PDA

View Full Version : ESOL Course

Ella
5th May 2010, 23:52
Does anybody here know if the ESOL Course (English for Speakers of Other Languages ) can be a substitute for taking the ILR (Indifinite Leave to Remain) test?

I'm confused whether I gonna take the course as what my guy suggested just for me to integrate or have a self review to take the test someday for my ILR visa.

I appreciate any reply

pennybarry
6th May 2010, 06:44
Visit your local college and local community centre. Usually they have ESOL course. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

estherboaz
6th May 2010, 07:29
If your English is below the standard, you can take ESOL instead of LIfe in the UK Test.There is a news now, that if you take ESOl make it sure that your college is accredited. (I read it in UKBA). In my case, I chose to take the Life in the UK test.i just review on my own.I bought the book from TSO.The test is easy.

mark99
6th May 2010, 09:27
Curious, if you can take ESOL instead of a 'Life in the UK Test' then I wonder why the DirectGov website says ESOL "..will make it easier to: pass the Life in the UK test and become a British citizen"

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/educationandlearning/adultlearning/improvingyourskills/dg_10037499

This bit seems to clarify:

'Life in the UK' test

You take the 'Life in the UK' test if you're applying to be a British citizen and your level of English is ESOL Entry 3 or above.

If your level of English is lower than ESOL Entry 3 and you wish to apply for naturalisation, you will need to attend combined English language (ESOL) and citizenship classes instead.

joebloggs
6th May 2010, 11:02
the esol course has to be based on the material thats in the 'life uk book'

keithAngel
6th May 2010, 11:36
the esol course has to be based on the material thats in the 'life uk book'

Wow thats a particularly usefull tool to aquire:NoNo:

joebloggs
6th May 2010, 13:29
well what would you suggest they learn about,
corrie and sad enders :NoNo:

Ella
8th May 2010, 00:54
Thanks for all the reply guys....the more m confused now lol

pennybarry
8th May 2010, 07:39
Just read your book a week before your exam and you'll be alright. No need to memorize it just need understanding the life here. Read newspapers and watch t.v. so you'll be familiar with names of politicians etc.

I remember some questions about parliament, population, and laws.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

islander
12th May 2010, 16:52
Just read your book a week before your exam and you'll be alright. No need to memorize it just need understanding the life here. Read newspapers and watch t.v. so you'll be familiar with names of politicians etc.

I remember some questions about parliament, population, and laws.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

I DO AGREE TO THAT....

another helpful thing is, try doing online practice test so you would be familiar with how the test would go.

Good Luck!

justchecking
13th May 2010, 09:35
I had suggested to my husband that he might want to do the ESOL as a constructive thing to do on arrival, to get out of the house and mix with others also adjusting to a new country and maybe get some support - it may help you later with the life in the UK test, but I don't think it replaces it - ESOL is a language course not a politics/banking etc. course - you have to have been married for a year before you can take it though - government rules!

5olidsnake
23rd May 2010, 15:56
hi ella

if your english is good (level 3 or above)
do the life in uk test

if your english is not good (under level 3)
you will have to do a ESOL course in speaking and listen (there is also reading and writing course, which is not needed for both the ILR and citizenship applications)

you will have to also get a letter from the college stating that course included the citizenship materials

and the college must be approved (list of governing bodies on application/guide forms)

the esol course my wife took was one school year and cost about £40 a term

also when we applied for ILR in person in the PEO (public enquiry office) birmingham, the application was successful but they wanted to keep the letter from the college, but after a few conversations, i told them we needed it for the next application of citizenship. and as they dont accept photocopies only originals, citizenship department of the home office also dont accept photocopies, so they gave me the letter back, crazy they dont know the requirements

regards martin

Ella
29th May 2010, 23:58

Thanks for the advice Pennybarry :)

I bit you passed the test already :)

Ella
30th May 2010, 00:12
Thanks to all of you guys...
I guess I will just have take the test :)

I have another question....
What if I fail the test for the 1st attempt what would be the next step?:Erm:
Am I being deported? :Erm:

Just wanna know ahead of time :)

darren-b
30th May 2010, 07:19
Thanks to all of you guys...
I guess I will just have take the test :)

I have another question....
What if I fail the test for the 1st attempt what would be the next step?:Erm:
Am I being deported? :Erm:

Just wanna know ahead of time :)

You can keep taking the test until you pass obviously paying each time.

If you are unable to pass it before your spouse visa/FLR is due to run out then you cannot apply for ILR, but should be able to apply for FLR instead. Though of course this will expire so you need to keep trying to pass the test as I don't think they will let you just keep re-applying for FLR for ever (and you wouldn't want to either as it costs money..)

Ella
30th May 2010, 22:41
You can keep taking the test until you pass obviously paying each time.

If you are unable to pass it before your spouse visa/FLR is due to run out then you cannot apply for ILR, but should be able to apply for FLR instead. Though of course this will expire so you need to keep trying to pass the test as I don't think they will let you just keep re-applying for FLR for ever (and you wouldn't want to either as it costs money..)

Ahhh ok thanks for the info darren-b :)