PDA

View Full Version : Asia’s obsession with white skin leaves a black mark

aposhark
30th July 2010, 20:47
http://www.asianpacificpost.com/portal2/ff8080810b1faf95010b2498f44a01b7_Asian_white_skin.do.html

My wife used to use "skinwhite" cream when I met her.
I used to dislike seeing all the white-skinned models on the TV and posters in the Philippines, particularly because most of the ladies in the Philippines were and still are of Malayo-Polynesian descent.
Then she came to live in the UK where darker skin is seen as being more attractive.
The world-wide cosmetic industry laughs all the way to the bank :NoNo:

stevewool
30th July 2010, 20:51
emma uses this soap whitner over there too , but i try and tell her that i fell in love with her the way she is and people word love to have her colour over here :)

triple5
30th July 2010, 20:54
They'll never listen :doh :cwm23: media all over the world must be working with these cosmetic and tanning companies :rolleyes:

Steve.r
30th July 2010, 21:48
I saw my mahal using a talcom powder on her face that made her look a little whiter. I tell her that women in the Uk would die to have her colour, but she wants to be whiter. mad isn't it :crazy:

alanp
30th July 2010, 21:51
can you get a browning soap my legs just go red in the sun then straight back to white :laugher:

stevewool
30th July 2010, 21:55
yep its called mud:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

Doc Alan
30th July 2010, 21:58
There is an irony here that people are not happy with their natural skin colour, and it's no "pigment of the imagination" :doh
Melanocytes are the cells which produce melanin pigment as a natural skin protection factor. The most important risk factor for malignant melanoma, the most lethal form of skin cancer, is UV (ultraviolet) light. Yet its frequency has grown faster than any other cancer, especially but not only in light-skinned / fair-skinned people. Don't forget the sunblock creams, lotions and sprays, the only ones that really matter! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

alanp
30th July 2010, 22:07
oh yes Steve tried that and marmite.
:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

stevewool
30th July 2010, 22:10
yak marmite i live not far from the factory and when the wind blows so does the smell:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

-sillybilly-
30th July 2010, 22:59
Haha!

Im glad i never use skin whitener!
I dont care what people say in the Philippines...yes i have a dark skin. SO? Im proud of it and you know why.....

Im prettier and more attractive than them! And im 100% still getting the attention even i was married, have 2 kids, divorce and married again...

This is my natural color and this is what God has given me so im satisfied and happy!

BUT i keep my skin flawless so i eat fruits and have to detox sometimes from eating all the naughty food!:hubbahubba:
Ive heard enough of the side effects from using skin whitener, from soaps, capsules, and injectable ones. And i thought..nah! Im happy with my color!:)

fred
30th July 2010, 23:20
And i thought..nah! Im happy with my color!:)Thats good,but if you were applying for a job here (R.P) ,the interviewer might not be happy with your colour and has a perfect right to say that you are too black for the position.

South-east boy
31st July 2010, 01:32
I saw my mahal using a talcom powder on her face that made her look a little whiter. I tell her that women in the Uk would die to have her colour, but she wants to be whiter. mad isn't it :crazy:

Yeah, I've heard and read about this and do see quite often in the profiles on dating sites, girls mentioning having white or brown skin and wondered why they bother putting that?

-sillybilly-
31st July 2010, 06:07
Thats good,but if you were applying for a job here (R.P) ,the interviewer might not be happy with your colour and has a perfect right to say that you are too black for the position.

Hey Sir Fred I am no black! Did you mean brown?:D

Thats why i hate the descrimination here in RP without knowing the ability and the background of ones personality...tsk tsk!

O well i never applied for a job here in my own country anyways, but incase i needed to, I aint gonna let them say that to me....i will have them eat my words and walk out with a head and chin up high!

And one more thing I aint gonna apply for a job with an opposite description to what they are looking for.

I would rather hear im no "meztizang hilaw" atleast im proud that everything in me is "NO FAKE, NO ARTIFICIAL!"

And i guess thats why foreign are madly absessed with Filipinas as they are naturally brown.....not black! :D

aposhark
31st July 2010, 06:46
My wife and I went to a barbeque a few weeks back and we met many nice Fil-Brit couples.
We were both pleasantly surprised to see that the children from these parents have nice features, their skin colour was very appealing to my wife as she saw how her children might look.

She always looks forward to having children with "long nose and white skin" :yikes: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

I don't think she will ever rid herself of the attraction of white skin though.
I think this attraction comes through many generations and perhaps this belief will only change when the media in the Philippines uses models/actresses who have that beautiful brown skin colour that I prefer.

Sometimes when I watch TV in Cebu City, I feel I am in Hong Kong or Taiwan when I see so many white skinned actors and actresses :yikes::rolleyes:

nigel
31st July 2010, 07:55
Have Filipina's not noticed that white is the colour of a pig? So you want to look like a pig huh?:rolleyes:

ghee101
31st July 2010, 08:06
well, its the way our old folks raised us. nowadays, not everyone uses "baby powder" anymore. it's not just the white effect, we use it to take the oily look off our face. as for me, i use it on my body to help me feel cool, to eliminate the sweaty feeling esp with the tropical weather we have -

...and i remember my grandmother, my aunts and my mama when i use it. among my siblings, i am the only one left using baby powder :(

nigel
31st July 2010, 08:09
The natural dark colour Filipino's have is a HEALTHY look! You are effortlessly HEALTHY looking..it's very attractive... it's my favourite thing about Philippines - Everbodys good looking! :)

Pale skin can be percieved as being unhealthy.. "Are you ok? You look pale?" etc

rani
31st July 2010, 08:11
i am proud of my brown skin :xxgrinning--00xx3:

stevewool
31st July 2010, 08:14
we all should be happy who we are :)

ghee101
31st July 2010, 08:26
Hahaha! Yes, you are right about the media. But nonetheless, there are people who don't really look good tan although I know some who look better when they are darker.

One time, after a summer outing, I tried on some of my tan make up knowing it was the only time I can use them for it will blend well with my present color. I passed by my ex hubby's office that afternoon and he gave me weird look, I knew what he had in mind. Then he said, "don't ever use that shade again." Hahahaha I didn't like the way it looked on me too.

Last June, after my European tour with my choir, I was about two or three shades darker. We usually get those from tours because we spend a lot of our time roaming the cities during breaks from our concerts. I am normally fair -- not really dark, not really white. But my boyfriend didn't like me too much dark too when he saw me in person. He knew I'm just tanned from the month-long tour before we met. Good nice brown suited me, a little fair for I am performing in front of crowd. Filipinos tend to admire fair performers. If I can have a preferred skin type, it won't matter if I'm not white as long as I have a nice even color and (wishing) a really smooth skin. Too bad, with the pollution here and my lack of the right nutrients (and my age) I never really had the luxury to be attentive to my skin.

ghee101
31st July 2010, 08:26
Hahaha! Yes, you are right about the media. But nonetheless, there are people who don't really look good tan although I know some who look better when they are darker.

One time, after a summer outing, I tried on some of my tan make up knowing it was the only time I can use them for it will blend well with my present color. I passed by my ex hubby's office that afternoon and he gave me weird look, I knew what he had in mind. Then he said, "don't ever use that shade again." Hahahaha I didn't like the way it looked on me too.

Last June, after my European tour with my choir, I was about two or three shades darker. We usually get those from tours because we spend a lot of our time roaming the cities during breaks from our concerts. I am normally fair -- not really dark, not really white. But my boyfriend didn't like me too much dark too when he saw me in person. He knew I'm just tanned from the month-long tour before we met. Good nice brown suited me, a little fair for I am performing in front of crowd. Filipinos tend to admire fair performers. If I can have a preferred skin type, it won't matter if I'm not white as long as I have a nice even color and (wishing) a really smooth skin. Too bad, with the pollution here and my lack of the right nutrients (and my age) I never really had the luxury to be attentive to my skin.

ghee101
31st July 2010, 08:30
Have Filipina's not noticed that white is the colour of a pig? So you want to look like a pig huh?:rolleyes:

Is this how you look at white people? Just wondering...

Peace!

stevewool
31st July 2010, 08:33
the skin we all have is just a outer layer , skin deep, its whats inside that counts ad when someone has found the best from each other well what else matters, love is blind, its whats in our hearts we are all chaseing:xxgrinning--00xx3:

ghee101
31st July 2010, 08:35
Sorry for the dual post. I don't have editing privilege.

sparky
31st July 2010, 08:50
Hey Sir Fred I am no black! Did you mean brown?:D

Thats why i hate the descrimination here in RP without knowing the ability and the background of ones personality...tsk tsk!

O well i never applied for a job here in my own country anyways, but incase i needed to, I aint gonna let them say that to me....i will have them eat my words and walk out with a head and chin up high!

And one more thing I aint gonna apply for a job with an opposite description to what they are looking for.

I would rather hear im no "meztizang hilaw" atleast im proud that everything in me is "NO FAKE, NO ARTIFICIAL!"

And i guess thats why foreign are madly absessed with Filipinas as they are naturally brown.....not black! :D

well the good news is that when your in the UK- if you want to work its illegal to discriminate on the colour of your skin.

-sillybilly-
31st July 2010, 09:34
well the good news is that when your in the UK- if you want to work its illegal to discriminate on the colour of your skin.

You are absolutely right Sparky!

aposhark
31st July 2010, 09:44
i am proud of my brown skin :xxgrinning--00xx3:

I wish my wife was as proud of her skin as you are rani :rolleyes:

You are lucky in that you are confident :xxgrinning--00xx3:

I get the feeling that most Asian ladies are not as confident with their brown skin, this is borne out by the sales of "skinwhite" and other such products.

Good for you :xxgrinning--00xx3: :Jump:

stevewool
31st July 2010, 09:46
funny how many so caled white people sit in the sun all day long to be the colour of our partners , seems we are quids in already:icon_lol::icon_lol:

aposhark
31st July 2010, 09:47
the skin we all have is just a outer layer , skin deep, its whats inside that counts ad when someone has found the best from each other well what else matters, love is blind, its whats in our hearts we are all chaseing:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Try telling that to a Filipina Steve :yikes: :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:
I am presuming most are like my wife.

Ping
31st July 2010, 11:06
No not all. I am brown . Not like a zoombie come back from the grave. Looks horrible.Yakss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ghee101
31st July 2010, 11:41
funny how many so caled white people sit in the sun all day long to be the colour of our partners , seems we are quids in already:icon_lol::icon_lol:

hahaha...I remember when my boyfriend and I went to a park in Amsterdam. I let him get all the sun and I got my back against the light and sometimes I am under the trees! I am tan enough and just getting my natural color back after more than a month. Let me find one picture ^_~

I was this dark when we met in person last June.

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m171/chubbynapinay/square_7-1.jpg

This is my regular color:

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m171/chubbynapinay/28813_1419740741164_1462032976_1069024_5788526_n-1.jpg

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m171/chubbynapinay/CIMG3756-1.jpg

stevewool
31st July 2010, 11:47
a very pretty lady may i say:)

ghee101
31st July 2010, 11:51
Now, that's what I get for having an account that I cant edit. Is this a glitch? I always get double post :doh

sars_notd_virus
31st July 2010, 11:53
I'm confident with my natural, radiant ,healthy brown skin:rolleyes::)
less maintenance,exfoliate and a proper lotion will do:xxgrinning--00xx3:

ghee101
31st July 2010, 11:56
a very pretty lady may i say:)

Thanks, Steve!

ghee101
31st July 2010, 11:59
I'm confident with my natural, radiant ,healthy brown skin:rolleyes::)
less maintenance,exfoliate and a proper lotion will do:xxgrinning--00xx3:

I wish I like lotion. I really feel so hot with them so I seldom use lotion at all. Only when I get serious dry spells :Cuckoo: eeerrr I mean dry skin ^_~

sars_notd_virus
31st July 2010, 12:06
Only when I get serious dry spells :Cuckoo: eeerrr I mean dry skin ^_~

u will definitely need lotion here in the UK dear coz the weather changes every 10minutes

triple5
31st July 2010, 12:09
u will definitely need lotion here in the UK dear coz the weather changes every 10minutes

Yep, it goes from bad to worse :icon_lol:

ghee101
31st July 2010, 12:11

Oh, yes...I heard hahaha! Thanks xXx

nigel
31st July 2010, 12:39
Is this how you look at white people? Just wondering...

Peace!I'm just trying to be witty! hehe

aposhark
31st July 2010, 13:10
No not all. I am brown . Not like a zoombie come back from the grave. Looks horrible.Yakss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can see from your avatar Ping that indeed you are brown like my wife :icon_lol:
My wife like you was wise enough to marry a man born in Liverpool :xxgrinning--00xx3:

ghee101
31st July 2010, 14:05
I'm just trying to be witty! hehe

I know, Nigel. Dont worry, I want to be a pig :Rasp:

Arthur Little
1st August 2010, 01:03
:) I find it amusing that so many Filipinas seem to go to great lengths to whiten their skin ... whereas - conversely - western women put all sorts of effort into having THEIRS tanned! :crazy:

aposhark
1st August 2010, 09:56
I saw adverts for "skinwhite" one day, flew home and saw adverts for tanning salons two days later.:yikes:

KeithD
1st August 2010, 10:08
10!!! Blimey.... it's very settled where you live!! :laugher:

KeithD
1st August 2010, 10:09
I saw adverts for "skinwhite" one day, flew home and saw adverts for tanning salons two days later.:yikes:

Easiest thing to do is move everyone in the UK to the Philippines, and everyone from the Philippines to the UK and let evolution take its course :D

stevewool
1st August 2010, 10:23
i am trying that :icon_lol::icon_lol:

sars_notd_virus
1st August 2010, 16:06
10!!! Blimey.... it's very settled where you live!! :laugher:

yes boss it is ..isnt it??:icon_lol::veryhappy:

James Hubbard
1st August 2010, 16:16
Easiest thing to do is move everyone in the UK to the Philippines, and everyone from the Philippines to the UK and let evolution take its course :D

I like to think all of us who have got fast track visas lately are all "doing our bit" to make this a reality ... one step at a time :icon_lol:

erwindv
9th August 2010, 16:02
Unfortunately, that "white" obsession of the Filipinos was brought about by nearly 400 years of colonization.

Simply put, "white" was the color of the rich, ruling class. It started with the Spanish rule, where rich,educated Filipinos had Spanish blood in them - making them whiter. This is what we call meztiza/meztizo. (I think a direct spanish translations of those words mean half-breed). Then came Americans and chinese which were also "rich".

Its just now in modern history do you see pure-malay blood Filipinos get rich. But look at our ruling class, the oligarchy if the Philippines. Most if not all are decedants of Spanish rulers. Chinese tycoons are next

(but you need to give credit to some of these guys like Henry Sy and Lucio Tan who amassed their fortunes thru hardwork. they were middleclass when they arrived in the Philippines)

erwindv
9th August 2010, 16:05
oh, and I never heard anybody not being hired because of skin-color, except for models/actress. just so happens the roles they were auditioning for required "white" pinays or mestizas.

Heck, there's even an invasion of Brazilian models in Manila now, just to get the perfect mestiza look.