PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Music That Makes You think Of Somewhere

forester
3rd October 2010, 17:33
I'm sure we all have music that reminds us or makes us think of places that we would like to be.

What are yours?

Here a couple of mine:

Summer in Siam - Pogues

The Whole Wide World - Wreckless Eric, especially if we change the line "under the Carribean sun to "under the Philippine sun"!

les_taxi
3rd October 2010, 17:37
I'm a big music fan and love the american mushy music you here everywhere you go in the philippines,no punk rock there:)

joebloggs
3rd October 2010, 17:44
only song that reminds me of the browned eyed girls in the phils :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-126K1EfroA

rani
3rd October 2010, 17:46
i have lots of favorite music but cant remember all the titles as i felt like the music doesn't like me at all :NoNo:

since the time i've known that i cant sing well.... i also stop memorizing song lyrics :doh

what a pity :bigcry:

forester
3rd October 2010, 17:51
lestaxi,
My problem is I've never been to the Philippines!, i'm sure I could cope with mushy american music if I was , just that i like those couple of songs.

Showing my mispent youth.

forester
3rd October 2010, 17:52
joebloggs Brilliant song, he is good and I love the sentiment.

joebloggs
3rd October 2010, 17:56
i have lots of favorite music but cant remember all the titles as i felt like the music doesn't like me at all :NoNo:

since the time i've known that i cant sing well.... i also stop memorizing song lyrics :doh

what a pity :bigcry:

you can't be worse than my misses :cwm3:

all i ever heard on the radio in the phils was 'westlife'
even took my misses to see them in the UK :xxparty-smiley-004:

Sim11UK
3rd October 2010, 18:02
'westlife'
even took my misses to see them in the UK :xxparty-smiley-004:

Poor you...I'd rather go to the dentist :NoNo:

forester
3rd October 2010, 18:02
rani, you have never heard me sing, which is probably a good thing. the only time I sing is when I am in the car going somewhere and a cd is on, nobdy can hear me apart from Tina and she thinks I'm wonderful, but as a labrador I don't know if she counts!

I do get some strange looks though....

joebloggs
3rd October 2010, 18:12
Poor you...I'd rather go to the dentist :NoNo:

you dont know my dentist sim :cwm24::cwm3:

i was listening to david gray at the time on me mp3 player :D

rani
3rd October 2010, 18:13
:laugher::laugher::laugher:
don't sing aloud or she'll think you're gone :crazy:

forester
3rd October 2010, 18:15
I seemed to have failed in my quest to elicit songs that remind people of or conjure up images of places.

Should we go for most disliked songs/artists, personal preference and choice being respected

Sim11UK
3rd October 2010, 18:16
i was listening to david gray at the time on me mp3 player :D

:icon_lol: Well I wouldn't blame you for that :xxgrinning--00xx3:

forester
3rd October 2010, 18:18
rani, sadly it is aloud and I thought her whimpers were of delight!

Terpe
3rd October 2010, 18:53
I am England's biggest fan of Martin Nievera:waver:
I went to one of his concerts at Wembly Arena ( I was already a big fan)
WOW!:REDancedancer08:.
When you hear him live and hear the quality of his voice it's just unbelievable:xxgrinning--00xx3:
I have every album he ever made.
Just never get bored of him.
Right now I am trying to learn his version of Ikaw. For karaoke.
OMG what a singer imho

rani
3rd October 2010, 18:57
wow! you're practicing IKAW?
that's great terpe!
wanna hear you singing that song :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Jamesey
3rd October 2010, 19:03
I seemed to have failed in my quest to elicit songs that remind people of or conjure up images of places.

I'll get this thread back on track!

I've got loads, some of which were done on purpose (eg. I put together some "West Coast" tunes on a CD for a trip around California), but most just happened spontaneously.

"Looking for Love" by Karen Ramirez reminds me of Boracay. We walked past a wedding on the beach and they were playing that song. 3 years later, one of the guys I was with was getting married on the same beach and playing the same song. Awesome!

That Madonna tune where she sampled Abba reminds me of Bermuda.

There's a tune with french verses and a chorus in english, but I can't remember what it's called! Anyway, it reminds me of late nights out partying in Makati!

Ricky Martin's "La Vida Loco" reminds me of the Yucutan in Mexico. They were playing this everywhere when we were there on holiday.

forester
3rd October 2010, 19:08
Jamesey, You've done the tour and got the T-shirt to prove it!

It is amazing how some songs can trigger memories, good and bad and just hearing them brings it all back.

Terpe
3rd October 2010, 19:24
wow! you're practicing IKAW?
that's great terpe!
wanna hear you singing that song :xxgrinning--00xx3:
Maybe one day you will if you accept my invitation:)
I also sing Kailnagan Kita. That's a nice song also.

Getting back on track (thank you Jamesey)
My number 1 very emotive song is 'Sake Yo' by Ikuzo Yoshi. This reminds me of my life before I met my asawa (in Japan).
I used to sing this very often. It has a very deep meaning for me (little bit dark)
Then on a lighter mood, Ikaw (Martin Nievera version) just because of my asawa.

stevewool
3rd October 2010, 19:35
may i hijack this simon , i have been racking my brain for a nice song / music for emma to walk into the room to on our wedding its down to two for me but any other advice and help needed but remember its got to be short also, my two are, better, by tom baxter and i forgot the other , it will come to me :icon_lol::icon_lol:

rani
3rd October 2010, 19:40
i really hope to meet you all one day :xxgrinning--00xx3:

ok.. getting back on track...

i remember puerto azul resort in cavite, philippines whenever i heard of the song "nothings gonna change my love for you... was with my first love then:)

"gold" during college days with my flippsip friends at jose rizal university

more to come......

forester
3rd October 2010, 19:42
no problem steve, where are you two getting married?

stevewool
3rd October 2010, 19:46
derby register office oct 23rd 12 noon so if you are around then followed at mai sum for food

stevewool
3rd October 2010, 19:47
how are you finding the site simon

forester
3rd October 2010, 19:53
Loving it steve!

The filipnos in the care home were highly impressed with my improving knowledge

forester
3rd October 2010, 19:54
Steve I know I sadly cannot make the 23rd, but I shall think of the two of you.

stevewool
3rd October 2010, 19:59
they are fantastic people simon and if you do get the chance to go there for what ever reason then go, i loved the west and europe but being with emma i have the best guide to the east and that is where one day we will make our home, thanks for the kind words tooo:xxgrinning--00xx3:

forester
3rd October 2010, 20:06
I think that you are BOTH very lucky to have each other.

I'm still trying to think of some music, I've got too cheesy possibly, Your My First, Last, Everything" by Barry White, what about some traditional filipino?

raynaputi
4th October 2010, 01:09
may i hijack this simon , i have been racking my brain for a nice song / music for emma to walk into the room to on our wedding its down to two for me but any other advice and help needed but remember its got to be short also, my two are, better, by tom baxter and i forgot the other , it will come to me :icon_lol::icon_lol:
why not use this Steve...everytime I hear this at weddings, I almost cry! such a lovely song!:heartshape1:

YhkqVhOyhmo

katerry
4th October 2010, 01:26
i go for GOD is GOOD ALL THE TIME...weeeeeeeeeee......:Wave::Wave::Wave::Wave::Wave::Wave:

katerry
4th October 2010, 01:27
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDgTtuAY4vU

stevewool
4th October 2010, 08:25
soon it will be xmas songs i love carols and xmas songs makes me feel good and exceited about my presents from emma :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

rani
4th October 2010, 14:48
i go for GOD is GOOD ALL THE TIME...weeeeeeeeeee......:Wave::Wave::Wave::Wave::Wave::Wave:
:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

jam07
4th October 2010, 15:21
for me its 'Sana'y Wala ng Wakas'... great lyrics and melody. One of the immortal songs of Sharon Cuneta. Its the first song I sung in front of the whole class way back in grade school. Also the songs of Karen Carpenters are special to me. My sister and I use to sing her songs. My sister's singing voice sounds like karen c. We sing duet most of the time and when she cant reach the higher note, I sing it instead. lol.... these comments make me miss my sister more and our time together... :(

purple
4th October 2010, 16:20
mine is "Ngayon at Kailanman" by Basil Valdez, its so full of passion makes me thing of the good things in the world. and also "Hanggang" by Wency Cornejo. A true filipino ballad that describes our being latin asian nowhere else in south-east asia you can feel and find.

forester
4th October 2010, 18:52
Steve, the christmas decorations have been put up today in the village near here, does that mean emma gets to give you presents now?

stevewool
4th October 2010, 21:25
:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol: the only present i get is good food, manicures , massage, and great company what else can i ask for :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Languish
4th October 2010, 21:29
The list is far too long to share here - so many songs have great lyrics that make you think of time in a sunny place with someone you love...

malditako
5th October 2010, 08:57

this is the song in my wedding...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQ49SoWEjAo&feature=related

malditako
5th October 2010, 08:58
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQ49SoWEjAo&feature=related

malditako
5th October 2010, 09:06
and this one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOcAybrR0mQ

among others

"hope that i dont fall in love with you"
"grow old with you"

:)

forester
5th October 2010, 11:07
Steve, by the sound of it you have Christmas everyday!