PDA

View Full Version : filipino food that you truly miss

mhynne
3rd February 2010, 00:36
purefoods hotdogs for me.. scoured through most asian stores i know but could not find any here in england... if you have seen this anywhere please let me know..

red ribbon cakes, sarsi, seafoods are also other things i really miss!

anyone else here who is missing anything from the philippines?

fred
3rd February 2010, 05:25
Tell you what..I`ll send you a bottle of Sarsi if you send me a bottle of Colemans mustard? Deal?

mhynne
3rd February 2010, 09:49
hahaha! deal!

scottishbride
3rd February 2010, 10:41
Ampalaya, Calamansi, same here sis Red Ribbon cake...You can't find it here.

adam&chryss
3rd February 2010, 11:00
I miss ampalaya too!

Also bagoong, kangkong, tocino and kare-kare :)

and our very own chocnut!

getting hungry now, lolz!

triple5
3rd February 2010, 12:30
I miss kinilaw :)

filipina_owl
3rd February 2010, 12:38
I miss all filipino foods...:NoNo:

Tonet
3rd February 2010, 16:40
Ampalaya, Calamansi, same here sis Red Ribbon cake...You can't find it here.

If you have any ASIAN shop/store nearby, you should scan their canned good i found a canned ampalaya from Thailand in an Asian shop near my place. we even have bagoong here and tilapia, shame i cant buy them or else Philip will send me home hehehe.

I miss Philippine hotdog too but i think what i miss the most are balut and chicharon sawsaw sa suka mmmmm..

ca143
3rd February 2010, 16:54
try in ASDA too,they have frozen ampalaya,okra,casava ang malunggay........:D

abby
3rd February 2010, 17:01
i miss daing...

pumpkins
3rd February 2010, 18:16
i miss laing , kwek kwek ,tinapa. am glad we have loads of stock of lucky me pancit canton here from thai shop nearby:):):)

Braveheart
3rd February 2010, 18:27
look for pakistani stores around. found one here nearby our flat. they have fresh ampalaya. okra, upo, talong, mungo, loofah, sometimes they have the bungga ng malunggay, puso ng saging too.

also some chinese stores have kangkong and sayote too. they have mama sita mixes too. tried to buy the mama sita tocino mix then just marinated the pork with it and fried it. masarap!

i found a thai store somewhere near too that sells baguio walis tambo.

also another african shop nearby sometimes sells tilapia and dilis.

hmmmmmm....nagutom tuloy ako...whahahah!

explore nalang your local stores around.

I miss lechon! =(

pennybarry
3rd February 2010, 18:57
I miss every fresh veggies in our farm.:omg::Brick:
Our pahutan mangoes
banana
white corn
ampalaya
kangkong

English Rose
3rd February 2010, 20:26
Paw paw and melon that has been ripened by the sun. Fish and seafood that hasn't been frozen. Freshly squeezed pineapple juice.

maria_and_matt
3rd February 2010, 21:09
fresh mangoes! lanzones! atis! aratilis!

maria_and_matt
3rd February 2010, 21:09
I miss ampalaya too!

all of that u can buy in norwich sis:D

mhynne
3rd February 2010, 21:53
bagoong is available at asian stores.. although its a lot nicer if you still stir fry it with a bit of garlic...tocino theres a mama sita's mix.. although i havent tried that yet
i miss kare kare too! i have tried the mama sita's mix but i miss the one with "laman loob" and "buntot ng baka."
i really miss purefoods hotdog and red ribbon cake =(
phil mangoes are still the best!

lizaphil
3rd February 2010, 22:00
I miss ampalaya too!

we got that all in here,look for asian shop
you can get it all there

Tiggers0608
3rd February 2010, 22:02
bagoong is available at asian stores.. although its a lot nicer if you still stir fry it with a bit of garlic...tocino theres a mama sita's mix.. although i havent tried that yet
i miss kare kare too! i have tried the mama sita's mix but i miss the one with "laman loob" and "buntot ng baka."
i really miss purefoods hotdog and red ribbon cake =(
phil mangoes are still the best!

:doh:NoNo:
I miss a lot of filipino food to sis especially :xxgrinning--00xx3: purefoods hotdogs and red ribbon cakes and :rolleyes: jollibee :D

Sim11UK
3rd February 2010, 22:10
Ampalaya

Yuk! I hate Ampalaya, so bitter. :eek:

I miss kinilaw :)

I agree with you triple...it's lovely. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

mhynne
3rd February 2010, 22:56
yeah jollibee and gravy at KFC! the gravy here taste different...

aug06_2006
3rd February 2010, 22:58
me really lucky coz has asian store just near in our place...

LadyJ
3rd February 2010, 23:32
I love this thread...

First the food I can cook or make at home are
Pakbet
dinuguan -using black pudding not dugo.
kare-kare
leche flan
halohalo, fruit salads etc
papaitan
bangus na daing or binabad
Mongo, adobo, sinigang, tinola, paksiw etc.

and what I missed back in Phils are DUNKIN DONUTS, HOTDOGS, CALAMANSI, FRESH SEAFOODS, CHOWKING, BBQ AND LUGAW SA KANTO, UBE, PUTO, SIOPAO, GOLDILOCKS, KILAWIN NA FRESH DILIS, JOLLIBEE, FRESH BUKO OR PANDAN JUICE, RIPED MANGOES, ITLOG NA MAALAT WITH GREEN MANGOES CHOPPED WITH TOMATOES, TALBOS NG KAMOTE, MALUNGAY...Haaaay! lots of them, cant remember now.

but the food that i dont miss at all and will never eat ever again because i havent eat it for almost 10 yrs is ...............balut!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Arthur Little
4th February 2010, 01:22
but the food that i dont miss at all and will never eat ever again because i havent eat it for almost 10 yrs is ...............balut!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

:iagree: ... Not exactly sure what it IS :rolleyes: ... and don't want to disturb my good lady who's presently fast asleep in bed ... but it doesn't sound as though it's likely to set the old taste buds a-tingling with mouth-watering delight! :NoNo:

Doc Alan
4th February 2010, 10:04
I have a 7' tall calamansi tree growing in my living room :)

adam&chryss
4th February 2010, 11:11
all of that u can buy in norwich sis:D

been to norwich once but when we were there I forgot to look where the asian shops are.. my mind was all about shopping shoes and clothes, lolz!

we got that all in here,look for asian shop
you can get it all there

unlucky me, no asian shops here :(

oh and btw I miss our hot pandesal and bibingka with itlog na maalat!

aidaaida
4th February 2010, 15:02
purefoods hotdogs for me.. scoured through most asian stores i know but could not find any here in england... if you have seen this anywhere please let me know..

red ribbon cakes, sarsi, seafoods are also other things i really miss!

anyone else here who is missing anything from the philippines?

My wife:bigcry:

mhynne
4th February 2010, 21:26
aidaaida sorry to hear that you are not with your wife...

adam&chryss - you can see some recipes online on how to make pandesal.. ive heard you can use the ready made dough you can buy in the store... then cut them into pan de sal sizes.. and roll them in fine bread crumbs before putting in oven....

dinuguan - i normally use black pudding here whenever i miss it.. along with datu puti vinegar and a bit of sinigang mix...

LadyJ
4th February 2010, 21:52
:iagree: ... Not exactly sure what it IS :rolleyes: ... and don't want to disturb my good lady who's presently fast asleep in bed ... but it doesn't sound as though it's likely to set the old taste buds a-tingling with mouth-watering delight! :NoNo:

Hi Arthur, well balut is a one of the Phils delicacy. It's a baby chick inside. well ask your wifey if you want to know more:xxgrinning--00xx3:

I have a 7' tall calamansi tree growing in my living room :)

That looks like lemon to me? i know lemon and calamansi has a similar taste but i still prefer calamansi:xxgrinning--00xx3: and also it's color green:xxgrinning--00xx3:

mhynne
4th February 2010, 22:15
LADYJ how did you manage to cook pinakbet and tinola here in the UK? are the ingredients readily available?

Doc Alan
4th February 2010, 22:49
[QUOTE=LadyJ;20452

That looks like lemon to me? i know lemon and calamansi has a similar taste but i still prefer calamansi:xxgrinning--00xx3: and also it's color green:xxgrinning--00xx3:[/QUOTE]

Thanks LadyJ, I understand the fruits of calamansi (lime in UK) are usually green but if left to ripen become yellow. I've only had it a few months and I'm hoping there will be more fruit next summer when we will know if it's calamansi or lemon....you may be right ! Either way, they're both good for Vitamin C and treating the common cold :)

alicat
4th February 2010, 23:14
itlog na maalat,red ribbon,palabok,argentina corned beef,banana q,max restaurant,buko pandan,dunkin donuts
real mango,fish ball@kickyam,halaya,bilo bilo,at mrmi pang iba..
hay,i really miss pinoy foods.

LadyJ
4th February 2010, 23:16
LADYJ how did you manage to cook pinakbet and tinola here in the UK? are the ingredients readily available?

Hi mhynne im not really good cooking pinakbet but i have my own version:D
for pinakbet i just use squash or kalabasa from asian store, okra, aubergine, ampalaya from my local town market or asda or asian shops, green beans etc.
sometimes if i dont have ampalaya i still cook pinakbet..

for sahog - sometimes i use pork, dried fish or squid etc.

for seasoning-fish sauce and anchovy sauce or sauteed shrimpsoning mix or knorr veg cube, sea etc.

for tinola- same above, i just buy the sayote in the asian shop the rest like chicken green beans, ginger etc you can find them anywhere, then add fish sauce and some seasoning:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Thanks LadyJ, I understand the fruits of calamansi (lime in UK) are usually green but if left to ripen become yellow. I've only had it a few months and I'm hoping there will be more fruit next summer when we will know if it's calamansi or lemon....you may be right ! Either way, they're both good for Vitamin C and treating the common cold :)
I'd love to grow lemon as well, is't easy though?

Doc Alan
4th February 2010, 23:43
I'd love to grow lemon as well, is't easy though?

It's not easy :rolleyes:
They need sunlight and I really believe they're best indoors or in a heated greenhouse, minimum 16 degrees.
If you're patient you can grow citrus fruit from seeds but best to buy a carefully chosen healthy plant at least a few inches tall, use correct compost and "Baby Bio" citrus food; don't over water; you will get perfumed white flowers and hopefully fruit:)
Mango : clean the stone ("seed"), carefully take a slice off the coating with a sharp knife, put it (cut edge downwards) in compost, you will get a beautiful plant but no fruit.:NoNo:
Avocado : suspend the stone ("seed") over water in a narrow-necked jar until it roots. Transfer to compost ; you will again get a beautiful plant but no fruit.:NoNo:
Papaya : plant the black seeds individually ; some will grow into plants looking like palm trees ...but again no fruit :NoNo:
Pineapple : you can grow a plant from the sliced top of the fruit; it may take several weeks to root, another nice plant, but .. you've guessed it! no fruit:NoNo:
All of this is good fun especially if you like the fruit , and you know it's good for you!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Arthur Little
5th February 2010, 01:11
Hi Arthur, well balut is a one of the Phils delicacy. It's a baby chick inside. well ask your wifey if you want to know more:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Yeah ... thanks, Anne ... have done! And now that I've been acquainted with the [main] "ingredient(s)" in gory detail I can well-understand why you've developed an aversion to it! :vomit-smiley-011:

fred
5th February 2010, 03:17
I could never understand how Filipino`s could miss stuff like Red ribbon cakes and Dunkin Donuts!! Just go to any high street bakery in the UK and buy some real cream pastries and real bread,proper donuts etc...Take them home and add half a bag of sugar!!
I would wager they still taste better than some of the mush they serve up here in P.I!!
Apart from that I cant really think of Filipino dishes that cannot be prepared in the U.K after shopping around a bit.. Except perhaps balut thank goodness!!

jane2009
5th February 2010, 09:20

hey sis,
u can buy pakbet ingredients in the market( here in our place every saturday) u can buy, ampalaya,kalabasa,okra,sitaw and more...and if u have filipino store u can buy suited bagoong....and its perpect for penakbet...hehehhe...anyway..i saw u came from hampshire where about? because in porchester its loads there....

mhynne
5th February 2010, 09:32
jane2009 i live in bordon hampshire. where in porchester sis?

Doc Alan
5th February 2010, 10:25
The more I look at my "calamansi" tree , the more I think I've been sold a "lemon":NoNo: You can buy limes and lemons cheaply enough in UK but it's more fun to grow your own ! :Erm:especially if you don't know what the fruit is going to be:)

Stuana
5th February 2010, 14:01
Lapid's chicharon
Andok's lechong manok
rootbeer...

mhynne
5th February 2010, 21:38
Stuana i have seen a&w rootbeers being sold here.. look out for them on the big asian stores.. i got mine from Wing Yip croydon

abbygirl
6th February 2010, 20:33
I miss lots of Filipino food, and it's not only the lack of ingredients, it's also because his mom and dad make all of the food, so I don't really have an option at all. So, it's the same stuff, every day of the week. Ay nako! I can't wait until I can cook for us! And I can't wait until we don't eat so many potatoes!

aryM
6th February 2010, 21:55

I remember my fiances' face after eating balut with my father :rolleyes: he really doesn't like it. But He wants me to bring one this April for her mum.:BouncyHappy: