17th April 2010, 09:53
Manila in the 30,s

dvpbsyNcI3I

triple5
17th April 2010, 10:13
Nice find :xxgrinning--00xx3:

pennybarry
17th April 2010, 11:02
Thanks to the person who took the video and Keith for sharing it.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Old Manila was still the best. The people were wearing decent clothes and most women wearing our native dress. Fantastic! The old cars looks amazing but sad to say, I have never ever seen any of that car preserved like the UK do.

You can still see those buildings in Plaza Goiti, Intramuros, Malacaņan Palace and Plaza Lawton, and Manila Hotel is still rate as 5 star. We still have some Kalesa and salakot.

But New Manila is polluted now. Sad to say! You'll not see any woman wearing our native clothes. :D
Makati is now the modern city not Manila.

keithAngel
18th April 2010, 02:20
Everyones driving on the proper side of the road to:icon_lol:

Doc Alan
18th April 2010, 07:40
Thanks Keith, and Penny for the historical notes. Don't suppose there have been horse-drawn buses, or carabao, in Manila, for many years.
The "commonwealth" referred to is American, with Manuel Quezon as President, and a promise of independence delayed until July 1946 by World War II.

KeithD
18th April 2010, 09:08
The commentator mentions how bad the roads are ... glad they've sorted that out then :rolleyes:

somebody
18th April 2010, 14:00
Speaking to the Wifes Late Lola (may she rest in peace) and her older sisters I do remeber hearing how it had become so different for them though the decades and sadly in their memory never any better:NoNo:

Im not sure i want the wife in one of the tradtional outfits she might have my eye out if she turns quickly:D

bod
21st June 2010, 20:09
fantastic find, oh how it has changed!:doh

gWaPito
21st June 2010, 20:56
Seems to me the country has gone backward, you go to the same place now, it's full of jeepneys blowing out engine oil in the form of black smoke:NoNo:

Marco and co may of made a mistake not letting the USA adding it to there states still, you have to look after your own:NoNo:

Good post, Kieth:xxgrinning--00xx3: I will save that. Thanks

gWaPito
21st June 2010, 20:58
The commentator mentions how bad the roads are ... glad they've sorted that out then :rolleyes:

:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::xxgrinning--00xx3:

davey
8th July 2010, 22:06
Fantastic find:xxgrinning--00xx3:

James Hubbard
8th July 2010, 22:38
Ermita used to be a nice place? Gosh, now it's a skid row :cwm24::NoNo:

Wow, it seems manila used to be so beautiful... but sadly now, when i am there on "official business" i can't wait to get away from it - so i can get back to a more subdued calm place.

James Hubbard
8th July 2010, 22:40
Don't suppose there have been horse-drawn buses, or carabao, in Manila, for many years.

Yes, I think Modern Manila is far too fast paced for that now.

Indeed, where I used to live, it was not unusual to see daily people riding in caribao-drawn carriages - they were the ones holding up the cars!

Bahala na!

Pete/London
8th July 2010, 23:46
I like the hustle and bustle of Manila but an ex military friend took me the a very serene and beautiful American war cemetery at Fort Bonifacio just outside Manila.

I know it wont be to everyone`s taste but if you are at a loose end for a afternoon its worth visiting for the view over Manila Bay. It also has map rooms showing the retaking of the P.I. from the Japanese.

-sillybilly-
8th July 2010, 23:55
Ermita used to be a nice place? Gosh, now it's a skid row :cwm24::NoNo:

Wow, it seems manila used to be so beautiful... but sadly now, when i am there on "official business" i can't wait to get away from it - so i can get back to a more subdued calm place.

Everytime i go to Manila i have to get my Auntie to come pick me up at the bus station as i am too scared to either get on a cab or jeepney...and walking down the busy street...dont know why but im now scared doing that not like years ago...

raynaputi
9th July 2010, 04:40
well i live in Manila but im doing fine eversince i can remember..i like it being too fast paced and the hustle and bustle too..yeah it's great to be in places where u can find serenity..but for me it's just an escape from time to time from the busy life i have..i'm a true city girl i can say..although i once lived in Singapore which they say is a very safe place to live yet i didnt like it there..too boring for me..

JimOttley
22nd August 2010, 13:35
Fascinating video, great to see so many places I've been to as they once were.

Only 2 months ago I was at my friends wedding which was in that Franciscan Church and the reception held at the Manila Hotel.

Wonderful to see the place with so little traffic but sad to see that the poverty was evident even then.

Me I love Manila with all it's hustle and bustle, it's a dump now but it's a lovable dump.

Jim