PDA

View Full Version : Making the wife feel at home , any advice ?

mistermatty
13th August 2010, 17:46
So the wife will be arriving in a few weeks time and i was wondering if any of you more experienced guys and girls had any tips on how to make the princess settle in more comfortably .

I already have the Rice Cooker and cupboards full of Asian spices and some diffrent uniforms .

Any thoughts and advice greatly received .

Cheers

shrek48
13th August 2010, 18:02
dont wear the uniforms in front of her straight away let her get used to the idea that you x dress first :icon_lol:

RickyR
13th August 2010, 18:14
I've mentioned this before on other threads, but what I think is a really good idea if you can do it, is take her for lunch/dinner at the Filipino Restaurant in Earl's Court about 2-3 weeks after she arrives.
It helped my missus's cravings and missing of home, a little bit of time to chat to fellow Filipino, eat and shop for Filipino food and relax. Also can setup up a BPI bank account and setup a registeration for Filipino TV if you want that in the house.
Would be a good day out, and lets your missus see the capital city!

stevewool
13th August 2010, 20:04
have a week off work and show her around be calm towards her and always be ready to listern to all she has to say , always smile and kiss her each and everyday too, :)

Dedworth
13th August 2010, 20:35
Get some tins of corned beef in :)

aposhark
13th August 2010, 21:15

Spam too :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Every wife is different for sure, but I've never met a woman or girl who doesn't like to go shopping :)
You can chat about everything at the same time.....

Steve.r
13th August 2010, 21:24
always smile and kiss her each and everyday too, :)

Wow, you get to do that every day steve :hubbahubba:

KeithD
13th August 2010, 21:33
Get some coconut & banana trees from B&Q :xxgrinning--00xx3:

davey
13th August 2010, 23:39
See if there are any other Filipno groups in your town/area. Don't know about where you live live, but there's a church choir and dance group around here and they meet up for chats, bbqs etc.
http://www.liverpoolpictorial.co.uk/bbq002.jpg

gecko_pikachu
14th August 2010, 00:25
Tips for how to get rid of homesickness

1. When you are missing your family member try to listen your favorite music.
2. Phone calls will help you because when you hear your parent's voices you feel everything will be okay.
3. If you are feeling very alone then talk to your friends about it because they understand you very much and you feel better.
4 Join any clubs, community and sports teams.
5. Put up some favorite photos of your family and friends.
6. If you are interested in any activities then it is a great way to meet new people.
7. Attend special lectures, meetings and exhibits that catch your fancy.
8. Go out with friends and enjoy a campus party this a great idea to give a relax to you mind
9. Having fun is an easy way to get rid of homesickness.
10. A course of natural homeopathic remedies for those who facing a homesickness problem.

Dedworth
14th August 2010, 00:28
Tips for how to get rid of homesickness

10. A course of natural homeopathic remedies for those who facing a homesickness problem.

Dunno about this one but the rest seem like sound advice

gecko_pikachu
14th August 2010, 00:29
Get some coconut & banana trees from B&Q :xxgrinning--00xx3:

:laugher:i suggest to buy an enormous green house instead and plant the entire Philippine trees and vegetables.. maybe breed a lot of different butterflies and dragonflies, too! :) and also, crickets, frogs, etc.!

-sillybilly-
14th August 2010, 05:51
Hello there!

Try to get few a days off or a week and stay with her so she wont be lonely and will get used to the place, shops and your kitchen!

Dont forget to get a few phone cards.
So when shes missing her family she could get access to them right away.

I know its going to be difficult but she'll be fine as long as you are there to support her and be with her all the time. And when you're inwork, ring her up as much as you can.

And make some plans on your day offs so she could look forward to it and get away from the boredom. And atleast she be excited to see different places in the UK. Its only for the meantime but shes got a job im sure she will adjust soon.

Goodluck mate!

stevewool
14th August 2010, 09:12
Wow, you get to do that every day steve :hubbahubba:

yep but start to pratice by kissing her picture or puckering your lips against a mirror:xxgrinning--00xx3:

mistermatty
14th August 2010, 09:38

Well i have a cupboard of asian spices already and i even bought some tinned mackerals etc etc .

Just need to find a good soy sauce in the asian store .

malditako
14th August 2010, 09:44
Spam too :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Every wife is different for sure, but I've never met a woman or girl who doesn't like to go shopping :)
You can chat about everything at the same time.....

:xxgrinning--00xx3: so true to me....shopping :)

Pete/London
14th August 2010, 11:07
A really good thing to do but it means investing money,if your wife`s family dont have a computer buy them one and get it set up for skype or win messg. Set your own up as well and bobs your uncle.Cuts down the homesickness and everyone is happy.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

mistermatty
14th August 2010, 11:45
A really good thing to do but it means investing money,if your wife`s family dont have a computer buy them one and get it set up for skype or win messg. Set your own up as well and bobs your uncle.Cuts down the homesickness and everyone is happy.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Well the wife lives in the jungle so i guess that wont too well , reckon i will get a heap Lebra calling credit now that should work :)

Pete/London
14th August 2010, 14:59
Well the wife lives in the jungle so i guess that wont too well , reckon i will get a heap Lebra calling credit now that should work :)

:icon_lol:would be difficult then, send her out hunting for food:)

mistermatty
14th August 2010, 16:04

plenty of rabbits and deer where i live , just imagine " deer adobo " :icon_lol:

gecko_pikachu
14th August 2010, 16:05

bwahaha! where are all the food to hunt?
I hope she'll feel at home when she cooks pinoy food.
Does she know how to cook a bit of pinoy food?
If she does, then you can both go to Asian store and let her do her own shopping.
A lot of Asian ingredients or tins that don't taste as nice as Philippine products.
So, try to find any Pinoy or Chinese shop.

Talk Home is one of the options apart from other international phonecards she can use to phone up back home to talk to her family, every week if she wants to.
I normally use the said phonecard to talk at home.

She can always go online to ease the boredomness.
Talk to other Pinoys in UK and abroad.
Meeting new friends where you live.
Do a bit of shopping.
Introduce her to charity shops or carboot sales.
She'll be very delighted with that :icon_lol:

Dedworth
14th August 2010, 17:19
Buy hot dogs, marshmallows & cocktail sticks

gecko_pikachu
14th August 2010, 19:12
I know what, order lechong baboy.. :)

scott&ligaya
14th August 2010, 19:44
buy a bucket and a long handled plastic pot.. LOL the ladies know what I mean hehehehehe install a bidet in your bathroom and she will love you for ever

kalabasa
15th August 2010, 09:37
just try to listen her moaning :yikes::D and of course try to show the shops that sell what she need when she wants to cook her favourite filipino dishes :)

stem298
15th August 2010, 16:55
just be yourself the man that she know and love and everything will be fine ;)

KeithD
15th August 2010, 16:59
.... install a bidet in your bathroom and she will love you for ever
Surely if you love each other then you clean each other :)

rani
15th August 2010, 17:09
treat her like a queen :yesmaster::ironing::hoovering::laundry::xxgrinning--00xx3:

somebody
15th August 2010, 21:34
On the days off try and do half days or just pop out for a little while local shop or the petrol station etc. SO she gets used to being in this place on her own.

Ensure she knows her way to the nearest shop and back.

Ensure she can contact you or someone you can rely on to assit her if she has a little panic or issue. Could be just changing a fuse or light bulb or the central heating makes a funny noise. Not many Pinays or pinoys experts on central heating.
If your Next door neighbours or nearby friends are about however old or young. Pinays dont have the same hang ups with age. My Wife has friends of all backgrounds, races and ages. From 10 year old kids to 90 year olds!!

But its the summer i hear you say well Heating maybe required if we have a coldish spell Even in the summer.

Communication back home is important. Also make sure she has a clock she can check telling her what the time is in phill. Even the family may not be so happy if called up at 4am in the morning!!

Many Phills with facebook etc can spend hours online so make sure you have a package which can allow her to download/upload pictures videos etc..

Buy a cheap digtal camera so she can take pictures and document her new home and area. Again will be up on Facebook etc..

Get her sorted with a travel pass as soon as you can show her round and the bus route to the nearest shopping town. If there are Pinays in town she will come accross them. But make sure she is aware not all phills will want to stop and chat while others she may want to take it easy....

GET HER ON HERE

pennybarry
16th August 2010, 06:46
Tour her around the area and countryside until she feels at home.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Show her the bus stop and train station! Let her become more independent to go alone sometimes.

KeithD
16th August 2010, 10:03
Show her the bus stop and train station!
Is this where your hubby takes you for a good time? :omg: :icon_lol:

pennybarry
16th August 2010, 17:28
Is this where your hubby takes you for a good time? :omg: :icon_lol:
No boss. He said he's not an easy boy.:D:icon_lol::laugher:

badrock
16th August 2010, 23:10
take her shopping first then kill a pig in the back garden

KeithD
16th August 2010, 23:43
take her shopping first then kill a pig in the back garden

That's a bit harsh on the local bobby :cwm24: