PDA

View Full Version : Help - Stuck in Philipines anyone have any ideas how we can get home?

MarBell379
18th April 2010, 02:57
Hi all

Rona and I are in Balayan, Batangas right now, facing a 6 hour (ish) round trip to Manila airport as noone is answering phones.

We are due to fly home to UK today via Dubai. The first leg remains OK but the second leg is cancelled. Expedia don't answer (huuuuge phonebill just listening to hold music and 'your call is important' FFS) Emirates UK won't even ring. Emirates Phils just gets me a recorded message. Emirates Dubai redirect me to a fax number in Phils!!!! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrgghhh!

Does anyone have any ideas how we might get to the UK?
I think I might be able to move flights so I can get to spain or similar, but Rona has a UK visa and I'm not sure how we can manage this.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

fred
18th April 2010, 03:07
Hi all

Rona and I are in Balayan, Batangas right now, facing a 6 hour (ish) round trip to Manila airport as noone is answering phones.

We are due to fly home to UK today via Dubai. The first leg remains OK but the second leg is cancelled. Expedia don't answer (huuuuge phonebill just listening to hold music and 'your call is important' FFS) Emirates UK won't even ring. Emirates Phils just gets me a recorded message. Emirates Dubai redirect me to a fax number in Phils!!!! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrgghhh!

I think I might be able to move flights so I can get to spain or similar, but Rona has a UK visa and I'm not sure how we can manage this.

Thanks

Looks like you are on your own..Unbelievable state of affairs..
My mate is asking if he can sleep in one of my communal hallways as Im fully booked and cannot offer him a room.
He thought he was insured against this type of thing..
Good luck.

keithAngel
18th April 2010, 03:13
My take is you will have to show up for your flight If they take you half way then either the airline or your travel insurance will put you up in a hotel till a connection can be made :xxgrinning--00xx3:

fred
18th April 2010, 03:16
My take is you will have to show up for your flight If they take you half way then either the airline or your travel insurance will put you up in a hotel till a connection can be made :xxgrinning--00xx3:

My mate is supposed to be going via HK.. They wont let him on the HK flight.

keithAngel
18th April 2010, 03:21
My mate is supposed to be going via HK.. They wont let him on the HK flight.

Who wont?

keithAngel
18th April 2010, 03:43
A Foreign and Commonwealth Office 24-hour consular helpline has been set up on 020 7008 0000 for people stuck abroad.

International airlines are having to pay the hotel costs of hundreds of thousands of passengers stranded abroad. Sources said Virgin Atlantic was being obliged to shell out £10m a day to accommodate people it was unable to fly home.
“I’ve been in aviation for 40 years and these last few days have been utterly unique in terms of the disruption caused to the industry,” said Jim French, chief executive of Flybe.
“The financial impact on us will be less onerous because our services are primarily regional and domestic, but the International Air Transport Association’s estimate of the daily loss to the industry being in the region of £130m shows the kind of impact globally is pretty serious,” he said.
The repercussions for cargo airlines could be equally grave. Analyst Datamonitor said the industry, worth £2.9 billion a year in Britain, was losing more than £6.5m a day.

the times

there starting to talk about weeks to sort it

http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&ned=&q=uk+passengers+stranded+abroad

fred
18th April 2010, 04:02
Iceland volcano: Travel insurance confusion

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/8624717.stm

keithAngel
18th April 2010, 04:25
Iceland volcano: Travel insurance confusion

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/8624717.stm

re airlines

Thousands of flights have been cancelled and airlines will refund or rebook passengers to alternative flights. They also have a duty of care to offer stranded passengers hotel rooms and food.

Pete67
18th April 2010, 08:08
Hi all

Thanks

Do you have an Amex card at all? if so try an American Express travel office, you would classed as "a Cardmember under duress" .....
Hope you get home soon.

KeithD
18th April 2010, 09:07
You have to take the original flight to Dubai, the airline is then responsible for putting you up in a hotel, feeding you etc, as once you start the trip they are duty bound to get you home.

fred
18th April 2010, 10:01
You have to take the original flight to Dubai, the airline is then responsible for putting you up in a hotel, feeding you etc, as once you start the trip they are duty bound to get you home.

They are not allowing the journey to begin.:doh
They are telling passengers that these airports are already full.

somebody
18th April 2010, 11:31
re airlines

Thousands of flights have been cancelled and airlines will refund or rebook passengers to alternative flights. They also have a duty of care to offer stranded passengers hotel rooms and food.

I belive it depends on where the airline is based in regards to what actual basic rights you have.
But most international airline companies should be helping regardless the bad PR is more costly..

somebody
18th April 2010, 11:36
Hi all

Thanks

Maybe worth contacing the British Embassy and finding out via them if possible or directly with the spanish embassy if a transit or tempoary schgen visa can be issued?

Rob one of the mods here and im sure others have had tourist schgen visas from spain. For a British citzen and their spouse its normally fairly easy and im sure with the current issue they may be far more helpful. Also the schgen visa would then allow you to enter other countries in the eu.

So if u got to spain and needed to go portugal or france to get home for example you should be ok.

Englishman2010
18th April 2010, 14:16
Do you have an Amex card at all? if so try an American Express travel office, you would classed as "a Cardmember under duress" .....
Hope you get home soon.

I booked my flights with Amex Travel (Kanoo in Leicester), I have to say that the rep has been very helpful, he's even taking my details home with him and trying to sort me out in his spare time from home. He called me last night to say that if airspace opened up today he would go into the office on his day off and sort out my e-ticket for KLM and e-mail it to me.

I will definitely be using them again, assuming flights can resume this century.

Pete67
18th April 2010, 14:32
I booked my flights with Amex Travel (Kanoo in Leicester), I have to say that the rep has been very helpful, he's even taking my details home with him and trying to sort me out in his spare time from home. He called me last night to say that if airspace opened up today he would go into the office on his day off and sort out my e-ticket for KLM and e-mail it to me.

I will definitely be using them again, assuming flights can resume this century.

Good to hear some good news,,,, I work in disputes department for Amex in Brighton, and I'm jolly glad I am not on the airlines team....
When this is all over if you wished to recognise the rep please PM me and I could send some contact details as to how to go about it.
Hope you get things worked out soon...

Englishman2010
18th April 2010, 14:53
Thanks Pete, the rep in Leicester will definitely get a letter of thanks from me

somebody
18th April 2010, 16:17
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8627929.stm

This seems to be where the latest info on the "ASH" issue is being placed
by the BBC

Possibly if anyone else finds links which may have useful info we can place them here for people like Marbell379 :)

1042 Just a reminder that the Foreign Office website contains advice for British citizens stranded abroad, while relatives in the UK can call the FCO's emergency helpline number - 0207 008 0000 - if they are concerned.

1040 UK Transport Secretary Lord Adonis says further test flights are also set to take place in the UK later. Extra rail and ferry services have also been laid on.

"British embassies and consulates around the world are providing consular assistance to those that need it, visiting airports and working with the local authorities to help stranded UK citizens."

heres one which might be of use if you do go spain

stranded in Spain should try bus services. We got our son on a bus from Torrevieja (nr. Alicante) via Madrid to Paris at noon yesterday and he arrived in Paris lunchtime today. He says the coach companies were putting on extra buses from Madrid to Paris. The ferries from around Caen and Le Havre seem less booked up than the Calais ones and there are frequent trains from Paris St Lazare."

Another post Architect Mark Leslie tells the BBC about the "near mutiny" on Saturday night at Portsmouth's ferry terminal where immigration authorities insisted on checking passports.

How dare they check white middle class peoples passports!!

Pete67
18th April 2010, 18:13
Thanks Pete, the rep in Leicester will definitely get a letter of thanks from me

Nice one Sir, these kind courtesies are very much noticed by management in my company. We have a programme called "cardmember success stories" if you get featured, it means much less interference from your team leader...
which in turn means we are much better able to service our customers...
Good luck in getting home.

keithAngel
19th April 2010, 02:40
it means much less interference from your team leader...
which in turn means we are much better able to service our customers...:do_it:
Good luck in getting home.

:icon_lol:

fred
19th April 2010, 02:54
Oh dear!! Just texted my mate in Manila for news..He`s NOT happy..Text reads...
"Wait list on the 28th pissed off!!"

keithAngel
19th April 2010, 02:56
twer me id just carry on having an enforced soujourn in paradise:xxgrinning--00xx3:

fred
19th April 2010, 03:03
Yes Keith but he blew a whole load of cash in the Heritage hotel (4 nights)and God knows where else on his LAST 3 days!!
On his last day here on past visits he did 20K in a Makati bar 2 hr blow out.. Get the picture?
Hes been to airline today re:hotel bills..They dont want to know.

KeithD
19th April 2010, 08:52
Hes been to airline today re:hotel bills..They dont want to know.
They won't unless it's EU based..... His insurance should cover it though so keep all receipts.

MarBell379
21st April 2010, 02:50
Update from me is as follows.
The UK appearto be doing what they can to make it LOOK as if they're doing something, but no real communication is happening (at least to me). I.e. News says there is a rescue plan via Spain using Aircraft Carriers. Woopee doo - how do I get there and how do I get on an aircraft carrier? Can my wife come with me on a UK Visa that doesn't cover spain? I'm damn sure I can't just walk on to an aircraft carrier without some sort of approval.
No embassy will answer the phone here, UK, or in Spain. (I'm taking a trip to British Embassy in Manila embassy today).
Expedia have not even sent a text, email or phone call to let me know the initial flight was cancelled!!! DO NOT USE THEM for ANYTHING - I am appalled by this. (and yes, I have confirmed that all my contact details (and my wife's) are correct on their system).

Emirates - no answer from Phils office on Friday, not even a ring tone in the UK. Got through to Emirates Dubai! on Saturday who told me to call the Philippines office and gave me a FAX number (FFS!) Finally got the right number in Philipipnes and they were shut on Saturday and Sunday - Aaaaarrrggghhhh!

Took the trip to the airport - about 5 hrs all told once we'd had to travel to pick up lugage etc. Took another 3 hrs in the airport (including arguinig with the security guard to let us in with no luggage) as Emirates had ONE person advising each party individually that they would not accept us on the flight to Dubai as we were then in transit and they would have to pay. She also advised that no help would be forthcoming for accomodation bills etc (I'm still keeping receipts!), and advised me to call Emirates on Monday morning to reschedule.

Called on Monday - no answer. While waiting we travelled across Manila to the Emirates office (still on hold and only put the phone down 2 hrs later in the lobby). Upstairs, Turn right, 400 stranded people and 2 staff!!!! Cue a 7hr wait. (not as bad as the couple I was talking to who were there at least 2 hours before they realised they needed to take a ticket to get a number.) There is ZERO organisation on any of this. The travel agents and airlines are making ot much worse ffor thejmselves and everybody by not communicating or organising. If Emirates organised people into groups fro example (Travel to UK, travel to Germany etc) they could have dealt with 20 pple at once. We're all looking for the same thing, we don't need to be seen individually!

We are now booked on a flight leaving 4th May (Star Wars day - May the 4th be with us! :) ) and MAY be able to reschedule if airspace opens and we can get through to change it.

As the British Embassy aren't answering phones I am heading there now to find out what is happening ref the Spanish plan and see if I can wrangle my way onto that.

scott&ligaya
21st April 2010, 04:42
Although there is EU legislation (eu 261) Air France have not accomodated me in Hong Kong since Sunday and have given me 27th as 1st date. I am keeping all receipts and have started a legal claim on Air France via there customer complaints website. I am now about to start lambasting air france on any and all forums/platforms I can find. BA and others have accomdated economy ticket holders in the 4 star Park Lane hotel in Causeway bay for the last 5 days (over £175 per night) as it is trade fair season and everywhere is full.

DO NOT FLY AIR FRANCE OR KLM THEY HAVE ***** CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!!!!!!!

keithAngel
21st April 2010, 04:49
Although there is EU legislation (eu 261) Air France have not accomodated me in Hong Kong since Sunday and have given me 27th as 1st date. I am keeping all receipts and have started a legal claim on Air France via there customer complaints website. I am now about to start lambasting air france on any and all forums/platforms I can find. BA and others have accomdated economy ticket holders in the 4 star Park Lane hotel in Causeway bay for the last 5 days (over £175 per night) as it is trade fair season and everywhere is full.

DO NOT FLY AIR FRANCE OR KLM THEY HAVE ***** CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!!!!!!!

would be cheaper to fly back to the phils and stay at a resort and aguably you would be protecting your carrier or insurance against higher costs:)

scott&ligaya
21st April 2010, 06:20
True, but I had just come off a 3 1/2week vacation in the Phils and need to back at work. My company has an office here so at least I can work and as I used to kive in Hong Kong I am very familiar with everything here and an am able to stay with mates (not that Air France know that of course). I am just pissed at their attitude

MarBell379
21st April 2010, 15:41
Update - no response from the British Embassy other than to say contact your travel agent and airline.
Expedia still wont answer calls and have still not texted, emailed or called eith any information whatsoever.

Queued at Emirates for anothr 5 hrs ish today to be told that although airspace is now open, 11th May is the earliest they're booking tickets for and to stick with my 4th May tickets. I will be continuing to call or visit their offices in the hope of getting this shifted back sooner, work aren't greatly happy with the situation, even though I am able to work to a large degree from Phils.

ANyone know any good, cheapish hotels in Manila (I'd rather be within 1hr of the airport in case of any last minute calls). Ideally with a pool as I'm not travelling much now and would be grateful of somewhere to chilll instead of stressing all the time.

keithAngel
21st April 2010, 18:43
Update - no response from the British Embassy other than to say contact your travel agent and airline.
Expedia still wont answer calls and have still not texted, emailed or called eith any information whatsoever.

Queued at Emirates for anothr 5 hrs ish today to be told that although airspace is now open, 11th May is the earliest they're booking tickets for and to stick with my 4th May tickets. I will be continuing to call or visit their offices in the hope of getting this shifted back sooner, work aren't greatly happy with the situation, even though I am able to work to a large degree from Phils.

ANyone know any good, cheapish hotels in Manila (I'd rather be within 1hr of the airport in case of any last minute calls). Ideally with a pool as I'm not travelling much now and would be grateful of somewhere to chilll instead of stressing all the time.

No pool but you can self cater and free wifi

http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php?t=22941

scott&ligaya
22nd April 2010, 02:46
you can stay at mabuhay manor in Pasay around 3k pere night and has average size pool. Only 20 mins to aiirport and across Roxas Blvd from Mall of Asia, just google it. Very clean and respectable.

fred
22nd April 2010, 03:12
you can stay at mabuhay manor in Pasay around 3k pere night and has average size pool. Only 20 mins to aiirport and across Roxas Blvd from Mall of Asia, just google it. Very clean and respectable.

Or for another tenner you can stay in the Heritage which is also across from mall of Asia..(Book on-line though via discount site)
Theres a resort in Imus that from memory has a nice pool..Around 2,500 P ,per night.

scott&ligaya
22nd April 2010, 04:27
thanks Fred, long time since I used the Heritage, (was over 6k) just checked with Agoda and you can get deluxe room for £55 or 3750 pesos. The Manor iis okay biut the Heritage is far superior hotel especially since the room refurbishments. We will start using the Heritage again. By the way do you remember me talking to you here about paying youu to fly over to Palawan to have a thorough look over our house before we decide to renovate it or flatten it and start over? My wife and babies are going to stop there for several months from mid may so if you have time I would value your opinion on our place as I have been merrily ripped of and misled by various local tradesmen.

Scott

fred
22nd April 2010, 05:22
Scott...PM sent.

scott&ligaya
27th April 2010, 12:07
At last my flight back to Birmingham leaves tonight. I have not had a crap time in my enforced stay in Hong Kong having lived there before (met my honey there and had our 1st baby) but I have been away over a month now with our three week vacation in the Phils and I want a decent full English and a proper dark ale:Jump::Jump:

Ligaya and the little ones are stopping on for several months whilst we hire a nanny to bring to the UK so I need to survive without Thai, Malay, Chinese and some Pinoy food and of course my moving blanket!!!!! Oh well there is always those websites that keith and Joe were telling me aboiut:yikes::yikes:

joebloggs
27th April 2010, 13:03
Ligaya and the little ones are stopping on for several months whilst we hire a nanny to bring to the UK

you need to have employed the nanny for at least one year with evidence before you can apply for a visa for her.

scott&ligaya
28th April 2010, 06:20
here that Joe, we have already hired, paying SSS and got proper contract and set up her bank account for 1st wages. We have friends who applied at 9and even 8 months and been successful so we will try around christmas and hopefully they fly back in late Jan. We have good medical support from her specialist and GP here for the home office side in the UK stating she has a "for life" condition that when it flares up she is unable to care for the children due to very painful joints (she has dermatomyasis(wrong spelling I think). if it takes a a year or more so be it we need to have someone in the house she trusts. We tried European aupair but they did not get on.

We will see what happens and thanks for the reminder Joe