PDA

View Full Version : Are there any born and bred Manila girls here?

Amaw2008
14th September 2010, 10:12
I have a question for someone who knows Manila well. On youtube you can watch "Filipina Dream Girls" in several parts. At the end of part 6 at 7.26 www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_wYTFdpSl08&feature=related there is a view of a coastal road. Is that the famous Roxas Boulevard?

raynaputi
14th September 2010, 10:37
No it's not the Roxas Blvd. It's the Manila-Cavite Expressway..it's after Baclaran on the way to Cavite..

Amaw2008
14th September 2010, 17:02
Thanks raynaputi. We're hoping to see Manila next year; all I've seen of the Philippines so far is Cebu, Bohol and near Cagayan on Mindanao. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

raynaputi
14th September 2010, 17:33
And I've never been to those places you've said! Hehe..well if you like the hustle and bustle of the city, i'm sure you'd like Manila. :D

Englishman2010
14th September 2010, 21:40
No it's not the Roxas Blvd. It's the Manila-Cavite Expressway..it's after Baclaran on the way to Cavite..

Not sure I'd call it an expressway, I travelled that road frequently a few weeks ago, and the road that goes through Bacoor to Imus, they were more like car parks this time. The traffic In Metro Manila seems to have got 10 X worse since my visits in Jan and April

Languish
2nd October 2010, 14:08
That film looks bloody awful.

Amaw2008
3rd November 2010, 19:20
The film's not too bad Languish, a bit corny in parts but quite entertaining. I've just noticed something I hadn't seen before; the actress talking to Tim played by David Thewlis is trying not to laugh. If you look from 0.06 to 0.39, you will see her clearly smiling at 0.37 which makes him smile as well.:icon_lol:

Dedworth
3rd November 2010, 19:23
That film looks bloody awful.

I thought it was a good laugh :icon_lol:

New Shoes
16th November 2010, 13:14
I'd say it was a bit of a cult film.....
Must admit I've watched iot a couple of times and found it to be enteraining.
I was first shown it by my Filipina girlfriend who had it on VHS tape

subseastu
16th November 2010, 13:56
Don't if this is interesting or not but I had an ex girlfriend who appeared as a dancer in the film Goodbye America. She even claims the director thought she had a future if she went to the U.S and got her nose and susu done!! I've seen the film and to be honest if she had a future in films I'm a monkeys uncle! Mind you I'm not sure what types of films he was talking about:do_it:

Tawi2
18th November 2010, 01:14
Filipina dream girls is cult viewing,and have to admit I have met caricatures of each of the guys featured in that movie here in pinas at one time or another,very entertaining,I remember the marriage-clubs when you visited an office and flicked through a brochure to choose your woman,thankfully Tinternernet has changed all of that.

grahamw48
18th November 2010, 01:37
I love that movie...hilarious ! :icon_lol:

AND it was made just before my first trip to the Philippines to meet my 'mail order bride' (who I didn't actually marry).

The club scene was filmed in a girlie bar on M.H.del Pilar in Ermita ...'Mistys' I think, that a friend of mine used to manage along with a couple of other similar bars.

I think it was a very good representation of mail order bride agencies and their customers at that (pre-internet) time. :)

I married this one:

Tawi2
18th November 2010, 02:20
Graham,I was based in Honkers and was an impressionable teenager when I first visited Pinas,I asked the taxi driver who picked me up when I flew in to take me to a "Nice hotel" he must have had a perverse sense of humour as he took me to a brothel in Del Pilar street,I couldnt understand why the receptionist asked how many hours did I want the room for:icon_lol:This was in the days before mayor Lim shut the place down,I dumped my bags and wandered along the street stumbling across a fabled place called "Rosies Diner":yikes:Wall-to-wall ladies :icon_lol: Happy days back then:laugher:

grahamw48
18th November 2010, 10:52
lol!

That is so funny, because that is EXACTLY what happened to me too ! :icon_lol:

In Rosie's Diner I was looking over my shoulder to see who all these pretty girls were winking at. ...surely couldn't be ME. :laugher:

I had no idea about Ermita....but soon took to the place, and made some good (expat) friends there. :)

Tawi2
19th December 2010, 21:28
I had no idea about Ermita
Me neither at the time but I cottoned-on PDQ :icon_lol: I remember staying in one "Hotel" where the only window in my room looked out onto a dancefloor/stage,needless to say you couldnt sleep anytime before 4-5am as disco lights,music,and the constant opening/closing of doors all along the corridor bore testament to.........:do_it::do_it:
The brownouts back then were daily,the women were plentiful,i was getting 36 pesos to my pound,but I never once thought I would still be linked to the place.:Erm::NoNo:

grahamw48
19th December 2010, 23:21
Wouldn't have bothered me.

I didn't go to bed til 4 or 5am. :icon_lol:

One positive thing I will say about my times in the Phils; I can now sleep ANYWHERE and through any kind of bedlam , whether it be 120db music, car horns blaring, 1,000 Fighting Cocks crowing simultaneously, or the same number of barking dogs. :rolleyes: