PDA

View Full Version : Transferrring money quickly

lordna
18th September 2010, 18:32
How do you folks transfer money from the UK to the philippines quickly and cheaply.

Up till now i have been using a Caxton FX card, where i load money into the account here and relatives get ther money from an ATM over there almost instantly. The problem is the bank has started adding a 200 peso additional charge for foreign cards at the ATM for each transaction. With the 2.5% charge from Caxton as well I wondered if there is a cheaper way thats still quick.

Any suggestions?

stevewool
18th September 2010, 18:34
western union is fast but not cheap

estherboaz
18th September 2010, 20:11
I transfer via PNB or BPI express online.

alanp
18th September 2010, 21:07
i use cmt money transfer they charge £5 for up to £3000

Dedworth
19th September 2010, 10:59
How do you folks transfer money from the UK to the philippines quickly and cheaply.

Up till now i have been using a Caxton FX card, where i load money into the account here and relatives get ther money from an ATM over there almost instantly. The problem is the bank has started adding a 200 peso additional charge for foreign cards at the ATM for each transaction. With the 2.5% charge from Caxton as well I wondered if there is a cheaper way thats still quick.

Any suggestions?

Is that 200 peso charge specific to that bank or is it happening with other banks. My wife is going over soon and I was thinking about getting a Caxton card following serious problems last year where she was unable to get cash using a Nationwide Flexaccount card ( and I spent countless time on the phone to Nationwide) and now with their new charges

mechanic5_1
19th September 2010, 13:26
my hubby use moneygram everytime he sent me money here in phil.i think the charges is a lil bit cheaper than WU.its so quick to claim here they have a lots of agents.

keithAngel
19th September 2010, 19:48
Is that 200 peso charge specific to that bank or is it happening with other banks. My wife is going over soon and I was thinking about getting a Caxton card following serious problems last year where she was unable to get cash using a Nationwide Flexaccount card ( and I spent countless time on the phone to Nationwide) and now with their new charges

Try hsbc and bpi consensus on a cebu forum suggests they are not yet charging metro was back in may I will give live updates within the week but for me the exchange caxton gives is another plus ive got all 3 cards and i will load dollars when the exchange rates look favourable two years ago I scored by doing that befor the £ crashed:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Dedworth
20th September 2010, 09:03
Thanks for that Keith I look forward to the updates

lordna
20th September 2010, 13:11
BPI is the bank in Tacloban that have just started charging 200 pesos.

Bluebirdjones
21st September 2010, 09:01
It might be worthwhile you getting up to London sometime & opening an account at PNB.

Then you've got 3 options to transfer
1. Normal phone-up & speak to operator service, so sending any amount to any account in the Philippines.
(PNB to PNB usually almost instantly ...... others normally within 12hrs)

2. An on-line banking service, so you can do everything yourself

3. Apply for and get a Global Filipino card.
(You deposit money on it here...... send the card to the missus out there.... and she can draw up to the amount on it)

PNB is a bank, unlike the others...... so covered in this country by the Banking Compensation scheme, and their rates & charges are v v competitive.

malditako
21st September 2010, 10:48
we using hsbc to hsbc account...cost 20 pounds to send whatever amount and only takes 1 day :)

malditako
21st September 2010, 10:51
BPI is the bank in Tacloban that have just started charging 200 pesos.

bpi always a rip off with charges...i remember when one time i used metrobank atm to their machines it charged me 200 pesos for one transaction...cant believe they take metrobank as international transaction...

Bluebirdjones
21st September 2010, 13:36
we using hsbc to hsbc account...cost 20 pounds to send whatever amount and only takes 1 day :)

It sounds like HSBC is the "rip-off" !

PNB is £6 for up to £1000
£7 for £1001 - £2000
£12 for £2001 - £5000

malditako
21st September 2010, 17:41
It sounds like HSBC is the "rip-off" !

PNB is £6 for up to £1000
£7 for £1001 - £2000
£12 for £2001 - £5000

what about 30 thousand and up? is it still the same charges?

Bluebirdjones
22nd September 2010, 11:04
what about 30 thousand and up? is it still the same charges?

In the past (and I assume in the future) I've had them waived.
The larger the amount, the more interested and "commercial" they become.

BBJ

johncar54
22nd September 2010, 11:57
Even though Nationwide have, or are in the process of, making a charge for withdrawals in RP, I still think they offer good value.

It still has to be confirmed that ATMs with Visa symbol in RP will not start making a charge too.

With the abolition of the Cash Card (incidentally in my exchanges with them they said no one else had written to say they did not approve the changes) I have decided to use a Debit Card, which I will sent to RP, for transferring/drawing cash at ATMs in RP.

The Cash card previously worked well, with no charges at either end and with the almost bank rate applied to the exchange rates.

I will post how the debit card works out.

Dedworth
22nd September 2010, 12:57
With the abolition of the Cash Card (incidentally in my exchanges with them they said no one else had written to say they did not approve the changes)

And they expect you to believe them :icon_lol:

johncar54
22nd September 2010, 13:05
Well Dedworth, with the response I got here, when I suggested that if enough people wrote in and complained about the proposed changes (mainly that was, what's the point they won't take any notice) I was not surprised at Nationwide's comment.

johncar54
22nd September 2010, 13:05
Well Dedworth, with the response I got here, when I suggested that if enough people wrote in and complained about the proposed changes (mainly that was, what's the point they won't take any notice) I was not surprised at Nationwide's comment.

mikey73
22nd September 2010, 13:09
i used my debit card while i was just over in the philippines and i was charged (it come up on the screen saying the charge amount and asking if i wanted to continue). i wasnt charged at every ATM. it was different at every ATM i used. sometimes it was free other times i was informed of a charge (150 - 200 pesos). even though it was the same bank i was using. i am with the clydesdale bank here in scotland.

Dedworth
22nd September 2010, 13:10

I think they were telling you porkies John :laugher:

Nationwide chief executive shuts down email address

The Nationwide Building Society chief executive has come under fire for changing his email address following protests about alterations to the society's FlexAccount.

Until recently, all members could contact Graham Beale, chief executive of the society, directly through his email address graham.beale@nationwide.co.uk.

But anyone now trying to contact him using that address receives an immediate email from Nationwide's online security system saying: "It has not been possible to deliver your message to graham.beale@nationwide.co.uk as this account has been closed. If your inquiry is customer service related, please re-send your message to customer.services@nationwide.co.uk. Alternatively if you want to contact our chief executive, please re-send your email to CEO@nationwide.co.uk."

Full story here

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2010/sep/14/nationwide-chief-executive-email-address

johncar54
22nd September 2010, 16:40
And guess who has over the past couple of years been advertising the email address of Graham Beale ? (I of course have now found that I shot myself in the foot as I cannot send emails to him).

The the reply I got was:-

Sent: Monday, September 06, 2010 2:12 PM
To: <johncar61............
Subject: MessageLabs Content Control Service

> It has not been possible to deliver your message to : graham.beale@nationwide.co.uk at this time
> If your enquiry is product or related to customer service please re-send your message to customer.services@nationwide.co.uk.

I note Dedworth that the CEO address you show also goes to (Mindless) minions and not the CEO.

This is my latest email to the 'minion' whom I dealt with in lieu of the CEO:_

Further to our recent exchanges.

It would seem that the impression you gave me, that almost no one has contacted Nationwide about the changes in the flex account conditions, may not have been 'completely accurate.'

I must admit I was surprised when you told me that, and I am even more surprised now that I have been directed to the newspaper article !

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2010...-email-address

John Car,
disappointed customer,
formerly a 'long standing, valuable customer.'

Dedworth
22nd September 2010, 17:17
And guess who has over the past couple of years been advertising the email address of Graham Beale ? (I of course have now found that I shot myself in the foot as I cannot send emails to him).

The the reply I got was:-

Sent: Monday, September 06, 2010 2:12 PM
To: <johncar61............
Subject: MessageLabs Content Control Service

> It has not been possible to deliver your message to : graham.beale@nationwide.co.uk at this time
> If your enquiry is product or related to customer service please re-send your message to customer.services@nationwide.co.uk.

I note Dedworth that the CEO address you show also goes to (Mindless) minions and not the CEO.

This is my latest email to the 'minion' whom I dealt with in lieu of the CEO:_

Further to our recent exchanges.

It would seem that the impression you gave me, that almost no one has contacted Nationwide about the changes in the flex account conditions, may not have been 'completely accurate.'

I must admit I was surprised when you told me that, and I am even more surprised now that I have been directed to the newspaper article !

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2010...-email-address

John Car,
disappointed customer,
formerly a 'long standing, valuable customer.'

Nice one - it would be good if 100's of irate customers pitched up at the AGM