PDA

View Full Version : Work and spouse visa & public funds

Filipino
27th April 2010, 05:04
Hi all :Hellooo:

Plan to apply for spouse visa to UK soon.

Can anyone advise can I work in UK when I arrive, do I need to do anything and what is the procedure for being allowed to work?

What are public funds, I read there is no entitlement to them?

What would I be entitled to when i arrive in UK?

Thank you.

:)

joebloggs
27th April 2010, 06:42
yes you can work straight away, but you'll find it easier with a National Insurance number.

your probably not entitled to any public funds, but your partner maybe..
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/while-in-uk/rightsandresponsibilities/publicfunds/

thou you or your partner could be entitled to claim certain other 'benefits' depending on your circumstances eg if you have children..

Filipino
27th April 2010, 10:11
Thank you for the reply.

How about general health care cover, is that available from time of arrival or is it for emergency only or no cover at all.

Thank you so much

Arthur Little
27th April 2010, 11:03
How about general health care cover, is that available from time of arrival or is it for emergency only or no cover at all.

Thank you so much

Yes ... as the wife/husband of a British citizen, you're entitled to free healthcare under the National Health Service from the moment of your arrival ... simply take your passport [containing your spousal visa] along to the medical practice with which your husband/wife is registered, as proof of your marriage. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Arthur Little
27th April 2010, 11:16
:welcomex: to the Filipino/UK Forum ... and good luck with your forthcoming visa application.

triple5
27th April 2010, 14:07
I'm surprised that username hadn't been snapped up earlier :Erm: Welcome to the forum anyway :xxgrinning--00xx3:

liane
27th April 2010, 15:18
Hi :Wave: Welcome to the forum :xxgrinning--00xx3:

estherboaz
27th April 2010, 20:34
Yes ... as the wife/husband of a British citizen, you're entitled to free healthcare under the National Health Service from the moment of your arrival ... simply take your passport [containing your spousal visa] along to the medical practice with which your husband/wife is registered, as proof of your marriage. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

aside from that you need proof of address like bank statement or utility bill or tenancy agreement

stretch33
27th April 2010, 22:11
Here is another little question along these lines.....My kids are coming over to visit later in the summer, l know my missus cant get treatment at my gp but as my kids have brit passports can they receive gp services ?? Opinions please
Stretch

Filipino
28th April 2010, 05:23
Here is another little question along these lines.....My kids are coming over to visit later in the summer, l know my missus cant get treatment at my gp but as my kids have brit passports can they receive gp services ?? Opinions please
Stretch

Will your wife be coming ion a tourist visa?

Thank you salamat for the welcomes.

stretch33
28th April 2010, 16:59
Yes, my wife will visit on a family visit visa...
Stretch

Filipino
29th April 2010, 02:16
Yes, my wife will visit on a family visit visa...
Stretch

I think a tourist visa will only allow emergency treatment at A&E for your wife. I am not sure about children with UK passports but would have thought they are entitled to all tratment.

estherboaz
29th April 2010, 05:52
how old are your kids?your wife wont be able to recieve free health services during her visit.

stretch33
3rd May 2010, 11:31
Hi Thanks for replies, My kids are 4 and 1.5 years old, i know my missus wont be able to receive nhs care but as the kids are brit passport holders thought l would pose the question.
I'm just thinking forward incase an accident occurs and whether l need to get travel ins for them and missus.

Cheers Stretch

somebody
3rd May 2010, 21:14
Hi Thanks for replies, My kids are 4 and 1.5 years old, i know my missus wont be able to receive nhs care but as the kids are brit passport holders thought l would pose the question.
I'm just thinking forward incase an accident occurs and whether l need to get travel ins for them and missus.

Cheers Stretch

From my limited knowledge but I have asked a few questions at several hospitals on some of the suject. Your kids would hav no problems if a british pssport is shown and you can prove your their dad and a british resident or citzen then no probs

Most people needing An E as long as they give a Uk address have no problems if you need a bed in a ward or long term treatment thts when the fun can start but depends on the hospital.. I do know that several central london Hospitals have departments who deal with non resident chargable blls.

You would need to probably check the terms of travel insurance as of course most is only for british residents which you would need to check there defintion of a british resiedent I think its taken as someone here for six months but as you probably know insurance companies will pounce on any small issues with your eligbilty to claim if required.

Lets hope you dont need to use and stays theory:xxgrinning--00xx3:

English Rose
4th May 2010, 20:44
Here is the official advice:
"Who can receive all NHS treatment free of charge
Some people from abroad can receive all NHS hospital treatment free of charge. If you are entitled to free NHS hospital treatment, your spouse, civil partner and dependent child(ren) will also be able to receive free treatment, but only if they live with you permanently in the UK.

You can receive free NHS hospital treatment if you:-

have been living legally in the UK for at least 12 months when you seek treatment, and did not come to the UK for private medical treatment. Temporary absences from the UK of up to three months are ignored
have come to the UK to take up permanent residence, for example, if you are a former UK resident who has returned from abroad, or if you have been granted leave to enter or remain as a spouse
have come to the UK to work, either as an employee or self-employed person. This does not include people on short business trips
normally work in the UK, but are temporarily working abroad, have at least 10 years continuous residence in the UK, and have been abroad for less than 5. However, if you are studying abroad you are not entitled to free NHS treatment
are receiving a UK war disablement pension or war widows’ pension
are an asylum seeker or have been granted exceptional leave to remain or refugee status. Proof of your immigration status from the Home Office may be required. In England and Scotland, if you're refused asylum, you do not have the right to free treatment if you have temporary admission. However, if you're a failed asylum seeker who was receiving a course of treatment, that course of treatment should continue until it is finished without you being asked to pay for it. In Wales, there are plans to change the rules and you might get free treatment. If you’re asked to pay, get advice about how to challenge the charge
have been identified as having been trafficked from abroad or are believed to have been trafficked from abroad
are imprisoned in the UK or detained by UK immigration authorities
are a UK state pensioner who spends up to six months a year living in another European Economic Area (EEA) state, but are not a resident of that state
are working in another EEA country, or in Switzerland, but are paying compulsory UK national insurance contributions
are a student following a course of study which lasts at least six months, or is substantially funded by the UK government."
I hope this helps clarify the position.