PDA

View Full Version : difference between COLLEGES and UNIVERSITIES

Perez
19th October 2010, 20:06
whats the difference between COLLEGES and UNIVERSITIES??

and our pincipal from our COLLEGE advised us to take MASTERAL on HND, will the MASTERAL help us to secure a better JOB here?? because I met someone here who told me that studying HND is a waste of time and actually its not honored here in UK.. =(

Lancashirelad
19th October 2010, 21:08
Generally colleges offer courses below degree level and University's cover degree courses.

HND is a valid higher level qualification and can be used as a stepping stone to gain entry to a degree course. some universities will take students who have completed their HND onto either level 2 (second year) or level 3 (third year if a four year degree) of a degree course.

It is true however that many employers consider a degree much more valuable than a hnd.

If your currently in Phils its very difficult to gain a work visa for the UK whatever qualifications you have. Lots of information about this on this site you can search for.

What type of work do you wish to find after your studies are completed?

Perez
19th October 2010, 22:16
well I'm currently here in the UK taking HND in business management.. Ive been thinking a lot lately with regards to my studies here.. when i was in the Philippines an agent of one of the colleges here in the UK told me that after taking the HND program i can find a decent job here.. but when i got here i learned that i was mislead.. i did not gave time to study what the HND program was all about because it seemed like the agent was credible. well i learned from my lesson there. tsk.tsk.

anyway Im a nurse in the philippines i was enrolled before in HND in health and social care...but when i learned that i was not going to be able to practice my nursing skills here as a nurse after the so called program i shifted to HND in business and management. because i have this huge interest and experience in business management also.. currently my plan is to take Overseas Nursing Program for nurses but if things don't go as planned i was hoping to get a job that exposes me to business.... sigh, i hope everything goes well for me here. damn agents... =(

Perez
19th October 2010, 22:40
well currently I am already here in the UK, studying HND in Business and Management. when i was in the Philippines i met an agent representing my College that i am into at this time. the information that was relayed to me was after taking the HND program we can find a decent job here.. my mistake was i did not gave time to study this program first when i was still in the Philippines because she looks credible enough. and when i got here i learned that the info was not that accurate. thats me lesson there=(

I am a nurse in the Philippines and i when i got here i was enrolled before in HND health and social care, the agent told us in the Philippines that after taking the program we can practice our profession here as a nurse. but when i got here i learned that it was not true so what i did was instead of studying a course which i don't have an interest, i shifted to HND in business and management because i have a huge interest and experience in Business management.

my plans at the moment is to take the Overseas nursing program and take the adaptation program in order for me to practice my nursing skills here. but if everything don't go well as planned i was hoping i could have a job here that involves being expose in management and business. --sigh--, crappy agents. i hope everything works well for me here.

Arthur Little
20th October 2010, 12:27
Slightly :icon_offtopic: ... but what infuriates :cwm23: me, is that my wife graduated BSc with honours from the University of the South Eastern Philippines in the mid-1980s ... and thereafter taught for 22 years at a Government National High School. Yet ... here in UK ... :rolleyes: her degree is recognised as being equivalent only in standard to College-Level HNC or HND!! :doh

RickyR
20th October 2010, 18:17
Perez, the qualification 'may' enable you to move into employment, however if you use it as a stepping stone into a BSc then you increase your chances and have a fairly good qualification.
But even with a degree, it's more important 'What' subject matter you studied and 'Where'. For instance in the UK if you studied Medicine at Oxford or Law at Cambridge, that would be highly respected. Wheras if you studied Aromatherapy and Equine Science at Lincoln University, you might struggle a little more to find employment afterwards.
A degree is a great thing to have, but unfortunately it's not the key to success in this country anymore, unless its the right course, from the right place. A London based plumber (if you can find one) earns more then your average Teacher, Nurse or Junior Doctor etc!

Going on to Arthur Little's Point. When you look at it from an outside point of view, the normal education system in the Philippines is quite a let down, with its gaps and discrepancies, and whilst some educational institutions in the Philippines offer a very good standard of education, many more don't which makes it very difficult to benchmark the countries standards against those of the UK and US. When I visited the Cebu International School to enroll my daughter, we were discussing this and they said that if you wanted to gain entry to a US or UK university you would have to complete the full term, however should you wish to enter a Philippines University then you would normally leave 3 years earlier and complete the entry exams. Although looking at the grades of this school, it was very very good, and probably on par with a good UK Private School.

Terpe
20th October 2010, 18:27
Perez,
I don't want to be negative. All education and qualification is an asset.
However HND in Business and Management may not be what you think.
Why not try minimum DMS (Diplomoma in Management Studies) or better MBA.

Perez
20th October 2010, 20:12
:bigcry: I am little bit confuse now in what i am going to do.. do you guys have any advice for me I am open for any recommendation. i am still new here Ive been here only for a month I am still not familiar with the education/employment system here:Help1so th MBA can help me secure a job here??

Perez
20th October 2010, 20:14
and TERPE: can the MBA help secure a job here???

Terpe
21st October 2010, 08:52
Perez,
With the current economic and immigration conditiions it's always going to be difficult.
I can only share with you what you probably already know:-

Tier 1 points required has been increased from 95 to 100
(unless you are already here under Tier 1 in which case it remains at 95)

The points awarded to those who have an eligible MBA have increased from 75 to 80.

dontpushme
23rd October 2010, 21:33
Haha! I think the Tier 1 thing is dumb. Even if I had a PhD, I'd still have a better chance of seeing my bf in the UK if I worked as a nanny in France than if I tried to get in the UK on my own. That "this is how much you should have earned last year" requirement is just ridiculous! :icon_lol: If I didn't have a boyfriend in the UK, I'd be happy to go home to the Philippines and fix the place instead of losing sleep over whether I'll ever be with him.

What a scam...:NoNo: :D Obviously, I'm not pissed off about MBAs being assigned over twice the number of points that other masters degrees are assigned.:rolleyes: It's just ridiculous that scientists are reduced to this. It feels like I'd be grovelling for entry if I got an MBA just to go to the UK. But that's just me. I've already got way too much education in me (thanks to my demanding scientist of a father). No sense cramming more in there. :dohAnyway, I'm done ranting.

joebloggs
23rd October 2010, 21:41
the gov want young, well educated and well paid people to come to the UK :cwm24:

dontpushme
23rd October 2010, 21:43
the gov want young, well educated and well paid people to come to the UK :cwm24:

I am young and well-educated. I just haven't had the chance to earn as much money as they want me to have earned in the 12 months before I went to grad school.:Rasp:

joebloggs
23rd October 2010, 21:56
well a lot of Indians and Pakistanis get here on tier 1 visas :Erm:

dontpushme
23rd October 2010, 22:24
Because a lot of Indians and Pakistanis have three master's degrees, five bachelor's degrees, a couple of PhDs and a partridge in a pear tree.:rolleyes:

Rosie1958
23rd October 2010, 22:28
Perez,
I don't want to be negative. All education and qualification is an asset.
However HND in Business and Management may not be what you think.
Why not try minimum DMS (Diplomoma in Management Studies) or better MBA.

PLease do correct me if I am wrong but I thought that one needed at least 2 years supervisory or management experience to undertake the DMS. I did the qualification below DMS a few years ago - Post Graduate Certificate in Management with Nottingham Trent University and a pre-requiste of taking this was actually having a degree .........

I'm afraid that qualifications alone will not secure a job in the UK, although they do help in the selection process. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Arthur Little
24th October 2010, 02:26
I'm afraid that qualifications alone will not secure a job in the UK ...

... :iagree: UK? yUK! thank God, I'm retired..

fred
24th October 2010, 03:43
OK..Complete academic retard about to join in...Me!!
(hated school and started work at 16)
The question is regarding my kids that are studying here in Bohol in private education..We were seriously thinking about returning in a couple of years so they could start their GCSE and A level courses and then onto UNI if they wish... Trust me,if there is ANY way to avoid this I am ALL EARS!!
After reading this thread I am starting to see another route to a UK university for them..
If they finish high school here and go to a UK college at 16 to gain HND qualifications will that be the alternative route into UNI for them??
Any advice will be very much appreciated..
Cheers,
Fred.

mikey73
24th October 2010, 07:34
The question is regarding my kids that are studying here in Bohol in private education..We were seriously thinking about returning in a couple of years so they could start their GCSE and A level courses and then onto UNI if they wish... Trust me,if there is ANY way to avoid this I am ALL EARS!!
After reading this thread I am starting to see another route to a UK university for them..
If they finish high school here and go to a UK college at 16 to gain HND qualifications will that be the alternative route into UNI for them??
Cheers,
Fred.

hi fred
i did an HND then went to uni. i dont have any highers from school but some uni courses accept an HND as acceptable quaifications. it was an art school i went to, to study design. i got into the first year of the course. in my year we had 5 people that came to the course through the HND route. i really think it depends on what quailifcations the person has and what course they are applying to for an HND to be accepted.

joebloggs
24th October 2010, 08:53
Cheers,
Fred.

well if you know of a uni course in the phils they might be interested in doing,
see if you can check with http://www.naric.org.uk/index.asp?page=1 what that degree would be equivalent to in the UK b4 they start.

Terpe
24th October 2010, 08:57
fred,
I'm way off the right age to provide relevant info on Uni entrance etc.
But just recently the news has been full of stories about how difficult it is to secure a place these days. Seems to be that far more people are eligible to apply than the actual number of places available. Consequently Universities are becoming very picky.
Maybe someone here can provide some first hand experience.

RickyR
24th October 2010, 09:22
Fred, why not when they get to that age consider sending them across to Cebu or Manila to one of the schools offering the 'International Baccalaureate', this is now the preferred qualification in the UK Public Schools and Top Private Schools, is superior to the GCSE's and A Levels and gives you kids a wider range of Universities whether it's in the UK, USA or Asia. Would also be considerably cheaper doing it here in the Philippines, and they could live with extended family.

fred
24th October 2010, 09:32
well if you know of a uni course in the phils they might be interested in doing,

No idea Joe..They are 11 and 13!!
Hopefully it will be a British UNI and not a Filipino one!

fred,
I'm way off the right age to provide relevant info on Uni entrance etc.
But just recently the news has been full of stories about how difficult it is to secure a place these days. Seems to be that far more people are eligible to apply than the actual number of places available. Consequently Universities are becoming very picky.
Maybe someone here can provide some first hand experience.

Thks Terpe.. My eldest goes to Sheffield after 6 other offers but then he had A levels! Hopefully as you say,someone here has some experience and can give me some guidance.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

fred
24th October 2010, 09:48
Fred, why not when they get to that age consider sending them across to Cebu or Manila to one of the schools offering the 'International Baccalaureate', this is now the preferred qualification in the UK Public Schools and Top Private Schools, is superior to the GCSE's and A Levels and gives you kids a wider range of Universities whether it's in the UK, USA or Asia. Would also be considerably cheaper doing it here in the Philippines, and they could live with extended family.

Thanks Ricky.. Do you have the names of the schools.. Must admit..Never heard of a 'International Baccalaureate' Sounds like an intriguing qualification..
Any other info?
thanks,
fred.

fred
24th October 2010, 09:58

Thanks Ricky.. Do you have the names of the schools.. Must admit..Never heard of a 'International Baccalaureate' Sounds like an intriguing qualification..
Any other info?
thanks,
fred.

RickyR
24th October 2010, 10:16
www.ismanila.org
www.britishschoolmanila.org
www.cis.edu.ph

And a few articles on the IB vs A Levels

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/schools/international-baccalaureate-why-the-broad-ib-beats-alevels-395262.html
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/education/5156108.stm
http://www.rivierareporter.com/content/view/1023/53/

fred
25th October 2010, 01:02
Just noticed the British school in Manila link Ricky..
I checked their prices before and for both kids for one year it came to almost 20,000 Pounds a year..Now that amount could seriously hit my beer fund.
I`ll check the others though...Thanks.
BTW.. How long is the course and what age do they start?

Terpe
25th October 2010, 06:46
fred, keep a watchful eye on UK university fees.
These are set to increase significantly over the coming years. The govt still undecided
if a 'cap' will be put into place or if uni's will be allowed to charge whatever they will.

joebloggs
25th October 2010, 08:15
Just noticed the British school in Manila link Ricky..
I checked their prices before and for both kids for one year it came to almost 20,000 Pounds a year..Now that amount could seriously hit my beer fund.
I`ll check the others though...Thanks.
BTW.. How long is the course and what age do they start?

fred, keep a watchful eye on UK university fees.
These are set to increase significantly over the coming years. The govt still undecided
if a 'cap' will be put into place or if uni's will be allowed to charge whatever they will.

if your thinking of sending your kids in the phils to Uni in the UK fred, you might have to pay international fees for them :cwm24:

fred
25th October 2010, 15:13
if your thinking of sending your kids in the phils to Uni in the UK fred, you might have to pay international fees for them :cwm24:

Do you mean they will have to be UK resident for a certain period before they are eligable for loans/grants etc?

joebloggs
25th October 2010, 15:39
Do you mean they will have to be UK resident for a certain period before they are eligable for loans/grants etc?

yes basically there are exceptions but your looking at 3yrs i think, something you need to verify Fred b4 you do anything. i might be wrong but i don't think so.

if it is 3 yrs and you still want them at a Uk uni, might be a good idea to get them back here for A levels (6 form you might not have to pay :Erm: not sure, but at a college you might - same rules ?)
and get them to take a yr out in the uk, and then apply for uni at home fees ..

i'm not 100% sure, but you need to look into b4 you do anything..

joebloggs
25th October 2010, 15:41
http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/student/fees_student_support.php

fred
25th October 2010, 16:03
might be a good idea to get them back here for A levels (6 form you might not have to pay

I was under the impression that they need good GCSE grades before they can do an A level course??

joebloggs
25th October 2010, 16:40
I was under the impression that they need good GCSE grades before they can do an A level course??

i think its up to the college what qualifications are required.

but a quick look at Oxford uni :rolleyes: they list international quals, but phils is not there :NoNo:

thou ricky's International Baccalaureate is :D

http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate_courses/international_students/international_qualifications/index.html

i was going to send my stepson on a course (cant remember if it was A level or HNC) but they wanted him to pay Int fees :angry:

Terpe
28th October 2010, 14:49
fred
Just for your interest about International Baccalaureate and points:-
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/EducationAndLearning/QualificationsExplained/DG_10039027