PDA

View Full Version : Nationwide............

Alan
11th March 2010, 16:42
.............told me that my new debit card would take 10 days to arrive.

It arrived this p.m. - after 3 days!!

Credit where it's due - Brownie point to Nationwide!

Al.:)

johncar54
11th March 2010, 16:51
.............told me that my new debit card would take 10 days to arrive.

It arrived this p.m. - after 3 days!!

Credit where it's due - Brownie point to Nationwide!

Al.:)

From your other post I think you want to rent a car. From my experiences, a debit card is not acceptable, they require a Credit Card. But good luck Alan.

triple5
11th March 2010, 19:49
Been with nationwide myself for a few years now, and have to say their service is very good compared to other banks I've been with :xxgrinning--00xx3:

mistermatty
11th March 2010, 20:19
Well it could be of interest to some here but Nationwide are stopping there Cirus based cashcard from being used overseas !!!

Englishman2010
11th March 2010, 21:14
I've banked and been mortgaged with Nationwide since 1987 and never had a complaint about them. I dont get charged or ripped off for using my debit or credit cards abroad and I always seem to get the best exchange rates too.
First class in my opinion :xxgrinning--00xx3:

johncar54
12th March 2010, 08:09
Well it could be of interest to some here but Nationwide are stopping there Cirrus based cash-card from being used overseas !!!

Mister Matty, I should be grateful if you would post an internet address where we can read up on this. I did a check on the Nationwide site and could not find anything about it. Maybe it's too early in the morning for me !!!!!

As far as I know, THEIR VISA CASH CARD (NOT DEBIT CARD) is fine, still free at Nationwide and free in Philippines as long as an ATM with VISA SYMBOL ic used. Other banks, BPI, Metro-bank etc charge 3.40$ US, so avoid them.

There is a web site which shows where visa ATMs are worldwide. If you show the country and the town/city it will show where the VISA ATMs are:- http://visa.via.infonow.net/locator/global/

mistermatty
12th March 2010, 18:27
Mister Matty, I should be grateful if you would post an internet address where we can read up on this. I did a check on the Nationwide site and could not find anything about it. Maybe it's too early in the morning for me !!!!!

As far as I know, THEIR VISA CASH CARD (NOT DEBIT CARD) is fine, still free at Nationwide and free in Philippines as long as an ATM with VISA SYMBOL ic used. Other banks, BPI, Metro-bank etc charge 3.40$ US, so avoid them.

There is a web site which shows where visa ATMs are worldwide. If you show the country and the town/city it will show where the VISA ATMs are:- http://visa.via.infonow.net/locator/global/

There is no link on there website as yet , i have seen a copy of the letter sent to someone and it states that there NON debit card cash card wont be able to be used overseas from june 1 .

johncar54
12th March 2010, 18:56
There is no link on there website as yet , i have seen a copy of the letter sent to someone and it states that there NON debit card cash card wont be able to be used overseas from june 1 .

I believe the info which was issued said CASH CARDS would continue to be free but Debit Cards would incur a charge, maybe from June.

I have a CASH CARD which is used in Phil. I have not been informed of any change, so far ! (fingers are crossed)

mistermatty
12th March 2010, 20:22
I believe the info which was issued said CASH CARDS would continue to be free but Debit Cards would incur a charge, maybe from June.

I have a CASH CARD which is used in Phil. I have not been informed of any change, so far ! (fingers are crossed)

If its the cashcard that works on the cirus network than i am pretty sure thats the one they are cancelling .

Theres a scan of the letter on another forum of a more adult nature with regards to Asian travel.

johncar54
13th March 2010, 08:27
Mister Matty thanks, but can you either give a link of insert a larger view. I have tried to enlarge it but cannot read the letter.

Thanks

johncar54
14th March 2010, 18:21
I called Nationwide and yes as from June they are going to 'improve' the service, that's what they said, by 'upgrading' cash cards to debit cards, so they can be used at the point of sale and they will charge 1% for cash at ATM's outside Europe.

They said it was at the request of their customers. When I said no one had asked me, they said it was the result of a survey.

I told them I have a 2 debit cards and a gold credit card and that I don't want another debit card, and if I did I would have upgraded the card I had. The answer ' too bad'.

So from June the card I have in Phil will be open for use as, in effect a credit card. I do not want that as, although I trust the family member who has it, if it were lost I would be open to it being used until I could cancel it. If I could not trust the person who had it, then again it will be open to be used and unlike now, when I can control its use, by only transferring to that flex account, the amount of money I intent them to draw, in future I will not be able to do so.

Thanks Nationwide !!!!!!

keithAngel
14th March 2010, 23:20
John have a look at caxton stirling cards if that the currency your interested in they also have euro and dollars and you have control

http://www.caxtonfx.com/currency_cards/currency_cards.asp

johncar54
15th March 2010, 08:29
John have a look at caxton stirling cards if that the currency your interested in they also have euro and dollars and you have control

http://www.caxtonfx.com/currency_cards/currency_cards.asp

Thanks ieth, I will look further into that.

Does anyone have experience of using that card? I am interested to know what the overall 'cost' is. Thus starting in pounds sterling, drawing cash from an ATM in Phil, the exchange rate etc.

With Nationwide, it 'was' probably the best exchange rate, free issue, free replacement and free use in Phil and no charge to Flex Account.

mistermatty
15th March 2010, 08:48
I called Nationwide and yes as from June they are going to 'improve' the service, that's what they said, by 'upgrading' cash cards to debit cards, so they can be used at the point of sale and they will charge 1% for cash at ATM's outside Europe.

They said it was at the request of their customers. When I said no one had asked me, they said it was the result of a survey.

I told them I have a 2 debit cards and a gold credit card and that I don't want another debit card, and if I did I would have upgraded the card I had. The answer ' too bad'.

So from June the card I have in Phil will be open for use as, in effect a credit card. I do not want that as, although I trust the family member who has it, if it were lost I would be open to it being used until I could cancel it. If I could not trust the person who had it, then again it will be open to be used and unlike now, when I can control its use, by only transferring to that flex account, the amount of money I intent them to draw, in future I will not be able to do so.

Thanks Nationwide !!!!!!

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news ......i know many clients who are aghast at this descion and NONE of them participated in this so called NationWide survery .

fred
15th March 2010, 14:00
Nothing but problems with them..Took me 6 months to get my card in UK after numerous calls..Tried to use it once here and it didn't work..
Chucked it.

johncar54
15th March 2010, 14:13
This is the reply I got from Nationwide (it's so secret that they would only send it by the secret mail, so don't disclose any the delicate info. !!!!!!! Who do they think they are kidding ? )

May I suggest that everyone who thinks this is nuts, complains to Nationwide.

FROM NATIONWIDE

Dear Member,

Thank you for your message.

Nationwide has carried out a strategic review of its’ Basic Bank Account offering. In introducing these new cards we have given our customers the ability to pay for goods over the counter, on-line and over the telephone – all of which were unavailable on our old Cash Card. As such we have made the decision to remove the ability to withdraw cash from overseas cash machines. Consumer behaviour indicates that point of sale is more useful than the ability to withdraw from a cash machine. More than double the number of card transactions are carried out at point of sale rather than cash machines*. This change enables customers to transact in a way more consistent with modern spending habits. In addition, the majority of debit card customers (around 70%) use their cards at point of sale abroad rather than at cash machines. Also, our offering for the Basic Bank Account gives us an account which better matches the needs of the market.

*Based on industry figures – UK Plastic Cards 2009, Apacs

As a prudent organisation, Nationwide has to consider the wider picture of costs to the business. There are costs associated with paying the acquirer bank fees for cash withdrawals abroad. As a sensible business we want to make the best use of our members’ money. This is not a decision we have taken lightly, but we are confident that making minor changes to products will enable Nationwide to remain a strong and robust business in the current climate.
Regards,
Internet Services

My reply:-

I am sorry but this is rubbish. If a person wants/needs a Debit Card then that is the card they will opt for.

By abolishing Cash Cards, call that action by any name, but that is what you will be doing. You are seeking to save money, plain and simple. If a customer wants a Debit Card they can ask for one. If they ask for a Cash Card then that is what they want otherwise they would ask for a Debit or Credit card. Or do you think your customers are too stupid to be able to ask for what they want, because that is what your expalination amounts to?

So why not be honest and tell us that you want to save money at the expense of your long standing customers who just want a cash card?

Arthur Little
15th March 2010, 14:48
FROM NATIONWIDE

Dear Member,

More than double the number of card transactions are carried out at point of sale rather than cash machines*.

*Based on industry figures – UK Plastic Cards 2009, Apacs

I'M not a Nationwide customer ... neither am I a statistician :NoNo: ... but nonetheless, find this statement hard to believe!

johncar54
15th March 2010, 14:54
I'm not a Nationwide customer ... neither am I a statistician :NoNo: ... but nonetheless, find this statement hard to believe!

Hi Arthur. You just inspired my next email to Nationwide. "How many cash card transactions are carried out at point of sale ? None I guess.

keithAngel
15th March 2010, 18:03
John the costs are set out clearly the Exchange rates are very good compare the examples on there dollar and euro conversions I used the cards (two) last year for 6 months in the Phils at mostly metro banks and they never failed Fred seems to have had a different experience

I also used them online to book cebu pacific last year when visa wouldnt work and could load them by phone text or on line the money seems pretty instant:xxgrinning--00xx3:

I was also lucky to make a bit in 08-09 as i preloaded dollars at 1.90 befor the run down to 1.43 they didnt have the sterling card then

jonathan47
15th March 2010, 19:09
hello,
any one else concerened about peso exchange rate 62php - pound, when i started going to philippines it was 84php and have been told it was closer 100php before ! what i dont understand and perhaps soomeone can tell is why has there been a 40% drop over a number of years we are in a worldwide recession yet the pound is losing ground against the peso ! does that mean the money markets feel the philippines is a stronger economy than the uk ? ..what do you guys think about it living there in the philippines must be having an effect on your budgets assuming you have pensions etc in the uk...
sorry if highjacking the thread thought it was kinda related (well its about money) hehehe

regards

j & a

keithAngel
15th March 2010, 19:18
67.5 from a mate on the ground two days ago the whole exchange rate thing doesnt seem to have much ryme nor reason The Phils doesnt export much does buy oil and commodaties including rice theres an election going on power outs and the hard currency sent by overseas workers means they can support the peso as they like to suit there own goals Thai is similar

Where next roll the dice:Erm:

fred
16th March 2010, 00:15
hello,
any one else concerened about peso exchange rate 62php - pound, when i started going to philippines it was 84php and have been told it was closer 100php before ! what i dont understand and perhaps soomeone can tell is why has there been a 40% drop over a number of years we are in a worldwide recession yet the pound is losing ground against the peso ! does that mean the money markets feel the philippines is a stronger economy than the uk ? ..what do you guys think about it living there in the philippines must be having an effect on your budgets assuming you have pensions etc in the uk...
sorry if highjacking the thread thought it was kinda related (well its about money) hehehe

regards

j & a

It is definitely effecting Brit expats here..Im being told this all the time..If it goes even lower then occasionally some of them may have to re-evaluate their lives here..Things would certainly have to get very desperate for them to return to the UK however..(from what Im told)
Personally I am very fortunate that I have no need to change Pounds in order to live here..
My sister is on holiday with us here and she just changed up some cash..She got 68.50..
About 4/5 years ago it was hovering around 107.00.
The UK is really messed up and the world markets know it..
Thats why the Quid has dropped like a stone IMO.

keithAngel
16th March 2010, 11:31
I forgot interest rates are the other big factor:xxgrinning--00xx3:

joebloggs
16th March 2010, 12:02
About 4/5 years ago it was hovering around 107.00.

those were the days :rolleyes:........... :bigcry:

David House
16th March 2010, 12:19
The exchange rate has much more to do with the weakness of the pound than the strength of the peso. The British economy is in the biggest mess of all the majors and there has been a rush by overseas investors to sell the currency ahead of the election. The recent sharp decline has been caused by the fear of a hung parliament, which it now seems is a real possibility. Brown and his lot are continuing to play politics with the economy by suggesting that you can save money by not cutting services just yet. Not jam tomorrow this time, rather pain tomorrow. The public sector will have to bear the brunt of the severe cut backs, whichever shade of government we end up with, and public sector employees are likely to be seduced into voting for this argument thus the fear that the election result is not as clear cut as it once looked.
Uncertainty is the driver of fear so once the election is out of the way I would expect to see the decline reversed whatever the result is. Unless.......Brown said yesterday that he would not quit if he lost the election and hinted that in the event of a hung parliament might continue as a minority government and call another election. What would happen with exchange rates if that happened I cannot imagine, but it would not be good.
In the meantime just drink 10 SM's rather than 15. You know it makes sense.

keithAngel
16th March 2010, 12:30
Your right David that pain is comming but Im not sure any of us know how bad its going to be:yikes:

fred
16th March 2010, 14:48
In the meantime just drink 10 SM's rather than 15. You know it makes sense.
You mean 10 per day or is that per week?? Im starting to panic now.
This is me panicking!!

johncar54
17th March 2010, 08:42
Back to thread NATIONWIDE:

Their last reply did not attempt to answer any of the questions I raised.

I have not asked that the matter be referred to their CEO Graham Beale

I have also told them I am posting the exchanges here, so that their customers and potential customers will be aware of the reduction in choice and increase in cost they are about to impose on us.

If others who will be affected, boithe now and maybe in the future, also write to the CEO I think they may scrap the idea, but we will need to 'attract their attention.'

Watch this space !

johncar54
31st March 2010, 12:19
Please see this thread:-

Nationwide abolishing cash card for us !!!!

johncar54
1st April 2010, 07:24
See main post on Nationwide decision to ABOLISH CASH CARDS, and please email them, even if it will not assist you it will help many others, and that what most of us do best.

http://filipinaroses.com/showpost.php?p=213971&postcount=1

sars_notd_virus
2nd April 2010, 11:24
Private companies and banks can imply their policies whenever they want ..It'll just be the choice of every client to walk out or stay with them with the new incurred charges that they are implementing.
I have stated my comment about Nationwide on previous thread http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php?t=23358

johncar54
2nd April 2010, 13:15
I have stated my comment about Nationwide on previous thread http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php?t=23358

I have replied there too.

sars_notd_virus
2nd April 2010, 14:01

Survey?
..Private companies and banks can imply their policies whenever they want ...It is stated in every bankbook or contract u signed with them on the day you open an account which reads similar to this one (''The Bank may,without notice to the depositor,make such other rules and regulations,or amend these rules and regulations as it may deem necessary for the best interest of the Bank and its depositor/s provided such additions,alterations or amendments are not contrary to banking laws and the regulations of the central bank or the By-Laws of the Bank'')..

sars_notd_virus
2nd April 2010, 14:03
I have replied to to there too.

It'll just be the choice of every client to walk out or stay with them with the new incurred charges that they are implementing.

johncar54
2nd April 2010, 14:25
Survey?
..Private companies and banks can imply (maybe you mean impose) their policies whenever (however) they want ..................... .

I am sorry I seem to have failed to make myself sufficiently clear for you to understand me. As you do not indicate in your profile (other than that you live in PH) your background, it may be you are making assumptions based on companies not based in UK.

One might assume that all organisations, both private and public have at least some concern for the people to whom they provide a service. Normally, an organisation which relies for its profits on the goodwill / acceptance of those it serves, will not implement a policy which adversely affects those profits, and thus will amend an unpopular policy if the are told it is unacceptable. However, if their customers do not tell them what they would prefer they may not know what they want.

One way is to conduct a survey, however, if, as in this case, they rely upon a statistic which does not relate directly (in this case using statistics about the use of DEBIT CARDS to determine what holders of CASH CARDs want) unless people tell them what they prefer, they may not act in the best interests of their customers, which in turn may also mean, their own interests too.

However, as I have said elsewhere, if you do not want to assist those affected, that’s fine. In such case then I really do not see why you have chosen to appear to argue in favour of Nationwide’s actions.

sars_notd_virus
2nd April 2010, 14:43
Survey?
..Private companies and banks can imply (maybe you mean impose) their policies whenever (however) they want

Thank you for your excellent advice!!