PDA

View Full Version : passports with less tan 6months validity

junior02
10th October 2010, 20:15
Hi has anybody travelled to philippines with less than 6months validity. I no the rule is that it has to be valid for 6months beyound your return date, but just relised my passport expires 27 april 2011 and im going to rp on 29 of this month and return on 22nd of november this year. Just wonderd how strict the airlines and the immigration in manila are of the 6month rule, if anybody has had experiance of this..

Terpe
10th October 2010, 20:19
If you are not RP passport holder. You need 6 months validity.
Check with the airline you will travel with.
The airline is the one who will turn you away at the check-in desk.
Don't take risks on this.

junior02
10th October 2010, 20:36
If you are not RP passport holder. You need 6 months validity.
Check with the airline you will travel with.
The airline is the one who will turn you away at the check-in desk.
Don't take risks on this.

thanks terpe, i was going to call singapore airline tomorow and ask. i was hoping it would be ok with them (find out tomorow) to save me over 100mile trip to newport passport office, that means time off work and no pay..

Arthur Little
10th October 2010, 21:07
thanks terpe, i was going to *call singapore airline tomorow and ask. i was hoping it would be ok with them (find out tomorow) to save me over 100mile trip to newport passport office, that means time off work and no pay..

:xxgrinning--00xx3: *Good idea! From my own experience, Singapore Airlines seem very "accommodating" in general ... but, best check out their stance as regards duration of passport validity, to be on the safe side.

junior02
10th October 2010, 21:14
:xxgrinning--00xx3: *Good idea! From my own experience, Singapore Airlines seem very "accommodating" in general ... but, best check out their stance on duration of passport validity, to be on the safe side.

hopefully they will say its ok, i will post in the week on what they say.

keithAngel
11th October 2010, 07:17
I travelled with Cathay and they checked my passport whicvh expires in june they didnt make the connection that my return was for April re passport not in there remit I guess, they did however blather on about how long I was staying as 30 days was the limit lol

I just said yes im leaving befor then at which point they shut up but it does mean in my view that if they think that any duration over21 days or 59 days with the visa in the passport could be questioned although you can pay and stay for at least 14 months befor needing to leave and return:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
11th October 2010, 07:30
The airlines are not at all interested in any problems you might have once in the Philippines.
Their concern is solely that there will be no entry issues connected with passport validity. The airline is concerned that they are responsible to fly you home at their expense.

KeithD
11th October 2010, 09:38
You can get a new one in a few days :xxgrinning--00xx3:

johncar54
11th October 2010, 14:17
I have emails from the Phil Embassy in Madrid and from Emirates Airline (copied below) that my wife, whose passport will run out in 6 weeks after the travel date from Spain to Manila, will have no problems.

One point to note. For the return trip we will need to notify the airline that her Travel Document (Passport, to you and me) has a new number.

From Embassy:-

Dear Mr. xxxxx,

There should be no problem with Philippine immigration authorities allowing a Filipino national into the Philippines, regardless of whether the Filipino national's passport is valid, expired or about to expire. We do however advise that you verify with the airline as we have had cases wherein airlines do not allow the passenger to board the plane because the passport is about to expire, especially if the flight has a lay over or a transit in another country. If your airline of choice says that this will not pose a problem to them, we likewise do not see the problem with your wife travelling to the Philippines and renewing her passport there.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have further questions.

Sincerely yours,

Philippine Embassy
Madrid, Spain

FROM AIRLINE

Dear Ms xxxxxxx,

Thank you for your mail.

You could travel to Manila with a passport validity of less than six months as you are a holding a Philippines passport.

We assure you our assistance at all times.

Kind Regards,
Nigel
Emirates On-line Team
Emirates
www.emirates.com

johncar54
11th October 2010, 14:32
You can get a new one in a few days :xxgrinning--00xx3:

I checked out renewing my wife's PP in Spain. It would have entailed a round trip of 700 miles, hotel, meals, the passport fee, the courier fee and then a wait of at least one month. Thus, apart from the waiting period around £400.

As she can travel on the present passport, no reason to go to all that bother and expense.

I also have a British friend who lives most of the time in Malaysia, he wanted to travel to Spain but his PP did not have 6 months validity and thus could not do so. Travelling to UK (his home country) was no problem. That what he did and renewed his PP there then came to Spain.

A person who looses their PP can travel back to their home country on a temporary PP which lasts for just one journey.

As Terpe says above. travelling to one's home country should create no problems.

I am sure for example in UK law a British Citizen does not need a PP to entry his country (you do not need a PP to live in your country of citizenship) although proving his status might cause delay at immigration.

RickyR
11th October 2010, 20:17
I just tried to check one of my crew in online with Singapore Airlines using a passport which had less then 6 months validity and it rejected the online check in. The airline however let him through at check in without a problem, but he was heading home to Asia. You can get a fasttrack passport replacement, and they will issue it to be valid until ten years from its current expiry date, so in effect you get that extra 6 months anyway!

junior02
11th October 2010, 21:01
i called singapore airlines this morning and explained that my passport expires 27 april that lstill left 5months after my return date, and they said they wouldent be able to except my passport on check inn. so i booked the premium service at newport passport office this week £127.50 and get new passport 4hours later. hope its easy to find as never been to newport or even wales b4.

Terpe
11th October 2010, 21:33
junior02, Better safe than sorry,:)
Enjoy your trip.:Cuckoo:

johncar54
12th October 2010, 07:13
Sorry I understood this question was posted by a Filipino National. What I said, and the emails I posted, were in relation to a Filipino travelling to RP.

I think it is probably a universal practice that airlines will never accept a passenger who does not have the minimum of 6 month validity

joebloggs
12th October 2010, 07:44
I think it is probably a universal practice that airlines will never accept a passenger who does not have the minimum of 6 month validity

i thought airlines can be fined, thats why the airline insists on it :Erm:

johncar54
12th October 2010, 07:53
If a person is not permitted to enter a country the airline has the responsibility of returning that person to the originating airport.

From some research, I believe that must be done on the first flight the airline has available, even if that means bouncing another passenger.

A problem would occur if the person had flown from a country which was not his country of nationality. In which case I would think the airline would have to fly the person to their originating airport. If they were then denied entry maybe the only option then open to the airline would be to fly the person to their country of nationality.

Expensive and complicated, thus they will not take a chance and who would blame them ?