PDA

View Full Version : Debit Cards (Nationwide) and overdrafts

johncar54
5th August 2010, 12:43
I wonder how many, like me thought that one cannot withdraw/make a payment on a DEBIT CARD for more than you have in that account.

Not so, but as Nationwide say, quote below, it's sort of a secret, which even the person I was in communication with in the bank did not know, but only later discovered when I pressed the point.-

So I now know that I cannot replace the CASH CASH (which Nationwide are withdrawing, as they say to 'improve their service for me') which my wife's family now has in Phil, to withdraw money, with a DEBIT CARD, unless I 'take the risk' that they could abuse it by drawing more than I have put on that account for them.

Quote from Nationwide
Dear Member,
Thank you for your message.

This is how is gets confusing, customer's may not know about a shadow overdraft, so once this does happen that is when they will know about them, for instance your shadow overdraft on your current account is £500.00, they have said they put this on to stop embarrassment in shops if you go overdrawn.

If you receive a new cash card you can always ask me and I can let you know if they have put one on for you.

I hope this clarifies the situation for you but please feel free to contact me if you have any further questions.

Regards
Wayne Turk
Visa Disputes
Payment Services

malditako
5th August 2010, 14:18
me and husband is using HSBC debit card...we know we can withdraw thousand pounds more than what we actually have in the bank..it shown everytime you check ur balance in the cash point machines...i just dont know if this is the same case when u check ur balance in the philippines...