PDA

View Full Version : What was your worst Stopover?

KeithD
22nd March 2010, 16:46
Never really had one myself, although waiting for the flight from Singapore to Davao that took of about 4am UK time was a very sleepy wait.

Arthur Little
22nd March 2010, 17:04
Mine was in the summer of 1995. Three of us had flown into London in the early morning ... after a tedious 7-hour, overnight flight from New York's JFK ... only to find ourselves waiting around Heathrow for EIGHT [more] hours :cwm24: for our connection back to Scotland. No prizes for guessing the cause of the delay: British :censored: Airways ... once again hitting the headlines for buggering-up folks' travelling arrangements!!! :doh

triple5
22nd March 2010, 18:28
14 hours in abu dhabi :doh

keithAngel
22nd March 2010, 18:51
22 hours in Aman with u shaped beds and overhead goat herds with pnuematic drills:doh

walesrob
22nd March 2010, 19:57
Doha, 8 hours. No seats, had to sit on the floor, massive line for toilets, long wait for table at the cafe. Shame because Qatar Airways is a really good airline, but Doha lets it down badly.

Steve.r
22nd March 2010, 20:16
My worst ever was on my way to and return from Phil last year. 4 hours in Kuwait airport !!!!!!!!!!!! What an absolutely pants airport. There is nothing there at all........nothing.
The thing that wound me up even more was the fact that I was clearly sitting in the non smoking area to eat some food, and all around were people smoking like chimneys. I will never fly Kuwait again, and hope never to return to that airport. :NoNo:

joebloggs
22nd March 2010, 20:25
Never really had one myself, although waiting for the flight from Singapore to Davao that took of about 4am UK time was a very sleepy wait.

like scouser keith, never had one, always flown air france/klm, singapore or even BA :yikes:

Arthur Little
22nd March 2010, 20:26
My worst ever was on my way to and return from Phil last year. 4 hours in Kuwait airport !!!!!!!!!!!! What an absolutely pants airport. There is nothing there at all........nothing.

:doh Kuwait[ed] a long time too then, Steve? ... sorry to hear that mate!

RickyR
22nd March 2010, 20:37
Worst flight was flying to a ship at the most southern tip of South America, flew Manchester-London-Miami-Santiago-Puerto Montt-Punta Arenas. It took 48 hours of contstant travelling. Needless to say the baggage never made it, and being stuck in both Miami and Puerto Montt for 4 hours.

englishbird
22nd March 2010, 20:43
Not really a stop over, but getting to Manila Airport way too early for my flight. Had to hang around there for 5 hours!, what a dump!:icon_lol:

maria_and_matt
22nd March 2010, 20:47
Not really a stop over, but getting to Manila Airport way too early for my flight. Had to hang around there for 5 hours!, what a dump!:icon_lol:

NAIA a dump?

belfast_dude
22nd March 2010, 21:31
Worst flight was flying to a ship at the most southern tip of South America, flew Manchester-London-Miami-Santiago-Puerto Montt-Punta Arenas. It took 48 hours of contstant travelling. Needless to say the baggage never made it, and being stuck in both Miami and Puerto Montt for 4 hours.

that sounds lovely...maybe i will book it one day..:yikes:

MarBell379
22nd March 2010, 21:57
8 Hrs in Seoul airport. No phone signal on either phone, credit cards locked out due to different country and fraud risk, no local currency, and s shaped rest benches that were incredibly uncomfortable.
On the plus side I slept well on the plane from there to Heathrow.
Ive never flown with Asiana again though - they're good, but always seem to have a long delay on the return leg.

Englishman2010
22nd March 2010, 23:12
Doha, 8 hours. No seats, had to sit on the floor, massive line for toilets, long wait for table at the cafe. Shame because Qatar Airways is a really good airline, but Doha lets it down badly.

I had the same problem with Qatar in January, 8 hours one way and 8 and a half the other.

My worst stop over was about 20 years ago when I was flying BA from Sydney to Heathrow. We had to wait for about 10 hours in Singapore whilst someone put one of the engine's back on the 747:yikes:

Doc Alan
23rd March 2010, 00:01
Having just booked my flight with KLM, thankfully nobody has mentioned any dreadful stopovers in Amsterdam !

GaryFifer
23rd March 2010, 00:38
Having just booked my flight with KLM, thankfully nobody has mentioned any dreadful stopovers in Amsterdam !

They do not leave you very much time for connecting flight and it is a rather confusing airport. Ensure you have 1hr-2hr time to walk from gate to gate.

Fitzy
23rd March 2010, 00:45
My mate Steve flew off today to Amsterdam, and has a 13 hr wait before his flight to Manila. His flight leaves after 2am tomorrow morning.
I told him to nip into the City, and build a spliff:D:icon_lol::icon_lol:
Hope he didn't tho, hehehehehehehe
Well, I used to work for BA, and now thankfully work for a contract company providing radio communications systems for them, and many others at Heathrow.
My flight from Heathrow to Manila in April is sweet tho.
Less than 1.5hrs lay over between airports there, and back.
My mate will probably get me Club flying out to HK on BA:D

If the're still flying of course:erotic4:
Happy days

Arthur Little
23rd March 2010, 01:05
They do not leave you very much time for connecting flight and it is a rather confusing airport. Ensure you have 1hr-2hr time to walk from gate to gate.

:yikes: ... Surely they'll allow sufficient time for outbound flight transfers at Schipol ... !!

GaryFifer
23rd March 2010, 01:26
well I flew from EDI and the flight was a bit late. since the connecting flight was near 2. I had to shift it!

9:45 Edinburgh 12:15 Amsterdam KL1278

14:10 Amsterdam 08:45Manila KL0803

complex
23rd March 2010, 07:33
Mine was 9-10 hours through the night in Doha, Qatar coming back to London from Cebu, just the lack of sleep and the boredom, airport was pretty empty except for a handful of people but I didn't want to sleep just incase someone swiped my laptop or something!

walesrob
23rd March 2010, 10:40
airport was pretty empty except for a handful of people

I think what happens at these hub airports (Doha, Dubai, Bahrain) is that most flights seem to arrive around 10pm then all leave at 4am.

KeithD
23rd March 2010, 10:41
They do not leave you very much time for connecting flight and it is a rather confusing airport.
Actually it is YOU who chooses the connecting times not the airline or airport, when you book you have many different options, most people take the default without doing any research.

Englishman2010
23rd March 2010, 10:45
Mine was 9-10 hours through the night in Doha, Qatar coming back to London from Cebu, just the lack of sleep and the boredom, airport was pretty empty except for a handful of people but I didn't want to sleep just incase someone swiped my laptop or something!

The new terminal in Doha is a lot better than the old one. I first went there in Dec 1999 on my way to Mumbai, it really was just a shed then. I was last there in Jan 2010, it;s still very small and you quickly run out of things to do, but it really is 10 X better than it used to be.

If you are going to have a layover in the Middle East, Bahrain, Dubai and Abu Dhabi are the best places to be.

Avoid Muscat (Oman) at all costs, that really is awful, or should I say was the last time I was there.

RickyR
23rd March 2010, 12:11
Amsterdam is one of the easiest for transfers from the UK to International as you remain in the same terminal, and pretty much always use the same gate. Flying Business however, the lounge is crap.

LHR Terminal 5 is just a pain, it's more like a shopping centre, it's a lot of hassle and they never announce flight gates until very late on.

Charles De Gaulle, is another crap airport, especially if you have to transfer terminals coming from the UK, as you literally end up outside the entire security area and have to go back in, and the terminal is so bare and overpriced.

Hong Kong, great place to transfer, one terminal, easy to get around,

Singapore, great place to transfer (if flying into Changi main terminal, if you goto the budget terminal then AGGGHHH).

Dubai, is fairly good and flying emirates is always a pleasure, but you seem to spend half an hour on the bus going to the terminal after landing.
Cairo, aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh (business class lounge, erm whats that???)

Helsinki, not so bad, not so great. Busses to the terminal again

Doha, OK, not great, busses to the terminal though

Then the US hubs are ok, but if your transferring to/from international flights they often don't have transfer facilities and you have to actually enter the country go outside and go back through security !!!!!

Miami, aghhhhhh, english food please????

Houston, very good

Vancouver, ok

JFK, ok

erm, can't remember the rest,

Arturo
23rd March 2010, 13:51
Hong Kong 2004... crap hotel, the only good thing was getting to 10,000 ft on the way home!

Doc Alan
23rd March 2010, 21:39
This is the thread I don't want to read with 6 weeks to go for my Manchester-Amsterdam-Manila flight .... fingers crossed !:)

Englishman2010
23rd March 2010, 21:58
This is the thread I don't want to read with 6 weeks to go for my Manchester-Amsterdam-Manila flight .... fingers crossed !:)

Don't worry if you get held up at Schippol, it is one of the best airports in the world. I would rather get held up there than many of the other airports I've been to. Singapore and Dubai aren't too bad either.

bornatbirth
23rd March 2010, 22:16
NAIA a dump?

it must be the worst airport to look at and wait in but the easiest get in and out of :xxgrinning--00xx3:

:yikes: ... Surely they'll allow sufficient time for outbound flight transfers at Schipol ... !!

alan, its easy to find your way around and you will have plenty time to get to the gate.

i always walk straight to the gate and have a walk around after i know where it is, they also have a cannabis cafe there you should try it :icon_lol:

Doc Alan
23rd March 2010, 22:53
... they also have a cannabis cafe there you should try it :icon_lol:
You lot really are a bad influence on my sheltered life !:yikes:

Notavirusalso
25th March 2010, 15:51

Transvers at amsterdam are sweet Jako don't worry about a thing.. just stroll along take yer time relax and enjoy the trip...
one and half hours is the shortest times i can get my transvers, and is best to make the trip as short as possible....
on the transver your luggage is loaded on to the plane and it wont leave with out you as it is easier to find you and get you on it then to go to the trouble of finding your luggage and taken it off as the plane can not leave with your luggage and not you.... Have a safe and relaxing trip

All my transvers have been ok
Hong kong
Kula lumpa
Schiphol
Bahrain (humm ?)
I just make sure my stop overs are as short as possible as they are not the place i want to be