PDA

View Full Version : Xoom!!

Fitzy
7th July 2010, 21:03
Has anybody that used Xoom to send money in the past noticed that they have stopped using Paypal, and all non US Debit/Credit cards now??
Is a bit of a pain for me, as I like to send money from time to time:NoNo:

Was thinking of moneygram, but am looking for comments please?

Many thanks...

James Hubbard
7th July 2010, 21:04
I have only used western union. It can be pricey, but at least you know that it's safe and trustworthy.

Fitzy
7th July 2010, 21:08
I agree.

Thanks 4 the reply mate:)

James Hubbard
7th July 2010, 21:17
I agree.

Thanks 4 the reply mate:)

No probs :)

and actually, when i think about it ... it isn't too costly if you send it for the "next day" option rather than the "immediate" option! lol

JimOttley
7th July 2010, 21:18
Yep they're off their heads.

A reasonable alternative is to get your recipient to open a Unionbank EON account costs them 350 peso a year.

Then open a Paypal account for them and register the Unionbank account with Paypal as a bank account (you need to have a balance of around 200 peso in the Unionbank account to complete the registration, it gets refunded.

You can then send from your Paypal to theirs and withdraw from their Paypal account to their Unionbank account, instructions are all on the Unionbank site.

Make sure you keep a GBP (Pounds) balance in the Philippine Paypal account and keep all transfers and balances in pounds.

It's probably a bit cheaper than Xoom ever was, let's face it Xoom was never cheap but it's not as quick, takes about 3 days to extract the cash from Paypal and there are small fee's for withdrawal's of less than 7000 peso.

Other alternatives are to open a PNB remittance account here in the UK, that is way cheaper but it's a bit of a job opening it.

Peronally I wouldn't use Moneygram or Western Union or any of the other thieving robbing :censored:

Has anybody that used Xoom to send money in the past noticed that they have stopped using Paypal, and all non US Debit/Credit cards now??
Is a bit of a pain for me, as I like to send money from time to time:NoNo:

Was thinking of moneygram, but am looking for comments please?

Many thanks...

Fitzy
7th July 2010, 21:19
Thanks James.
Am looking to deposit straight into Emma's account.

Will look at that, and Moneygram tomorrow.
Really ****** me of with this Xoom thing.

Cheers....

Sim11UK
7th July 2010, 21:25
Hey Fitzy where've you been?...it's funny, coz I said to the wife earlier today, you hadn't been on here for ages. :Hellooo:

Moneygram is just as expensive as Western Union, alright for emergencies, but I wouldn't recommend it as a regular way to send.

When xoom went phutt!! & I was trying to set up a PNB account, I had to send 2 lots of £500 for our wedding, by Moneygram...£35 commission twice. :NoNo:

Fitzy
7th July 2010, 21:25
Thank you Jim.
Very helpful indeed.
Yes they are thieving *******s. lol

Will go to the unionbank site tomorrow.
Am so tired after working on the new conservatory now:)

Cheers again.

Philip...

Fitzy
7th July 2010, 21:31
Hi Sim.

Just been so so very busy, what with the Conservatory, and bringing the financial settlement after the divorce to a head, and doing the Sky TV stuff:D
Emma, and I are doing just fine.

Thanks for your concern mate. So nice of you.
Sill alive, and kicking.
At least I have time now to chat on the forums.

How are you there mate?
I hope everything is going well.
I must remember to give Toks a call.
Remember him??
Such a nice guy.
Thanks for your advice mate.

All the best.

Phil....

Sim11UK
7th July 2010, 21:41
Hi Sim.

Just been so so very busy, what with the Conservatory, and bringing the financial settlement after the divorce to a head, and doing the Sky TV stuff:D
Emma, and I are doing just fine.

Thanks for your concern mate. So nice of you.
Sill alive, and kicking.
At least I have time now to chat on the forums.

How are you there mate?
I hope everything is going well.
I must remember to give Toks a call.
Remember him??
Such a nice guy.
Thanks for your advice mate.

All the best.

Phil....

Glad things are good for you & Emma, I did wonder, with your famous public bust ups. :D
Yeah, I'm doing ok here thanks.
Welcome back. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Fitzy
7th July 2010, 21:46
Hahahahah.
You're not wrong there mate, Lol:D:D:D
Thanks Si.
Glad to be back:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Fitzy
9th July 2010, 07:27
I was looking at another option that seemes quite reasonable.

Moneybookers.

Comments would be welcome please.

Less than £3 to send £100

Will of course also look into Unionbank, as Payal's fees are also reasonable.

I hate Xoom:Brick::Brick:

They have pi**ed me off no end:furious3:

stevewool
9th July 2010, 07:31
i use kanoo £5 any amount it suits me fine thats for a bank draft, western union for small amounts below £50:)

Fitzy
9th July 2010, 16:46
Thanks Steve,

Will look at it now:)

mechanic5_1
9th July 2010, 16:58
Iv'e used Xoom, western union, but found money gram the best, here in the UK you can do it at lots of places, I choose the local post office, you have to pay cash not credit card , but its stress free, good value for money and so very simple

JimOttley
9th July 2010, 21:14
Sorry but nearly 13 quid in fees and currency conversion for a 100 pound transfer?

I don't consider that good value.

My last transfer of 100 quid cost me about £4.50 and I still consider that too expensive!

I really need to get a PNB account :(

Iv'e used Xoom, western union, but found money gram the best, here in the UK you can do it at lots of places, I choose the local post office, you have to pay cash not credit card , but its stress free, good value for money and so very simple

JimOttley
9th July 2010, 21:36
Hmmmm........

That's a not a bad find Fitzy I looked at them before but I don't remember them being as cheap as that, I must say at first glance it looks like a good deal, all depends on the exchange rate applied at the time of withdrawal.

Also the fee is 2.32 but you have to add withdrawal fee for your recipient 1.50 at the other end and then there is the exchange rate fee as well which is usually a couple of %, plus depending on the bank it is withdrawn too, there can be quite large inward transfer fee, Metrobank have a minimum of around 70 peso, so that's another quid.

I was looking at another option that seemes quite reasonable.

Moneybookers.

Comments would be welcome please.

Less than £3 to send £100

Will of course also look into Unionbank, as Payal's fees are also reasonable.

I hate Xoom:Brick::Brick:

They have pi**ed me off no end:furious3:

Fitzy
10th July 2010, 07:02
Yes Jim, you're right there.
Will probably be 4 or 5 quid, but is ok if I can transfer it directly to her bank account.
At least I still have all her details stored in Xoom:)
Will make a hard copy, and delete the Xoom account.

Thanks for yoyr comments mate.

Cheers.......

Fitzy
10th July 2010, 07:07
Do you think it's better to send USD or GBP lads?????

Steve.r
10th July 2010, 09:47
Hi Fitzy, again, nice to see you back.

I use PNB, easy to open a remitter account (in my experience) £6 fee and it goes instantly to her PNB account in Phils.

Fitzy
10th July 2010, 11:47
Hi Steve.

Glad to be, thank you:)
Nice to see you here also.
I'll ask her to set one up, but maybe one of her family members already has one??
What do I do from here please mate??
I guess that i'll need to set up an account from here also??

Many thanks.

Phil...

JimOttley
10th July 2010, 14:10
http://www.pnbeurope.com/

https://clarahost.clara.net/www.pnbeurope.com/ssl/onlinereg/onlineregistration.htm

PNB are best for larger amounts because of the large remittance limits for a fixed fee for example up to 1000 pounds for 5 pound fee.

You can remit to PNB account in the Phils or to any other Philippine Bank but other banks take a few days PNB is same day.

Hi Steve.

I'll ask her to set one up, but maybe one of her family members already has one??

Many thanks.

Phil...

Steve.r
10th July 2010, 14:47
Hi Steve.

Many thanks.

Phil...
Hello Mate, just call the PNB in London, they send you a form, you will need a copy of your passport and a letter from your solicitor/doctor/accountant or any respected commuity member to verify identity, also a copy of utility bill for address verification. Took under a week for mine to be done. Now, I can just call them up, use my bank card and hey-presto!! done.

hth buddy
Steve

Fitzy
10th July 2010, 21:15
Wow!!

Will get on it on Monday.
Thanks Steve:xxgrinning--00xx3:
Great stuff.......
Will let you know!:D