PDA

View Full Version : Medical History dispute

aphrodite78
20th January 2010, 14:11
Hi,

I don't know whether anyone in this forum has had the same situation as I have.

Last year I have asked AXA for a life and critical illness insurance and they quoted me 36 pounds a month. They sent me an authorization form for me to fill out to be sent to my doctor asking for my medical history.

A month passed and after my holiday to the Phils I received a letter from my insurance company that in view of my medical history they are now putting a whack on my insurance premium which has significantly gone up to 51 pounds a month. It's not about the money I was annoyed with but it's my medical history. Another letter came from AXA saying that my doctor have diagnosed me with post traumatic stress disorder with intent of harming myself. This has backdated when I was admitted to psychiatric unit last 2006. I didn't denied I was stayed there but I said that I was having a tough time from my abusive ex-husband and that he assaulted me and that I needed to escape from him. I was then seen by a doctor who said that there is no bed at the hospital but there is one available in a psychiatric unit. I stayed there for 2 days and I discharged myself because my friend was very happy to house me. I was then seen again by a doctor and said that he is happy to discharge me and I am in good form. SO that was that and nobody discussed anything that I am indeed suffering from post traumatic stress disorder. I am fuming because I believe I was wrongly diagnosed and it is now in my medical records.

Please help I don't know how to go about this. I haven't spoken to my GP yet but I have set an appointment to see her as I am not having this on my record. Have anyone had a dispute with their medical record and if so how and what are process of having it removed from your file?

joebloggs
20th January 2010, 14:27
i dont know about getting your records changed, but if you had not told them everything, and if you ever needed to make a claim, they would try and make it void :NoNo:.

i don't have life insurance or critical illness insurance, the only thing critical is i keep alive :rolleyes:

pennybarry
20th January 2010, 19:02
Hi,

I don't know whether anyone in this forum has had the same situation as I have.

Last year I have asked AXA for a life and critical illness insurance and they quoted me 36 pounds a month. They sent me an authorization form for me to fill out to be sent to my doctor asking for my medical history.

A month passed and after my holiday to the Phils I received a letter from my insurance company that in view of my medical history they are now putting a whack on my insurance premium which has significantly gone up to 51 pounds a month. It's not about the money I was annoyed with but it's my medical history. Another letter came from AXA saying that my doctor have diagnosed me with post traumatic stress disorder with intent of harming myself. This has backdated when I was admitted to psychiatric unit last 2006. I didn't denied I was stayed there but I said that I was having a tough time from my abusive ex-husband and that he assaulted me and that I needed to escape from him. I was then seen by a doctor who said that there is no bed at the hospital but there is one available in a psychiatric unit. I stayed there for 2 days and I discharged myself because my friend was very happy to house me. I was then seen again by a doctor and said that he is happy to discharge me and I am in good form. SO that was that and nobody discussed anything that I am indeed suffering from post traumatic stress disorder. I am fuming because I believe I was wrongly diagnosed and it is now in my medical records.

Please help I don't know how to go about this. I haven't spoken to my GP yet but I have set an appointment to see her as I am not having this on my record. Have anyone had a dispute with their medical record and if so how and what are process of having it removed from your file?

Why not just cancel your insurance aphrodite? It may just add stress to you.
I'm sure you'll find insurance companies that will not require records in the past.
I don't think anybody can remove it from database as it is confidential record.
Even in our country, we have records in our hospital and some insurance companies used to trace it.
But I don't trust most insurance in our country as our family had enough bad experience for not paying us. :doh

KeithD
20th January 2010, 19:29
Here ya go http://www.medicalprotection.org/uk/factsheets/records :xxgrinning--00xx3:

RickyR
20th January 2010, 19:48
I'm not sure whether your referring to UK or Philippines records, but with a quick search of the net I found this information from an NHS trust, and I would imagine it pretty much mirrors the policies of other trusts.

I'd recommend that first of all you approach your GP and discuss verbally the situation and ask for advice, if the result of this fails, then the next policy would be send a written request of amendment to the GP by registered mail. If you receive a reply denying this, then I would send a statement of disagreement to the GP and a copy to the local NHS Trust (including copies of all communication).

Amendments to Healthcare Records

Should the patient feel that there is inaccurate information held within the notes, they have a
right to ask for it to be amended. Incorrect demographic information will be immediately
corrected. If the information is clinical then it will have to be investigated by the Trust before
an amendment can be made. The investigation will end in one of the following outcomes:

• The Trust rules that the information is correct and it will not be amended. The patient
can appeal to the Information Commissioner for an independent investigation if this
happens. The Trust will also agree to a statement from the patient being placed in the
notes, which explains their disagreement with the information held therein.

• The Trust agrees what the information is incorrect. However, it is illegal to modify the
documentation as it represents “historical information” which could have influenced
subsequent events. Therefore a note will be placed in the file which alerts the reader
to the inaccuracy and the correct facts. The patient and the Trust will agree the
contents of the note.

Doc Alan
20th January 2010, 23:23
[QUOTE=aphrodite78;

I haven't spoken to my GP yet but I have set an appointment to see her [/QUOTE]

Thankfully you've had good advice here before I saw your thread, but clearly, armed with the information given, the sensible thing is indeed to see your GP.