PDA

View Full Version : For this is I and I is me :o)

Ayumbar
9th August 2010, 11:53
Hi all!

Just joined today, looks like a good active community here. I've read a few threads and it looks like these forums will be a good place for opinions in future.

I have joined this site because I may need some advice about the Phillipines in the near future. A few weeks ago by chance, I met a lady online who is from the Phillipines, but lives in USA. We have been talking quite a lot in those weeks and since then she has invited me to visit her home country. I have agreed to the idea, but do not have a clue about Asian countries in general.

I bring with me some experience of meeting people from the internet before from Europe and Brazil, so perhaps I hope I can give some people advice, if needed.

I could ramble on, so perhaps best I keep this short.

Ayum:xxgrinning--00xx3:

bornatbirth
9th August 2010, 11:57
ramble away, many already do :icon_lol:

btw welcome and it good to get advice but your own experience is more important, just get a ticket and enjoy the ride :xxgrinning--00xx3:

mikey73
9th August 2010, 12:17
hi ayum :Hellooo: welcome:Hellooo:

aromulus
9th August 2010, 12:24
I bring with me some experience of meeting people from the internet before from Europe and Brazil, so perhaps I hope I can give some people advice, if needed.

Yup, I am sure this will turn out to be useful....:doh

:icon_lol:

Welcome aboard..:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Ayumbar
9th August 2010, 12:35
Hey guys, thanks!

When I was talking to my friend yesterday, I was reading up about the Phillipines through the wiki site. Never realised it was once a Spanish colony. She tells me that English is like the second language in her country. I will try and learn some Tagalog for sure, but will check what resources are online to learn. I see livemocha do not offer free Tagalog courses :bigcry:

sars_notd_virus
9th August 2010, 12:39
hello:)

jam07
9th August 2010, 12:43
hello :Wave: welcome to our friendly site :)

KeithD
9th August 2010, 12:50
ramble away, many already do :icon_lol:
....mainly you though :D

bornatbirth
9th August 2010, 12:59

me included, i much perfer naked rambling :action-smiley-081:

Ayumbar
9th August 2010, 13:39
Hi sars_notd_virus and jam07, thanks for the welcome!

liane
9th August 2010, 15:17
Welcome here :Hellooo:

Ayumbar
9th August 2010, 15:31
Thank you liane :Wave:

aromulus
9th August 2010, 15:38

me included, i much perfer naked rambling :action-smiley-081:

stevie c
9th August 2010, 16:46
Hi Ayum welcome to the forum :Hellooo:

Ayumbar
9th August 2010, 17:19
Hi stevie c, thanks! :Wave:

Steve.r
9th August 2010, 18:07
Welcome :Hellooo:

Ayumbar
9th August 2010, 18:23
Hi Steve.r, a big thank you :Wave:

I am going to write something else in this post rather than create a whole new thread.....

Normally when I travel to meet someone for the first time, I book a hotel. This is partly out of common sense, but also for personal safety reasons. The lady who I will meet in Manila wants me to stay at her family house rather than goto hotel in Manila. In the past this has normally been a big "NO!" for me, when meeting someone for the 1st time from the internet.

Have any of you guys ever stayed at the lady's house on first visit/meeting?

As I write this, it seems like a crazy thing to do. For now, I have neither said yes or no to the idea, however I think I will be saying no.

bornatbirth
9th August 2010, 18:27
Normally when I travel to meet someone for the first time, I book a hotel.

:icon_lol: what a good idea.

anyway, thats up to you and its aways good to have a back up plan just in case you dont get a long.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

rani
9th August 2010, 18:28
welcome to the forum ayumbar :Hellooo:

Ayumbar
9th August 2010, 18:43
Hi Rani, thank you! :Wave:

I hope to help people properly in future. For now, I'm asking the questions and currently plotting my route to the Phillipines.

Ayumbar
9th August 2010, 18:46
:icon_lol: what a good idea.

anyway, thats up to you and its aways good to have a back up plan just in case you dont get a long.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Yes, I know I am a genius :D Whenever one goes on a trip to meet someone, plan B is usually a good option to have at hand, if things go not as planned.

Alan
9th August 2010, 18:49
Hi Ayum and welcome!

100% hotel!!

Al.:)

rani
9th August 2010, 18:50
its always better to stay in a hotel especially if its your first time in the country.. for me, its very "gentleman" :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Ayumbar
9th August 2010, 19:02
Hi Alan :Wave:

Thanks to both Alan and Rani for advice.

I too agree hotel is surely the option. I think part of her wanting me to come to her family home to stay is because there is a relative's wedding event happening around the time she travels back to Manila. I would like to be there with her for the event, but I think out of respect of the family (also), I can hardly imagine they would want some foreign stranger living in their house who (in reality) nobody knows or has met before.

stevie c
9th August 2010, 19:05
i agrree it has to be the hotel option:xxgrinning--00xx3:

KeithD
9th August 2010, 19:24
You don't want to be sharing the morning shower with her mother :grosyeux:

Ayumbar
9th August 2010, 20:06
haha too true!

Arthur Little
10th August 2010, 11:30
Good morning, and :welcomex: to the filipinouk forum ... pleased to see you've already made quite an impact since joining us yesterday. Keep it up ... and you'll learn a lot here about the Philippines and its culture in preparation for your visit. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Arthur Little
10th August 2010, 11:50
Have any of you guys ever stayed at the lady's house on first visit/meeting?

Ay(e) ... um ... YES, I :Kilt: did! At least, I stayed at my [then] girlfriend's relatives' house ... because they lived in fairly large, secluded - and well-protected - accommodation, deemed by her family to be of lesser risk for a foreigner [European or American] in Mindanao.

Ayumbar
10th August 2010, 22:04
Hi Arthur Little, thanks! :Wave:

Actually I made an error in my understanding. The friend who lives in USA, wants me to meet her in the USA first. Then assuming things go well on our initial meeting (most likely February), I can stay with her in Manila in the spring. To me, that sounds a bit more of a realistic plan :D