PDA

View Full Version : Church-Wedding in the Philippines when Divorced & Timing-Problems

landa
9th April 2010, 15:33
Hello every1,

i plan to get married in the Philippines this June with my filippina fianceé.
I already got all the papers ready. We prefer a Church-Wedding.

But there are 2 Problems that appeared.

1st Problem: I am divorced. Can i marry in church if i'm divorced? Or are there special conditions?

2. Problem: I planned to go there about 4 weeks. The Procedure of church wedding is pretty long. There is for once an "Canonical Interview" which has to be done 1 month before the wedding -> This will be hard since i'll stay only one month -> Is there a way to do shorten that up to maybe 1 or 2 weeks before wedding?

And secondly the traditon of the "Wedding Banns" which has to be put in church 3 sundays before wedding. From what i heard it's possible that only the bride puts these wedding banns without husband being in the phils - is that true?

Thanks in advance for your help and infos! :)

Florge
9th April 2010, 17:09
i don't think you are allowed to wed in a Catholic Church if you are divorced/annulled.. unless someone here tells me otherwise...

but that doesn't mean you can't get married in any other Christian church there...

pacificelectric
9th April 2010, 17:53
We prefer a Church-Wedding.

You like complications. As for now I do not have serious marriage plan as my relation with my Filipina gf is pretty shaky but being an apostate I know I will never encounter that type of problem. :icon_lol:

Arthur Little
9th April 2010, 20:07
As for now ... my relation with my Filipina gf is pretty shaky

:cwm24: Sorry to hear it ... :Erm: ... WHY'S that? Care to share? :rolleyes:

pacificelectric
9th April 2010, 20:37
Well she wants fast marriage, and I want to take my time....

Arthur Little
9th April 2010, 22:51
Well she wants fast marriage, and I want to take my time....

Hmm :rolleyes: ... in that case, best to be wary - and not let her "pressurise" you!

sars_notd_virus
10th April 2010, 02:22
Hello every1,

i plan to get married in the Philippines this June with my filippina fianceé.
I already got all the papers ready. We prefer a Church-Wedding.

1st Problem: I am divorced. Can i marry in church if i'm divorced? Or are there special conditions?

Hi i hope this link helps:
http://jlp-law.com/blog/judicial-rec...ivorce-decree/

As stated in the last two questions at the bottom:

Isn’t it enough that I already forwarded the divorce decree to the Philippine Embassy (or the Department of Foreign Affairs) and the National Statistics Office (NSO)?

No. The foreign divorce decree must be recognized here in the Philippines; a process which may only be done through the courts.

and

Why should we waste money in filing a petition in court for the recognition of the divorce decree?

This is the requirement of law, unfortunately. The divorce decree must be proven, just like any fact, in court. The presentation of the divorce decree is insufficient. Proof of its authenticity and due execution must be presented. This necessarily entails proving the applicable laws of the jurisdiction where the foreigner-spouse (who could be a former Filipino) is a national. One of the requirements under Article 26 is that the decree of divorce must be valid according to the national law of the foreigner.