PDA

View Full Version : My Tips on getting a Spouse Visa Fast!

James Hubbard
26th July 2010, 00:39
Intro:

Ok, so it took only a few days for my wife to get her visa granted. Something in the region of only 3 days' processing time.

I will try briefly to explain some of the reasons why that came together and what we did to "make it happen".

Point 1)

--Be Super Organised.

The more organised the easier you make it for the ECO. Think about it for a minute.

Don't you appreciate it in work if someone makes it easy for you? If someone cuts out all the hassle and just makes life a bit more bearable?

The ECO's are no different.

So make their job easy. I will give you a few steps here.

--Organise all your papers in the order of the "checklist". Do NOT deviate from that (http://www.vfs-uk-ph.com/images/Settlement_sponsored_by_spouse.pdf). Do not try to improve on their order. If they say they want to see copies of the sponsor's passport first, just do it. They have their reasons.

--Be meticulous not to leave anything out. Dissect the checklist and make sure you have included EVERYTHING.

--Make sure everything is neatly presented. This says a lot about you.

-- Start each new part of your folder with a separate A4 covering letter. This will really make it easy for them to know where the next section begins and the previous one ended.

--Invest in Dividers - for the same reason as before.

--Include a "Contents" page, and note subcontents on this page, that will really really help.

Point 2... Mindset

You MUST be a bit obsessive about the whole thing.

To be as exacting as I have mentioned above, it does require a certain element of obsessiveness. Not to the point where it becomes a mental illness, but to the point where it's a Mindset!

Mindset is all important.

I'll tell you what, It may have only taken a few days for the visa to get processed, but that visa has been 3.5 years in the making.

We have been obsessive about keeping every little document, no matter how trivial ... and look, it paid off.

Point 3
Don't do overkill

Ok, look, as much as I have told you to include everything, don't give them every dang document in your life. If you bore them to tears, they'll not get to the meat of your application, which brings me nicely onto my final point

Point 4

Application form and Letter of Intent.

-Fill in application form properly and fully.

-Don't leave part 9 blank, as it's the opportune space for the applicant to sell herself to the ECO. Sell sell sell. Tell them why you deserve a visa, but in a humble and businesslike way.

-Don't ever use a chatty or emotional tone. The ECO cares about concrete matters in a business way - you got money, place to live, and a solid marriage. Yes or No, tick box, NEXT... so don't think that because you're emotionally involved that the ECO will be! Adopt a project-oriented approach. It will help and pay off.

-Regarding the letter of intent or Sponsor's letter ... there are a number or samples here for you to just put into your own words.

I literally cut and pasted one that Joe Bloggs had put on here (and i think it's the same one that's been put around this site many times).

It's short, sharp, succinct and to the point. That's what wins points!

SO there you have it.

I would be remiss though if I didn't include the following points:

Additional Points
-I also made sure to offer my wife a job from my company.
-I own my house outright, so it's a big plus
-We lived together in the Phils, so it's easy to establish evidence of relationship
-We had about double in savings what we're recommended. HAD is the notable word there ;) definitely don't now! lol

So there it is.

Hopefully that helps. If it does please let me know :)

James "Helpful" Hubbard!

Lady_Ivy
26th July 2010, 03:19
Wow, these are very valuable tips James..Thank you. I was supposed to ask where can I find the checklist and its just right there in the link you provided..Whew..;)

James Hubbard
26th July 2010, 03:23
Wow, these are very valuable tips James..Thank you. I was supposed to ask where can I find the checklist and its just right there in the link you provided..Whew..;)

You're welcome :) that's what I am here for :)

aryM
26th July 2010, 06:09
Thank you so much for this post James.:Wave: This will help us a lot in our visa processing soon. thanks again and God bless!

Josieyam65
26th July 2010, 08:31
Hello James, just want to ask. Did your wife also included prints of your emails? If so, what did she printed: is it the email she sent to you? or the email you sent to her?
I asked this because i've read from other post that their application was denied because one of the reason is that the wife submitted the emails her husband sent her, not the email she sent to him. I'm confuse now. Thanks in advance :)

stevie c
26th July 2010, 10:06
James Thanks for all the valuable information im sure this will help me & many others in our visa application :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Arthur Little
26th July 2010, 12:02
James Thanks for all the valuable information im sure this will help me & many others in our visa application :xxgrinning--00xx3:

:iagree: ... excellent thread, James! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

James Hubbard
26th July 2010, 12:46
@Ary - Glad that it will help

@Josie - My wife printed out the emails that I sent to her, and also the emails that she sent to me :) Both ways.

@Stevie - Many thanks for your words and I am glad that this will help you and others :)

@Arthur - Thanks for complementing the thread :)

James "Settlement Visa" Hubbard.

justchecking
26th July 2010, 15:16
Hi James - I think this i helpful. my husband got his visa processed in 10 days, and the similarities are about clearly having labelled sections with a cover note that says what you have included, and a title of what the evidence is e.g. evidence of relationship, evidence of living together as if married, evidence of marriage. My only comment is that they don't send the folders with file dividers, they take it all out and stuff it in an envelope - we bound each section with the cover note with separate paper holders so when they took them out of the plastic sections in the folder - they still didn't fall apart!!!

And yes as you say in the exact order requested!!
good luck to others

James Hubbard
26th July 2010, 15:34
Thanks for the comment JustChecking :)

Glad ur visa was quick also

James :)

bornatbirth
26th July 2010, 23:22
how well you organize the visa application may speed up the time the application is viewed and the visa is given, im unsure why some get there visa so quick and others far longer :Erm:

anyway the shorter time anyone as to wait is great :D

James Hubbard
26th July 2010, 23:31
Yeh, I really do think a neurotically organised approach is better on all levels, and will yield great results :)

Josieyam65
27th July 2010, 04:05
Thank you, James and Congratulations... :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Sim11UK
27th July 2010, 06:43
how well you organize the visa application may speed up the time the application is viewed and the visa is given, im unsure why some get there visa so quick and others far longer :Erm:

I'm sure some of it is down to who processes it, which pile it is put on, whether newer applications are put on top of it? etc. :Cuckoo:

-sillybilly-
27th July 2010, 07:07
Mr. Hubba! Hubba!:hubbahubba:

All of my docs were properly in order according to the vfs guidance checklist with all its label inside the folder. But since i didnt have photocopies of my docs i was asked to do so and took off the label because i was rushing to be back by 1pm.

Fortunately the lady called me and took all the photocopies that i have arranged together with the original without any labels. She didnt check the originals though only them photocopies one by one.

Then that was it. Shes signed the checklist and sticked all the original docs with the photos and other supporting papers in a black bag and told me to wait for my biometric before i leave the place. I hope they dont get confused in looking on my papers. Well they are supposed to look each pages anyways so they will find which one is which.

Friday night ive got an sms saying " visa application with ref..blah blah has now been dispatch to the british embassy for processing". Since then i havent heard anymore. My husband has checked online and it says "application has been forwarded to the British Hign Commission". Dont know what that means though but it has been like that since monday.

stevewool
27th July 2010, 07:19
sillybilly what a great picture :hubbahubba::hubbahubba:

-sillybilly-
27th July 2010, 07:36
sillybilly what a great picture :hubbahubba::hubbahubba:

Haha! Thanks Steve!
I was just bored so i thought to put attention on my profile pics! :D

KeithD
27th July 2010, 09:31

If you give them exactly what they require so they need not do any 'out of embassy' checks then it will be processed quicker. If everyone actually done that then their would be no delays, it's those that mess up the application or don't supply all the required docs that slow everyone else down. It now appears the embassy has an efficient process in place so they check the apps on receipt and those that pass the basic test get fast tracked rather than being held up and done in order of arrival.

LEAHnew
27th July 2010, 09:42
Excellent post James:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Yeh, I really do think a neurotically organised approach is better on all levels, and will yield great results :)

You said you arranged and prepare it for 3 years and mine been doing it twice already:D:xxgrinning--00xx3: so we deserved a quick result:xxgrinning--00xx3::Jump::Jump:cheers!

James Hubbard
27th July 2010, 12:49
Excellent post James:xxgrinning--00xx3:

You said you arranged and prepare it for 3 years and mine been doing it twice already:D:xxgrinning--00xx3: so we deserved a quick result:xxgrinning--00xx3::Jump::Jump:cheers!

haha, sakto!

Josieyam65
28th July 2010, 02:20
Mr. Hubba! Hubba!:hubbahubba:

All of my docs were properly in order according to the vfs guidance checklist with all its label inside the folder. But since i didnt have photocopies of my docs i was asked to do so and took off the label because i was rushing to be back by 1pm.

Fortunately the lady called me and took all the photocopies that i have arranged together with the original without any labels. She didnt check the originals though only them photocopies one by one.

Then that was it. Shes signed the checklist and sticked all the original docs with the photos and other supporting papers in a black bag and told me to wait for my biometric before i leave the place. I hope they dont get confused in looking on my papers. Well they are supposed to look each pages anyways so they will find which one is which.

Friday night ive got an sms saying " visa application with ref..blah blah has now been dispatch to the british embassy for processing". Since then i havent heard anymore. My husband has checked online and it says "application has been forwarded to the British Hign Commission". Dont know what that means though but it has been like that since monday.

Just wondering, if i'll send the documents through LBC (because i'm from Cebu), hows about my biometrics? :Erm:

James Hubbard
28th July 2010, 02:52
Just wondering, if i'll send the documents through LBC (because i'm from Cebu), hows about my biometrics? :Erm:

From what I am aware, you must make the journey to Manila in person.

My wife is from Negros Oriental and needed to go to manila for it.

-sillybilly-
28th July 2010, 03:49

You will need to make the effort to travel to Manila as it is now required to apply in person and so for the biometric. They will take a photo of you and your fingerprint.

Also incase there is a problem they will let you know as soon as possible and will try to sort them out.

Josieyam65
28th July 2010, 07:03
Thank you James and Sillybilly... Another question, please....Do i have to set an appointment? Or just go to the early. Which is better?

aryM
28th July 2010, 08:10
I already had Biometric records in the embassy when i applied for a visit visa, do we still need another biometric registration when I will apply for a spouse visa?

sars_notd_virus
28th July 2010, 08:25
Very Good thread James:xxgrinning--00xx3:
and if i may add ''proper planning and preparation prevents piss poor performance.'':)

stevie c
28th July 2010, 09:24
I already had Biometric records in the embassy when i applied for a visit visa, do we still need another biometric registration when I will apply for a spouse visa?

Hi aryM yes im afraid you will need to have your biometrics done again everytime you submit a visa application you will be required to have your biometrics taken :xxgrinning--00xx3:

aryM
28th July 2010, 11:00
Hi aryM yes im afraid you will need to have your biometrics done again everytime you submit a visa application you will be required to have your biometrics taken :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Thank you so much for that clarification Sir Stevie. I thought before, once you have a biometric record in the embassy, you no longer need to do it again and you may post the application documents to the embassy.:Erm: it would mean another trip to manila for the submission and biometrics. :NoNo:

Thanks again Sir:Wave:

James Hubbard
28th July 2010, 12:49
Thank you James and Sillybilly... Another question, please....Do i have to set an appointment? Or just go to the early. Which is better?

If you "walk in" make sure you get there at 7am. If you arrive another time, you're likely to be sent back and told to come tomorrow "ugma na lang"!

Sillybilly says that her "appointment" was useless, but at least, that way you know what time you're gonna be there.

James Hubbard
28th July 2010, 12:50
Very Good thread James:xxgrinning--00xx3:
and if i may add ''proper planning and preparation prevents piss poor performance.'':)

Amen :)

and ta for the rep :) salamat po

stevie c
28th July 2010, 15:52
Thank you so much for that clarification Sir Stevie. I thought before, once you have a biometric record in the embassy, you no longer need to do it again and you may post the application documents to the embassy.:Erm: it would mean another trip to manila for the submission and biometrics. :NoNo:

Thanks again Sir:Wave:

Only to glad to be of some assistance aryM

tycon
28th July 2010, 19:47
thankyou very much,very helpfull.

Josieyam65
29th July 2010, 02:58
If you "walk in" make sure you get there at 7am. If you arrive another time, you're likely to be sent back and told to come tomorrow "ugma na lang"!

Sillybilly says that her "appointment" was useless, but at least, that way you know what time you're gonna be there.

Salamat kaayo, James! Sorry for the queries. its just that me and my husband married last year and we don't have any idea about spouse visa and how/where to file. Thank your very much to the one who made this site!!! :xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:
More queries, pwede? How did you bind all your documents? Did you use a ring binder folder? Or that plastic sheet binder? And how about the cards (birthday, valentines, christmas, etc.), would i also place it in the ring binder folder? Thank you..

-sillybilly-
29th July 2010, 04:04
Salamat kaayo, James! Sorry for the queries. its just that me and my husband married last year and we don't have any idea about spouse visa and how/where to file. Thank your very much to the one who made this site!!! :xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:
More queries, pwede? How did you bind all your documents? Did you use a ring binder folder? Or that plastic sheet binder? And how about the cards (birthday, valentines, christmas, etc.), would i also place it in the ring binder folder? Thank you..

Heres what you should do:

Get atleast 2 envelopes, one for the photocopies of your documents and one for the original ones. No need to put it in the arch lever folder as they will ask you to take them out and have to be arranged according to the guidance list. Cards can be put in a plastic sheet folder. What i did with the photographs, ive pasted them on an a4 sheets. so they are in place when the vfs go through it.

But you can put labels like post it, to separate each documents for the vfs not to get confused as it really helps a lot for fast results!

With regards to the appointment, yes you make an appointment online as they will ask for the printed one, they do have a list of applicants for the day and will have to sign on it.

The appointment time is useless, i mean they dont follow it..soon as they asked for your appointment letter they will give a number which means you will wait till your number gets called out. I suggest that you make your appointment NOT on friday as based from my experienced, it was busy, too many applicants, and staff were grumpy from working all week i guess... and trying to finish off the qeue as soon as they can. So they can leave early! :NoNo:

Biometrics. They will call your name and need to get inside the small room for picture taking and fingerprint scan...then thats it.

After the submission of your application you will receive an sms at the end of the day saying " Visa application Ref no xxxx has been dispatch to the British Embassy for processing."

Then the waiting begins.....GOODLUCK WITH YOUR APPLICATION!

Make sure you have everything and have filled up the application correctly so when you submit your application you are confident enough that you gave everything that is needed. And so that you dont have to worry about and no nightmares!:)

Josieyam65
29th July 2010, 05:28
Thank you very much, sillybilly. Its really a big help. :xxgrinning--00xx3:
And Congratulations on your Visa, i'm jealous, hahaha.

James Hubbard
29th July 2010, 13:44
Very good answers 'reece
deserves a rep point,
walang anoman :)

-sillybilly-
29th July 2010, 22:57
Very good answers 'reece
deserves a rep point,
walang anoman :)

No worries James!

Yeah whats that rep points all about? Is it like a reward points where i can claim food shopping? :hubbahubba::Jump::crazy::D:icon_lol::laugher::Rasp:

James Hubbard
29th July 2010, 22:58
No worries James!

Yeah whats that rep points all about? Is it like a reward points where i can claim food shopping? :hubbahubba::Jump::crazy::D:icon_lol::laugher::Rasp:

yeh, for every rep point you get, Admin or a Mod will give you £100 :D:xxgrinning--00xx3:

-sillybilly-
29th July 2010, 23:32
yeh, for every rep point you get, Admin or a Mod will give you £100 :D:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Nooooo!!!

Are being serious James?
Well they can send me it through western union as im only using my Tatay's bank account! :laugher:

James Hubbard
29th July 2010, 23:34
Nooooo!!!

Are being serious James?
Well they can send me it through western union as im only using my Tatay's bank account! :laugher:

they'll keep it in a holding account til you get here :D

then u and hubby can par-tay! :D hehe:xxgrinning--00xx3:

mish
1st October 2010, 11:31
thanks for the helpful tips! GOD bless u more :):xxgrinning--00xx3:

Mindanao Mal
1st October 2010, 13:16
Thanks James, very helpful guide. :pray: