PDA

View Full Version : Xoom is blocking non US credit cards as payment method for transactions

JimOttley
30th March 2010, 14:34
Has anyone tried to send via Xoom recently?

I just noticed this today.

http://blog.xoom.com/2010/03/new-minimum-send-amounts-payment-source.html

This is going to cause lots of people huge problems, if they really have done this!

Jim

GaryFifer
30th March 2010, 15:05
How does this affect our VISA DEBIT cards which are now in effect?

JimOttley
30th March 2010, 15:35
How does this affect our VISA DEBIT cards which are now in effect?

I have a horrible feeling that cards are cards, I could never get my Visa Debit to work anyway.

aromulus
30th March 2010, 17:55
As from 24th of March, xoom has ceased to use paypal as a transfer method:crazy:, and only takes american bank accounts debit or credit cards as payment.:doh

I found this out the hard way, and was going to post about it.

It is reasonable to assume that due to the latest moves, xoom.com have lost huge amounts of revenue, only because they didn't want to pay the few bob that paypal was getting off them...:doh

I am trying to start an iremit account, but aren't they half longwinded...???:doh

mistermatty
30th March 2010, 18:14
i posted about this a few days ago .....its a major pain and i have had to resort to western union ....

Sim11UK
30th March 2010, 19:17
i posted about this a few days ago .....its a major pain and i have had to resort to western union ....

mistermatty set up a PNB account, forget western union :NoNo: you'll save yourself a fortune. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Sim11UK
30th March 2010, 19:23
I'm really not surprised about xoom...they are totally useless.

I see they have a disgruntled customer, with the same problems I had, on their facebook page. i.e. wouldn't let you in to your account, then they never get back to you c:censored:p :NoNo:

mattyjy2k
18th April 2010, 08:36
I've been using Xoom for 4 years sending money to my Girl Friend in the Philippines to pay our rent for our apartment in Davao and the bills etc and the money I have paid to Xoom just in commission over that time must have come to thousands. So now they have stopped Paypal Payment and stopped any non US credit and debit cards.
So Now they have made it impossible for everybody except Yanks to sand money to the Philippines using Xoom!
By stopping anybody from outside the US from using the service to the Philippines it seems they are saying that nobody outside the US can be trusted.
They say on there Blog it is to try and stop people sending money to overseas merchants as it is only meant for personal remittance but it seems to me that it would be people in the US that would be most likely to try using the service for paying merchants for goods.
It’s a very weak accuse.
And this all seems like a very backwards move for a money remittance website.
The only thing that makes me feel better is they must be losing so much business.
Another problem I have got is when I'm there I use my Nationwide card to withdraw money which had no fees and was great,
But the other day I got a letter from them saying that now the standard Nationwide Card will not work in ATM's abroad.
So annoying because I would have just got my Girlfriend a Nationwide card instead of using Xoom but I can’t do that either now.
I'm looking into getting a caxton fx card pre pay mastercard for me and my Girl but will have to post it out to her which all take time.
Guess I will have to use Western union in the mean time,
I hate getting ripped off!
This online Finance companies go on about online scammers etc but most of them are just as bad with there hidden charges and fees.
If any of you that were using Xoom before have found a new cheap quick way to send money online please let me know.
Matt James

Sim11UK
18th April 2010, 17:41
I've been using Xoom for 4 years sending money to my Girl Friend in the Philippines to pay our rent for our apartment in Davao and the bills etc and the money I have paid to Xoom just in commission over that time must have come to thousands. So now they have stopped Paypal Payment and stopped any non US credit and debit cards.
So Now they have made it impossible for everybody except Yanks to sand money to the Philippines using Xoom!
By stopping anybody from outside the US from using the service to the Philippines it seems they are saying that nobody outside the US can be trusted.
They say on there Blog it is to try and stop people sending money to overseas merchants as it is only meant for personal remittance but it seems to me that it would be people in the US that would be most likely to try using the service for paying merchants for goods.
It’s a very weak accuse.
And this all seems like a very backwards move for a money remittance website.
The only thing that makes me feel better is they must be losing so much business.
Another problem I have got is when I'm there I use my Nationwide card to withdraw money which had no fees and was great,
But the other day I got a letter from them saying that now the standard Nationwide Card will not work in ATM's abroad.
So annoying because I would have just got my Girlfriend a Nationwide card instead of using Xoom but I can’t do that either now.
I'm looking into getting a caxton fx card pre pay mastercard for me and my Girl but will have to post it out to her which all take time.
Guess I will have to use Western union in the mean time,
I hate getting ripped off!
This online Finance companies go on about online scammers etc but most of them are just as bad with there hidden charges and fees.
If any of you that were using Xoom before have found a new cheap quick way to send money online please let me know.
Matt James

Get yourself a PNB Europe online remittance account.
If your lady has a bank account, it will cost £5 to send straight to her account.

If she dosen't have an account, costs something like £6-8? for pick up.

http://www.pnbeurope.com/

joebloggs
18th April 2010, 17:53
If your lady has a bank account, it will cost £5 to send straight to her account.

yes PNB, not as quick, but usually they can get the money the next day, and it only cost £5 or £6 to send upto £1,000 and you get a receipt from PNB which is excellent evidence of support :xxgrinning--00xx3:

IainBusby
18th April 2010, 18:28

:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3: It's a bit of a pain in the ar:action-smiley-081:se to set up, but once you've got through all that I think you'll find it was well worth the trouble. Besides the fact that their rates are always the best it's just very simple, very cheap and very fast.

somebody
19th April 2010, 23:33
yes PNB, not as quick, but usually they can get the money the next day, and it only cost £5 or £6 to send upto £1,000 and you get a receipt from PNB which is excellent evidence of support :xxgrinning--00xx3:

If you bell up or stroll inside they will send the money so its there then i think its a quid more but not bad if it needs to be in the account there and then and a heck a lot of cheaper than western union and even xoom from memory..