PDA

View Full Version : "Spoilt Rotten" BBC Panorama

Dedworth
14th April 2010, 00:26
Shocking programme showing Liverpool kids with preventable conditions at Alder Hey Childrens Hospital - by preventable they mean conditions allowed to prevail by their moronic parents eg a 5 year old boy weighing 65kg........ pig ignorant mother reckons it is genetic rather than junk food diet and lack of exercise.

"McCauley" who has an ASBO at 13 necking half a bottle of vodka a day, kids ear tubes blocked by their parents heavy smoking, 16 year old girl weighing 200kg, 3yr old having 9 milk teeth pulled out

It is disgusting costing NHS money because of these neanderthal parents most of whom should be put down.

:angry:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00s2mh1/Panorama_Spoilt_Rotten/

triple5
14th April 2010, 03:29
It's scary what's happening to some kids in the UK. The benefits culture and consumerism has spawned some right brats. I'm sure a lot of mental illness and depression is down to people having had pampered childhoods, then finding the reality of adulthood - and having to stand on their own two feet - isn't a bed of roses.

keithAngel
14th April 2010, 05:43
Sounds more like abuse than pampering

Arthur Little
14th April 2010, 11:49
:olddude: IMO, a lot of the blame can be laid at the doors of too many working mums ... leaving young kids free to roam the streets after school - then feeding them ready-made junk-foods at teatime - following which, they're allowed still more liberty to watch totally unsuitable and inane programmes on television. :doh

joebloggs
14th April 2010, 13:12
:olddude: IMO, a lot of the blame can be laid at the doors of too many working mums ... leaving young kids free to roam the streets after school - then feeding them ready-made junk-foods at teatime - following which, they're allowed still more liberty to watch totally unsuitable and inane programmes on television. :doh

sounds like you've been spying on me :D

you cant blame the moms for working Arthur, many dont have a choice they have to work to pay the bills :doh

triple5
14th April 2010, 15:06
many dont have a choice they have to work to pay the bills :doh

Although that's true in a lot of cases, for many its all about the lifestyle. They want the big house, 2 cars, nice holidays and to keep up with the Joneses. A lot of these working mothers could easily downgrade and stay at home.

johncar54
14th April 2010, 15:45
Although that's true in a lot of cases, for many its all about the lifestyle. They want the big house, 2 cars, nice holidays and to keep up with the Joneses. A lot of these working mothers could easily downgrade and stay at home.

Yes Triple5 I think you have hit the nail. People have been brainwashed into 'knowing' that they really 'need' the consumer products which at one time were considered luxuries are now seen as necessities.

I remember some years ago that UK had both the highest employment but also the highest unemployment levels in Europe. Seems an impossible situation but in UK almost all married women were registered workers unlike the rest of Europe.

Arthur Little
14th April 2010, 15:58

Well, speaking for my own mother, :rolleyes: SHE gave up work on getting married in 1941 ... three years before I [the elder of two brothers] was born. She only decided to take (what she called) a "wee job" again in 1968 ... a few months after my wedding ... and then had to give it up in 1976 at the age of 60 - which was the statutory retiral age for women back in those days.

I have to say that my younger brother and I benefitted in a great many respects from our mother being at home for us returning from school. Oh sure, plenty other kids' *mums were out working ... even in the 1950s ... but *THEY were the ones that DID want all the "trappings" of the "good life" - for no reason other than to "keep up with the Joneses" as Triple has mentioned above. So yes, Joe - whilst I accept the "needs must" :anerikke: plea in SOME cases, there are many more married women (with pre-school-age children) to whom this argument does NOT apply, since the husband and father is already earning a salary that is adequately sufficient to support his wife and young family.

Ann07
14th April 2010, 16:52
I feel so sorry for the kids in the programme:NoNo::NoNo: I'm a working mum too ( partime) but i make sure i dont overfeed or give my boys junk foods.:Erm::Erm:

Northerner
14th April 2010, 17:07

Perhaps true Arthur, but in todays world it is rare that you can have just one parent working and the other at home. The £ just isn't worth what it used to be:NoNo:

aromulus
14th April 2010, 18:20
you cant blame the moms for working Arthur, many dont have a choice they have to work to pay the bills :doh

In Manchester and Liverpool, lots of mums have to leave their kids in nursery before going to school....:rolleyes:

Arthur Little
14th April 2010, 18:25
Perhaps true Arthur, but in todays world it is rare that you can have just one parent working and the other at home. *The £ just isn't worth what it used to be:NoNo:

*:iagree: ... but in bygone days, wages were infinitesimally small by comparison - yet fewer married women with kids felt the need to go out to work - and there seemed to be more contentment all round.

Arthur Little
14th April 2010, 18:33
In Manchester and Liverpool, lots of mums have to leave their kids in nursery before going to school....:rolleyes:

Sadly, not only in Manchester and Liverpool :NoNo: ... the ENTIRE country seems to be "awash" with underage mums these days! :doh

joebloggs
14th April 2010, 18:57
It's scary what's happening to some kids in the UK. The benefits culture and consumerism has spawned some right brats. I'm sure a lot of mental illness and depression is down to people having had pampered childhoods, then finding the reality of adulthood - and having to stand on their own two feet - isn't a bed of roses.

well wait a few years they could be both at the same school :laugher: :doh

i phoned up the tax creds people (inland rev) and they've got new security checks, they have access to your information Experian have on you :yikes:

so i wonder if the HO have access to :Erm:

Doc Alan
14th April 2010, 19:00
in bygone days, wages were infinitesimally small by comparison - yet fewer married women with kids felt the need to go out to work - and there seemed to be more contentment all round.
How times have changed:doh. My Mum was a doctor, graduating during World War II. There were far fewer female medical students then (and the exams were no easier just because there was a war:yikes:). She did her first year as a junior doctor living in hospital for no salary :NoNo:. Now over half of all medical graduates are female. Luckily, for various reasons, my Mum didn't have to work full time until my brother and I were teenagers, and it would have been a waste of her training and talent if she hadn't been able to do that. But as kids we were glad to have her around home :xxgrinning--00xx3:.

joebloggs
14th April 2010, 19:23
How times have changed:doh. My Mum was a doctor, graduating during World War II. There were far fewer female medical students then (and the exams were no easier just because there was a war:yikes:). She did her first year as a junior doctor living in hospital for no salary :NoNo:. Now over half of all medical graduates are female. Luckily, for various reasons, my Mum didn't have to work full time until my brother and I were teenagers, and it would have been a waste of her training and talent if she hadn't been able to do that. But as kids we were glad to have her around home :xxgrinning--00xx3:.

funny this being mentioned now, my misses after 2 months of applying for any SHO job, out of the blue, she got a call today from a hospital 50 miles away and after a chat, shes got a interview on Tuesday, its only for 3 months, but its a start..

now after more than 10yrs at uni, and tens of £1,000s spent, which one of you wants to tell her she should stay at home and look after the kids :cwm3::action-smiley-060::poke::xxsport-smiley-002:

my misses has made many sacrifices to get this far. its taken all our savings and wages, we don't have a plasma tv, never-mind a 50" one, we've not been back to the phils for 5yrs, nearest thing we've had to a holiday was half a day in blackpool last sat .. :angry:

Arthur Little
14th April 2010, 19:32
... as kids we were glad to have her around home :xxgrinning--00xx3:.

Absolutely, Alan; :gp: ... to my mind, it's vital for a mother to be at home for her offspring ... during their formative years in particular!

aromulus
14th April 2010, 19:32
we've not been back to the phils for 5yrs, nearest thing we've had to a holiday was half a day in blackpool last sat .. :angry:

Pity we don't own a caravan in Rhyl, otherwise you could have it for a few weeks....:D

joebloggs
14th April 2010, 19:38
Pity we don't own a caravan in Rhyl, otherwise you could have it for a few weeks....:D

but where would your Baltic lodgers go dom :rolleyes:

pitty you've not got a caravan near lancaster general dom :D

Arthur Little
14th April 2010, 19:58
How times have changed:doh My Mum was a doctor, graduating during World War II. There were far fewer female medical students then (and the exams were no easier just because there was a war:yikes:). She did her first year as a junior doctor living in hospital for no salary :NoNo:. Now over half of all medical graduates are female. Luckily, for various reasons, my Mum didn't have to work full time until my brother and I were teenagers, and it would have been a waste of her training and talent if she hadn't been able to do that. But as kids we were glad to have her around home :xxgrinning--00xx3:.

Interesting to learn your mother had been a doctor too, Alan. :rolleyes: And you're right ... "how times HAVE changed!". I knew that there was a much smaller intake of female entrants to the Medical Profession back in those days. But I hadn't realised that the few that there were had been unsalaried during their first year as junior doctors. Can you imagine the outcry there'd be if that were the case nowadays? :omg:

I salute your mum for putting her career on hold until her boys reached adolescence. As you say, it WOULD, indeed, have been a waste of her training and talent had she been prevented from utilising her skills by that point. :cwm24:

Arthur Little
14th April 2010, 22:02
now after more than 10yrs at uni, and tens of £1,000s spent, which one of you wants to tell her she should stay at home and look after the kids :cwm3::action-smiley-060::poke::xxsport-smiley-002:

my misses has made many sacrifices to get this far. its taken all our savings and wages, we don't have a plasma tv, never-mind a 50" one, we've not been back to the phils for 5yrs, nearest thing we've had to a holiday was half a day in blackpool last sat .. :angry:

I take your point, Joe. For starters, it SHOULDN'T be necessary for a qualified, already-practising and fully competent doctor from the Phils ... or any other country, for that matter ... to undergo all that amount of further study and/or re-training when he or she emigrates abroad. Sadly, :bigcry: it seems to be a factor common to most - if not all professions - as I'm only too well aware with my wife being a schoolteacher.

It goes without saying, that YOUR missus will be keen to fulfill her potential and reap the rewards of all her hard work and financial sacrifice [as will YOU] and far be it from me to disagree with what is, after all, perfectly logical as well as understandable. At the same time, MY conclusions are admittedly drawn from [my own] childhood experiences of my mother always BEING there for her two children. Equally, I suppose I'm influenced by the fact that, in recent times, my daughter gave up a satisfying (and extremely lucrative) career as a Speech & Language Therapist with Grampian Healthcare in order to devote herself to full-time motherhood at the age of 37.

I would like to finish off by wishing your missus all the very best for her interview at Lancaster Royal Infirmary, next Tuesday. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Doc Alan
14th April 2010, 23:06
I would like to finish off by wishing your missus all the very best for her interview at Lancaster Royal Infirmary, next Tuesday. :xxgrinning--00xx3:
...same from me and, I'm sure, all your friends on the forum:xxgrinning--00xx3:
I realise that the thread started on a different theme, but reading the replies has reminded me how lucky I was :).