PDA

View Full Version : The 1970's: Memories

KeithD
16th July 2010, 17:32
1970!!!! That'll rule out most Filipina's on here then :laugher:

What are your memories of the 70's?

I remember being in primary school and crisps cost 4p. I wonder what weight :Erm: .... sure they weighed half a ton back then.

Father Christmas and the tooth fairy existed back then :cwm3: ..... now I know they were lies by my parents :omg: .... and they used to tell me never to lie :doh

bornatbirth
16th July 2010, 17:53
i was the youngest of 3 older brothers and remember getting beat up by them, the queen drove past our house..well somebody drove her of course :icon_lol:

yep, sweets and crisps cost next to nothing, i had all the hand me downs from the older brothers and toys, :censored: well we i get some new stuff.

i also remember the song "tie a yellow ribbon round the oak tree" when the neighbor was looking after me, not forgeting the music, booze and drugs :Cuckoo:

somebody
16th July 2010, 17:56
i was the youngest of 3 older brothers and remember getting beat up by them, the queen drove past our house..well somebody drove her of course :icon_lol:

yep, sweets and crisps cost next to nothing, i had all the hand me downs from the older brothers and toys, :censored: well we i get some new stuff.

i also remember the song "tie a yellow ribbon round the oak tree" when the neighbor was looking after me, not forgeting the music, booze and drugs :Cuckoo:

Me driving the Queen in the 70's blimey im surprised i could see over the steering wheel!!

bornatbirth
16th July 2010, 18:02
Me driving the Queen in the 70's blimey im surprised i could see over the steering wheel!!

that somebody gets around :icon_lol:

Arthur Little
16th July 2010, 18:07
i was the youngest of 3 older brothers

Interestingly ... YOU really WOULD be born at birth :baby1: ... practically at the dawn of the decade!

bornatbirth
16th July 2010, 18:12
Interestingly ... YOU really WOULD be born at birth :baby1: ... practically at the dawn of the decade!

funny that you say that because i was born at 6 am too :)

aromulus
16th July 2010, 18:12
Early seventies I was in Germany.....:NoNo:

Flared trousers, long hair, loud music, the largest grundig reel to reel tape recorder anyone can imagine :yikes:, lenco 75 record player :rolleyes:, the first fiat 128 sold in Stuttgart was mine :xxgrinning--00xx3:, sorry to see my alfa romeo 1300 gt junior, go in part exchange...:bigcry:
Credence Clearwater Revival and James Brown music, the sound of philadelphia, Barry White, Cat Stevens, Beatles, Stones, Who, Iron Butterfly, Pink Floyd, etc, etc, etc..... Too many to mention...

Memories....:doh

Arthur Little
16th July 2010, 18:16
the queen drove past our house..

Aww ... :cwm24: ... I'VE been 42 years in MY house ... and she's never driven past IT! :bigcry:

davey
16th July 2010, 18:29
In 1977, I was in Liverpool getting married to this young lady:xxgrinning--00xx3:
http://www.liverpoolpictorial.co.uk/stcecilias.jpg

sars_notd_virus
16th July 2010, 18:46
I'm a ''Martial Law Baby''someone born between 1972 and 1986, during the martial law era under the Marcos administration. Martial law babies form a generation who have grown up in an environment where graft and corruption is rampant, where the police, military, and government are universally distrusted and where free speech and free press are nonexistent.,..not to mention my Mum works with National Defense and Dad is in the Airforce...disciplined young girl??? kinda:Erm: ooppss but nah,am a spoiled rotten:Rasp:;)

sars_notd_virus
16th July 2010, 18:48
[SIZE=4]Flared trousers, long hair, loud music, the largest grundig reel to reel tape recorder anyone can imagine :yikes:

treehugger:yikes::D

stevie c
16th July 2010, 18:51
who remembers tv programmes such as on the buses & the likely lads :icon_lol:

KeithD
16th July 2010, 18:53
Liver Birds :xxgrinning--00xx3:

stevie c
16th July 2010, 18:56
yeah & the sweeney & when the boat comes in:)

bornatbirth
16th July 2010, 18:59
i like steptoe and son and are you being served, dont forget bagpuss :D

raynaputi
16th July 2010, 19:03
can u post ur old (or younger years :D) photos too, like davey did?! :D

bornatbirth
16th July 2010, 19:04
can u post ur old (or younger years :D) photos too, like davey did?! :D

you wanna see the boss as a baby :Erm:

aromulus
16th July 2010, 19:11
treehugger:yikes::D

Not me....:NoNo:

I chopped many a saplings down, to barbeque wild rabbits and stray chickens that ventured into my campsite......:omg:

Those were the days of recreational substance experimentation... Trial and error on dosages and stuff....:D

Demijohns of Jim Beam, purchased at the PX by a friendly yankee pfc stationed at Kelley Barracks....:xxgrinning--00xx3:

raynaputi
16th July 2010, 19:19
BAB..not just the boss, all the dudes and dudettes here! Hahaha :icon_lol:

Doc Alan
16th July 2010, 19:21
I'm a ''Martial Law Baby''someone born between 1972 and 1986, during the martial law era under the Marcos administration.
I was in the Philippines during the Martial Law era. I was "lent" by the University of Glasgow to Universiti Malaya in Kuala Lumpur to teach medical students. During that year (1978) I visited hospitals in Manila, including the recently opened Heart Center For Asia. Imelda Marcos had also opened the Cultural Center in Manila. I remember reading the glowing accounts in the local press about President Marcos, before realising that the press was controlled by the Government :doh. Traffic was bad then (and it seems the same Jeepneys were around on my last vsit this year :yikes:). Shopping Malls were around even then but not on today's scale. Emailing and text messaging didn't exist :NoNo: Claire dela Fuente had released the song "Sayang" :). The "Manila sound" was the sound of the seventies... the Boyfriends were already popular , and a 12 year old was in the pop charts with the disco song "Mr. D.J." - Sharon Cuneta:xxgrinning--00xx3:who has since released about 40 albums.
When I arrived at NAIA this year I was met by two 32 year olds with the same surname as me ...:omg:

aromulus
16th July 2010, 19:30
When I arrived at NAIA this year I was met by two 32 year olds with the same surname as me ...:omg:

Sowing wild oats, huh...???:Erm:

Not that wild if they got your name....:Erm:

KeithD
16th July 2010, 19:47
Those were the days of recreational substance experimentation... Trial and error on dosages and stuff....:D

And boy does it show :D

aromulus
16th July 2010, 19:55
And boy does it show :D

Regrets I've had a few
But then again too few to mention
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption

I planned each charted course
Each careful step along the byway
And more, much more than this
I did it my way

raynaputi
16th July 2010, 20:04
:Erm:..did u know that that song caused lots of deaths here in the Philippines? :Rasp:

stevie c
16th July 2010, 20:09
really why was that rayna:Erm:

raynaputi
16th July 2010, 20:13
karaoke/videoke favorites among old drunk guys which usually causes fights..either wrong song choice or voice not good..hahaha :icon_lol:

stevie c
16th July 2010, 20:15
oh i see to much tanduay :NoNo: :icon_lol:

bornatbirth
16th July 2010, 20:20
:Erm:..did u know that that song caused lots of deaths here in the Philippines? :Rasp:

really why was that rayna:Erm:

they heard doms singing :icon_lol:

James Hubbard
16th July 2010, 20:46
1970's? :Erm:

You mean the world existed before 1981? :NoNo:

stevewool
16th July 2010, 21:04
first time sex in the seventies and before anyone says she was not in her seventies:icon_lol::icon_lol:

joebloggs
16th July 2010, 21:11

doms been singing in the phils to :yikes:, i'm not surprised when dom sings it here in the uk he has the same effect :cwm24::NoNo:

:laugher:

Sim11UK
16th July 2010, 21:17
I can remember you could get 4 packets of crisps for 10p, at some time in the 70's

Me & my sister used to go to the newsagents, on a saturday morning to buy them, then chomp through the lot of them, probably watching Swap Shop & Tiswas.

Smiths savoury vinegar crisps, were my favourites of the time. :D

Doc Alan
16th July 2010, 21:21
first time sex in the seventies and before anyone says she was not in her seventies:icon_lol::icon_lol:
New Year's Day 1970 nurses' party for me (where else?). I kept in touch by letter until I was sure she wasn't pregnant (nowadays it's by text messages) :omg:

Sim11UK
16th July 2010, 21:24
New Year's Day 1970 nurses' party for me (where else?). I kept in touch by letter until I was sure she wasn't pregnant (nowadays it's by text messages) :omg:

I think you would have known, if she was pregnant by now. :Erm:

aromulus
16th July 2010, 21:27
I think you would have known, if she was pregnant by now. :Erm:

Why do you think there were two 32 year old blokes with the same surname as him waiting for doc at the airport...???:Erm::Erm:

Sim11UK
16th July 2010, 21:31
Why do you think there were two 32 year old blokes with the same surname as him waiting for doc at the airport...???:Erm::Erm:

Daddy! :Hellooo: :Hellooo: :icon_lol:

davey
16th July 2010, 22:09
Being in Rome in 1977 when Liverpool FC won the European Cup for the first time. Amazing night.

All 1977:
First time in the Pines Hotel, Baguio. What is it like nowadays?
http://www.liverpoolpictorial.co.uk/pines.jpg

My first visit to Calumpit, Bulacan. Front L-R: Myself, missus, sis in law who came on the flight with us. That's not her baby! That's my other sis in law. We were all living in London at the time.
http://www.liverpoolpictorial.co.uk/calumpit.jpg

My first visit to Nayong Filipino. That's my bro and London sis in law again.
http://www.liverpoolpictorial.co.uk/nayongfilipino.jpg

JimOttley
16th July 2010, 22:09
The three day week, miners refusing to dig coal, so the TV closing down at 10pm to save electricity, the blackouts and all the candles we burned during this time.

I remember the last two years of the British Standard Time BST experiment when we all went to school in the dark wearing a dayglo orange sash to stop drivers killing us, this was in the day when kids WALKED to school.

I remember our family getting our first Colour TV (in time for the second and third seasons of the original Star Trek on the BBC)

I remember the summers of 76 and 75 the best two summers in the 30 year span from 1960.

The UTTERLY GLORIOUS summer of 76 was the year I got my first motorcycle, a second hand Honda CB125S and spent a large part of the summer on the Island of Arran.

First kiss and more.

Going to Glasgow University.

I was a bit scary and a bit intense in those days so here's an old photo from the end of the decade :-

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/23/26413622_e525cfd163_m.jpg

and another one from around 1973

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/23/26414485_1e293cf918_m.jpg

the badge on my lapel in the first one is from Jodrell Bank Radio Telescope, the scarf was a bit of a Doctor Who scarf and the rest of me was just a desperate mess :)

Oh I forgot to mention I did my first paid work as a Photographer about 8 months after that second shot was taken, I used to do weddings at that age, not a lot but if I had been older I would have been terrified at the responsibility I was taking on :)

For me it was a good decade good memories.

Jim

davey
16th July 2010, 22:26
Nice one Jim and thanks for the bio mate.
Last one from me as I'm hogging it. This is my Butlins ID when I worked on the fairground in 1974. I was off my face for most of that year:crazy:
http://www.liverpoolpictorial.co.uk/butlins.jpg

Scouse
22nd July 2010, 21:42
Davey

If you were in Liverpool in 1977 did you ever go to Erics?

Sim11UK
22nd July 2010, 22:27
What were the flights like, back in the 70's to the Philippines Davey?

davey
23rd July 2010, 16:27
Davey

If you were in Liverpool in 1977 did you ever go to Erics?
Scouse, I left Liverpool as teen in 75, but was never away from the city for more than a couple of weeks. Still the same now. I went to Erics quite a few times in the late 70s. My cousin Stuart Wood would have gone a lot more. He formed the band Change to the East (http://music-isms.blogspot.com/2009/03/change-to-east-demos-1985-86.html) in the early 80s. Went on to start his own lighting equipment company and done the lights for Cream...but that's another story:)

James Hubbard
23rd July 2010, 16:33
Stuart Wood would

I love words :)

davey
23rd July 2010, 16:35
What were the flights like, back in the 70's to the Philippines Davey? Not much different from today, unless change has crept up so slowly, I've missed them all. For me, the best thing nowadays is having the movies on the back of the passengers' head rests. Oh yeah, the no smoking section was the back half of the plane in those days:crazy:

davey
23rd July 2010, 16:36
I love words :)My youngest brother is Ken Wood. He's a good mixer.
:doh

James Hubbard
23rd July 2010, 16:37
Hahahaha!

I don't know about him, but I would! :action-smiley-081::hubbahubba: ... don't talk about woodies ;)

James Hubbard
23rd July 2010, 16:37
Hahahaha!

I don't know about him, but I would! :action-smiley-081::hubbahubba: ... don't talk about woodies ;)

A good pun is it's own reword.

davey
23rd July 2010, 16:43
A good pun is it's own reword.

I like the unintended puns best.
True story. Ex gf was complaining about her feet one morning. She said she had Athlete's Foot and that it ran in the family:Cuckoo:

James Hubbard
23rd July 2010, 16:48
I like the unintended puns best.
True story. Ex gf was complaining about her feet one morning. She said she had Athlete's Foot and that it ran in the family:Cuckoo:

Very good!

Sounds ditzy! Probably the reason why she's the Ex! hahaha ;):icon_lol:

Sim11UK
23rd July 2010, 20:27
Nice one Jim and thanks for the bio mate.
Last one from me as I'm hogging it. This is my Butlins ID when I worked on the fairground in 1974. I was off my face for most of that year:crazy:
http://www.liverpoolpictorial.co.uk/butlins.jpg

Must have been great working on the fair, back in '74...Like David Essex, in 'That'll be the day'. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Not much different from today, unless change has crept up so slowly, I've missed them all. For me, the best thing nowadays is having the movies on the back of the passengers' head rests. Oh yeah, the no smoking section was the back half of the plane in those days:crazy:

Yeah! the in-flight entertainment, helps relieve the boredom. Can't omagine people smoking on the plane :crazy: Though it was only a few years ago, when everybody used to light up on the buses.

pennybarry
24th July 2010, 06:42
During that year (1978) I visited hospitals in Manila, including the recently opened Heart Center For Asia. Imelda Marcos had also opened the Cultural Center in Manila. I remember reading the glowing accounts in the local press about President Marcos, before realising that the press was controlled by the Government :doh. Traffic was bad then (and it seems the same Jeepneys were around on my last vsit this year :yikes:). Shopping Malls were around even then but not on today's scale. Emailing and text messaging didn't exist :NoNo: Claire dela Fuente had released the song "Sayang" :). The "Manila sound" was the sound of the seventies... the Boyfriends were already popular , and a 12 year old was in the pop charts with the disco song "Mr. D.J." - Sharon Cuneta:xxgrinning--00xx3:who has since released about 40 albums.

Really Alan? Heart Center was one of projects by Imelda. I was in high school and spent a month there to look after my sister. It was a beautiful building before and help poor people that time. My first time to see her when she personally visited my sis in her room giving some inspirational words. She said she likes my sis to live longer as she needs good teachers in our country.

Dr Garcia was famous doctor in Heart Center during that time and he offers free treatment for poor people. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

http://www.filamimage.com/1990_TOFA/jgarcia.html

Doc Alan
24th July 2010, 07:30
Dr Garcia was famous doctor in Heart Center during that time and he offers free treatment for poor people. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

http://www.filamimage.com/1990_TOFA/jgarcia.html
Thanks for the link Penny. I had the chance to work as pathologist in the Heart Center, and also Makati Medical Center, but simply couldn't afford to do so at the salary offered. Even in Malaysia my own University of Glasgow had to subsidize my salary while I was "on loan" to teach students there. I really wish I could have worked for longer in either country, as there was so obviously a shortage of doctors, and the memories of friendships built up then never left me :)

Fitzy
26th July 2010, 23:43
Jamboree bags, Jubbly triangular ice pops.
Vinyl, and 8 track tapes:D

Fitzy
26th July 2010, 23:43
Jamboree bags, Jubbly triangular ice pops.
Vinyl, and 8 track tapes:D

James Hubbard
26th July 2010, 23:47
what is this 70's thing you all are talking about? The world didn't exist until 1981!

stevewool
27th July 2010, 07:29
the seventies was fun able to walk anywhere and do what we wanted ,scumping hedgehoping getting into trouble, fights all things that was part of growing up , silly things really but all great times, even the clip round the earhole from the policeman telling you to go home , then getting home telling your dad what the policeman did and then he hit the other one :icon_lol::icon_lol:, nice times good memories

Alan
27th July 2010, 08:21
For me the seventies remind me of being a professional musician before going into teaching.

Al.:)

KeithD
27th July 2010, 09:27
For me the seventies remind me of being a professional musician before going into teaching.

Al.:)

1870's :)

Alan
27th July 2010, 13:19
1870's :)

ee's a card is our Keith i'nt he?

AL.:)

KeithD
27th July 2010, 16:35
ee's a card is our Keith i'nt he?

AL.:)

Eccles cakes! :Erm:

Arthur Little
28th July 2010, 15:02
Right up until the end of the decade, there were four generations of my family still alive. Then, in December 1979, my maternal *grandfather - a product of the Victorian Era - died ... barely three months short of his 98th birthday. In slightly over thirty years' since, the 'Grim Reaper' has wielded his scythe to the extent of wiping out all but one of that *venerable old man's issue ... his youngest daughter, my aunt ... herself, 92 years of age ... and my sole surviving relative of a successive ... now almost extinct ... generation. :bigcry: Once again, an assurance that "time & tide wait for NO man/woman"!!

KeithD
28th July 2010, 15:17
When I die I'm going to be pickled :)

Northerner
28th July 2010, 15:30
My memory does not go back before 1980.. But then I was born in late 1976:)

KeithD
28th July 2010, 15:51
. But then I was born in late 1976BC :)
:cwm24:

Doc Alan
28th July 2010, 18:08
When I die I'm going to be pickled :)University Anatomy departments need organs ... but they have to be normal :doh

KeithD
28th July 2010, 19:04
University Anatomy departments need organs ... but they have to be normal :doh
That's OK..... I'm booked into Area 51 :Cuckoo:

Arthur Little
30th July 2010, 17:23
University Anatomy departments NEED organs ...

... alas this didn't SEEM to have been the case with those of my late first wife, Iris, who - throughout virtually all the twenty-four years of our marriage - suffered from a severe form of Rheumatoid Arthritis (:Erm: ... not ArtHUritis, I hasten to add!) and had, several times, made it plain [to me] that, in the eventuality of her death, her body should be donated to Medical Research as part of a relentless bid to offer a possible cure to others "plagued" by this painful and debilitating disease in the future.

As it happened, during the final 9 months of her life, she developed terminal Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma :bigcry: ... which, the oncologists treating her claimed, was caused mainly by the steroid drugs she'd been prescribed to combat her arthritis, playing havoc with her auto-immune system.

Shortly before she died, I spoke to a senior consultant at Ninewells Medical School & Teaching Hospital in Dundee - with a view to having her last wishes fulfilled - only to be informed that, in accordance with medical legislation, the bodies of deceased cancer patients could NOT, in any circumstances, be bequeathed for research. :nono-1-1: And, to this day, I've never fully understood the reasons for such an [apparently] :crazy: ruling :NoNo: ... because I knew of one lady whose family had successfully arranged for it to be done - shortly after she'd succumbed to a breast malignancy. But, of course, that had been back in 1973 ... nearly 20 years earlier.

My apologies for the morbid nature of this post ... but I wondered, Alan, if - as an eminent pathologist - you could, perhaps, enlighten me? :rolleyes:

badrock
30th July 2010, 19:23
Sowing my oats. Underage drinking. Flares then Oxford bags. AAAAAAHHHHHHH the good days. HE HE

stevewool
30th July 2010, 19:29
ben sherman shirts, budjie jackets remember them two tone trousers, :icon_lol:

aposhark
30th July 2010, 19:58
Best decade for music in my opinion.
Music was everything to most of us, it defined who was who as we grew up and made friends.

Went into a record shop in 1972 and came out with the Allman Brothers Band's double LP "Eat A Peach" and my life changed :icon_lol:

It was long hair in those days, the longest was the "coolest" as we all saw so many great bands playing live in Liverpool Stadium.
Discovering life as a teenager and all the joys and pitfalls that all that brings.

Clothes were wrangler jeans and loons (very flared trousers) and t-shirts with strange platform-soled boots.

Also playing football at every chance we could.
Even Everton were good in those days :xxgrinning--00xx3:

I left to work overseas as a radio/radar technician in 1977 so started to see and learn about the world also.

Heady days, memories are made of this :icon_lol:

triple5
30th July 2010, 20:06
The 80s was a blessing when it came along :xxgrinning--00xx3: Traded the Raleigh chopper in for a BMX and got those nasty sideburns lopped off :D

Doc Alan
30th July 2010, 20:31
.. my late first wife, Iris ... throughout virtually all the twenty-four years of our marriage suffered from a severe form of Rheumatoid Arthritis (:Erm: ... not ArtHUritis, I hasten to add!) and had, several times, made it plain [to me] that, in the eventuality of her death, her body should be donated to Medical Research as part of a relentless bid to offer a possible cure to others "plagued" by this painful and debilitating disease...

Shortly before she died, I spoke to a senior consultant at Ninewells Medical School & Teaching Hospital in Dundee - with a view to having her last wishes fulfilled - only to be informed that, in accordance with medical legislation, the bodies of deceased cancer patients could NOT, in any circumstances, be bequeathed for research. :nono-1-1: And, to this day, I've never fully understood the reasons for such an [apparently] :crazy: ruling :NoNo: ... because I knew of one lady whose family had successfully arranged for it to be done - shortly after she'd succumbed to a breast malignancy. But, of course, that had been back in 1973 ... nearly 20 years earlier.

My apologies for the morbid nature of this post ... but I wondered, Alan, if - as an eminent pathologist - you could, perhaps, enlighten me? :rolleyes:
Arthur, you've reminded us that, while we like to remember the good things about the past (with rose-tinted spectacles) we all also have painful memories. Added to this, your memories are troubled by conflicting advice.
It's true (as I jokingly posted) that Anatomy departments want normal organs for teaching trainee doctors. Equally if someone has arranged to donate their body after death to such a department, dissection may reveal disease, including cancer, that was unsuspected during life.
Your late first wife Iris was unfortunate to suffer two serious illnesses, the second of which might sadly have arisen as a side effect of treatment. She unselfishly wanted to donate her body to medical research and that was denied.
I can reassure you that a very great deal can be learned from samples taken during life of patients, especially nowadays (clearly when informed consent has been given). This includes stored fluids (not just blood) and also tissue preserved forever after "fixation" and embedding in wax. An amazing number of useful tests can be done , too many to list here, which truly help understanding and treatment of diseases for future patients. Donation of whole bodies is now only really required for Anatomy departments.
From a medical point of view, advances since the 1970's have been truly remarkable and undreamed of then, which keeps my post relevant to this thread!

Arthur Little
31st July 2010, 01:30
Alan ... although conscious of the tremendous strides that have taken place in modern medicine, surgical technique - and even pathology itself - your explanation has helped me become more fully aware of the actual progress that has been made in these fields within the past 2/3 decades. :68711_thanx:

And now ... back to the main [cheerier] topic(s) of this thread ... ! :rolleyes:

Arthur Little
31st July 2010, 01:55
Traded the Raleigh chopper in for a BMX and got those nasty *sideburns lopped off :D

Hmm ... so the 'Chopper' was traded-in ... and the "sidechoppers" [as WE used to call *them!] got the "chop" :xxmixed-smiley-017: as well then, Paul?

aposhark
31st July 2010, 07:02
When I die I'm going to be pickled :)

In Branston. Yuk :yikes:

stevewool
31st July 2010, 11:26
pickled lilly yuk

triple5
31st July 2010, 12:06
Hmm ... so the 'Chopper' was traded-in ... and the "sidechoppers" [as WE used to call *them!] got the "chop" :xxmixed-smiley-017: as well then, Paul?

I can't remember the exact year when everyone started cutting their sideburns, those with tanned faces suddenly had white stripes down the side of their faces :icon_lol: And then came the curly perms :doh