PDA

View Full Version : please some help needed =)

sugarman
8th April 2010, 15:54
hey guys, well im currecntly 19. i just wanted to know your opinions on me going out to live in the phils. iv been thinking about it so much but i really dont know what to do. im currently living in UK.

the main thing for me is earning money and iv looked into it and i can earn some money maybe through ebay selling to the UK. and if thats not enough theni could work in a call centre maybe?....

im just asking for your opinions. if you were my age, what would you do? also accomodation is not an issue as i have family out there and friends.

im half brit half pinoy. and have both passports so no problems there..

any help guys? thanks so much!

aromulus
8th April 2010, 15:58
Well for a start you should get yourself some travel health insurance, as there is no NHS overthere....:NoNo:

keithAngel
8th April 2010, 16:36
ah two threads

Talk to your family in the phils and friends:xxgrinning--00xx3:

triple5
8th April 2010, 17:07
the main thing for me is earning money and iv looked into it and i can earn some money maybe through ebay selling to the UK. and if thats not enough theni could work in a call centre maybe?....

Having done a bit of ebay selling from Asia to UK in the past I can tell you it can be a real headache, especially as people in the UK expect it delivered within a few days. You'd be surprised how many don't read the listings and just assume you're a UK seller. You can spend half your day answering emails about delivery times and challenging paypal disputes. Then there's the postage, not very reliable I hear in the Phils.

Was talking to a call center boss yesterday who was saying how its a booming business right now and a lot of people getting into it as the pay's very good, about 15k a month.

Florge
8th April 2010, 22:21
well, you are young... enjoy life... try and see if living in the Philippines would work for you.. and if doesn't, you can always come back here....

before I left, my clients have been working on a deal with a lot of UK companies that are outsourcing their customer service to the philippines and these phil companies would need help in understanding British culture (as Phils is used to American terms and such).. you would definitely be an asset to any call center company ..

good luck!

fred
9th April 2010, 03:14
Yeah..My son worked in a call center here for 6 months before starting Uni back in Sheffield.. He was on 15,000 Pesos a month in tech support (HP) and was offered a voice and language coaching job..He declined as he knew he wouldnt be staying that long.
Had he stayed I have a feeling he would have eventually been offered a managers position and earned around 30-40 K a month which is a respectable salary here..His main advantage was his Spoken English..Having said that he was often told to speak with a US accent..He declined ... Good boy!!
I say what have you got to lose?? As Dom says though..Get your self some good travel insurance and join Phil health which will get you a good discount should you be admitted for any reason..

Having said that call centre employees often have health insurance bills paid as part of employment package and there are other perks too..

aromulus
9th April 2010, 07:39
and there are other perks too..

Lots of totty I believe.....:rolleyes:

pennybarry
9th April 2010, 09:21
You're at the right age boy but not sure how matured you are to face the hardship of life if you have no sure job. But then I salute you for having strenght to be home with full of hope and guts to see your roots.
You can enrol an online short course about dreamweaver webdesign as it is also in demand in our country. But most important advice will always come from parents as they know the best.
Avoid temptation with girls as I'm sure you look pogi and attractive. Yes or no? eheheheh

justchecking
9th April 2010, 09:47
You are young and have no obligations, you have family support there to start you off and some potential to work - I assume you have a philippine passport... Don't think of it as a life long decision, think of it as 'for now - to see'.

Don't regret not doing things...once the decision is made follow the sensible advice about philhealth and training and see how it turns out.....good luck

fred
9th April 2010, 10:19
Avoid temptation with girls

:laugher:

KeithD
9th April 2010, 10:37
:laugher:
Bit of an :olddude: :do_it: are we eh Fred? ;)

keithAngel
9th April 2010, 12:08
Its a justifyable concern for a young lad It could stunt his growth, the local synod of Bishops was saying call centers are hives of carnal pursuits and that we as a responcible community must point out the down side:laugher:

Florge
9th April 2010, 17:06
Its a justifyable concern for a young lad It could stunt his growth, the local synod of Bishops was saying call centers are hives of carnal pursuits and that we as a responcible community must point out the down side:laugher:

you won't believe how many of that stories i would have to "resolve" as part of the HR department in my former company.... you'll go :yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes: big time!!!

i think it was too much coffee, booze, ciggies, and drugs for some, and less sunshine... hehehe

fred
9th April 2010, 17:57
Bit of an :olddude: :do_it: are we eh Fred? ;)Not these days .. I must admit that I am perfectly happily married to one woman,,(pretty close to siver anniversarty)..
When I was 17.????!...different story..Confidential stuff!!

IainBusby
9th April 2010, 21:07
Not these days .. I must admit that I am perfectly happily married to one woman,,(pretty close to siver anniversarty)..
When I was 17.????!...different story..Confidential stuff!!

Come on Fred spill the beans, you've managed to get our full attention now!!!

South-east boy
9th April 2010, 21:49
Yeah, I'd speak to you family over there and I'd go for it. You don't have responsibilities like a lot of people get and that tie them to having to stay there such as mortgages, loans, jobs & relationships etc. Having family to stay/accommodation with is a big factor. If it doesn't work out, you won't have lost anything and of course can easily come back, but at l;east you would have tried and satisfied your curiosity about trying over there.

somebody
9th April 2010, 22:22
Go for it! Be careful with the travel insurance if your going to work make sure it allows u to work most of the shelf ones i guess will not let u.

One of the Wifes best mates works for a English language school shes now a manager and a high flyer and her English is shocking so you will if bi lingual do very well!!

One think is realise many Phill workplaces from what I hear from the Wifes Friends and family have a different attitude to workers and the attitude they should have in the workplace!!! D The rights a worker can be a little different as well so make sure you read up on the differences!!

But when 19 you want to explore have an adventure and why not see how the other half of your background lives:D

sugarman
10th April 2010, 15:11
wow thanks for the help guys! =)

yeah im gonna go for it, like justchecking says "Don't think of it as a life long decision, think of it as 'for now - to see'"

thanks for the help, you really helped me out.

Jondash
12th April 2010, 17:26
Work and save here for 3-5 years, then you'll have enough for a decent house there...then all you gotta do in come back and forth for cash if you need it.

That's what i'm doing now, as soon as my fiance is here with me, but i wont be staying in the UK, B n F for sure.

gracia143
12th April 2010, 19:08
..Having said that he was often told to speak with a US accent...

I applied for the job and was told I needed to do a crash course to change my accent to American, I didn't even noticed I had an accent :bigcry: so I got upset. They told me I have a Brit twang and that they didn't like it. I walked out of the job. Anyway, call center job is good paying job in the Phils. so if you can get to change your twang. Good luck though...:)

sparky
12th April 2010, 19:20
I applied for the job and was told I needed to do a crash course to change my accent to American, I didn't even noticed I had an accent :bigcry: so I got upset. They told me I have a Brit twang and that they didn't like it. I walked out of the job. Anyway, call center job is good paying job in the Phils. so if you can get to change your twang. Good luck though...:)

the daft thing is the yanks love the brit accent:Erm:

Englishman2010
12th April 2010, 21:28
the local synod of Bishops was saying call centers are hives of carnal pursuits

How do I get a job in Filipino call centre:D