PDA

View Full Version : Getting a British passport for our baby !!

lenboy
31st May 2010, 21:17
Hi again to all members !!

Well ive booked my flights to Cebu on the 11th August and fly back on the 27th ! that's when i hope our baby Daughter will be born !!
I would like to know this , is it hard to get my daughter a British passport ! i know i can apply for birth certificate in Cebu ! but have now found out that a Mrs Moya Jacksons is away from the consul in Cebu from 1st August until the 20th October !
Just hope i don't have to go to Manila !
sorry im a British citizen , and also i will be applying for a fiancée visa in due course as soon as my divorce is final , which i hope is in about 6 weeks to 8 weeks time !
so if anyone as had a similar experience or has any knowledge of this i would be ever so grateful to hear from you !
many thanks for your time Len

lenboy
31st May 2010, 21:22
Sorry i forgot also to ask about forms !! does any one know what are the right forms to print of for applying for a British birth certificate and a British passport in the Philippines !
thanks once again Len

English Rose
31st May 2010, 21:36
If your daughter is born in the Philippines, I don't think you can apply for a British passport or British birth certificate. You can get all the information here, though: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/britishcitizenship/eligibility/children/britishcitizen/

johncar54
1st June 2010, 07:40
This is an extract from the web page quoted above. It would seen clear that a child of a British National born anywhere is British:-

A child will have an entitlement to be registered under section 3(2) of the British Nationality Act 1981 if:

* they were born outside the United Kingdom; or
* they were born after 21 May 2002 outside any of the British overseas territories; and
* they were born to parents, one or both of whom are British citizens by descent; and
* the parent who is British by descent was born to a parent (the child's grandparent) who was a British citizen otherwise than by descent (or would have been but for their death); and
* the parent who is British by descent lived in the United Kingdom at any time before the child's birth for a continuous period of three years*; and
* during the period they were living in the United Kingdom the parent was not absent for more than 270 days; and
* the application is made before the child's 18th birthday.

* The requirement for the parent to have lived in the United Kingdom for a three year period does not apply if the child was born stateless.

A child registered as a British citizen under this section will become a British citizen by descent. They will be unable to pass British citizenship on automatically to any of their children born outside the United Kingdom

sars_notd_virus
1st June 2010, 08:23
Sorry i forgot also to ask about forms !! does any one know what are the right forms to print of for applying for a British birth certificate and a British passport in the Philippines!
thanks once again Len

hope the this helps:

http://ukinthephilippines.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/living-in-the-philippines/how-register-birth-and-death/how-register-birth

joebloggs
1st June 2010, 10:57
This is an extract from the web page quoted above. It would seen clear that a child of a British National born anywhere is British:-

A child will have an entitlement to be registered under section 3(2) of the British Nationality Act 1981 if:

* they were born outside the United Kingdom; or
* they were born after 21 May 2002 outside any of the British overseas territories; and
* they were born to parents, one or both of whom are British citizens by descent; and
* the parent who is British by descent was born to a parent (the child's grandparent) who was a British citizen otherwise than by descent (or would have been but for their death); and
* the parent who is British by descent lived in the United Kingdom at any time before the child's birth for a continuous period of three years*; and
* during the period they were living in the United Kingdom the parent was not absent for more than 270 days; and
* the application is made before the child's 18th birthday.

* The requirement for the parent to have lived in the United Kingdom for a three year period does not apply if the child was born stateless.

A child registered as a British citizen under this section will become a British citizen by descent. They will be unable to pass British citizenship on automatically to any of their children born outside the United Kingdom

:xxgrinning--00xx3: child should be british by descent, thats if Len was born in the UK?

seeing your not married the embassy might want a DNA test done...

johncar54
1st June 2010, 13:27
Further extract, sorry I had not read fully the original post.

In view of the fact the baby is not yet born I would suggest that the father's name be shown on the birth certificate. That may `reduce problems of proving paternity later.

QUOTE Since 1 July 2006 both parents are able to pass on their British citizenship to their children even if they are not married providing there is satisfactory evidence of paternity .............................

To be satisfied of the child's paternity we would usually expect you to provide:

* a birth certificate issued within one year of the child's birth naming the child's father; or
* any other evidence such as DNA test reports or court orders relevant to paternity.

If you are unable to provide the above evidence, we will normally accept that a man is the father of a child if:

* paternity has been acknowledged in some other official context, for example if the child was born abroad and the relationship has been accepted for United Kingdom immigration purposes; or
* he has stated that he is the father and we have confirmation of that from the mother, providing there is no evidence to suggest that their evidence is false.

hannah sheila
1st June 2010, 13:50
:doh...