PDA

View Full Version : Barrio Folks....

pacificelectric
28th May 2010, 15:15
Hi, i was wondering if the expression "barrio folks" is usual and acceptable in the Filipino culture or is it seen as disparaging or insulting? My ex-gf from Davao often used that expression to talk about the populations living in the mountains or small remote villages and she said she used it as she was doing social research and these populations are commonly defined as "barrio folks" in official memos or reports, but I wonder if there was some kind of prejudice attached to that expression, and I would appreciate neutral comments on that. Thanks in advance!

triple5
28th May 2010, 16:35
No, I don't think there's anything insulting about the term. Westerners and Asians have very different views when it comes to these kinds of things. We've basically become scared to label people with words because of political correctness. I've head the "N" word used here quite often to describe somebody whose been out in the sun too long. Try and tell them its racist to say that and you just get a blank look. "But N****** are black", they say :Erm:

fred
29th May 2010, 03:59
Barrio folk or folk from the barangay..What on earth could be offensive about that?? Tell you what..I`ll try it out on a few of the locals. If I do not post again you will know something is wrong!

Pacita
29th May 2010, 21:30
Barrio, Purok or Barangay means Village. When we refer to the minorities we used cultural minorities if we try to be politically correct but usually we refer to them depending where they come from. Usually we say Igorots for people from the Mt Province but politely we say from the Highlands. But words like that, Mangyans and other minority tribes does not offend as they are Tribal names. Others are now offended and ashamed to be called as such, but like you say coloured people to dark ones afraid to offend or be branded racist.

pennybarry
30th May 2010, 08:47
Barrio and Barangay are both the same. Almost all people in our country lives in Barrio or Barangay.

If they moved to subdivisions first class nor any class, you still live in a Barangay or Barrio because all subdivisions and first class village location is in the Barangay or Barrio.

Even people from highlands lives in Barangay.
All our regions are composed of towns/city and they our composed of Barangays.

I usually call them indigenous peoples and I love to speak with them about their culture.:xxgrinning--00xx3::)

This link may enlighten you more about Barangays.:Rasp::Rasp:

http://www.cityofsantarosainformation.com/subdivisions_villages.html

triple5
30th May 2010, 10:45
Barrio and Barangay are both the same. Almost all people in our country lives in Barrio or Barangay.

If they moved to subdivisions first class nor any class, you still live in a Barangay or Barrio because all subdivisions and first class village location is in the Barangay or Barrio.

Even people from highlands lives in Barangay.
All our regions are composed of towns/city and they our composed of Barangays.

So that makes everybody a Barrio folk? :xxgrinning--00xx3:

fred
7th June 2010, 02:02
Our Barangay folk officials have stolen over 2 million from our barangay bank funds..
Now thats offensive!