PDA

View Full Version : Anyone planning to live in the Phils one day?

aposhark
16th March 2010, 15:06
Hi,

I am planning one day to live in the Phils when any children that we have are educated in the UK to a good level, or I get totally disillusioned with the UK lifestyle and stress levels.

Obviously we must have good savings beforehand to support us later and life insurance would be a must also.
We would have to monitor the exchange rates over the years too.

It is a long way off but I was wondering how many other people here want to live over there too?

Brgds :)

laurel
16th March 2010, 15:13
Ive been twice now, and seen the good and bad of the country to a point. Id be there like a shot tomorrow if I could, our plan is that when we are settled we will eventually like to split our time between here and the Phils.

Englishman2010
16th March 2010, 15:27
No plans to move to the Phils while I have small children in the Uk, am still working here and have a good job. If my situation changes for the worse in the future, I would consider it, or at least on a part time basis, but probably after retirement, which is still a long way off yet.

Sim11UK
16th March 2010, 15:33
Sometimes I think it would be better to live there when you are younger, then come back here when you are older....How you do it financially, I don't know? :Erm:

I'm a bit dubious of the notion...wait until you retire, we don't all get that far? :Erm:

aposhark
16th March 2010, 15:43
Ive been twice now, and seen the good and bad of the country to a point. Id be there like a shot tomorrow if I could, our plan is that when we are settled we will eventually like to split our time between here and the Phils.

Do you have any children or are you planning to have any, laurel?

aposhark
16th March 2010, 15:45
No plans to move to the Phils while I have small children in the Uk, am still working here and have a good job. If my situation changes for the worse in the future, I would consider it, or at least on a part time basis, but probably after retirement, which is still a long way off yet.

Do you think that paying for your childrens' education in the Phils would be a good idea, Englishman2010?

Doc Alan
16th March 2010, 15:47
I'm a bit dubious of the notion...wait until you retire, we don't all get that far? :Erm:
Hey, some of us have made it already :xxgrinning--00xx3:Keep taking the tablets !:xxgrinning--00xx3:

aposhark
16th March 2010, 15:52
Sometimes I think it would be better to live there when you are younger, then come back here when you are older....How you do it financially, I don't know? :Erm:

Good points, Sim11UK.
I suppose most of us work in the UK while we are "young" and can earn money when we are fit and able, to pay for retirement.
As it seems almost impossible to earn money in the Phils, it seems to me hard to go sooner rather than later?

laurel
16th March 2010, 16:18
Do you have any children or are you planning to have any, laurel?

Yes we both have kids..........there wont be any more:NoNo: we are waiting for a decision on the annulment and then we can move on

triple5
16th March 2010, 16:55
It's easy to fall in love with the place after a couple of weeks on holiday and think you could spend all year round there, thats why I'm off for a couple months in a few weeks. I want to dip my toe in the water a few times before I decide about spending the rest of my days out there. Besides, I have 2 kids here and it wouldnt be until they're grown up I'd make the move, something I see myself doing when I'm in my 40s. Ideally, like Laurel, I'd split my time between the two countries, perhaps spending summers here in the UK.

It's all about the finances though :rolleyes:

Englishman2010
16th March 2010, 17:05
Do you think that paying for your childrens' education in the Phils would be a good idea, Englishman2010?

It isn't an option for me. My ex wife will get custody of the children, and I also feel they will be better off with her as I work long hours and can't dedicate enough time to properly care for them during the week. I would not dream of taking them abroad and away from their mother either. I strongly believe that children need regular contact with both parents, so for that reason I am stuck here for a long time

Arthur Little
16th March 2010, 17:07
As another who has already 'made it' ... in terms of being retired, that is ... I'd have to say, "Sorry, count ME out!". And yes, having reached this elderly :olddude: stage of my life, I'm grateful for the existence of the British NHS. But there's an infinitely more important reason for my reluctance to uproot - one which I explained to another [middle-aged] British chap whom I befriended when I first visited the Phils in 2008, and who, having decided to remain there for the rest of his life ... tried, in vain, to entice me into doing likewise - and it's simply this: I couldn't bear the thought of being separated from my immediate family and miss watching my grandchildren grow up. :NoNo:

And last ... though not necessarily least ... I don't think my body would ever be able to adjust to either the constant humidity or the food (no offence!) - even though the people themselves are lovely!!

aposhark
16th March 2010, 17:11
......It's all about the finances though :rolleyes:

Yep, and the exchange rate :yikes:

My wife said it would be a good idea for us to keep some property in the UK in case it all went pear-shaped over there.

I think she is right. It is so difficult to come back and find somewhere to live again, especially knowing that any illness can be very costly over there if there is no health insurance :NoNo:

justchecking
16th March 2010, 17:15
I lived over there with my (now) husband and our daughter for 14 months - I managed a bit of luck part-time work and she went to a local private school (don't tell!) which was better than the state schools, but very unimaginative -we came back precisely to get her an internationally valued education - if I could have afforded it in the Philippines it would have meant staying in Manila - another no no! Living in the provines for the last 3.5months was great and I would go back, but I'd need transport and some livestock!!

My husband arrives here April 1st - hopefully until our daughter finishes her education as a minimum, but if he's unhappy we'll have to think again - maybe he could do half and half for a few years - we may end up there anyway - being a single mum for so long I don't have a mortgage and will be unlikely to own a property her, I don't have a brilliant pension - so depending on the exchange rate it may eventually be any easy (and happy) choice!!!

Arthur Little
16th March 2010, 17:19
Ideally, like Laurel, I'd split my time between the two countries, perhaps spending summers here in the UK.

:iagree: ... that's certainly a viable option ... IF I/WE could afford it!

aposhark
16th March 2010, 17:28
As another who has already 'made it' ... in terms of being retired, that is ... I'd have to say, "Sorry, count ME out!". And yes, having reached this elderly :olddude: stage of my life, I'm grateful for the existence of the British NHS. But there's an infinitely more important reason for my reluctance to uproot - one which I explained to another [middle-aged] British chap whom I befriended when I first visited the Phils in 2008, and who, having decided to remain there for the rest of his life ... tried, in vain, to entice me into doing likewise - and it's simply this: I couldn't bear the thought of being separated from my immediate family and miss watching my grandchildren grow up. :NoNo:

And last ... though not necessarily least ... I don't think my body would ever be able to adjust to either the constant humidity or the food (no offence!) - even though the people themselves are lovely!!

Hi Arthur,

Thanks for your comments.
I can understand where you're coming from.
My UK family is small (no children) and my children will be Fil-Brits so I am looking at all possibilities.
The imminent arrival of our first born is, at my tender age of 53, making me look at all possibilities. :Rasp:

jonnijon
16th March 2010, 17:33
At least you can afford to live on a pension in the Philippines,not so in the UK.

aposhark
16th March 2010, 17:37
I lived over there with my (now) husband and our daughter for 14 months - I managed a bit of luck part-time work and she went to a local private school (don't tell!) which was better than the state schools, but very unimaginative -we came back precisely to get her an internationally valued education - if I could have afforded it in the Philippines it would have meant staying in Manila - another no no! Living in the provines for the last 3.5months was great and I would go back, but I'd need transport and some livestock!!

My husband arrives here April 1st - hopefully until our daughter finishes her education as a minimum, but if he's unhappy we'll have to think again - maybe he could do half and half for a few years - we may end up there anyway - being a single mum for so long I don't have a mortgage and will be unlikely to own a property her, I don't have a brilliant pension - so depending on the exchange rate it may eventually be any easy (and happy) choice!!!

Hi justchecking.
Can you tell me how much a good education costs in the Phils?
Are there no internationally recognized schools outside Manila?

aposhark
16th March 2010, 17:41
At least you can afford to live on a pension in the Philippines,not so in the UK.

Hi jonnijon,
This has crossed my mind recently too :cwm24:

Arthur Little
16th March 2010, 17:47

:rolleyes: That's what my friend Peter told me. And he said I could even arrange to have my pension sent across from the UK! But even so ... :NoNo:

keithAngel
16th March 2010, 18:49
Heres a thought that may stimulate some if your mortgage is near to finished relocate to a good tourist spot if your not already let your house as a tourist let via an agent for the summer (High income)storing your very personal stuff and use the income to fund 6 months initialy in the phils to see if you like it If you do the next season add a winter let and bingo income sorted and max of six months to get it back.

Part two pick a stunning location in the Phils build three smallish decca type houses £25 k ish (or if funds allow a big one for you and several small apartments)apply for permanent residence 13a import a container of carefully chosen household effects with no duty most of which can be found free or near offer on free cycle etc furnish said houses install wireless internet and rent short term to guys from forums like this one at around 10-11000 piso a month plus electric whilst living in one of them (there is a dearth of reasonable priced short term foriegner freindly property) This way you will never be short of an interesting conversation something to do or a pot of marmite :icon_lol:

In time you might build more if demand is high or the properties could becomes homes for your kids there are spin offs like motor cycle rental and beer sales lol the part two is doable as a stand alone and could agument a pension you need to be gregarious of course

You do of course need to stay friends with the missus and in my case still find one lol as we cant own property there this way at all no matter what anyone says to the contrary also recieved wisdom says never settle on the same island as your fils family lol blah over:xxgrinning--00xx3:

jonnijon
16th March 2010, 19:39
Hi Arthur,
and the Philippines has a pension agreement with the UK,so your pension will increase in line with increases in the UK.Unlike the people who lost the court hearing today.

stevewool
16th March 2010, 19:44
well i am thinking of doing it in the future again its down to cost, hopefully rent over there till we know what and where we want to live, but in the mean time rent my home out in england too, that way if its not what we want then move back , to buy or not to buy thats the question , long term lease might be the other option, so much advice is given about cost and so on , who knows what the cost will be and they say live like a native but can we and do we , i think 400 a month without rent should be enough, any takers on that????

laurel
16th March 2010, 19:49
well i am thinking of doing it in the future again its down to cost, hopefully rent over there till we know what and where we want to live, but in the mean time rent my home out in england too, that way if its not what we want then move back , to buy or not to buy thats the question , long term lease might be the other option, so much advice is given about cost and so on , who knows what the cost will be and they say live like a native but can we and do we , i think 400 a month without rent should be enough, any takers on that????

I have been told 300-400 a month is sufficient for comfortable living, but im sure one mans comfort may not be the same for all..............

stevewool
16th March 2010, 19:53
what about clubbing together and buy a lot and build the biggest place and live in our own little commune

Doc Alan
16th March 2010, 20:06
As another who has already 'made it' ... I'm grateful for the existence of the British NHS... I couldn't bear the thought of being separated from my immediate family and miss watching my grandchildren grow up. :NoNo:

... I don't think my body would ever be able to adjust to either the constant humidity or the food (no offence!) - even though the people themselves are lovely!!

This thread and the responses really strike a serious chord with me. We've just suffered a dreadful cold winter here in the UK, and other threads discuss "Broken Britain". I have over 30 years of interest and affection for the Philippines and Malaysia since working there. Yet I don't want to live there permanently, for similar reasons to Arthur. I do have a girlfriend in Manila. But I want to make sure she really wants to live here, and this sort of discussion should rightly go on between all couples from UK and Philippines in serious relationships :xxgrinning--00xx3:

keithAngel
16th March 2010, 20:09
lots of variables but supposing two people outside of rent power can be 1000 - 4000 depending on your use of aircon internet 1000 water 250 transport all to do with location and choices like car or motor bike or taxi and trike jeepny

what you buy to eat is another big factor imported food eats into your budjet

you will also find you spend much more early on till you have settled in

£400 is doable if you dont try to much to transfer lifestyles from here to there its finding the balance and it takes a bit of time I reckon from my own experience between 18 months and two years to reach my equilibriam you can of course live on a lot less if you have to but would you want to Prof Al should be able to offer good upto date info on this as hes been doing it the last couple of years its also very different if your busy and occupied or trying to fill your time that always ups the budjet:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Sim11UK
16th March 2010, 20:21
Hey, some of us have made it already :xxgrinning--00xx3:Keep taking the tablets !:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Which ones, the homeopathic ones??? :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Sim11UK
16th March 2010, 20:32
I couldn't bear the thought of being separated from my immediate family and miss watching my grandchildren grow up. :NoNo:

Arthur, what about Myrna's immediate family?
I'm not having a go at you, but sometimes we just seem to expect to drag our other halves, from the other side of the globe, to over here.

My wife absolutely loves the Philippines, she dosen't want to leave it really. :NoNo:

Like many here, ideally I'd love to be able to spend time between the two. :)

keithAngel
16th March 2010, 20:53
Im still looking for the wealthy Filipina thats drop dead georgeous and owns a brewery but in the mean time my guess is the vast majority would like to live in the Phils whilst having the reletively secure lifestyle of the west me to:icon_lol:

pennybarry
16th March 2010, 21:17
Hi,

I am planning one day to live in the Phils when any children that we have are educated in the UK to a good level, or I get totally disillusioned with the UK lifestyle and stress levels.

Obviously we must have good savings beforehand to support us later and life insurance would be a must also.
We would have to monitor the exchange rates over the years too.

It is a long way off but I was wondering how many other people here want to live over there too?

Brgds :)

We would love to move there so we are not living in a dream anymore. :bigcry:

Depends upon the place Arth:D. Try Baguio, Tagaytay, Majayjay and you will not feel the humidity. :xxgrinning--00xx3:
My friend bought a farm in Majayjay and really love the place. http://www.costalesnaturefarms.com/ be back there soon!

Hi justchecking.
Can you tell me how much a good education costs in the Phils?
Are there no internationally recognized schools outside Manila?

Hi Apo! Brent International school is outside Manila. It is in Biñan Laguna, about 15 km. away from our city Santa Rosa. :xxgrinning--00xx3:
http://www.brent.edu.ph/

Steve.r
16th March 2010, 21:20
For me, I am looking for a new beginning, a re-start. My life here in the UK means nothing to me anymore. Ok, I have family here, one brother and his family, aunts, uncles etc, you know the ones you see at funerals only. But only my parents talk to me, well, they have to I live with them, so not looking back anymore. Since meeting my Mahal in Singapore and my trip to Phils last year, and looking forward to my trip next month, I feel that I am ready to accept a real change. I have traveled over the world, been an expat in a past life, so I understand the challenges of trying to settle in a vastly different place.
My girlfriend already owns a large lot, has a house and a sari sari store which she want to expand. Her uncle is a respected businessman and has offered to help us set up a small farming business alongside his own.
I feel I am at the right time of life to make the move, I guess falling in love opened my eyes to a future that I had always dreamed of.
Ok, I accept it will be difficult, but what if I dont do it? what if I dont make the effort? The last thing I want to do in ten years time is ask myself why I didnt do it.

aposhark
16th March 2010, 21:30
........Hi Apo! Brent International school is outside Manila. It is in Biñan Laguna, about 15 km. away from our city Santa Rosa. :xxgrinning--00xx3:
http://www.brent.edu.ph/

Thanks for your reply, Penny.
I apologise for my ambiguous English.
What I should have typed was "are there many international schools apart from ones near Manila. On Cebu Island for example?"

Arthur Little
16th March 2010, 21:32
Arthur, what about Myrna's immediate family?
I'm not having a go at you, but sometimes we just seem to expect to drag our other halves, from the other side of the globe, to over here.

My wife absolutely loves the Philippines, she dosen't want to leave it really. :NoNo:

Like many here, ideally I'd love to be able to spend time between the two. :)

Well, Simon ... it's a long story - but, to cut it short (and without wishing to appear in any way ...:Erm: ... egotistical) let me tell you about Myrna's response to a question one of my friends put to her fairly recently. Asked if she was enjoying being here in Perth, she replied: "Oh yes ... but then, I'd be happy to live anywhere - even in darkest Africa - as long as I had Arthur beside me!"

What a lovely thing to say ... and that's taking into account, the harsh winter we've suffered! Needless to say, I was extremely touched :BouncyHappy: by this beautiful sentiment!

As regards her immediate relatives ... well, Myrna happens to be the 'only girl' in a family of five [surviving] brothers - all of whom are married with their own children - and she keeps in regular touch with them online and via Webcam. Sadly, her parents are now both deceased; she herself had been widowed early, with no kids to bring up. :NoNo:

And ... that's it, basically! :ARsurrender:

Steve.r
16th March 2010, 21:37
as long as I had Arthur beside me!"

You are truely a lucky man Arthur :xxgrinning--00xx3:

aposhark
16th March 2010, 21:38
.........The last thing I want to do in ten years time is ask myself why I didnt do it.

Go for it Steve.r

You are free as a bird and can achieve whatever you want if you keep enthusiasm in your mind and hard work in your hands.

I for one would be very interested to read here about your continuing venture.

The love of a good woman is worth more than anything.

Steve.r
16th March 2010, 21:46
Go for it Steve.r

You are free as a bird and can achieve whatever you want if you keep enthusiasm in your mind and hard work in your hands.

I for one would be very interested to read here about your continuing venture.

The love of a good woman is worth more than anything.

Hard work and enthusiasm + the love of a good woman, never hurt anyone. Of course I will a log of what I achieve, not going to be an overnight thing, and may take me a while to make it work, but having the goal/dream is the first step.

'Never forget your dreams, and a problem can always be solved' is how I look at life now.

thanks aposhark

aposhark
16th March 2010, 21:47
Im still looking for the wealthy Filipina thats drop dead georgeous and owns a brewery but in the mean time my guess is the vast majority would like to live in the Phils whilst having the reletively secure lifestyle of the west me to:icon_lol:

Keith, if she was "drop dead georgeous and owns a brewery" you may end up being p:censored:d and she'd be off :yikes:

Sim11UK
16th March 2010, 21:59
Well, Simon ... it's a long story - but, to cut it short (and without wishing to appear in any way ...:Erm: ... egotistical) let me tell you about Myrna's response to a question one of my friends put to her fairly recently. Asked if she was enjoying being here in Perth, she replied: "Oh yes ... but then, I'd be happy to live anywhere - even in darkest Africa - as long as I had Arthur beside me!"

What a lovely thing to say ... and that's taking into account, the harsh winter we've suffered! Needless to say, I was extremely touched :BouncyHappy: by this beautiful sentiment!

Will you be staying on the forum, when you move to darkest Africa? :Erm: :D

A beautiful sentiment indeed, from Myrna. :)

Sorry Arthur :ARsurrender: I wasn't really having a go at you, but just a difficult situation, for many of us to be in.
...It's not always the often assumed case, that everyone is desperate to leave the Philippines. My wife would love it, if we could just live there simply, she's certainly not materialistic & neither am I.

On the other hand, she has never been anywhere else, so maybe her eyes will be opened, to other possibilities. :)

Doc Alan
16th March 2010, 22:10
... Myrna's response to a question one of my friends put to her fairly recently. Asked if she was enjoying being here in Perth, she replied: "Oh yes ... but then, I'd be happy to live anywhere - even in darkest Africa - as long as I had Arthur beside me!"

I'm not surprised Arthur, from all I know about you. I think you have said you communicated with Myrna for a year before meeting her, and I'm sure you would have discussed many times the question of where to live. It's so fundamental to a relationship to have that understanding.

keithAngel
16th March 2010, 23:31
Keith, if she was "drop dead georgeous and owns a brewery" you may end up being p:censored:d and she'd be off :yikes:

Palihogd ? Pleased ?:Erm: " and she'd be off " is a reference to my unstated third wish I take it:icon_lol:

Sim11UK
16th March 2010, 23:36
Any plans for another 6 month stay out there Keith :rolleyes:

I like your income generating ideas. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Arthur Little
17th March 2010, 00:07
You are truely a lucky man Arthur :xxgrinning--00xx3:

:iagree: ... I am indeed, Steve!

keithAngel
17th March 2010, 00:15
:iagree: ... I am indeed, Steve!

Not Arthur :Erm: Fun here tonight

fred
17th March 2010, 00:42
Its almost impossible to say what amount/income would be doable if you wish to try and live here as the factors that it depends on (such as lifestyle and individual needs and wants are endless..
If I can assist with any enquiries regards the specific cost of item/service/accommodation/education etc I will try to answer if I can.
Prof Alan would be a great resource of this type of info as Keith mentioned..

Heres a thought that may stimulate some if your mortgage is near to finished relocate to a good tourist spot if your not already let your house as a tourist let via an agent for the summer (High income)storing your very personal stuff and use the income to fund 6 months initialy in the phils to see if you like it If you do the next season add a winter let and bingo income sorted and max of six months to get it back.

Part two pick a stunning location in the Phils build three smallish decca type houses £25 k ish (or if funds allow a big one for you and several small apartments)apply for permanent residence 13a import a container of carefully chosen household effects with no duty most of which can be found free or near offer on free cycle etc furnish said houses install wireless internet and rent short term to guys from forums like this one at around 10-11000 piso a month plus electric whilst living in one of them (there is a dearth of reasonable priced short term foriegner freindly property) This way you will never be short of an interesting conversation something to do or a pot of marmite

In time you might build more if demand is high or the properties could becomes homes for your kids there are spin offs like motor cycle rental and beer sales lol the part two is doable as a stand alone and could agument a pension you need to be gregarious of course

You do of course need to stay friends with the missus and in my case still find one lol as we cant own property there this way at all no matter what anyone says to the contrary also recieved wisdom says never settle on the same island as your fils family lol blah over

Some sound advice and ideas here in Keith s post btw..

Arthur Little
17th March 2010, 00:53
Will you be staying *on the forum, when you move to darkest Africa? :Erm: :D

Aha ... that's a dark secret! :cwm24: Staying *IN a tree house, I should imagine! :xxcheeky-smiley-013 But seriously ... it'll depend on whether there's internet access in the jungle for a cheeky monkey like me! :Help1:

triple5
17th March 2010, 01:11
If I can assist with any enquiries regards the specific cost of item/service/accommodation/education etc I will try to answer if I can.

Any tips on finding a one bed furnished apartment in davao city next month would be much appreciated, and how much should I expect to pay for one?

Arthur Little
17th March 2010, 01:21
I'm not surprised Arthur, from all I know about you. I think you have said you communicated with Myrna for a year before meeting her, and I'm sure you would have discussed many times the question of where to live. It's so fundamental to a relationship to have that understanding.

You're right, Alan ... we DID; and it IS! And so, after three :BouncyHappy: weeks spent in one another's company, :love2: Myrna decided to relinquish a lucrative and successful teaching career spanning 22 years ... which, I admit, greatly perturbed me at first. But such is the "tug of the heartstrings" :love18: that we each recognised our respective destinies lay together - wherever that might be, and whatever sacrifice(s) it would entail.

And so it came to pass ...

Troubadour
17th March 2010, 05:59
I am paying for the education of my children in the Philippines. I do not know if Immigration would allow them to settle in the UK. Also I am unsure if there is a future available for them in the UK. If they get on ok at school in Phili then they may well have the option of the USA or emerging China (if the US continues to tank as it is).

Personally I find the UK to be the most overpriced nation of uptight petty-minded fools that will not abandon a sense of overimportance born at a time when we had an empire.

If I was Scandinavian, Dutch or some other less evil nation I would stay where I am, but as things stand I will emigrate the first chance I get.

OK, so maybe you live longer in the UK, but what is the point if you are not happy

keithAngel
17th March 2010, 06:32
I am paying for the education of my children in the Philippines. I do not know if Immigration would allow them to settle in the UK. Also I am unsure if there is a future available for them in the UK. If they get on ok at school in Phili then they may well have the option of the USA or emerging China (if the US continues to tank as it is).

Personally I find the UK to be the most overpriced nation of uptight petty-minded fools that will not abandon a sense of overimportance born at a time when we had an empire.

If I was Scandinavian, Dutch or some other less evil nation I would stay where I am, but as things stand I will emigrate the first chance I get.

OK, so maybe you live longer in the UK, but what is the point if you are not happy

Evil or not your kids if you are a Brit have the right to British Citizenship and regardless of where they go to school or eventualy want to live this would give them access to the UK and all of Europe:xxgrinning--00xx3:

fred
17th March 2010, 11:58
Any tips on finding a one bed furnished apartment in davao city next month would be much appreciated, and how much should I expect to pay for one?

Damn..If you had said one bedroom unit in Cavite then I could have been of more help..:doh
Here in Bohol one bed units go from anywhere between 7 to 15k monthly..Probably around the same in Davao.

keithAngel
17th March 2010, 12:30
Triple 5 I would suggest you join local forums in the phils and ask that give your duration and budjet :xxgrinning--00xx3:

jimeve
17th March 2010, 14:24

short stay or long stay? look round the city when you get there. expect to pay 5000 peso per month, depends on location etc

triple5
17th March 2010, 14:28
Thanks for the advice fellas :xxgrinning--00xx3:

I'll be there a couple of months. 5k a month sounds good. Is it best to use an estate agent or just check local ads?

keithAngel
17th March 2010, 15:54
niether you should have as little involvment as possible if your girlfriend/wife can do it all it will be cheaper in any case if thats not possible the cheapest versions will be known by expats living there im not sure what your plan is time wise 5000 a month might get you a 2bed row house unfurnished depending on supply and demand but dont count on it unless jim knows specifics count on having to stay in hotel guest house while you look tour areas in a cab it took me 18 days of focused looking in cebu and my then lady was very good in communication skills so I xcould talk about criterior no one had any idea about room sizes it wont say in the adds

in the phils people put signs out if you see something you like in an area you like get a native speaker to phone and inquire

once your seen befor prices are known whity tax will be added:xxgrinning--00xx3:

just seen your there for two months unless you have a firm offer befor you go you would have to be a favouritte of the gods to get what your looking for

Please dont base your budjet on those figuers if you found somthing for 15000 you will be lucky i will make enquireys but it will be a week at least befor im back remind me

triple5
17th March 2010, 19:45
niether you should have as little involvment as possible if your girlfriend/wife can do it all it will be cheaper in any case if thats not possible the cheapest versions will be known by expats living there im not sure what your plan is time wise 5000 a month might get you a 2bed row house unfurnished depending on supply and demand but dont count on it unless jim knows specifics count on having to stay in hotel guest house while you look tour areas in a cab it took me 18 days of focused looking in cebu and my then lady was very good in communication skills so I xcould talk about criterior no one had any idea about room sizes it wont say in the adds

in the phils people put signs out if you see something you like in an area you like get a native speaker to phone and inquire

once your seen befor prices are known whity tax will be added:xxgrinning--00xx3:

just seen your there for two months unless you have a firm offer befor you go you would have to be a favouritte of the gods to get what your looking for

Please dont base your budjet on those figuers if you found somthing for 15000 you will be lucky i will make enquireys but it will be a week at least befor im back remind me

Really? Whys that because its peak season? Already found a little pad for 7k a month, but its a bit far from downtown. Not sure my budget will stretch to over 15k a month :Erm:

keithAngel
18th March 2010, 01:00
Really? Whys that because its peak season? Already found a little pad for 7k a month, but its a bit far from downtown. Not sure my budget will stretch to over 15k a month :Erm:

No thats great if you found one already I just remember how long and how frustrating it can be but you are clearly loved by the gods and well done:xxgrinning--00xx3: please post details about the propert and how and where you found it ?

I got this just now from a brit living in Davao

Hi Keith,
For low cost he could try www.elriopad.weebly.com (http://www.elriopad.weebly.com/) they have small studios available,and onsight caretaker.
Only 10 mins ride to Victoria Mall Shopping centre,which is handy as the BOI office is opposite the Mall,handy if extensions needed.
City centre is about 15 mins ride away.

I've never stayed there personally,so can't tell you anything more about the place.
He needs to get booked in as soon as possible,cheap monthly rentals are not easy to come by in Davao City.

triple5
18th March 2010, 01:10
This is it - http://profiles.friendster.com/107501838

Cant remember exactly how i found it. they got a few ads on sulit and other places. Last time I was in davao chatting to a guy from england said he rented a 3 bed house for 12k a month downtown, sounds very cheap :Erm: Something inbetween would be ideal.

keithAngel
18th March 2010, 02:26
power will probably extra if there is air con can add 2-4000 a month maybe a bit for water cable internet?seen the pics ?do you have to pay a deposit befor you go? if so how? remember its the internet :xxgrinning--00xx3:

justchecking
18th March 2010, 11:33
Hi aposhark - I lived in Cavite which was just outside manila - so when i said Manila, I also meant nowhere close!! My husbands closest city was Bacolod and I didn't find an international education provider there - not sure about Cebu as it has international airport and business centre and seems to have a good expat community - then maybe. I agree with the desire for an education that could provide access to work or Universities across Europe and the world....so same sentiment i think as yours and a couple of others - my daughter only has british citizenship so was not legally alowed to attend a local private school - only an international school on s student visa and they are around $8000 I believe - so not cheap at all, after all they are aimed at business-based expats with company expenses!

Troubador - nowheres perfect and like you say we are limited by our background, but I still feel my daughter is better off with an internationally valued education. i think you have to be married to the mother for themn to be entitled to a british passport (which you may well be!)

Arthur - what a lucky man

As for cost of living - we did it on a budget of around £350, but it no luxuries or home internet - as keith angel says have a healthy budget when you go and then skim off the unnecessary costs - the only import food I bought was cereal for my daughter!

SteveR - go go go for it - and enjoy, after all you only ever regret the things you don't do!

keithAngel
18th March 2010, 13:25
i think you have to be married to the mother for themn to be entitled to a british passport (which you may well be!)

!

Great post justchecking but this bit is not accurate marriage is not a requirement and providing DNA matches if required its a right:xxgrinning--00xx3:

joebloggs
18th March 2010, 14:20
Great post justchecking but this bit is not accurate marriage is not a requirement and providing DNA matches if required its a right:xxgrinning--00xx3:

marriage is not required in all cases, depends on when the child was born, also you may well be asked for a dna tested to be done if your not married.

also citizenship is not a right in all cases, it can be at the discretion of the Home Secretary :rolleyes:

keithAngel
18th March 2010, 15:41
marriage is not required in all cases, depends on when the child was born, also you may well be asked for a dna tested to be done if your not married.

also citizenship is not a right in all cases, it can be at the discretion of the Home Secretary :rolleyes:

Interesting Joe My reading is that Home seretary Discretion only applies where the claim comes from a parent with British nationality through descent

A child born outside the UK on or after 1 January 1983 will automatically acquire British citizenship by descent if either parent is a British citizen otherwise than by descent at the time of the birth.

Only one parent needs to be British otherwise than by descent - either the father or the mother.
As a general rule, an unmarried father cannot pass on British citizenship automatically in the case of children born before 1 July 2006. Although, if the parents marry subsequent to the birth, the child normally will become a British citizen at that point if legitimated by the marriage and the father was eligible to pass on British citizenship. Further, if the unmarried British father was domiciled in a country that treated (at the date of birth of the child born before 1 July 2006) a child born to unmarried parents in the same way as a child born to married parents, then the father passed on British citizenship automatically to his child, even though the child was born before 1 July 2006 to unmarried parents.[1] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_nationality_law#cite_note-0) Such countries include Jamaica and New Zealand [2] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_nationality_law#cite_note-1),Brazil[3] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_nationality_law#cite_note-2) and Hungary[4] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_nationality_law#cite_note-3).
Failing the above, the child can be registered as British if it would have been British if parents were married and application is made before the child is 18.:Erm:

aposhark
18th March 2010, 20:08
Hi justchecking,

If we go to live in the Phils one day in the future, can my children who are born to my Filipina wife (married in Phils) in the UK get Filipino citizenship also?

fred
19th March 2010, 00:35
Hi justchecking,

If we go to live in the Phils one day in the future, can my children who are born to my Filipina wife (married in Phils) in the UK get Filipino citizenship also?

My kids all have dual citizenship..They got it after the mrs visited the Phil embassy to reacquire her Filipino citizenship..Easy peasy.

aposhark
19th March 2010, 06:09
My kids all have dual citizenship..They got it after the mrs visited the Phil embassy to reacquire her Filipino citizenship..Easy peasy.

Thanks Fred :)

joebloggs
19th March 2010, 07:08
Interesting Joe My reading is that Home seretary Discretion only applies where the claim comes from a parent with British nationality through descent

that's true, but what i meant by cases, was other types of visa, spouse visa, those on work permits and even those on family permits etc , citizenship is at the discretion of the home secretary.

Naturalisation is not an entitlement. It is a matter of law as set out in the
British Nationality Act 1981. The Home Secretary may exercise his discretion to naturalise
you only if you satisfy a number of statutory requirements. He may disregard the extent to
which you are unable to fully satisfy certain requirements but he cannot do this in all cases

http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/applicationforms/nationality/guide_an.pdf

also Euro law doesn't cover citizenship. so the gov can do what they want without any bother from the boys in brussels :rolleyes:

David House
19th March 2010, 17:57
As some may know I am planning to partly live in the Philippines, and should have been there now, but need to get my treatment concluded first. Much better to do that in the UK as there is no NHS in the Phil and having already supported one family member through radiotherapy I can tell you, it's costly.
We have bought a house in Cebu, 15 kgs south of the city. It is right on the beach facing Bohol, which is where Connie's family live so they are close enough to be easy to visit, but far enough not to doorstep. I loath Manila and don't want to be anywhere close to the place. Having already spent around 12 months in total there I have enough experience to make a judgement. We plan winters there and summers here. I love the English summer, real ale in pub gardens, watching cricket, long evenings and walks on cliff tops. I also appreciate good food and the BBC. I find the TV in the Phil to be just terrible and you have to spend time finding good food. However I don't enjoy the English winter and so we will spend our time there, in our lovely new home, going fishing, diving and island hoping on the boat I will buy and generally relaxing. I am already semi-retired and may shortly be fully retired. My rule has been to make my money in the UK and then spend it in the Phil as earning an income there is pretty near impossible, unless you are contracted by an international employer. The costs in living in the Phil is like anywhere else.........it depends. You can live very, very simply on not very much but your comfort levels will not be great. We rented a nice house on a sub division last year, from a fellow Brit, and paid 27,000 pesos per month. We did whatever we fancied, eat out a lot etc and it cost less than 100,000 pesos per month on top of the rental but we really did not attempt to economise.
Another really important reason for splitting our time is to maintain our position with the NHS. In my case this is vital but as everyone gets older it becomes more and more important. My enquiries have established, via conversations with the Dept of Health and my PCT, that provided you maintain a permanent UK home and register with your GP on your return here that you will become a permanent resisdent again, that NHS treatment will continue. A permanent resident is someone who has resided, or intends to reside, in the UK for 6 months or more.
As our new home will not be used by ourselves in the summer months we will be offering to rent it and would much prefer to do so to folk we know and trust. So if any of you have the need for such a deal please get in touch and I will gladly send some details. It is not yet furnished, as that is our next task, which will happen just as soon as my treatment is finished.

paulgee
19th March 2010, 20:33
One thing which may be of interest to anyone who is planning to move to the Philippines and live on their pension:

You should be able to claim Double Taxation Relief on your pension, ie pay no tax on it in the UK but just pay tax in the Philippines, which for you is 0%. The following link may help:

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/nonresidents/iwtclaim-relief-from-uk-tax-under-a-double-taxation.shtml

And secondly; if your wife is an active member of Philhealth then she can include her spouse as a dependent. Therefore if you need medical treatment there you will be able to reclaim a proportion of the cost from Philhealth.

Paul

fred
20th March 2010, 00:43
One thing which may be of interest to anyone who is planning to move to the Philippines and live on their pension:

You should be able to claim Double Taxation Relief on your pension, ie pay no tax on it in the UK but just pay tax in the Philippines, which for you is 0%. The following link may help:

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/nonresidents/iwtclaim-relief-from-uk-tax-under-a-double-taxation.shtml

And secondly; if your wife is an active member of Philhealth then she can include her spouse as a dependent. Therefore if you need medical treatment there you will be able to reclaim a proportion of the cost from Philhealth.

Paul

Thats true Paul but you can also add the kids too.. Theres 5 of us on our Philhealth policy..I think it cost about 1,500 a year.

SteveL
20th March 2010, 01:26
We've already bought a hectre of land in Dipolog , next step is to build our house (i'm going to be doing a Petchachelli and building it bit by bit). ETA for the house is 3 years finances allowing then we will gradually start to spend longer and longer there. I'm hoping to retire at 50 and live there , as has been said before, the pace of life, quality of life and lack of stress are superior to uk. Sad to say but true inmy experience.

fred
20th March 2010, 05:08
(i'm going to be doing a Petchachelli and building it bit by bit)

Petchachelli ?? Damn your going back a bit! Even Im too young to remember that show..
The only set back to doing it that way is that its gonna cost you much more as prices here are going up and up and up..2 years ago sand was 700P per cubic meter.. Now its 1200.. Cement was 90.00 a bag and now its 120,00..

Sim11UK
20th March 2010, 08:07
Petrocelli???? He never got his house built did he. :icon_lol:

flomike
20th March 2010, 12:07
its a nice topic:xxgrinning--00xx3:

we loved to live in the Phils specially my husband but not staying there for good may be like some people here spending winter there and summer here. Living here for 6 years now I would say I enjoy every bits of it and last year I had my naturalization.

just recently, i decided to have our own child (my husband got a daugther from previous married she's 25 yrs old now) at my age of 36 and my husband at 53 it is a big decision for me, so, if i get pregnant this year it is a life changing for us.

we don't have much savings nor own a property here in UK and Phils so, probably we're stuck here in UK specially having a kid at our age. all the plans we have in the future will definitely on hold or may not happen anymore.

as some people says UK is not a great country to live so as Phils but if we can afford living both ways would be great. Lucky for some but not for us I think unless we win the lottery.

jimeve
20th March 2010, 12:09
I've been building mine bit by bit over 5 years, most of its built,just wants ceiling, tiling, plumbing, basically internal work. like Fred said materials are going up all the time. I was lucky £ vs peso was good :xxgrinning--00xx3:

somebody
20th March 2010, 12:16
Some good advice from people on Pensions and Health care but I would advise anyone to keep a close eye on policy making for the next few years as I can see quite a few changes being made in the name of cost cutting and revenue making. I think whoever gets in there will be a mixture of cost saving, taxes hikes, kneejerking and headline grabbing.

Ie be warned if those who retire abroad get little sympathy in the media and with the "general Public" who could be thought to be tax dodging/health tourists (not my thoughts or words).

I know the majority on here have paid their share and some of tax to UK PLC. But I think its plain to see taxes are going to go though the roof over the next few years and most likely beyond.
So if the goverment decide to change rules i cant see many uk based tax payers backing moves to make life easier for those living abroad.

So maybe more of the millions of ex pats abroad should register to vote in national elections...

fred
21st March 2010, 02:54
Some good advice from people on Pensions and Health care but I would advise anyone to keep a close eye on policy making for the next few years as I can see quite a few changes being made in the name of cost cutting and revenue making. I think whoever gets in there will be a mixture of cost saving, taxes hikes, kneejerking and headline grabbing.

Ie be warned if those who retire abroad get little sympathy in the media and with the "general Public" who could be thought to be tax dodging/health tourists (not my thoughts or words).

I know the majority on here have paid their share and some of tax to UK PLC. But I think its plain to see taxes are going to go though the roof over the next few years and most likely beyond.
So if the goverment decide to change rules i cant see many uk based tax payers backing moves to make life easier for those living abroad.

So maybe more of the millions of ex pats abroad should register to vote in national elections...

You make some good points there and Im absolutely certain that what you say will come to pass eventually..

aposhark
21st March 2010, 10:22
I would like to thank everybody who has contributed to this thread so far :xxgrinning--00xx3:

It is so interesting to see that so many people here are either living in the Philippines or are planning to.

The feedback is very helpful and I look forward to reading the posts of peoples' adventures about life in the Philippines in the future.

Visiting there to see our Mahals is great but living there is way of life.

Arturo
21st March 2010, 14:43

Does the UK pension get annual cost of living updates?

joebloggs
21st March 2010, 15:02
yes , UK pensioners living in the Philippines get their pension indexed annually

http://www.pensionsadvisoryservice.org.uk/state-pensions/living-overseas
UK State Pension annual increases

If you are living abroad on a permanent basis you may be entitled to the annual increase to your State Pension rates if you live in an EEA country*, Switzerland, or a country that has a reciprocal social security agreement with the UK**.

If you live abroad in any other country you will not receive an annual increase.

* The EEA countries are Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain and Sweden. The UK is also part of the EEA. UK means England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. Gibraltar is treated as another EEA country by the UK. Other EEA countries treat Gibraltar as part of the UK.

** Countries with reciprocal agreements are Barbados, Bermuda, Israel (the agreement with Israel applies to the territory administered by the Government of Israel on 19 July 1956), Jamaica, Jersey and Guernsey, Isle of Man, Mauritius, Philippines, Turkey, USA and the separate republics of the former Yugoslavia that are not EU Member States (Bosnia-Herzegovina, Croatia, Montenegro, the Republic of Macedonia and Serbia). Increases are also payable in Sark under the UK domestic legislation.