PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one who doesn't care about the world cup?

Englishman2010
31st May 2010, 21:22
As England prepares for the world cup and the nation expects Capello's boys to deliver, I seem to have lost all interest in it and find the hysteria and merchandising to be way over the top this time.
Don't get me wrong, I'm English through and through, the family can be traced back over 500 years, I'm a very proud Englishman and would love to see the England team win the World Cup, but I'm getting the feeling that I really can't be bothered with it this time. It interferes with my business, staff take sickies or skive, customers don't want appointments, the shops are full of tatty crap with England flags all over them, every manufacturer and retailer's packaging looks terrible............blah, blah
Is there something wrong with me? :Cuckoo::crazy:

belfast_dude
31st May 2010, 21:24
wat!!!!...football rocks..i am really looking forward to this word cup,,,it will be great...messi..top scorer .........
france to win it

maria_and_matt
31st May 2010, 21:29
i love the days leading up to the world cup :laugher: all the flags flying, we even bought our little westie an official england football shirt:laugher:
i am so excited!!!!:laugher:

les_taxi
31st May 2010, 21:29
OMG whats wrong with you:Erm:
I cant bloody wait,I've booked the first 3 england games off work,hopefully more to follow:xxgrinning--00xx3:
France to win it :NoNo: very average french team only got there by cheating.

belfast_dude
31st May 2010, 21:31
i know they cheated...but they have great strikers...experience....and they must have some luck...getting there...

nigel
31st May 2010, 21:34
I'm annoyed by the huge popularity of soccer...it's a great thing that I'm glad many people enjoy...can't be bothered with it myself though...I agree that it takes too much precedence..!:icon_lol:
People sneak home early to watch football at my work place..leaving muggins here to to tidy up their unfinished work sometimes!:icon_lol: Imagine if England do win though eh? The atmosphere's going to electric!!!!:)

les_taxi
31st May 2010, 21:34
Lucky henry got away with it,but can't see them doing well. Zidane carried them in the past and their strikers were in their prime.

les_taxi
31st May 2010, 21:37
Well surely we could do with some good news,bloody volcano's,recessions,elections etc etc.

Just for once how about some great news England beating germany on penalties in the world cup final:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Englishman2010
31st May 2010, 21:47
I used to be mad on football, as a boy growing up it's all I ever played, and the highlight of my week was my dad letting me stay up late on a Saturday so I could watch MOTD (when Jimmy Hill presented it).
I was a mad Man Utd fan until a couple of years ago, and used to go to Old Trafford a couple of times a season. Seen some great games, including the 5-1 thrashing of Arsenal in 2001, and some great Champions League ties.
Over the last few years I have gradually lost interest and haven't watched MOTD or the Champions League for a couple of years.
I feel that Sky TV and pay to view has ruined football, along with the overly inflated salaries paid to average players with very large ego's. The influx of foreign billionairres buying clubs and foreign mercenaries playing here without a care for the clubs they serve has been the final nail in the coffin for me.

les_taxi
31st May 2010, 21:55
I used to be mad on football, as a boy growing up it's all I ever played, and the highlight of my week was my dad letting me stay up late on a Saturday so I could watch MOTD (when Jimmy Hill presented it).
I was a mad Man Utd fan until a couple of years ago, and used to go to Old Trafford a couple of times a season. Seen some great games, including the 5-1 thrashing of Arsenal in 2001, and some great Champions League ties.
Over the last few years I have gradually lost interest and haven't watched MOTD or the Champions League for a couple of years.
I feel that Sky TV and pay to view has ruined football, along with the overly inflated salaries paid to average players with very large ego's. The influx of foreign billionairres buying clubs and foreign mercenaries playing here without a care for the clubs they serve has been the final nail in the coffin for me.

I understand where you are coming from,most of what you say is totally true.
For me no matter what football is in my blood having played it and watched it all my life.

Even with all what you have said i still get excited especially over a World cup,watching the 3 lions video just maked the hairs on my neck stand up.

I will be in the busiest pub in town for the games,singing the football songs an hour before the game with all the young kids but to be honest bring it on,lots of beer too:xxgrinning--00xx3:

I like my club football and a world cup is only every 4 years so BRING IT ON:)

triple5
1st June 2010, 06:14
Like most I'm looking frward to it, of course, but there is things I find tacky about it. Flags, for a start, the only time you get people waving the St George flag is when there's a World Cup on. Is that patriotism :Erm: Go to the US and you'll see homes with the flag up all year round. The boozing, ok it can be a good atmosphere in a packed pub, but I'd rather be in a living room, comfy armchair, widescreen TV and tinnies in the fridge :xxgrinning--00xx3: And guaranteed when England get knocked out it will kick off all across the country :NoNo: Then the media, over hyping the team every time :doh

Apart from that should be a good tournament :xxgrinning--00xx3:

stevewool
1st June 2010, 06:51
football has never intrested me yes i want england to win but hay ho more to life

KeithD
1st June 2010, 09:46
USA v England will be crap...... first of all the stadium only holds 44,000, is in the middle of nowhere, is built wide open, has a running track, so no atmosphere.... then England will be playing in safety mode :doh

LEAHnew
1st June 2010, 11:52
USA v England will be crap...... first of all the stadium only holds 44,000, is in the middle of nowhere, is built wide open, has a running track, so no atmosphere.... then England will be playing in safety mode :doh

I hope they will be TURN OFF soon:rolleyes::omg:

so Hubby more time to chat me now:Brick::Rasp::Cuckoo::ARsurrender:

les_taxi
1st June 2010, 12:13
I would happily display the cross of saint george 365 days a year,but some left wing **** will object I may offend someone in my own country:cwm23:

Also I got the big tv etc but being in a pub with hundreds of others is amazing,even tho i'm an old git the atmosphere is fantastic,can't be replicated at home.

JohnNewman
1st June 2010, 13:43
No your not the only one who can't be bothered with the world cup and I can't wait until its over

mickcant
1st June 2010, 18:27
Hi all,:Wave:
I am one of the few men that are not intrested in any sport.
Both my sons are football mad.

Mick.:olddude::olddude:

bornatbirth
1st June 2010, 20:09
c'mon it will be great :)

get behind the team even thou they wont win :Cuckoo:

kahna7
8th June 2010, 14:26
Yes Englishman 2010 I totally agree with you!! People make too much fuss over it and the amount of football they show withing one month is just unbelievable... I have nothing against football, I like playing it myself but I am not an enthusiast for World Cups that's all...:Brick:

Arthur Little
8th June 2010, 14:49
Is there something wrong with me? :Cuckoo::crazy:

Not at all, my friend ... join the "club"! I prefer to involve myself with what's happening here on the forum. Much more MY scene! :D

Arthur Little
8th June 2010, 14:58
Not at all, my friend ... join the "club"! I prefer to involve myself with what's happening here on the forum. Much more MY scene! :D

But ... lest the Nation's "die-hards" descend on me like a ton of :Bricks:, I wish THEIR team :engflag: every success in the fierce competition ahead. :icon_win:

Arthur Little
8th June 2010, 15:55
Yes Englishman ...the amount of football they show withing one month is just unbelievable...

... :iagree:! I "canna" [Scots for can't or cannot] be bothered with it either. Regular programmes are being either cancelled or postponed because of it. :doh Wish the television moguls would restrict it all to one channel. :welcomex:

les_taxi
8th June 2010, 16:56
... :iagree:! I "canna" [Scots for can't or cannot] be bothered with it either. Regular programmes are being either cancelled or postponed because of it. :doh Wish the television moguls would restrict it all to one channel. :welcomex:

Well once every 4 years as opposed to regular daily or weekly shows you can't really complain.

I'm sure it would be more appealing to those north of the border if only they could qualify:icon_lol:

Sorry,sorry that just slipped out:D