONE BLOOD, so for ppl here dat cant find friendz bcaz u think u different, push these tings out your mind...bcaz it holds u back....open your mind and u will see doors open. UNIVERSAL LOVE

Arthur Little
15th February 2010, 20:26
hey ppl,
i livd here in phil. now for 14mnths,
we lost our 1st baby, and juz had our 2nd baby healthy! thank jah!
i noticed how evryting here u hav to pay for!medically dat is.
i giv thnx for nhs system in UK , here in phil. if u poor u die, simple as dat... messed up....
and ultimatly we are all the same, one ppl, wit little differences BUT THE SAME, ONE FAMILY, ONE BLOOD, so for ppl here dat cant find friendz bcaz u think u different, push these tings out your mind...bcaz it holds u back....open your mind and u will see doors open. UNIVERSAL LOVE

:gp:s here, Ras ... WE in the UK have lots to be grateful for!!! I'm so sorry to learn of the loss of your first-born ... but, thankfully, you now have a healthy second child.

pennybarry
16th February 2010, 10:15
Hello Everyone! We change, whether we like it or not. (I miss to copy who said this, I think it was John F. Kennedy) :NoNo:

(This one. I miss as well) :NoNo:

Uoh, I changed my job here.:D:omg:
I have improved my housekeeping job at home when I worked as housekeeper here.:doh
I have improvement on how to serve crab in good presentation. When I worked at crab company, I became a crab specialist :omg:as I can break the claws, remove meat from the shells without breaking the meat. :omg::yikes:
I changed my job wether I like it or not to earn money. :NoNo::icon_lol:

bless.books
16th February 2010, 12:54
[QUOTE=pennybarry;206185]I think if you are good in the Philippines, there's no much need to change for better. Some people grew up before they married. UK culture is always there and will be respected, but I don't think all of us will be influenced by all their cultures. Proud to be a filipino and I love UK too! But then there will surely big changes if we have children as time will focus to them and be a housewife. :D

Hello pennybarry! Without blowing my own trumpet, I would say I am good and doing good :D back home - well, those who are close to me will say amen to that :):D:) ...

But :)I don't feel good, just being good. I want to improve. I don't want to be just good. I want to be better. I want to be the best. But then again, we can only do so much. I can say I am not typical. The UK influenced me in so many ways - to think more, to analyse more, to observe more, to act more, to help more, to understand more, to be passionate more, to accept more, broadens my horizon more, to grow more and more - and so on and so forth. :D:)

pennybarry
16th February 2010, 14:28
[QUOTE=pennybarry;206185]I think if you are good in the Philippines, there's no much need to change for better. Some people grew up before they married. UK culture is always there and will be respected, but I don't think all of us will be influenced by all their cultures. Proud to be a filipino and I love UK too! But then there will surely big changes if we have children as time will focus to them and be a housewife. :D

Hello pennybarry! Without blowing my own trumpet, I would say I am good and doing good :D back home - well, those who are close to me will say amen to that :):D:) ...

But :)I don't feel good, just being good. I want to improve. I don't want to be just good. I want to be better. I want to be the best. But then again, we can only do so much. I can say I am not typical. The UK influenced me in so many ways - to think more, to analyse more, to observe more, to act more, to help more, to understand more, to be passionate more, to accept more, broadens my horizon more, to grow more and more - and so on and so forth. :D:)

Every individual wants to change for better, wherever they are whatever they do. Everybody feels good if they help more. We do think more and you're right as I think more in the UK than in Pinas. Surroundings here is very quiet and you have more and more time to think especially if you just stay in the house.I wonder why there are Shakespeare, Einstein and Churchil in Europe. :omg: Because sometimes I am more creative in thinking!Sarap mag-isip kasi tahimik:D:icon_lol: I got loads and loads of ideas to learn more whilst infront of PC.:D But I cannot act more like what I was doing in the Philippines. :icon_lol: I mean If I want to close my business deal in a week, I can do lots of things in a day. I worked with people for decades and understand and enjoy being with them. I am proud to be a volunteer to help and share my thoughts. Here I learned to be more suspicious and care people with boundaries.
There are many more people in Pinas that also needs more help. Been there done that and still helping by giving advices. I am now called as Tiya DEly! :bigcry::bigcry: Sorry for blowing the trumphet.

Goodluck for growing more!:BouncyHappy:

scot5man
16th February 2010, 23:09
Even after 35 years in the UK my wife still hasnt changed in so many ways...!!!

I still waken up every morning to the smell of dried fish being fried.
Although she likes to experiment with British dishes we generally eat Filipino food (no complaint from me there)
If we have an argument and she is wrong she will never say sorry..!!

Actually Im sure there are many other ways in which i feel that she hasn't changed, but actually i wouldn't want her to change..she is a proud Filipina and rightly so.

scot5man

scot5man
16th February 2010, 23:56
PS : The only way i have changed personally is that since my first trip to the Philippines I contracted a very serious disease. It affects me every time I get back to the UK. Its called PPD and I hear that there is no cure for it..!!

scot5man

sars_notd_virus
17th February 2010, 11:56
Husband's reply:''NO i didnt change a bit except that:
..I became more workaholic to get u here in Uk..
..I went down my brothers place often now and eat his rice and salad(used to eat rice 3x a day when in phils) :rolleyes:

Florge
17th February 2010, 22:26
Hi everyone! I've been in England for 11 years now.. moved here when I just turned 19 and I must admit it took me 5 years to get used to living here in England and beat the "home sickness" blues. I was lucky enough to get here because of my parents and lucky enough to learn a lot about life and be mature and independent (which I probably wouldn't have learned as efficiently living in the Philippines) but I think I'd still want to go back there to live if given a really good job package. I'm a british citizen now but apart from the upside of being able to travel almost anywhere without a visa - I certainly still don't feel very british. People still tend to look down on me 'cos I'm asian. I have noticed differences in service from white people when you're in a shop for example. Like they'd be all nice, friendly and smiley if the person paying before you was white and then their face would suddenly drop or they give you this fake smile when it's your turn to pay 'cos you're asian. Sorry may seem a bit off topic but what I learned about this is that grass isn't always greener on the other side. I am not saying that all british people are like this but just amazed that at this day and age - some people still think that filipinos are either just domestic helpers, nurses/carers or opportunists who marry white guys in order to get to the UK. Living in the UK has made me appreciate the Philippines more, it made me appreciate the relationship I have with my family and relatives back home and made me appreciate the friends I've still got there even if I don't see them very often. I also gained a little bit of weight since I got here but then my bf loves my curves =D It is very hard to find true friends (filipinos) here in the UK and I have now given up on the idea of finding somebody who has the same interests as me and kind of the same age but atleast we've got this forum which may help us gain some "online" friends / chums

i totally agree with you... well, you got very nice pinays here that can be your friends.. found a few .. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Florge
17th February 2010, 22:28
I moved here from San Diego, in CA 7 months ago. I don't think I've changed, really. Just adjusted, but still miss things.

I miss a variety of food. Not only not eating Filipino food, or food from other places. His parents do all of the cooking, so, I just eat what I'm given. :rolleyes: But, once I start getting paid from work, I'll get a takeaway when I can. Once we live in our own place, then I'll make all sorts of food! :cwm12:

I've started using UK phrases and words. I have to wear loads of clothes all the time-I even wear socks in the house! I'm used to just wearing tisnelas or even just walking around in shorts, tshirt and no shoes in the house. I'm getting used to wearing a coat, hat and gloves. I always look for the words "waterproof" on shoes and clothes now. I'm getting used to a bus system that doesn't work very well.

The fire's become a best friend, so has the computer. :cwm38:

I don't have any friends here, and I don't have anything in common with anyone. That's the hardest part for me, I think. In San Diego, there's a huge Filipino community-there's even a Goldilocks, and Red Ribbon and Jollibee in the shopping mall! Over there, I was one of many, so, I was able to blend in better. And of course, my friends and family were there, and I was familiar with everything and my surroundings.

Here, I stick out like a caribou at the Royal Palace. Living up in the Northwest doesn't really help. The only other immigrant people here are Polish/ Eastern Europeans, and a few other Southeast Asian and Asian(Indian) people. Everyone else is Caucasian/white.

where in the UK are you at?

pocahontas
19th February 2010, 22:08
oh...can i still join my self in this topic.. hello bless books. if im not mistaken are you also the one who put a topic here about AKOY PILIPINO song? coz if you do i have to admit that you are emotional person but.........very interesting personality. i like it. and for your question about this. in my own experience, really things change and no permanent in this world. not unless you set it to be in the same way. i have to say that its hard for me to say the truth of how i change. but to make this a little bit more clear for me changes in life is not always favor to what you expecting and if thats happened then you need more time to accept it..8-) hm.. i dont think i made my self clear..hehe8-)

pocahontas
19th February 2010, 22:11
Even after 35 years in the UK my wife still hasnt changed in so many ways...!!!

I still waken up every morning to the smell of dried fish being fried.
Although she likes to experiment with British dishes we generally eat Filipino food (no complaint from me there)
If we have an argument and she is wrong she will never say sorry..!!

Actually Im sure there are many other ways in which i feel that she hasn't changed, but actually i wouldn't want her to change..she is a proud Filipina and rightly so.

scot5man
:D:D your both cute i can picture how you accept each other..:)

pocahontas
19th February 2010, 22:13
Style, baduy pa din.

funny, truly humble person..:D

pocahontas
19th February 2010, 22:38
i read all the comment of your post bless books and i have to admit that this is one of the best topic here in forum that everyone can say their experience. all the reply i asnwered is really a learning story or experiences, and also have to admit that it hit me being selfish. i have to admit that i am very unperfection and made a lot of mistakes and continuing same person that i missed which make me hard to be greatefull in life. though im still trying..kaya lang tigal tlg ulo ko... and for the girls filipina who looking for a true friendship, count me in coz im one of you who hoping to look for a true friends..that no matter who you are you can share with someone without un judging you.. very true real friend hard to find..

bless.books
20th February 2010, 22:50
[QUOTE=Ekks;206081] ... Philippines) but I think I'd still want to go back there to live if given a really good job package ... I certainly still don't feel very british. People still tend to look down on me 'cos I'm asian. I have noticed differences in service from white people when you're in a shop ... Sorry may seem a bit off topic but what I learned about this is that grass isn't always greener on the other side ... but just amazed that at this day and age - some people still think that filipinos are either just domestic helpers, nurses/carers or opportunists who marry white guys in order to get to the UK. Living in the UK has made me appreciate the Philippines more, it made me appreciate the relationship I have with my family and relatives back home and made me appreciate the friends I've still got there even if I don't see them very often. It is very hard to find true friends (filipinos) here in the UK and I have now given up on the idea of finding somebody ... /QUOTE]

Hello and thanks Ekks for sharing! Saying “YES!!!” to myself while reading your contribution - very much interesting to hear you and how much you appreciate Philippines – the very thing I wished to hear and the very one angle of change I am talking about ... :D:D:D

I can feel your frustrations. We share the same sentiments and I experienced that myself. In away no one is to blame, except us or maybe not? I am not sure saying this, but whether appropriate or not that to me in general is my personal observation. I wouldn’t be surprised if I get reactions over this. :ARsurrender::ARsurrender:

We need to go out of the ordinary. We need to change the misconceptions and generalisations. Again (in my opinion), we have yet to do something that can really turn Britain/British around or perhaps we’ve done something already, but no support from our own? I really don’t know. Friends even are hard to find, why?

bless.books
20th February 2010, 23:06
i think im still the same person with different approach in decision making. bit more practical and a lot more considerate.
i've always been punctual although before coming to live here i never said much if someones late. now, i make it a point of confirming time and stressing that i only have a few minutes to spare watching the paint go dry. i value my time so much more, i think its very disrespectful if someone is consistently late. i do try to cut down my co2 emission by car sharing, i walk to the shops and i recycle. something i definitely didnt do before coming to live here.
im a bit more conscious of what i eat and what i feed my husband. very very little frying, loads of greens, low cholesterol, low saturated fat and low sugar. alcohol intake is kept minimal as well. gym 3x a week if possible. and the biggest change is - i only eat rice once every two weeks :)

Hello eula mackay! Thank you for posting. :D These things we learn/to apply here :D. Time is gold and once lost, it is really lost. We cannot afford to waste time. Thanks to celphone - we can confirm and leave if one is waste of time ... :D

I browsed/read it somewhere online about a community back home doing their bit of recycling in massive scale (I need to check). I hope they are successful so others will follow ...

bless.books
2nd March 2010, 01:54

Hello ras66uk! Thank for your contribution and I hope things are okay there. Yeah, good point. And sometime you ask why?

bless.books
8th March 2010, 18:47
Even after 35 years in the UK my wife still hasnt changed in so many ways...!!! I still waken up every morning to the smell of dried fish being fried. Although she likes to experiment with British dishes we generally eat Filipino food (no complaint from me there) If we have an argument and she is wrong she will never say sorry..!!

Actually Im sure there are many other ways in which i feel that she hasn't changed, but actually i wouldn't want her to change..she is a proud Filipina and rightly so. scot5man

Hello scot5man! wait 2 secs to reload the image I meant to reply when I read this, but i can only do a few at a time wait 2 secs to reload the image ...

It's funny to hear/know how your wife craves Filipino foods, I do as well. Whenever I come up to London I make sure I drop at Earl's Court where the food is !!! And yes too in saying 'Sorry' ... I think that is a trademark of Filipinas wait 2 secs to reload the image It's a wife thing wait 2 secs to reload the image wait 2 secs to reload the image

triple5
8th March 2010, 18:50
wait 2 secs to reload the image :Erm:

bless.books
11th March 2010, 13:33
PS : The only way i have changed personally is that since my first trip to the Philippines I contracted a very serious disease. It affects me every time I get back to the UK. Its called PPD and I hear that there is no cure for it..!! scot5man

Hello again scot5man! Excuse my ignorance, what does PPD means? :-)

bless.books
11th March 2010, 13:40
Husband's reply:''NO i didnt change a bit except that: ..I became more workaholic to get u here in Uk..
..I went down my brothers place often now and eat his rice and salad(used to eat rice 3x a day when in phils) :rolleyes:

Hello sars_notd_virus! Sorry, my response is a bit late ... Yes, add'l expenses - and pertaining to your stay here, he will have to prepare as well ...

bless.books
11th March 2010, 13:57
oh...can i still join my self in this topic.. hello bless books. if im not mistaken are you also the one who put a topic here about AKOY PILIPINO song? coz if you do i have to admit that you are emotional person but.........very interesting personality. i like it. and for your question about this. in my own experience, really things change and no permanent in this world. not unless you set it to be in the same way. i have to say that its hard for me to say the truth of how i change. but to make this a little bit more clear for me changes in life is not always favor to what you expecting and if thats happened then you need more time to accept it..8-) hm.. i dont think i made my self clear..hehe8-)

Hello pocahontas! Finally, I am here to respond to your comment. I read this before, so sorry only now - I can only reply to a few at a time and besides, just don't want to monopolise the whole thread ... if that is the case, you will get bored seeing all my responses in one go.

Thanks for your words :-) ... yes, I am the same one who posted the AKO AY PILIPINO and yes, I am a bit emotional.

It has been said over that the only thing that is permanent is change aside from death and tax of course! Oh, it's perfectly clear to me pocahontas.

Change is inevitable, you can either embrace it or embrace. I see that we have no choice ... we just have to balance the good from the bad.
Okay, till next interaction with you ...

bless.books
11th March 2010, 14:06
wait 2 secs to reload the image :Erm:

Hello triple5! The changes that happened to you? hahaha ...

I noticed that only now. When I clicked the icon, it says those words hoping it will automatically show the icon when I submit reply, and obviously not!

I am using a very very slow dongle meaning so so slow to load ...

David House
11th March 2010, 18:11
My wife has been in the UK for 8 years and is now a British citizen. She has changed a lot, though some of those changes are due to her just getting older and wiser. She remains close to her culture and seems to have found a middle path, taking the good bits from both. No-one is a more enthusiastic supporter of any British sportsman or woman than Connie, who even comes to watch football with me and gets very involved. She values the lack of corruption here, but gets depressed at the way some families don't support each other. She loves many "English" dishes and cooks them really well, whilst still liking to eat rice with her fingers.
Although we live in a fairly small Cambridgeshire town there is an informal but active Filipino community which automatically includes any new face in town to any gatherings. These occur pretty frequently, the last being only yesterday when a birthday was celebrated with everyone cooking a Filipino dish and singing.
Although Connie did face some racist attitudes whilst studying at college these were from mindless youngsters who pick on anyone, or anything, different. If she had been black, muslim, fat, thin or old I think it would have been the same. It is much more a condemnation of the perpetrators than a comment on Filipinos. In fact Connie has plenty of British friends. We take part in a weekly quiz in our local which definately helps but the biggest reason is that Connie is a talented singer, who after being in a band for 4 years, is now gigging on her own. She is really popular and she gets lots of affection from her audiences, which in turn gives her confidence. In my experience the more you reach out to British people the more accepted you will become.
We spent 6 months in 2009 in the Philippines, and have spent other times there too, so I have had the opportunity to witness life there at first hand. I don't think it really made any changes to me. I still cannot tolerate dried fish, especially the smell, prefer potatos to rice, think Halo Halo is a joke and JollyBee portions stupidly small. I continue to believe that the education system there is a confidence trick on the people and that the Roman Catholic church is the root cause of many of the problems. However I like the kindness, the laid back attitude and the respect shown by young people to the more mature.