PDA

View Full Version : Does this sound like a scam?

Pete67
4th February 2010, 14:51
Hello everyone, just got an email from my friend in Phils -

Hi hun... How are you today? Its nice and im happy to hear you...it makes me smile here...how i wish im with you now...and that makes me really happy... Few days from now..our class will start... my love pete... I know your situation there...and i dont want to give trouble with you now.. Or headache... Theres something bad happened to me here hun which i dont expect that it will gonna happened. im using again the phone of my friend to mail you... My love...to tell you honestly and god knows... Im here in the hospital right now.. awhile ago while walking the dog bite me... nobody owns that dog... I even didnt notice that dog is there while im walking.. i need to have injection as soon as possible my love for anti rabbies.. My parents knew about it... And i gave headache to them...coz the anti rabbies is very expensive.. Im so afraid my love..its my 1st time to experience this thing... Hun...im so sorry for giving you headache... our money here is not enough for my anti rabbies,. If you will let me my love... Can i lend 6 thousand pesos to you? I guess it 100 euro.. Coz our money here is not enought.. We need to earn 35 thousand for it... My love...i promise you and keep my word...and god is our witness that im going to pay you back this coming feb 28 the 100 euro.. I just need it so badly... I hate myself coz im not aware of that dog... I cause trouble to my parents for the expenses.. But its still not enough...i also ask help to my friends here my pete... My love..i dont want to die..because of that rabbies..im scared hun...plsss help me my love... Im begging help to this moment... Hun..i hope you dont get wrong about this matter...i dont know where to go to ask some help..coz i already ask to my friend but its still not enough... Im sorry hun for this headache that i brought you...im so ashame to you but i dont have choice... pls help me to pray also...

Love and care,
Always your xxxxx who cause you headache

I mean this sounds really dodgy, no name of hospital, and how would she get the 100 euros...

Thanks friends..

aidaaida
4th February 2010, 14:58
Ask her to send you a photo of her in hospital showing the dog bite, Say it is because you may be able to claim on your insurance, or something like that, not possible I know but she probably would not know that.

Pete67
4th February 2010, 14:59
Hey good idea, thanks...

jam07
4th February 2010, 15:05
I dont feel good about that... anti-rabies will not cost you 35k! I know this because I have a shot of anti-rabies last year. It costs me less than 3 thousand... have you tried calling her?

Englishman2010
4th February 2010, 15:07
I'm not saying she isn't genuine, but just be careful. I have friends who have had Filipina g/fs in the past and they say they have been regularly asked for money for this sort of thing, other common requests are:
Sick grandparent/parent/brother/sister/child...etc and they wont let them out of hospital until the bill is paid.
Need medication for themselves for an illness
Need money for a family party / xmas / easter ..etc
Need money hole in roof after a storm
Need money for a flight to travel to see a relative
....etc,etc

If you've not read it, I suggest you read 'Private Dancer' by Stephen Leather. It's free and can be downloaded on line. Although it's set in Thailand, i suspect that many of the tricks and scams are used across much of Asia and probably beyond. It's a thoroughly good read, I couldn't put it down and read it all in two nights.

triple5
4th February 2010, 15:08
I presume you've never even met her, you refer to as "my friend" but she calls you "My love". Amazing how sweet they can be when they want something.

I'd be very surprised if this isn't a scam. Ask her how she plans to pay you back :D

keithAngel
4th February 2010, 15:25
double post

keithAngel
4th February 2010, 15:31
Sounds dodgy are you already contributing? whats the 35000 about ?

Arthur Little
4th February 2010, 15:32

Hi hun... How are you today? Its nice and im happy to hear you...it makes me smile here...how i wish im with you now...and that makes me really happy... Few days from now..our class will start... my love pete... I know your situation there...and i dont want to give trouble with you now.. Or headache... Theres something bad happened to me here hun which i dont expect that it will gonna happened. im using again the phone of my friend to mail you... My love...to tell you honestly and god knows... Im here in the hospital right now.. awhile ago while walking the dog bite me... nobody owns that dog... I even didnt notice that dog is there while im walking.. i need to have injection as soon as possible my love for anti rabbies.. My parents knew about it... And i gave headache to them...coz the anti rabbies is very expensive.. Im so afraid my love..its my 1st time to experience this thing... Hun...im so sorry for giving you headache... our money here is not enough for my anti rabbies,. If you will let me my love... Can i lend 6 thousand pesos to you? I guess it 100 euro.. Coz our money here is not enought.. We need to earn 35 thousand for it... My love...i promise you and keep my word...and god is our witness that im going to pay you back this coming feb 28 the 100 euro.. I just need it so badly... I hate myself coz im not aware of that dog... I cause trouble to my parents for the expenses.. But its still not enough...i also ask help to my friends here my pete... My love..i dont want to die..because of that rabbies..im scared hun...plsss help me my love... Im begging help to this moment... Hun..i hope you dont get wrong about this matter...i dont know where to go to ask some help..coz i already ask to my friend but its still not enough... Im sorry hun for this headache that i brought you...im so ashame to you but i dont have choice... pls help me to pray also...

Love and care,

I mean this sounds really dodgy, no name of hospital, and how would she get the 100 euros...

Thanks friends..

I strongly suspect that this is part of an elaborate and cleverly-conceived SCAM, Pete. :rolleyes: But, it's one you can "play along with" ... WITHOUT parting with a penny! Instead of sending ANY money, advise your "friend" to contact a social worker who will, in turn, be able to liaise with the Department of Health in order to arrange an anti-rabies vaccination at a Government Hospital FREE OF CHARGE ... unlike in a Private Hospital where treatment WOULD be expensive! :REGamblMoney01HL1:

And, may I conclude, with a stark reminder of the old adage: "With friends like these ... who needs enemies???" :cwm24:

cheeky
4th February 2010, 15:33
i was scratch by a cat last december when i was in manila for xmas and I was rushed to the hospital coz i was bleeding. the hospital charged me 50,000 pesos for anti rabies together with tetanus toxoid and not only that they ask me to have another injection after one week for anti rabies but its another payment again..even knowing i wasn't bitten its just that the claws hit one of my vein but the doctor said its the hospital protocol...so guys be careful with the dogs or cats in the philippines it cost alot.

Doc Alan
4th February 2010, 16:15
Whether or not this is a scam, the incubation period for rabies is usually months, so apart from cleaning the wound there's time to obtain more information, with little immediate risk of her dying (it causes several hundred deaths every year in Philippines). But if it's genuine, and she's not been immunized before, she still needs rabies vaccine (5 doses over a month) and immunoglobulin (once) as soon as possible .

Tonet
4th February 2010, 17:07
i was scratch by a cat last december when i was in manila for xmas and I was rushed to the hospital coz i was bleeding. the hospital charged me 50,000 pesos for anti rabies together with tetanus toxoid and not only that they ask me to have another injection after one week for anti rabies but its another payment again..even knowing i wasn't bitten its just that the claws hit one of my vein but the doctor said its the hospital protocol...so guys be careful with the dogs or cats in the philippines it cost alot.

50,000 pesos?????:yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes:

What a rip-off that is!!!! they must have saw you as a walking big dollar note???? You always have choice to say no to what they say or you can also go somewhere else coz its you who is paying for it. coz if you just agree they know you have money to spend and willing to pay so they will tell you, you need this, you need that.

It cost me 1,500 pesos for anti-tetanus and anti-rabies before but its on a public hospital, i just need to buy the injection myself...

Tonet
4th February 2010, 17:11

Love and care,

Thanks friends..

of course its a scam:doh... did you notice? she even researched how much it would be in euro???

Pete67
4th February 2010, 17:14
Sounds dodgy are you already contributing? whats the 35000 about ?

Hi, I presume she means it's 35k pesos for the treatment, but is only asking me for part of it, clever that..

Pete67
4th February 2010, 17:19
I've emailed her back with reassurance about incubation period, and advice about the social worker. I have contributed a bit, total 50.00gbp over the last few months, see what happens now really. thanks for all the good advice, it's got to be scam really?

Arthur Little
4th February 2010, 17:42
I've emailed her back with reassurance about incubation period, and advice about the social worker. I have contributed a bit, total 50.00gbp over the last few months, see what happens now really. thanks for all the good advice, it's got to be scam really?

MY advice to YOU is ... be ULTRA-CAUTIOUS from hereon-in, and ... DON'T send this scamster another iota; in fact, get shot :NEW3: of her PRONTO ... even to the extent of changing your email address if she persists in contacting you!

aromulus
4th February 2010, 17:47
it's got to be scam really?

Yeah.... A good, old fashioned, bona fide, scam....:doh

cheeky
4th February 2010, 17:48
makati medical center cost lol...lucky i have insurance to cover it up lol...

Pete67
4th February 2010, 19:46
Thanks for the advice guys, good lesson learnt for me I think.

Jamesey
4th February 2010, 19:58
Almost definitely a scam.

If you do pay, next time it will be "Grandma is sick", then "Carabao is die", then "house caught fire", then......

If you think she is serious and want to pursue it, ask for some information from the hospital, which doctor is treating her, etc.

ca143
4th February 2010, 20:32

50,000?that is the cost of PHYSICAL EXAMINATION on Mkti Med.i have a swedish friend did it march last year....

keithAngel
4th February 2010, 21:28
I strongly suspect that this is part of an elaborate and cleverly-conceived SCAM,

Heh Arthur I think thats over egging it this kind of thing is bottom end run of the mill stuff the expert level would involve many thousands of pounds and make sure you were emotionally hooked first and would never dream any thing was happening, This is simple survival level testing the water and unhoned she may even be a nice lady :xxgrinning--00xx3:

joebloggs
4th February 2010, 23:01
It cost me 1,500 pesos for anti-tetanus and anti-rabies before but its on a public hospital, i just need to buy the injection myself...

yes tonet :xxgrinning--00xx3: you just need to buy the medicine, and the rest should be free, there are hospitals that deal just in infectious diseases - RITM in Alabang and one in Manila the medicine should cost around what you said for an anti-rabies jab.

Steve.r
5th February 2010, 00:11
I might be daft for thinking this, but I always thought that Rabies was incurable...........am I wrong ?? :Help1:

Arthur Little
5th February 2010, 00:31
I might be daft for thinking this, but I always thought that Rabies was incurable...........am I wrong ?? :Help1:

:NoNo: ... now that I come to think about it ... I did too ... so you could well be RIGHT in believing rabies was/is incurable!

keithAngel
5th February 2010, 00:34

Your right bit like forums :omg:

Arthur Little
5th February 2010, 00:38
Your right bit like forums :omg:

:D ... "bit" being the operative word in the former context - SNAP!

Doc Alan
5th February 2010, 00:41

The rabies virus travels to the brain by following nerves. This incubation period usually takes a few months. Once the virus gets to the brain and symptoms show, yes , it's untreatable and is usually fatal in days:omg:
There are over 50,000 deaths a year , mostly in Asia and Africa.
However, there ARE safe and effective vaccines:) So-called pre-exposure prophylaxis (prevention) requires 3 doses (+ possible booster).
So-called post-exposure prophylaxis is also effective (vaccine alone or with immunogloblulin depending on circumstances) if given as soon as possible and before symptoms appear.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Arthur Little
5th February 2010, 00:49
The rabies virus travels to the brain by following nerves. This incubation period usually takes a few months. Once the virus gets to the brain and symptoms show, yes , it's untreatable and is usually fatal in days:omg:
There are over 50,000 deaths a year , mostly in Asia and Africa.
However, there ARE safe and effective vaccines:) So-called pre-exposure prophylaxis (prevention) requires 3 doses (+ possible booster).
So-called post-exposure prophylaxis is also effective (vaccine alone or with immunogloblulin depending on circumstances) if given as soon as possible and before symptoms appear.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

:68711_thanx: once again, Alan ... for sharing your expert medical and professional knowledge with us [laymen]. It's gratefully appreciated, my friend. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

aryM
5th February 2010, 04:04

Love and care,

Thanks friends..

Hello Pete! I agree with Jam, anti rabies does not cost 35 thousand here, especially in government owned hospitals. Or even in private hospitals, i don't think it will reach that much. I can really sense that something fishy is going on. I have heard lots of scam stories here and most doing it are homosexual individuals (no offense please, i don't mean all of them), they tell lots of sad stories and they even use young ladies just to pose for them in webcams. It so sad that 'till now there are Filipinos doing it and its so annoying. One way to stop scams like that is for you and other foreign people experiencing these to ignore them and by not providing whatever they want especially if they ask for money.

Pete67
5th February 2010, 08:06
Hello Pete! I agree with Jam, anti rabies does not cost 35 thousand here, especially in government owned hospitals. Or even in private hospitals, i don't think it will reach that much. I can really sense that something fishy is going on. I have heard lots of scam stories here and most doing it are homosexual individuals (no offense please, i don't mean all of them), they tell lots of sad stories and they even use young ladies just to pose for them in webcams. It so sad that 'till now there are Filipinos doing it and its so annoying. One way to stop scams like that is for you and other foreign people experiencing these to ignore them and by not providing whatever they want especially if they ask for money.

Thanks AryM, and no offence taken whatsoever, thanks for your directness, I did email yesterday asking for name of hospital etc, it's now early pm in Phils, no answer, be interested in seeing now if I get one. Probably along the lines of "it's ok I tested negative, am alright now" then a few days later maybe it will be much smaller amount for something else...