PDA

View Full Version : for british husbands :)

maria_and_matt
22nd February 2010, 14:38
we are going back home in july for a month, question is, what would you call reasonable spending money over there? my hubby and i were talking about our previous trips and the money we have spent on each trip, and i was like:yikes::yikes:...... i didnt realize my spending was that much:icon_lol: i want to be fair on hubby this time, well i will certainly try to:icon_lol:

aromulus
22nd February 2010, 14:47
didnt realize my spending was that much:icon_lol: i want to be fair on hubby this time,

By not going with him...???:Erm:

:D

maria_and_matt
22nd February 2010, 14:49
By not going with him...???:Erm:

:D

:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol: or he can stay here and look after our dog!

IainBusby
22nd February 2010, 18:31
we are going back home in july for a month, question is, what would you call reasonable spending money over there? my hubby and i were talking about our previous trips and the money we have spent on each trip, and i was like:yikes::yikes:...... i didnt realize my spending was that much:icon_lol: i want to be fair on hubby this time, well i will certainly try to:icon_lol:

What is a resonable amount of spending money when your going back to Phils in my experience depends largely on what your family expect of you and how understanding they are. There is always an expectation with regard to pasalubong when you go back but over and above that it depends largely on both what you want to do while your there yourselves and also how much you will be expected to treat the family.

keithAngel
22nd February 2010, 18:42
where you stay and eat could have the biggest impact:xxgrinning--00xx3:

maria_and_matt
22nd February 2010, 19:39
What is a resonable amount of spending money when your going back to Phils in my experience depends largely on what your family expect of you and how understanding they are. There is always an expectation with regard to pasalubong when you go back but over and above that it depends largely on both what you want to do while your there yourselves and also how much you will be expected to treat the family.

the pasalubong is taken care of, its just the amount i spend there, when my hubby told me, i thought it was a bit excessive:NoNo: i do not do anything spectacular.... i just dont get how i spent all that money on a single trip:Brick:

Sim11UK
22nd February 2010, 20:41
Are you staying with family, or in Hotels etc.? :Erm:

maria_and_matt
22nd February 2010, 20:56
Are you staying with family, or in Hotels etc.? :Erm:

hotels, my hubby likes to relax at night, and we all love our hot showers...

RickyR
22nd February 2010, 21:33
25 php for a Grande San Mig :-) Ten of those a day for hubbie and he'll be fine, 250 php per day :-) No need for anything else.

nigel
22nd February 2010, 21:38
Be fair and let him have that holiday in Japan(or wherever) he always wanted (sometime)...we don't want our holiday to be Philippines every time..:rolleyes:

maria_and_matt
22nd February 2010, 21:38
25 php for a Grande San Mig :-) Ten of those a day for hubbie and he'll be fine, 250 php per day :-) No need for anything else.

i wish that was true:icon_lol::icon_lol:

Jamesey
22nd February 2010, 21:57
It depends what you want to do. I'm always amazed at how much stuff you can see and do in the Philippines cheaply compared to other countries. A holiday there is definitely good value!

We don't usually stay in fancy hotels or waste our money on silly things, but we always make sure that we've got enough money to do what we want.

There would be nothing worse than getting home and regretting not doing something on grounds of cost.

KeithD
22nd February 2010, 22:27
Spend what the hell you like, hubby can't say anything till you get back then it's too late anyway :D

maria_and_matt
22nd February 2010, 23:01
Spend what the hell you like, hubby can't say anything till you get back then it's too late anyway :D

:icon_lol::icon_lol: i feel guilty already, i wish i didnt ask how much i spent the last time we were home

RickyR
23rd February 2010, 09:00
As has been said; it's so easy to spend a lot in the Philippines, but then its very easy to spend a little. You can live well or you can live luxuriously

maria_and_matt
23rd February 2010, 13:04
Be fair and let him have that holiday in Japan(or wherever) he always wanted (sometime)...we don't want our holiday to be Philippines every time..:rolleyes:

i asked him where he wants to go and he told me wherever i want to go is ok with him:icon_lol:

belfast_dude
23rd February 2010, 22:00
i notice no one has typed a figure...i will bring £2000....but i need to get things when i am there...visa stuff

maria_and_matt
23rd February 2010, 22:12
i notice no one has typed a figure...i will bring £2000....but i need to get things when i am there...visa stuff

finally a figure :icon_lol::icon_lol: i really must start looking at what i spend when i am on holiday coz i am way off 2k:NoNo:

South-east boy
23rd February 2010, 22:34
finally a figure :icon_lol::icon_lol: i really must start looking at what i spend when i am on holiday coz i am way off 2k:NoNo:

You spent way more than £2k?! :omg::omg:

maria_and_matt
23rd February 2010, 22:35
You spent way more than £2k?! :omg::omg:

yeah SEB way more:NoNo:

JimOttley
24th February 2010, 00:11
yeah SEB way more:NoNo:

:yikes: How long was the holiday?

darren-b
24th February 2010, 09:26

You can't look at someone elses figure and think that yours is unreasonable without knowing how your trips compared.

We went to the Philippines last year for a month and spent way more than £2k. But that included a stopoff in Singapore on the way, a few days in Boracay, hotels all the time, and a hire car for some of the time. Also my wife hadn't seen her family for almost 2 years so she did treat them whilst we were there.

pennybarry
24th February 2010, 09:34
My husband is like Santa Claus if he's on holidays and I'm bit of tight as everything is budgeted. Hubby is a one day millionaire and I am opposite so I prefer to go alone. :D

maria_and_matt
24th February 2010, 11:07
:yikes: How long was the holiday?

our last holiday was 3 weeks jim, and i spent the 4k cash i was given by my beloved, he paid for the hotels, and i also spent a little on our credit card:NoNo::NoNo: i am so bad, i am having to think of ways to cut down on mah spending :bigcry:

maria_and_matt
24th February 2010, 11:09
You can't look at someone elses figure and think that yours is unreasonable without knowing how your trips compared.

We went to the Philippines last year for a month and spent way more than £2k. But that included a stopoff in Singapore on the way, a few days in Boracay, hotels all the time, and a hire car for some of the time. Also my wife hadn't seen her family for almost 2 years so she did treat them whilst we were there.

i just needed a rough figure on how much others would spend, and asking friends and people here on the forum, makes me think there is something seriously wrong with me

maria_and_matt
24th February 2010, 11:10
My husband is like Santa Claws if he's on holidays and I'm bit of tight as everything is budgeted. Hubby is a one day millionaire and I am opposite so I prefer to go alone. :D

you have to give me tips on how to budget penny:bigcry:

triple5
24th February 2010, 12:08
I'm going for a couple of months, and hoping I can get by on about £500 a month, but we'll see :D

KeithD
24th February 2010, 12:29
i am having to think of ways to cut down on mah spending :bigcry:
From a guys point of view (and remember we don't understand women!) I'll take a stab in the dark here.... stop buying stuff!! :doh :rolleyes:

Arthur Little
24th February 2010, 12:46
My husband is like Santa Claws if he's on holidays and I'm bit of tight as everything is budgeted. Hubby is a one day millionaire and I am opposite so I prefer to go alone. :D

Santa "Claws", Penn ... you mean like THIS? :bluegrab: ... no wonder he's a 1-day millionaire!

pennybarry
24th February 2010, 12:48
you have to give me tips on how to budget penny:bigcry:

I usually send Balikbayan box 2 months before my holiday. Ask them what they want and try to buy.
What I have saved + hubby additional is what I need to budget as I don't want to be in debt before or after my holidays. Husband will help but as much as possible, I don't want to ask.
I have my own in Pinas so no need hotel or other bills.
My expenses is only SM for groceries and meat.
I usually have my two sisters with me at SM and told them our budget for today is not sky is the llimit. :icon_lol:
No need to buy veggies and rice as we have loads of them at farm.

Goodluck on your holiday Maria. You are so lucky :)
I am planning to have my holiday in Rome on July or September.
spend my Christmas in Pinas if no worry. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

pennybarry
24th February 2010, 13:03
Santa "Claws", Penn ... you mean like THIS? :bluegrab: ... no wonder he's a 1-day millionaire!

Thanks Arth! When husband had 2 months holiday in Pinas, he was like Santa Claus. He said very cheap commodities so he didn't stop buying.:cwm23:
He fancied buying knives.:omg: It was scary because he was sharpening those knives oftentimes.:doh I remember my dad because he also used to sharp his farm knives early in the morning. Until hubby has collections of about 20 knives and the sounds of knives sharpening became music to my ears. :icon_lol: He doesn't allow me to sleep in the afternoon as he always wanted to go to SM, market, and walking around. But if he's sharpening his knives, I have time for sleeping.:BouncyHappy:
In the UK he can only drink 4 bottles of beer, and he has collections of beer grande in the Philippines. :doh

maria_and_matt
24th February 2010, 13:55
From a guys point of view (and remember we don't understand women!) I'll take a stab in the dark here.... stop buying stuff!! :doh :rolleyes:

its like telling us women not to breath:icon_lol:

maria_and_matt
24th February 2010, 13:57
I usually send Balikbayan box 2 months before my holiday. Ask them what they want and try to buy.
What I have saved + hubby additional is what I need to budget as I don't want to be in debt before or after my holidays. Husband will help but as much as possible, I don't want to ask.
I have my own in Pinas so no need hotel or other bills.
My expenses is only SM for groceries and meat.
I usually have my two sisters with me at SM and told them our budget for today is not sky is the llimit. :icon_lol:
No need to buy veggies and rice as we have loads of them at farm.

Goodluck on your holiday Maria. You are so lucky :)
I am planning to have my holiday in Rome on July or September.
spend my Christmas in Pinas if no worry. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

you're lucky, rome is so nice... i wouldnt mind going back there again

maria_and_matt
24th February 2010, 13:58
I'm going for a couple of months, and hoping I can get by on about £500 a month, but we'll see :D

goodluck on that :icon_lol::icon_lol:

aposhark
24th February 2010, 18:44

So that's the secret for a successful marriage, now I know.
Don't spend all your money boss - the reds will need a sub when the yanks leg it :) :)

MarBell379
25th February 2010, 19:27
You spent £4000 in 3 weeks in the Philippines without paying for accomodation and travel there and back???
Did I misunderstand? Did you mean 4000 PHP?

Unless you have a suitcase like a TARDIS I can't imagine getting close to £4000.

maria_and_matt
25th February 2010, 19:43
You spent £4000 in 3 weeks in the Philippines without paying for accomodation and travel there and back???
Did I misunderstand? Did you mean 4000 PHP?

Unless you have a suitcase like a TARDIS I can't imagine getting close to £4000.

i bought a LV bag, we went to cebu and bought yet another bag, i treat my family. it is not impossible to spend money you have. i had it in my hands shopped for nieces and nephew and bang it was gone. i do not think one can survive on 4000 PHP for 3 weeks:icon_lol:

maria_and_matt
25th February 2010, 19:48
Maria actually managed to spend £4,328 in 3 weeks.

Phil.

pennybarry
25th February 2010, 19:50
you're lucky, rome is so nice... i wouldnt mind going back there again

Yes, seen your photos in Rome.
You're lucky as you're holding Philippines passport but big time, can fly anywhere and applying visa is not a problem. :D

triple5
25th February 2010, 19:51
i do not think one can survive on 4000 PHP for 3 weeks

a lot of filipinos manage to :Erm:

pennybarry
27th February 2010, 09:56
a lot of filipinos manage to :Erm:

You are exactly right but if you think how many stuffs you can buy with your 4,000 pesos in Pinas, and 56.8841 GBP here then you may become considerate.:D
I bought 2 sweet corn for 1 pound + in Pinas a pound can buy 5 kilos.
1 mango for 80 p
and many more.

And they can sleep good at night.:xxgrinning--00xx3:
Most filipinos believes :
Pagkasyahin na lang ang budget para walang utang at ng masarap matulog ng mahimbing sa gabi kaysa makalbo sa pangungutang. :rolleyes:

aromulus
27th February 2010, 12:47
I bought 2 sweet corn for 1 pound + in Pinas a pound can buy 5 kilos.:rolleyes:

How can anyone eat 5Kgs of sweet corn...?:Erm:

Florge
27th February 2010, 17:12
well, a good way to budget your spending is to plan where you want and the activities that you plan to do in the 3 weeks there... i usually put them in an excel sheet so it's easier to compute... put the dates on the left side.. then the estimated cost of a certain activity we plan to do for that day... then print it and have it as my guide...

you can also settle for a certain amount of spending money per day.. e.g. £100 per day and if you go over that, at least you would know...

Florge
27th February 2010, 17:15
You are exactly right but if you think how many stuffs you can buy with your 4,000 pesos in Pinas, and 56.8841 GBP here then you may become considerate.:D
1 mango for 80 p
and many more.

Pagkasyahin na lang ang budget para walang utang at ng masarap matulog ng mahimbing sa gabi kaysa makalbo sa pangungutang. :rolleyes:

agree! some balikbayans think that it is ok to spend for such and such even when not needed for believing that their money would go a long way anyway..well, wrong... when in pinas, spend like a filipino.. and that means, budgetted spending.. not splurging! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

maria_and_matt
27th February 2010, 18:47
1 mango for 80 p
and many more.

i am so pleased to say that even with my going over budget we do not owe money to anybody :icon_lol::icon_lol: i do stope spending hubby tells me to, only problem is he does not say anything

Florge
27th February 2010, 18:52
i am so pleased to say that even with my going over budget we do not owe money to anybody :icon_lol::icon_lol: i do stope spending hubby tells me to, only problem is he does not say anything

wow! good for you... got money to spend :xxgrinning--00xx3:splurge then.. and don't worry about going over the budget... you're so lucky!:)

maria_and_matt
27th February 2010, 19:18
wow! good for you... got money to spend :xxgrinning--00xx3:splurge then.. and don't worry about going over the budget... you're so lucky!:)

i do worry, dont want to dip in our nest egg.... i am sure i will be able to stick to budget in july.... i will be more 'aware' on what i spend..

pennybarry
13th March 2010, 08:23
How can anyone eat 5Kgs of sweet corn...?:Erm:
Con todo de familia señor.:icon_lol:

Me too Maria.:D
I am very thankful for not owing money to anyone.
Kasi di ako makatulog pag may utang.:bigcry:
cannot make hambog if utang.
Goodluck for your travel soon.

maria_and_matt
13th March 2010, 16:58
Con todo de familia señor.:icon_lol:

Me too Maria.:D
I am very thankful for not owing money to anyone.
Kasi di ako makatulog pag may utang.:bigcry:
cannot make hambog if utang.
Goodluck for your travel soon.

korek penny owing money is not the to live.... thank you i am looking forward to our trip:D

keithAngel
13th March 2010, 17:29
From another perspective I averaged over six months an average of 3000 piso a day but that was a total learning curve and I reckon its possible as a single guy or part of a sensible couple living what in the Phils would be an upper middle class life 1000 a day is doable without feeling deprived thats still 5 times average earnings but having uncrowded accomodation and still having some social life thats about what you might earn as a native speaking English teacher for example but as Al will tell you they expect there pound of flesh:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Sim11UK
14th March 2010, 07:41
That's interesting Keith. When I stayed for a couple of months, I reckoned we could live quite comfortably on 8000 php a week.
That was living in a small Boarding house, no aircon, eating out a lot, but also cooking at home.
I guess it's all down to your level of tolerance. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

keithAngel
14th March 2010, 12:28
I guess it all comes down to accomadation costs Sim Im working on 11,000 per month +or- for a 1 bed furnished if you were living long term you could get that halved unfurnished the more time your on the ground the more you can find good possabilities.:xxgrinning--00xx3: