PDA

View Full Version : "Wifey" ...

Arthur Little
22nd June 2010, 10:46
... is an expression I heard for the very first time when - as an 8-year-old - my younger brother and I moved with our parents from our birthplace in Glasgow to the Perthshire village of Glenfarg in January 1953. To a child's :innocent1: ears it seemed to be a description befitting every woman between the ages of 18 and ... well ... whatever - whether married or not. A rural definition, in other words.

It's only since joining this forum, that I discovered the term being widely used - in its PROPER context - mainly by our ladies from the Phils, although I've noticed Boss Keith's frequent reference to it in relation to HIS wife, Ping. Just goes to show I'm always learning! :rolleyes:

KeithD
22nd June 2010, 11:08
... I've noticed Boss Keith's frequent reference to it in relation to HIS wife, Ping. ....

Who said I was referring to my wife? :D She's eading this isn't she? :action-smiley-081::xxaction-smiley-047 :omg:

mikey73
22nd June 2010, 11:49
hi arthur
its a 'doric' word if i am not mistaken

Arthur Little
22nd June 2010, 13:04
hi arthur
its a 'doric' word if i am not mistaken

IS it, by God? ... well, now, Mikey ... that PROVES it! I AM always learning ... :68711_thanx:

Arthur Little
22nd June 2010, 13:09
Who said I was referring to my wife? :D She's eading this isn't she? :action-smiley-081::xxaction-smiley-047 :omg:

:cwm24: ... the mind boggles! :D

mikey73
22nd June 2010, 13:32
might be best to mention 'doric' is the dialect that is spoken in the north east of scotland.

Ross
22nd June 2010, 14:38
asawa, for wifey :D:D:xxgrinning--00xx3::yikes::icon_lol::icon_lol: bana, for husband thats for my local own dialect:D:D

Sim11UK
22nd June 2010, 19:42
I like the term within our context, as we call each other "Wifey & Hubby" as terms of endearment. :love2:

However, if you called a British woman "Wifey", in this day & age, I think you'd be liable for a slap around the face :cwm3:...I think she'd find it belittling?

Just different cultures?

gWaPito
22nd June 2010, 20:04
'Woman' is surfice in my house:xxgrinning--00xx3:

gWaPito
22nd June 2010, 20:13
I like the term within our context, as we call each other "Wifey & Hubby" as terms of endearment. :love2:

However, if you called a British woman "Wifey", in this day & age, I think you'd be liable for a slap around the face :cwm3:...I think she'd find it belittling?

Just different cultures?

I think the western variety may give the 'slap'
As for Jane, she loves it:D

PS Sorry, Sim. I didn't reading your post fully until after posting my reply...stupid me!

stevewool
22nd June 2010, 20:16
well it will be duckie or ducks for my em :)

Sim11UK
22nd June 2010, 20:22
'Woman' is surfice in my house:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Is that in caveman style? :icon_lol:

gWaPito
22nd June 2010, 20:36
Is that in caveman style? :icon_lol:

My Dad called my Mother, that (woman). In a endearing manner.
I wouldn't dare call Jane That:NoNo: It's 'not me' anyway.