PDA

View Full Version : What Gifts?

KeithD
21st April 2010, 13:13
Although this question has been asked a few times in the past, we have a number of folk who are heading out to the Phil in the next few months?

This question is mainly to the ladies in the Phil. What gifts should Brits take for you, family, etc?

One thing to Brits, don't take 9ct Gold ... it's like toy metal out there :D

cessxy
21st April 2010, 14:07
Hermes Bag, perfume and make up :D

KeithD
21st April 2010, 14:11
Herpes Bag
:omg:

raynaputi
21st April 2010, 14:14
Although this question has been asked a few times in the past, we have a number of folk who are heading out to the Phil in the next few months?

This question is mainly to the ladies in the Phil. What gifts should Brits take for you, family, etc?

hmm..if you'd ask me..:Erm: Havaianas size 37/38 hahahaha :D :xxgrinning--00xx3:...LOL! I don't think you guys have that there...:Rasp: for me, it doesn't matter if the guy would bring gifts or not..but i think most families would expect him to treat them out to dinner or something that would make the whole family meet him, spend time with him and know him more..well, just what i think..haha..

sars_notd_virus
21st April 2010, 14:21
electronic gadgets :
netbook , laptop,router,play station ,mobile fones for my daughter and i,

foods/sweets/alcoholic beverages
guinness and cider,mars bars, cadburys ,hobnobs, rowntrees fruit pastilles,(share with mums and aunts)

footwear(my favorite:rolleyes:)numerous nikes trainers,heelys for my daughters,

etc...
footie shirts,baseball cap,germolene, e45

this is some of the gifts my husband brought me..ain't i a lucky girl??:heartshape1::heartshape1:

cheeky
21st April 2010, 14:24
lots of chocolates for my niece and sisters...perfume,and make up,clothes,face cream...next time will be my LV bag can't wait for it....but the best gift of all is to see my one and only love, my fiance colin...:heartshape1::heartshape1::heartshape1:

raynaputi
21st April 2010, 14:25
electronic gadgets :
netbook , laptop,router,play station ,mobile fones....

OH YEAH!!! THESE WOULD BE GREAT!!!! :xxgrinning--00xx3: :D

Doc Alan
21st April 2010, 14:29
The list is growing rapidly !:) 10 shopping days to go !:xxgrinning--00xx3:

jam07
21st April 2010, 14:33

... an LSO (London Symphony Orchestra) t-shirt, mugs, cd's, pen, ect; music scores for strings or full orchestra (its hard to find one here and its quite expensive), gold violin strings :rolleyes:; perfumes and lipsticks :xxgrinning--00xx3: :rolleyes:

sars_notd_virus
21st April 2010, 14:34
my one and only love, my fiance colin...:heartshape1::heartshape1::heartshape1:

:heartshape1:yes sis love my husbands 'special prezzie' for me as always :rolleyes:tied in red ribbon:Rasp:

Notavirusalso
21st April 2010, 14:35
electronic gadgets :
netbook , laptop,router,play station ,mobile fones for my daughter and i,

foods/sweets/alcoholic beverages
guinness and cider,mars bars, cadburys ,hobnobs, rowntrees fruit pastilles,(share with mums and aunts)

footwear(my favorite:rolleyes:)numerous nikes trainers,heelys for my daughters,

etc...
footie shirts,baseball cap,germolene, e45

this is some of the gifts my husband brought me..ain't i a lucky girl??:heartshape1::heartshape1:

And perfume Hunnie i think it was cold water by david hasselhoff

maria_and_matt
21st April 2010, 14:35
money lotsa money:rolleyes:

Notavirusalso
21st April 2010, 14:41
MY suitcase is allways a lot lighter on my return trip

sars_notd_virus
21st April 2010, 14:43
cold water by david hasselhoff

:Erm::Erm:thats why it took u so long to find it...

Hunnie, its Cool water by Davidoff:icon_lol::icon_lol:

Doc Alan
21st April 2010, 14:46
:Erm::Erm:thats why it took u so long to find it...

Hunnie, its Cool water by Davidoff:icon_lol::icon_lol:yes, no Hassell :xxgrinning--00xx3:

cheeky
21st April 2010, 14:46
MY suitcase is allways a lot lighter on my return trip

my fiance said the same thing...i can even get inside his suitcase:icon_lol:

South-east boy
21st April 2010, 14:47
OH YEAH!!! THESE WOULD BE GREAT!!!! :xxgrinning--00xx3: :D

And I bet they would be! :omg: :icon_lol: Wow! Some of you women sure have expensive tastes! :rolleyes: :icon_lol:

I've not had a single surprise prezzie from a partner/girl I've been seeing in my whole life! :cwm24: It's also a complete waste of time me buying any for anyone as they always end up finishing with me for no obvious reason and I'm left stuck with their presents! :doh

Tonet
21st April 2010, 14:49
When Philip visited me in Philippines He never brought any pasalubong because i asked him not too. I dont want my family t get used to having pasalubong, also i have a very big family so it will cost him a lot, but he treat them for meals etc.

Even when i went home i still didn't buy any gifts simply because i cant afford. Instead i used the money to treat my whole family to meals, drinks, we went to star city, skating, billiards, bowling etc.

But i think perfume, mobile phones, wines and cigarettes are nice gifts..

triple5
21st April 2010, 14:53
Wow! Some of you women sure have expensive tastes!

My thought exactly. Am so glad my girl's not materialistic. Any guys reading this, just get chocolates or pick up some perfume at the airport, don't go overboard, you'll just be making a rod for your own back.

cheeky
21st April 2010, 15:08
i remember the first time i met my fiance in person i didn't asked him for any gifts cox he didn't ask me too..i was surprise that he handed me this perfume and money lol...can u believe that in our first date he gave me money.... very generous guy...

malditako
21st April 2010, 15:14
perfume and lots of chocolates

cheeky
21st April 2010, 15:19
My thought exactly. Am so glad my girl's not materialistic. Any guys reading this, just get chocolates or pick up some perfume at the airport, don't go overboard, you'll just be making a rod for your own back.

well i think the important thing is he is happy doing it and he can afford it...my fiance is so happy buying things for me...

South-east boy
21st April 2010, 15:20
perfume and lots of chocolates

Umghh, perfume is quite tricky as it's quite personal and what one person likes, another hates! Any favourites with you ladies apart from the Cool water previously mentioned?

malditako
21st April 2010, 15:25
Umghh, perfume is quite tricky as it's quite personal and what one person likes, another hates! Any favourites with you ladies apart from the Cool water previously mentioned?

jadore by christian dior and burberry...armani white smells nice as well :)

cheeky
21st April 2010, 15:26

yvesSaintLAURENT PARISIENNE is very feminine and calvin klien secret obsession is nice too..:xxgrinning--00xx3:

raynaputi
21st April 2010, 15:28
...Any favourites with you ladies apart from the Cool water previously mentioned?

Pleasures by Estee Lauder and Clinique Happy! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

triple5
21st April 2010, 15:29
well i think the important thing is he is happy doing it and he can afford it...my fiance is so happy buying things for me...

That's fair enough, but there's lots of blokes who make that first trip who can't afford it. They'll stumble across this and think they're going to have to buy notebooks etc :doh And, of course, start to worry that the girl they're going to meet is just in it for the money and gifts :rolleyes:

Would have been nice to see more replies like Rayna's -

for me, it doesn't matter if the guy would bring gifts or not..but i think most families would expect him to treat them out to dinner or something that would make the whole family meet him, spend time with him and know him more..well, just what i think..haha..

I just hope ///Tony\\\ hasn't been reading some of the answers :D

jam07
21st April 2010, 15:35

Clinique Happy is my untimate fave perfume... I also like Glow by JLo :xxgrinning--00xx3:

sars_notd_virus
21st April 2010, 15:36

nothing to do with being materialistic,,, my hubby just likes me to have nice things which we can afford..and he knows he gets a fantastic :icon_tonguew: b10wjb for his thoughtfullness.... if he turned up at the airport and said " oh hi hunnie..brb just gonna buy u some chocolates as i didnt bother thinking to bring u anything at all... he will be lucky to have a handjob

Notavirusalso
21st April 2010, 15:37
Well judgeing by some of the male replies i guess a single red rose and a kitkat would surfice......personally i like to be a little more frivolous besides its not the reciveing but the giving that matters

cheeky
21st April 2010, 15:42
nothing to do with being materialistic,,, my hubby just likes me to have nice things which we can afford..and he knows he gets a fantastic :sexy_146:for his thoughtfullness.... if he turned up at the airport and said " oh hi hunnie..brb just gonna buy u some chocolates as i didnt bother thinking to bring u anything at all... he will be lucky to have a handjob

:xxgrinning--00xx3: last february my fiance keep asking what gift i want for valentines i said i don't want anything just want to see u...but still he bought me a new perfume again even i have plenty of them already....:D

South-east boy
21st April 2010, 15:43
Maybe more expensive gifts (as long as you can afford it of course) once you have met at least a couple of times & things are going well, but such things as netbooks, mobile phones and laptops @ the first visit is going overboard and like said, could make things worse for yourself in the future if such things come to be expected each time.

Perfume, chocolates, make-up, toiletries and jewellery (non-gold/prescious stones etc of course because of customs) all sound good ones to me, but some are tricky for a guys to buy (such as make-up!) especially if you want them to be surprises which I like to do!

triple5
21st April 2010, 15:46
nothing to do with being materialistic,,, my hubby just likes me to have nice things which we can afford..and he knows he gets a fantastic :icon_tonguew: b10wjb for his thoughtfullness.... if he turned up at the airport and said " oh hi hunnie..brb just gonna buy u some chocolates as i didnt bother thinking to bring u anything at all... he will be lucky to have a handjob

So the more he spends the more :do_it: he gets :Erm:

sars_notd_virus
21st April 2010, 16:02
So the more he spends the more :do_it: he gets :Erm:

Not really my hubby shares what he can give me and me to him as well when he gets home here he got lots of prezzies from me too like tshirts,summer/combat pants,flip flops and we enjoy lots of sensual lovemaking,..i guess thats all that matters having in each others arms
and
a vibrating cellphone:)

Notavirusalso
21st April 2010, 16:20

Doesnt say anything about the first time, just says what gifts should brits take , if you are of a mind set to take nothing or very little to show your effection whats the point in reading/responding to this thread. its not asking you to say how little you should take in your own opinon its aking for gift ideas... these are gift ideas.. i think its rude to call ppl materialistic just because they like nice things ...they havent put an importance to them, thats like me calling someone who thinks they should take very little if anything a stingy old miser.which i wouldnt do... they might have very good reasons for being thrifty...Happy shopping

KeithD
21st April 2010, 17:55
You can have a bottle of Manc Sewage Water and like it :D

..and he knows he gets a fantastic :icon_tonguew: b10wjb for his thoughtfullness....
:cwm24: .... any video's :omg:

IainBusby
21st April 2010, 18:40

:laugher::laugher::laugher:

Sim11UK
21st April 2010, 19:57

Got to agree with you here Triple, some of the gift ideas will scare a first time visitor to death. :NoNo: Don't anyone feel pressured into buying expensive gifts, it's not worth it.

I did take some nice perfume & nice chocolates, the first time, but my wife dosen't really like chocolate & she's not materialistic & neither am I.

If I was expected to bring everything & the kitchen sink, I would have put plan B into action, when I first met her, which was scarper! :Bolt:

triple5
22nd April 2010, 00:17
Doesnt say anything about the first time, just says what gifts should brits take , if you are of a mind set to take nothing or very little to show your effection whats the point in reading/responding to this thread. its not asking you to say how little you should take in your own opinon its aking for gift ideas... these are gift ideas.. i think its rude to call ppl materialistic just because they like nice things ...they havent put an importance to them, thats like me calling someone who thinks they should take very little if anything a stingy old miser.which i wouldnt do... they might have very good reasons for being thrifty...Happy shopping

I wasn't calling anybody materialistic, just saying I'm glad my missus isn't. Like Sim says some of the gift ideas that have been mentioned here are going to frighten guys off. Laptops, phones, playstations :doh Feel free to call me a miser :D I think I've just been sensible, which is not to say I've been a total skinflint. Of course, I've bought gifts for her and her immediate family; without going over the top.

If I ever thought my sex life was being determined by :REGamblMoney01HL1: I would soon :ARsurrender:

cheeky
22nd April 2010, 05:34
I wasn't calling anybody materialistic, just saying I'm glad my missus isn't. Like Sim says some of the gift ideas that have been mentioned here are going to frighten guys off. Laptops, phones, playstations :doh Feel free to call me a miser :D I think I've just been sensible, which is not to say I've been a total skinflint. Of course, I've bought gifts for her and her immediate family; without going over the top.

If I ever thought my sex life was being determined by :REGamblMoney01HL1: I would soon :ARsurrender:

I think everyone agrees, giving is a personal decision, and everyone one and every relationship is different.If you feel you know someone enough to buy a gift then there is nothing worng with that.One man's or one woman's idea of a gift, is different to another. Accept there are some obvious pitfalls to avoid in a brand new relationship, but as a lot of people have said in this thread, if you enjoy the giving and she enjoys the recieving then great. spend what you can afford, and do whatever rocks your boat. I can afford to lavish my fiancee with perfume, dozen red roses and even mobile phone, and i enjoydoing it and she loves my attention.I am always asking is there anything she would like and she always (always) says, you are the most important thing and I know she means it.So I buy gifts and act romanctic because i enjoy it, she does and its creates some fun, love and excitement to an already strong and meaningful relationship. so to everyone....do what is right for u, what feels right, what you enjoy and tell each other how much you love each other each and everyday....that is the most important gift of all....kiss kiss my fiancee Maris....the best gift will be the fiancee visa next month.

KeithD
22nd April 2010, 09:34
Just take a load of sex toys.... they won't ask you for presents next time :D

raynaputi
22nd April 2010, 09:54
:Erm::Erm::Erm:

KeithD
22nd April 2010, 10:27
:Erm::Erm::Erm:
Don't tell me these are the normal gifts you receive? :cwm24:

raynaputi
22nd April 2010, 11:49
Don't tell me these are the normal gifts you receive? :cwm24:
Honestly, i cant remember when's the last time i got a gift from a guy..i cant even remember if i received any..:Erm:

KeithD
22nd April 2010, 11:54
Honestly, i cant remember when's the last time i got a gift from a guy..i cant even remember if i received any..:Erm:
I know how you feel... I have to buy my own Xmas & birthday presents :doh

raynaputi
22nd April 2010, 14:50
I know how you feel... I have to buy my own Xmas & birthday presents :doh

Well, I didn't really expect gifts from them..If ever I wanted something, I'd rather buy it myself than ask them to buy it for me. ;) :xxgrinning--00xx3:

LEAHnew
23rd April 2010, 07:37

:yikes: have you started this business:D:rolleyes::Rasp:

My kukupops will be here soon:D I demanded stuff that I missed in UK like marmalade, custard (ambrosia), Bistro gravy and the ingredients for the triffle cake:D:icon_lol:
chocolates preferably snickers flapjack, Cadbury Dairy Milk Apricot Cumble Crunch and some Aldi's chocolates especially the snack bar with wafer :xxgrinning--00xx3:
and also some make up and perfume:D
the above post:Erm::rolleyes:maybe;):D:Rasp::yikes:

Northerner
23rd April 2010, 22:26
There is a huge discrepancy with what many Filipinos think westerners can freely afford.. I once asked Rizza for ideas on a small gift for her father before I arrived in the Philippines.

She told me a new motorbike would be nice:REGamblMoney01HL1:

Notavirusalso
30th April 2010, 10:15

we all pay one way or another else we wouldnt even bother going to work just some are so hooked up to the grid they fail to see it, but each to their own......

somebody
30th April 2010, 10:31
Great post as always Tonet! What a lot of the Ladies forget is one day you will most likely be in the UK and the family if they get used to lots of presents from the British will expect from whoever comes back.. Unless you are very lucky and very well off then you will find it expensive.
The hubby may not always come back with you (plenty of examples on here) and if your working you may find your forking out a lot thinking hey family im here also not just my Money....

Always get practical gifts or like Tonet suggests have great days out with all the family.. When the family members and friends dissapear off to munch the chocolate or play with the flash gadgets you brought and ignore you even if for a short while you may regret it when im guessing most of you may only spend a few weeks pers year there max once in the UK..

Why would i need to tip or pay my wife for favours and vice a versa????

If you think you need to pay your partner to love you then get the number of relate ready especially with the economy possibly heading south in the near future...

somebody
30th April 2010, 10:54
Maybe more expensive gifts (as long as you can afford it of course) once you have met at least a couple of times & things are going well, but such things as netbooks, mobile phones and laptops @ the first visit is going overboard and like said, could make things worse for yourself in the future if such things come to be expected each time.

Perfume, chocolates, make-up, toiletries and jewellery (non-gold/prescious stones etc of course because of customs) all sound good ones to me, but some are tricky for a guys to buy (such as make-up!) especially if you want them to be surprises which I like to do!

If its a long term relationship and your marrying into a family really get to know the family.

We buy presents for eveyone from Lolas Grave (Cross and rosearys from Vatican) to Lolo who wanted some tools as many of the Male family wanted, I managed to bulk buy a load of PSPS and DS's for the kids with games both fun and educational, obtained loads of not needed any more Mobiles from various sources. Many of the ladies who all got smellies and makeup from the wife who is in the trade with the older more religious ladies getting various Vatican blessed rosarys and other items. The younger girls all got clothes some new some nearly new all very happy.

Various friends and relatives wanted small in cost but impossible to get in phill items like Jam07 LSO gifts.

One of the best gifts we got was a small solar powered charger which charged both a very basic phone (in cpw often u can get 5 or 10 brand new phones in sales) and a torch which meant one of the Maids could take to her small shack where the family have no lecccy. All the family happy as they were worried when one time she was walking home and was attacked by a drunk as that night it was pitch black and missed her shack :NoNo:
We hope to send in the follow up box the wife fills with what she gets requested for another solar charger for them and a little radio and some of those solar charged lights which her aunts house already have and work rather well.

Far better to get priceless gifts than prcey gifts.

Like many of the ladies say of course they like gifts but make them practical as well as a few fun ones (even perfume and make up are practical to a lady like a shaving foam is to a guy) and have some thought behind them.