PDA

View Full Version : British Citizenship Applicaiton

georyz
27th September 2010, 12:11
hi,

we plan to apply my wife's citizenship next month as she's gonna be here 3 yrs and she already got her ILR last year. we are currently preparing for the documents and here's what we got:

1. Form AN
2. passports (mine and hers)
3. marriage contract
4. Life in the UK
5. Referee (still to ask)
6. payment (ready)

my questions are the ff:

do we need to submit bank statements? if so, what yr and how many months

she is not working and dont claim anything, do we have to get any paper from HMRC on it?

I do get pension credit, do i have to submit proof with her application? (as it states about proof of self-sufficient thing on the application)

Sorry if my questions sounds ignorant, we just want to make sure we got everything ok as it cost too much to waste if we lack something and be denied.

thank you very much.

Terpe
27th September 2010, 13:08
georyz
Unless things have changed, there is no requirement for any financials.
Important docs you have already.
The proof of identity should be the same document used at Life In UK Test, usually the passport. This also provides evidence of legal residence and no immigration restriction. (ILR)
I would suggest you just read through the form to be sure you comply with other details (especially regarding the two referee's)

Any specifics just ask away. Should be just a formality. When she gets confirmation letter it will have details of the Citizenship ceremony.

joebloggs
27th September 2010, 13:11
there are advantages of using the NCS, cost around £50-60.
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/britishcitizenship/applying/checkingservice/checkingservicelocations/

http://www.newcastle.gov.uk/core.nsf/a/nationality

Terpe
27th September 2010, 13:17
there are advantages of using the NCS, cost around £50-60

Yes yes. I remember now, we did that. Great point joebloggs!
As I recall, the lady that did that with us spent quite some time explaining everything.
Highly recommended and well worth the money.

georyz
27th September 2010, 13:46
thank you terpe and joe for ur inputs., it helps a lot...
now we can focus in looking for referee, we tried to ask the priest but he refuse (he said he doesnt know us.. he only see us before in his daily masses but not lately, pity he doesnt see us on sunday masses :NoNo: ) we got a neighbor who is british but not a professional so that's one but the prof side its our problem :(

Terpe
27th September 2010, 14:28
georyz
There's a real long list of all those eligible to act as referee's.
I take a quick look and see if I can locate it again. It's an official list.
I believe you need two referee's. One can be any nationality but must be a professional, the other must be British Passport holder and either a professional or over 25yrs of age.
Maybe the biggest problem will be finding some to declare they have personally known your wife for more than 3 years. Especially as she is only just reaching 3 years residence. Anyway. I'm sure you manage something when you see the listing of possibles.
I'll take a look as soon as I can. But maybe if you have some time just check.

Terpe
27th September 2010, 14:55
Hi georyz,
Found info at
www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Passports/Applicationinformation/DG_174151

Here is the detail :-
Your countersignatory should be a professional person or a person of good standing in the community.
The list that follows gives examples of the type of person that would be suitable.
If you are not sure who to ask you can call the IPS Passport Adviceline on 0300 222 0000.

•accountant
•airline pilot
•articled clerk of a limited company
•assurance agent of recognised company
•bank/building society official
•barrister
•chairman/director of limited company
•chiropodist
•commissioner of oaths
•councillor (local or county)
•civil servant (permanent), but not someone who works for IPS
•dentist
•director/manager of a VAT-registered charity
•director/manager/personnel officer of a VAT-registered company
•engineer (with professional qualifications)
•financial services intermediary (eg a stockbroker or insurance broker)
•fire service official
•funeral director
•insurance agent (full time) of a recognised company
•journalist
•Justice of the Peace
•legal secretary (fellow or associate member of the Institute of Legal Secretaries and PAs)
•licensee of public house
•local government officer
•manager/personnel officer (of a limited company)
•member, associate or fellow of a professional body
•Member of Parliament
•Merchant Navy officer
•minister of a recognised religion (including Christian Science)
•nurse (RGN and RMN)
•officer of the armed services (active or retired)
•optician
•paralegal (certified paralegal, qualified paralegal or associate member of the Institute of Paralegals)
•person with honours (an OBE or MBE, for example)
•pharmacist
•photographer (professional)
•police officer
•Post Office official
•president/secretary of a recognised organisation
•Salvation Army officer
•social worker
•solicitor
•surveyor
•teacher, lecturer
•trade union officer
•travel agent (qualified)
•valuer or auctioneer (fellows and associate members of the incorporated society)
•Warrant Officers and Chief Petty Officer

Happy searching

georyz
27th September 2010, 14:59
thanks again terpe... yes i got the list its just that its really tough to get someone to refer her as she's not that outgoing. hopefully we can get a professional referee for her.
maybe anyone in the forum can help.

Terpe
27th September 2010, 17:44
georyz,
Better wait for joebloggs to come online. He has a real depth of experience for tricky issues on these topics.
Question for joebloggs? Would it be acceptable for a professional person in the Phils to
act as referee?? (just brainstorming here!)

joebloggs
27th September 2010, 18:34
not sure about someone who is not in the UK, as UKBA might have problems contacting the person.

rusty
27th September 2010, 19:02
The above list is for passport applications.

Athough the list will be similar, the guidence notes for the application says:-

SECTION 5: REFEREES AND IDENTITY

Your application must be endorsed by two referees and a recent passport size photograph
stapled or clipped into the space provided. The photograph must show the whole of the
front of your face in reasonable light. It should not show your face wholly or partly
concealed by your hair (beards, sideburns and moustaches excepted) or by a scarf or
traditional dress. It should not show you wearing dark glasses or a hat, hood, cap or scarf.
Each referee should have known you personally for at least 3 years.

One referee should be a person of any nationality who has professional standing, such as a
doctor, a minister of religion, civil servant or a member of a professional body, e.g.
accountant or solicitor (but not representing you with this application). A list of acceptable
professional persons can be found on our website.

The other referee must be the holder of a British citizen passport and either a professional
person or over the age of 25.

Each referee should be:

• not related to you
• not related to the other referee
• not your solicitor or agent representing you with this application
• not employed by the Home Office

We will not accept a referee who has been convicted of an imprisonable offence during the
last 10 years and the sentence has not become spent under the Rehabilitation of Offenders
Act 1974 – see page 20.

If you are living abroad and do not know a British citizen who is qualified to act as one of
your referees, a Commonwealth citizen or citizen of the country in which you are residing
may complete and sign the form, provided he/she has professional standing in that country,
has known you for three years and the Consul considers his/her signature to be acceptable.
Checks may be carried out to ensure that the referees do not have unspent convictions (see
page 20) and are qualified to act for you and that their signatures are genuine. It is a
criminal offence to provide false information knowingly or recklessly punishable with up to
3 months imprisonment or by a fine not exceeding £5,000 or both under section 46(1) of
the British Nationality Act 1981.

Once you have two referees and they have completed Section 5 you should recheck the
information you have provided and go to Section 6.

Terpe
27th September 2010, 20:34
Hi rusty,
So maybe someone in the Phils could act as referee??
georyz,
Might be worth asking advice from your local checking service about this possibility if you are really stuck.

As joebloggs hinted tread careful. As an ex-civil servant (in a previous life) I did get contacted a suprising amount of times when I was countersignatury. They do ask a lot of pertinent questions.
It's a lot of non-refundable money to take a chance on.

malditako
28th September 2010, 12:04
what if one of the referee is your sister in laws fiancee is that acceptable?...just wondering

Terpe
28th September 2010, 12:51
That's OK. He is not related.
Anyway who would know he is the finacee of your sis-in-law?
Just be sure he is not related to your 2nd referee.
As I mentioned, checks are done. Just don't know how many.

sars_notd_virus
28th September 2010, 13:54
nice links..thanks rusty and terpe:xxgrinning--00xx3:

scottishbride
28th September 2010, 20:58
Is it possible to use a friend or husband's friends?