PDA

View Full Version : vBulletin 4 - Your Thoughts Please

KeithD
27th April 2010, 09:08
As the license for this forum is up next month on version 3.8.x , I could update to the new vBulletin 4. However this is a major upgrade my end, but it would add a host of new features and add bits that make it more like a real social networking site.

Everything you know and love on here would still be the same, just laid out a little different. My end I'd have to go through all the plugins one-by-one as I will need specific 4.x ones.

Just so you know what the new forum and extra bits would look like take a look at these:
vBulletin board with Blogs: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/
Screenshots: http://www.vbulletin.com/index.php?do=screenshots
Features: http://www.vbulletin.com/index.php?do=features
This whole site is actually all vBulletin 4.x: http://www.vbseo.com/

I would wait for version 4.04 to be released though as it will have more Facebook integration, as the plugin I'm using for FB at the moment doesn't work 100%.

Let me know what you think, any upgrade wouldn't happen till June.

GaryFifer
27th April 2010, 11:32
Looks nice does it have a radio in it? What colour are you going for? It looks really media rich, so i assume that means lots of server space.

Northerner
27th April 2010, 11:56
Looks good. A little more web 2.0 and stuff. I guess with the rise of Facebook, Twitter and youtube. Vbulletin are trying now to make a seamless link between these platforms. With a nice glossy look to it too:xxgrinning--00xx3:

somebody
27th April 2010, 12:56
Im guessing those on limited broadband and slower connections will be ok? Also while more functions are good for many can people who simply want a shifty round the website opt out?
We find a lot on our company Websites n whatnot that many looking for info want it in a spartan format while I guess on this site you have regulars and people here for social and those simply here to find information..

I just imed a couple of our devlopers and they were wary of it as "issues with the Coding" and suggested to tip your toe in first as on virtual images and dummy sites we had runing it was decided to leave alone but having said that our market is only worried about uptime, low bandwith and speed fullstop While your users want a little more on top of that.

joebloggs
27th April 2010, 13:10
Im guessing those on limited broadband and slower connections will be ok? .

not a problem for us Mancs, southern Andy, I'll be on 50mb next saturday :xxgrinning--00xx3:, the bulldog will finally be put down :Jump:

KeithD
27th April 2010, 13:13
The other issue is I used to get a leased license for $44 a year, now it's a one-off $200'ish which includes vB4 want it or not. So it seems silly paying for it as you have no choice now and not upgrading. I know it has a few issues which is why I'd wait for the next version.

somebody
27th April 2010, 13:27
not a problem for us Mancs, southern Andy, I'll be on 50mb next saturday :xxgrinning--00xx3:, the bulldog will finally be put down :Jump:

Cor blimey so they finally gave you internet access:D I was thinking of others as we are lucky enough to have unlimited access here in Somebody towers:D

joebloggs
27th April 2010, 13:32
Cor blimey so they finally gave you internet access:D I was thinking of others as we are lucky enough to have unlimited access here in Somebody towers:D

i had enough of them :censored: at bulldog, there having a :laugher: not anymore, one less customer :xxgrinning--00xx3:

pennybarry
28th April 2010, 06:56
Very cute and great if license is to be shared to someone like me.:D:icon_lol::Rasp::icon_sorry:

sparky
28th April 2010, 11:12
might be time to think of switching software altogether and consider something like the invision software which gives you lots of options as standard

if its gonna cost you to upgrade you current software might be a good time to jump:xxgrinning--00xx3:

KeithD
28th April 2010, 11:35
might be time to think of switching software altogether and consider something like the invision software which gives you lots of options as standard

if its gonna cost you to upgrade you current software might be a good time to jump:xxgrinning--00xx3:
Nooooo ... that's crap .... so is phpBB, except for simpe forums. None come near the power of vB. I've been playing with vB4 and it's pretty neat, not sure about the CMS yet though, I'd have to populate it with 3rd party articles to begin with.

aposhark
28th April 2010, 15:53

Which provider did you choose Joe? Specs & cost?
Can you get the newsgroups too?
Brgds :)

KeithD
28th April 2010, 16:20
:Erm: Hmmmm... I've already done a test site and it works fine. Would only take a morning to complete it but forum would be down for 1/2 hour.

KeithD
29th April 2010, 13:40
Well as no one has complained and I've got the advanced Facebook plugin working on it, and I can't live with the damned chat crashing people's computers/browsers, I may update tomorrow.... still testing at the moment, but no major issues found.

fred
29th April 2010, 15:24
We knew you would..Boys should always get their boy toys.. Dont feel bad..JUST DO IT!!

KeithD
29th April 2010, 15:57
We knew you would..Boys should always get their boy toys.. Dont feel bad..JUST DO IT!!
It's more work actually due to the CMS/Blogs :doh ...and I'm getting :olddude:

fred
29th April 2010, 17:15
It's more work actually due to the CMS/Blogs :doh ...and I'm getting :olddude:

Yeah,yeah...Thats what I told the Mrs when I bought the new laptop...
She didnt believe me but thats what I told her!

somebody
30th April 2010, 10:13
well seems to be ok:xxgrinning--00xx3: seen a few other sites update which i use now and then some people have loved the changes and others not. Should we be reporting any issues/bugs to you sir in this thread or another/pm?

KeithD
30th April 2010, 10:43
A few minor problems with not being able to see words due to style colors... will fix that eventually... it'll take me a while setting all the background options.

joebloggs
30th April 2010, 10:54
my eyes :Cuckoo::hubbahubba::deletesmiley1::dumbputer:

its all white :yikes:

lots on the screen at once :Erm:

LEAHnew
30th April 2010, 10:54
what's happening I am lost..lol:D:Rasp:

Well done Boss looking forward for Pink colour;):Wave::icon_sorry::xxgrinning--00xx3:

joebloggs
30th April 2010, 10:56
it looks a bit better if you go in advanced, but smilies look :action-smiley-081:

raynaputi
30th April 2010, 11:09
Well done Boss looking forward for Pink colour;):Wave::icon_sorry::xxgrinning--00xx3:

me too PINK PINK PINK!!!:icon_lol::Rasp:

Sim11UK
30th April 2010, 11:36
I can smell the new paint :Cuckoo:

I seem to have lost half my green blobs? :Erm:
All our photo's seem to have disappeared too? :bigcry:

Apart from that, just need to find my way around I guess. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

KeithD
30th April 2010, 11:42
Your green blobs are there :Erm:

triple5
30th April 2010, 12:08
Looks good :xxgrinning--00xx3: Though i think I prefer how it was before without right sidebar, so the posts are wider. No biggy tho.

KeithD
30th April 2010, 12:42
Read my other thread, you can get rid of it.

sars_notd_virus
30th April 2010, 13:02
what's happening I am lost..lol:D:Rasp:

Well done Boss

yeah looks trendy to me,totally awesome!!thanks boss

South-east boy
2nd May 2010, 01:15
Sorry, not too keen on it. Doesn't seem as clear to me and don't like the big symbols on the left. Also seems to be way to much going on around each reply box-even if it's a little reply, it's in a great big box and I can only see 2 replies (if they are short) on the whole pc screen which makes the threads seem less fluid and you have to scroll more!

laurel
2nd May 2010, 08:42
Have to be honest , im struggling with it......guess i was too used to the old version.

KeithD
2nd May 2010, 09:38
Sorry, not too keen on it. Doesn't seem as clear to me and don't like the big symbols on the left. Also seems to be way to much going on around each reply box-even if it's a little reply, it's in a great big box and I can only see 2 replies (if they are short) on the whole pc screen which makes the threads seem less fluid and you have to scroll more!
The reply boxes are the same Tim :Erm:, I did update the Quick Reply a week ago on the old version to test it and no one said anything. Have you tried changing styles to one you like and fits your screen better?

Have to be honest , im struggling with it......guess i was too used to the old version.
New things can be a struggle, only takes a day or two to get used to it. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

walesrob
2nd May 2010, 10:06

Yeah me too, its like someone has redecorated the place and bought new furniture. Then they've gone and changed the cupboards as well and moved the plates somewhere else. :Rasp:

KeithD
2nd May 2010, 10:27
Yeah me too, its like someone has redecorated the place and bought new furniture. Then they've gone and changed the cupboards as well and moved the plates somewhere else. :Rasp:
A bit like what our wives have done every time we come back from work? :omg:

walesrob
2nd May 2010, 10:35

:icon_lol:

IainBusby
2nd May 2010, 11:01
I think it all looks much nicer but I'm finding it harder to find and keep up with the all latest threads, especially in the Loose Talk section where everything new seems to get pushed down the page or onto the second page too quickly by the new "Articles" feature.
Iain.

KeithD
2nd May 2010, 11:07
Do you use 'NEW POSTS"?

The articles are only appearing in a high density while I populate the pages with content so they are not blank. This will slow to a trickle in a few days.

somebody
2nd May 2010, 17:30
Regardin the rep i can only see the rep blog this post and multi quote on the last post of a thread the others im guessing are hidden seems to be ie 7 chrome so far..

KeithD
2nd May 2010, 18:13
Change STLYE!!

somebody
2nd May 2010, 19:30
Change STLYE!!

U saying i is not trendy:rolleyes:

Will try out a little later

nigel
2nd May 2010, 20:22
Out with the old...and in with the new!!! I LOVE itttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt!!!!:Jump::):Jump:

Sim11UK
2nd May 2010, 21:01
Out with the old...and in with the new!!! I LOVE itttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt!!!!:Jump::):Jump:

Well you wouldn't say anything negative, would you Nigel. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

I'm starting to get used to it, though I don't think it's as easy to read as the old one? The lettering was bolder.
The list of threads, aren't too clear to read either...Have tried changing the colour to green, but found it a bit sickly.

It's not as obvious, which posts, you have already read in the threads, as you used to have a little orange marker for unread posts...I'm not refferring to clicking on the new posts tab, I mean when you scroll down to read them? :cwm24:

joebloggs
2nd May 2010, 22:16

you work from home :doh
I pitty your misses, she has to put up with you 24/7 :cwm24:

:xxparty-smiley-004:

:D

aposhark
3rd May 2010, 09:17
How do I change the page from white to a calmer colour?
I use breeze fluid....

KeithD
3rd May 2010, 09:19
Bottom right drop-down menu.