PDA

View Full Version : Who is the "tax man" and how do I pay Tax?

Eleathegreat
13th May 2010, 12:56
I've been told by my British colleagues that I should go to the tax man. i think that's what the British call the National Insurance?

I've been paying taxes automatically from my salary but someone told me, I should go to the "tax man" at the end of the tax year. They also advised me to get a tax accountant to sort things out. I'm driving a car and the petrol is paid for the company (private or business) and I was told that I am paying tax for the petrol but I should get refunded for the tax I paid for business... how do I do that? :Erm: Im doing around 12000 miles a year so that should be quite a lot. (??)

So, I was also told that if I dont do nothing I dont get the money back.

furthermore, if I get a tax advisor, I will pay him around more or less £200 and he takes care of everything. is that rate reasonable? If i get £1000 refund, i think it's worth the hassle.

opinions anyone?

Thanks...

maria_and_matt
13th May 2010, 13:17
my husband just fill out a tax return form online i think.....

rusty
13th May 2010, 13:31
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/sa/introduction.htm

see the above link about self assessment.

If they require you to fill in a self assessment then they normally send you a letter saying they want you to do a tax return.

I would say call your local tax office and see what they say.

Most of the information needed to complete a self assessment should be available from your employer, therefore you should not need to use a tax advisor.

bornatbirth
13th May 2010, 14:38
first of all are you empolyed or self empolyed?

what job are you doing?

does your empolyer pay tax and NI for you?

if your using your car to drive to work does the company pay you anything for mileage?, because if you goto your local tax office you can claim mileage from them(the tax office)?

rusty
13th May 2010, 16:29
I'm driving a car and the petrol is paid for the company (private or business) and I was told that I am paying tax for the petrol but I should get refunded for the tax I paid for business... how do I do that? :Erm: Im doing around 12000 miles a year so that should be quite a lot. (??)

BUT on another thread you say that you have just passed your test :Erm:

Eleathegreat
13th May 2010, 16:37
BUT on another thread you say that you have just passed your test :Erm:

Hello rusty,
Yes, I just passed the test but I was driving in the UK already a year now with the international driver's license. :)

elea

Eleathegreat
13th May 2010, 16:49
first of all are you empolyed or self empolyed?

what job are you doing?

does your empolyer pay tax and NI for you?

if your using your car to drive to work does the company pay you anything for mileage?, because if you goto your local tax office you can claim mileage from them(the tax office)?

-employed.
-Im in the telecom sector.
-my employer pays the tax/NI automatically every month (from my salary of course)
-the company doesnt pay me anything for mileage.

I think the best way for me then is to go to the local tax office :Erm: ... is there a deadline for that (tax year 2009-2010)? I just dont have the time to do all these... that's why im thinking if it's worth having a tax advisor who can do all this bits and pieces. :Erm:

I also tried to go to our HR and she said "you have to do that yourself dear." :Erm:

RickyR
13th May 2010, 16:56
I think the self assessment is normally in by November. I'd recommend you see an accountant, 100-200 pounds is a normal fee for something like this, but they will normally advise you whether its likely you can reclaim some tax before taking on your accounts. If your really confident you can do the 'self assessment' online and avoiding paying the accountant fee.

As for the tax man, this is the Inland Revenue. You are charged both Income Tax (variable based upon your salary) and National Insurance. If you do a little googling you'll learn a lot about what these go towards and why you have to pay 30 years of National Insurance contributions.

bornatbirth
13th May 2010, 17:21
im confused, what tax are you trying claim?

if your employer is paying your tax and ni, apart from claiming mileage for your car, thats if your using it to do your job, what else are you wanting to claim?

its best you visit your local tax office :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Eleathegreat
13th May 2010, 17:22
I think the self assessment is normally in by November. I'd recommend you see an accountant, 100-200 pounds is a normal fee for something like this, but they will normally advise you whether its likely you can reclaim some tax before taking on your accounts. If your really confident you can do the 'self assessment' online and avoiding paying the accountant fee.

As for the tax man, this is the Inland Revenue. You are charged both Income Tax (variable based upon your salary) and National Insurance. If you do a little googling you'll learn a lot about what these go towards and why you have to pay 30 years of National Insurance contributions.

:Erm: if that's the case, i still have until November to be a self thought Tax Expert :) so no rush then... I'll give it a go doing it myself. my colleagues get refund for these mileage so that's why they told me to go and get myself refunded as well :) ... but good to know that 100-200 is a the normal rate. I will have time if I will make time for it, I guess. I'm just making excuses not to do it because doing taxes doesnt interest me at all. I paid for it already... i shouldnt be bothered anymore :icon_lol:

Thanks for all your inputs.

bornatbirth
13th May 2010, 17:28
try reading this.:)

http://www.thetaxguide.co.uk/claiming-tax-relief-on-mileage.html

Eleathegreat
13th May 2010, 18:01
try reading this.:)

http://www.thetaxguide.co.uk/claiming-tax-relief-on-mileage.html

Hello bornatbirth,
This is a cool website... really explained it well in one page. P87 form is my best friend then before doing the annual tax return... :)

thanks.

Thanks.

rusty
13th May 2010, 19:17
I think the self assessment is normally in by November.

or by January 31st if you file the return online.