PDA

View Full Version : National Insurance

sars_notd_virus
28th September 2010, 14:02
When is the best time to apply for National Insurance if I am on a Fiance or Spouse visa,...?

Terpe
28th September 2010, 14:32
sars_notd_virus
Fiancee Visa does not allow recourse to public funds. (so no benefits) also you are not allowed to work unless you have exceptional Home Office permission in writing.

You can apply for a National Insurance number when you have the right to work in UK
(or if making a claim for benefits or tax credits)
If you are allowed to work then claim as soon as you can. In principle you are legally allowed to work before you have been allocated your NINO.

You will be requested to attend an interview at your local DWP office. (Department for Work and Pensions)
Contact Jobcentre first to arrange your application and interview.
Your NINO is really important in concerning your tax and NI contributions.

Welcome to the world of deductions!

Arthur Little
28th September 2010, 16:45
Since you're already married, Mari, there's nothing to hinder you applying now :NoNo: ... unless, of course, you are still awaiting FLR.

sars_notd_virus
28th September 2010, 16:53
Thanks Terpe very helpful:xxgrinning--00xx3:
I'll tell my friend about this as she is on fiance visa ,getting married next month and pregnant and asked me if NI is required to get straight away,told her to settle her FLR first before applying NI.

sars_notd_virus
28th September 2010, 17:04
Since you're already married, Mari, there's nothing to hinder you applying now :NoNo: ... unless, of course, you are still awaiting FLR.

Thank you sir Art, yes I'm planning to get an appointment with the Jobcenter soon,...I didnt rush on it as the boss (hubby) said i need to enjoy working with him first before working with somebody else:icon_lol:
Anyway,posted this thread as a friend of mine(whos is on a fiance visa) said that NI needs to be done straight away,told her to sort FLR first

mistermatty
29th September 2010, 06:16
Day after the princess arrived in UK on a spouse visa , i foned Jobcenter Plus and asked for the application form for NI number , withing 2 weeks she had her letter with a NI number and a plastic card to follow in near futuure , princess did NOT need a interview !!

Terpe
29th September 2010, 07:18
Day after the princess arrived in UK on a spouse visa , i foned Jobcenter Plus and asked for the application form for NI number , withing 2 weeks she had her letter with a NI number and a plastic card to follow in near futuure , princess did NOT need a interview !!

Yes. Not everyone needs to attend an interview.
I think (not really sure) it's random depending upon immigration/work status and notes.
My wife needed to have one.
Funny thing, she also needed to attend an interview when she applied for British Passport!!

Ironically, they call the NINO interview proof of identity... despite the NINO not being acceptable as proof of identity!!